Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,129 members, 7,814,945 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:08 AM

Phcn System Collapse Plunges Country Into Darkness - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Phcn System Collapse Plunges Country Into Darkness (7354 Views)

Time To Probe The Corruption In EEDC As 50 Communities Are Thrown Into Darkness! / Phcn Throws President Jonathan Into Darkness / How Pchn Has Been Throwing Ikorodu Into Darkness For The Past 3 Weeks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Phcn System Collapse Plunges Country Into Darkness by JUO(m): 12:39pm On Dec 30, 2010
we are supposed to have light 20days in one month, that is 2days on one day off. with the nature of things now, out of these 20days we may get 10hrs in 1day when there is oil or fuse in the transformer
Re: Phcn System Collapse Plunges Country Into Darkness by medjai(m): 12:40pm On Dec 30, 2010
na today? shocked shocked angry grin
Re: Phcn System Collapse Plunges Country Into Darkness by MaJBlige(f): 12:53pm On Dec 30, 2010
I still wonder why these foreigners put mouth in matters concerning Nigeria. Eager to talk on anything negative about Nigeria. Why do you bother? LOL.
Re: Phcn System Collapse Plunges Country Into Darkness by question(m): 12:54pm On Dec 30, 2010
Na today? 95% of nigerians will not even notice this PHCN system collapse or strike action.
The country has been in darkness for ages.
All types of darkness (Political, Economical, Adminstrative Religious/Spiritual, Educational darknesses).
Re: Phcn System Collapse Plunges Country Into Darkness by metrixauto: 1:01pm On Dec 30, 2010
It is very sad,ave said it time without number even if they achieve stable power supply,sustanability is the problem,see they got to 3600mw and the whole thing collapse again and the funiest thing is that GEJ has been using stable power /fuel supply slogan as his achievement,honestly nothing has change
Re: Phcn System Collapse Plunges Country Into Darkness by fukkyjohn: 1:04pm On Dec 30, 2010
people are really suffering pls help us
Re: Phcn System Collapse Plunges Country Into Darkness by bigfat: 1:39pm On Dec 30, 2010
dem wan stress jonathan
Re: Phcn System Collapse Plunges Country Into Darkness by anonimi: 1:44pm On Dec 30, 2010
Chase the Hooligans-in-Power (HiPs) out and vote in better candidates.

Remember to RSVP -

Register;
Select and sponsor(your candidates);
Vote;
Protect your votes;

Let this be our motto for this election period.
Copy and text the motto to as many as possible on your GSM (and/or email) and several times during the voter registration period.
One Man, One Vote!!!
Re: Phcn System Collapse Plunges Country Into Darkness by Nobody: 2:21pm On Dec 30, 2010
Since xmass eve till 27th we had no light, when they started bringing for like two hrs/day on d average, candle-light is far better! Is it the system collapse that caused this? I think the sale of that PHCN suld be speeded up.
Re: Phcn System Collapse Plunges Country Into Darkness by Ugeh: 2:49pm On Dec 30, 2010
This goes a long way to show Nigerians how "SERIOUS" OBJ,PDP,GEJ , NASS, et al are about  power reforms and /or road map. We talk as if we live in Siberia where gas is the ONLY energy source. If we are serious about improving the power situation why can we diversify into other forms of power generation. With $16+ could we not include one coal powered Gen. station at Enugu where we have aboundant coal deposits? Could we not woo in some foreign companies to build a few wind turbines along our coastal states where we have wind? Could we not have put up solar farms in the hot waste lands of our Sahel states where average temperature is 40o? How about the mountains of rubbish littering our city streets? Must the whole Nation remain tie to an unstable national grid at all times? Nigerians please wake up. Your destiny is in your own hands. Our politicians mean us no good. All their programmes are TROJANS. They are only out there to STEAL our commonwealth. They started with NIPP(National Independent Power Projects), Odili Stole a fortune and no results came out of it. Ibom Power was another Drain pipe and today Akwa Ibom is still depending on the national grid. All other NIPP projects are either in a stand still or moving at snails speed. How long will it take Nigeria if we were to embark on building a nuclear power plant? Now it is the ROADMAP alias PRIVATIZATION. Headed by a Professor of Robotics whose own  Generation Station( I mean PERSONAL Generation station,built not as an effigy but for business) is still not able to Generate  1watt[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]. of electric power. Who on God's own earth will want to put his money in such disorganised and decaying set up? Sell licence to serious minded people to start their own companies. Give out PHCN to scrap metal dealers to dismantle ( afterall they have only outdated cobweb aluminium conductors, burnt armoured cables and old transformers whose oil have long expired, disfiguring our towns and cities). Send the illiterate ladder carrying buzzards away. Pay them whatever they want- it wont make them any better though.[b][/b] My post may sound defeatist but far from it. I am a Proud Nigerian and I know what my countrymen and women are capable of doing. YES WE CAN. we can turn things around for the better if we rise up to the rot in the political arena. We must kick BAD POLITICIANS OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We should expose them and their evil dealings. Our media men and women should tell NNPC,PHCN,GEJ,OBJ,NASS to stop feeding Nigerians with Poo! What if the gas eventually dries up ( which experts say it will in the future), will that be the end of electricity in Nigeria? Come oooooooooonnnn!!!! Let our media go to this energy installations with hidden cameras and bring out what the real deal is.
Re: Phcn System Collapse Plunges Country Into Darkness by Kx: 3:11pm On Dec 30, 2010
No power, yet power bill increases instead of decreases.
How come civil liberty NGO's and Gani Fawehmi/keyamo type of lawyers dont ever sue nepa
for crazily billing the masses without providing power services??
Re: Phcn System Collapse Plunges Country Into Darkness by calddon(m): 3:13pm On Dec 30, 2010
three institutions i hate in Nigeria NPF, PHCN, MTN.
Re: Phcn System Collapse Plunges Country Into Darkness by Moralistli(m): 3:26pm On Dec 30, 2010
That is on of the characteristic of a failed nation.. These things never baffle me. do u think that what is going on in Ivory Coast can not happen in this Republic of banana called Niger area?
Re: Phcn System Collapse Plunges Country Into Darkness by VALIDATOR: 3:38pm On Dec 30, 2010
Guys, do you know that power failure problem actually hunted Nigeria into space? Nigeria's satellite that derailed from it's orbit recently was due to power failure in it's operation.
Re: Phcn System Collapse Plunges Country Into Darkness by Moralistli(m): 3:47pm On Dec 30, 2010
one of d characteristics of failed economy /Republic of banana. I can bet half of my fortune  that  'dis country called Niger area will not know peace until d Niger Deltans are so much empowered to prove to others that they are really the inhabitants of the Delta region of d nation, D big heart,D heart beat, D treasure base and abt 4 others. What is a country made up of? How does a developing country that is actually striving to develope in all shere of life function? Says, Omaba. A potential rebel! iiiii ddddddey vvvvvex. Their father!
Re: Phcn System Collapse Plunges Country Into Darkness by Moralistli(m): 4:02pm On Dec 30, 2010
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guys, do you know that power failure problem actually hunted Nigeria into space? Nigeria's satellite that derailed from it's orbit recently was due to power failure in it's operation.

Pathetic, can u imagin that?, let not deceive ourselves. '' dackness is darkness. Enter your house without light, and see whether u can do anything, Deliberate-wickedness,Doom, Dackness, Dull, Disease.death and finally dead, Darkness ''Nigeria's way of life''I have been to 21 countries in three continents, No hope of any speedy economical/infrastructural development without a steady power supply,
Una go hear 4rm me soon.
Re: Phcn System Collapse Plunges Country Into Darkness by nwaigbomg(m): 4:07pm On Dec 30, 2010
1 step forward, 1000 steps backward. i don tire for this country[/i][i][color=#006600][/color] shocked cool
Re: Phcn System Collapse Plunges Country Into Darkness by HamidO1(m): 4:08pm On Dec 30, 2010
question:

Na today? 95% of nigerians will not even notice this PHCN system collapse or strike action.
All types of darkness (Political, Economical, Adminstrative Religious/Spiritual, Educational darknesses).

Best believe, all types of darkness infact PDP darkness too.
Re: Phcn System Collapse Plunges Country Into Darkness by HamidO1(m): 4:13pm On Dec 30, 2010
calddon:

three institutions i hate in Nigeria NPF, PHCN, MTN.

I think you should hate only one instead cos they have the power to fix the three you listed, Hate PDP, Kick them out and see if things won't change.
Re: Phcn System Collapse Plunges Country Into Darkness by nwaigbomg(m): 4:14pm On Dec 30, 2010
1 step forward, 1000 steps backward. i don tire for this country[/i][i][color=#006600][/color] shocked cool
Re: Phcn System Collapse Plunges Country Into Darkness by Nobody: 4:18pm On Dec 30, 2010
Hamid O:

I think you should hate only one instead cos they have the power to fix the three you listed, Hate PDP, Kick them out and see if things won't change.

i know the owner of that name: HAMID-O_E
Re: Phcn System Collapse Plunges Country Into Darkness by DrKnow1(m): 4:41pm On Dec 30, 2010
And we are planning to own and manage nuclear power stations! God save Nigeria
Re: Phcn System Collapse Plunges Country Into Darkness by nwaigbomg(m): 4:43pm On Dec 30, 2010
it is very painful, in Kontagora, Niger state, we used to have atleast 18 to 20 hours of power supply on daily bases, but now no more for the past 4 or 5 days, now it not up to 8 hours everyday, i feel sad about this mess. nigerian are willing to pay amount for electricity bill if there will constant power supply in this country, without power no nation can achieve a meaningful development especially in the area of economic growth, without light i can't have access to internet from my house. it is painful, if FG can give state governments adequate suppport and power to generate their on electricity i believe this problem will be over because no state government will be lagging behind, they will take as a challange to make an input atleast to serve their various state, [/b]but since FG is controling everything, all the states feel less concerned[b], even if a nut of ^50 spoils in our hydro plant, we wiil all wait for FEDERAL GOVERNMENT, IT IS PAINFUL INDEED
Re: Phcn System Collapse Plunges Country Into Darkness by nwaigbomg(m): 4:55pm On Dec 30, 2010
I HEARD THAT LAST YEAR, CHINA COMMISSIONED A HYDRO DAM THAT GENERATE 10,000MW, IT COST THEM LESS 1OB$ AND TOOK THEM LESS THAN 1 YEAR TO BUILD IT. THE MOST PAINFUL THING IS THE AMOUNT OF MONEY THE THROW INTO THIS SECTOR IN NIGERIA HAS NOTHING TO SHOW FOR IT, IF U CALCULATE ALL THE MONEY SPENT ON ELECTRICITY SINCE 1999 TO DATE ONLY, U WILL FIND OUT THAT U CAN USE IT TO GENERATE POWER FOR THE WHOLE OF AFRICA ( BILLIONS OF DOLLARS)
Re: Phcn System Collapse Plunges Country Into Darkness by debosky(m): 5:05pm On Dec 30, 2010
Beaf:

There are serious issues with our gas supply infrastructure. For instance, the SE (for reasons best known to past govts) is completely cut off from the rest of the country gas wise, whereas Eastern Nigeria is very important in gas production. Port Harcourt is in the East, same as our highest oil producing state, Akwa ibom, same as Bayelsa and Rivers.
The problem is so gross, that there could be abundant gas coming from Delta state, but absolutely none in the East and vice-versa. How we could have ended up with such an arrangement is beyond me. It ranks right up there with how we signed all of our gas supplies to foreign countries up till 2015. Way above that though, is that it is a serious security problem for the country, if an enemy were to attack, then the isolation of the East would make it easy to knock out 100% of Nigeria's power supply, a very dire situation indeed.

There might be some lopsidedness in terms of the gas supply infrastructure, that doesn't appear to have been a cause in this instance. The prime problems as I see it are

- weakness/lack of robustness of the national grid (one large station outage can take the whole system down)

- overdependence on gas supplies

- lack of contingency planning

Firstly, Afam VI is in the 'East' as you call it, but is receiving sufficient gas supply and generating c.400MW. Trans Amadi and Omoku seem to be generating sufficiently considering their capacity so that isn't really the issue in this case.

Most of the gas produced in the 'East' as you call it is already being sent to Bonny for LNG so you can't simply divert the gas to power stations, and the Akwa Ibom gas should not be supplying Egbin which is so far away as such.

The issue here is emergency preparedness - I read a while ago that Egbin's turbines were being modified to fire 'black oil' or LPFO when gas is not available. What should be done is that sufficient storage capacity (e.g. a week's worth) of LPFO should be provided so you have an alternate back up for losing gas supply temporarily.

Further to that, we need large power stations like Egbin in other locations that aren't as susceptible to gas losses (e.g. a coal plant generating 1500MW) to support base production and have the ability to keep the grid online if we lose big sources like Egbin.
Re: Phcn System Collapse Plunges Country Into Darkness by debosky(m): 5:11pm On Dec 30, 2010
nwaigbo_mg:

I HEARD THAT LAST YEAR, CHINA COMMISSIONED A HYDRO DAM THAT GENERATE 10,000MW, IT COST THEM LESS 1OB$ AND TOOK THEM LESS THAN 1 YEAR TO BUILD IT. THE MOST PAINFUL THING IS THE AMOUNT OF MONEY THE THROW INTO THIS SECTOR IN NIGERIA HAS NOTHING TO SHOW FOR IT, IF U CALCULATE ALL THE MONEY SPENT ON ELECTRICITY SINCE 1999 TO DATE ONLY, U WILL FIND OUT THAT U CAN USE IT TO GENERATE POWER FOR THE WHOLE OF AFRICA ( BILLIONS OF DOLLARS)

We need to separate factual comments from wild accusations.

The Three Gorges Dam in China cost far over $30bn to build and construction started in 1994, with first electricity coming in 2003.

While we can be far more efficient in our resource use, let's not get carried away.
Re: Phcn System Collapse Plunges Country Into Darkness by nwaigbomg(m): 5:14pm On Dec 30, 2010
EVERYDAY WHAT WE HEAR IS POWER REFORM BILL THIS AND THAT,,,,,,,,,,,,, ABOUT 2 MONTHS AGO, A BILL OF POWER REFORM WAS SENT TO NATIONAL ASSEMBLY TO SIGN FOR IMPLEMENTATION, THE SPEAKER BANKOLE REFUSED TO SIGN IT, WHY? HE SAID THAT THE IMPORTATION AND DISTRIBUTION OF GENERATIOR IS A BILLION DOLLAR BUSSINESS AND THAT CANNOT DO ANY THAT DOES NOT GUARANTEE THE INTEREST OF THE STECK HOLDERS, NIGERIANS WERE BAFFLED AT HIS
POSITION, IMAGINE SUCH LEADERS, HE ALWAYS ENJOY LIGHT IN HIS OFFICE AND RESIDENTIAL AREA WITHOUT HOW MUCH GOVERNMENT IS SPENDING ON FUELLING THE GENERATORS, IT NOT ALL NIGERIANS THAT CAN AFFORD GENERATOR NOT TALK OF REFUELLING THEM EVERYDAY, IT IS REALLY SAD,
Re: Phcn System Collapse Plunges Country Into Darkness by nwaigbomg(m): 5:16pm On Dec 30, 2010
EVERYDAY WHAT WE HEAR IS POWER REFORM BILL THIS AND THAT,,,,,,,,,,,,, ABOUT 2 MONTHS AGO, A BILL OF POWER REFORM WAS SENT TO NATIONAL ASSEMBLY TO SIGN FOR IMPLEMENTATION, THE SPEAKER BANKOLE REFUSED TO SIGN IT, WHY? HE SAID THAT THE IMPORTATION AND DISTRIBUTION OF GENERATIOR IS A BILLION DOLLAR BUSSINESS AND THAT CANNOT DO ANY THAT DOES NOT GUARANTEE THE INTEREST OF THE STECK HOLDERS, NIGERIANS WERE BAFFLED AT HIS
POSITION, IMAGINE SUCH LEADERS, HE ALWAYS ENJOY LIGHT IN HIS OFFICE AND RESIDENTIAL AREA WITHOUT HOW MUCH GOVERNMENT IS SPENDING ON FUELLING THE GENERATORS, IT NOT ALL NIGERIANS THAT CAN AFFORD GENERATOR NOT TALK OF REFUELLING THEM EVERYDAY, IT IS REALLY SAD,
Re: Phcn System Collapse Plunges Country Into Darkness by 4llerbuntu(m): 5:43pm On Dec 30, 2010
aha, naw phcn workers are beginning to show their true colors

evil men of darkness who will forever reside in darkness till their years are numbered.

shebi this is the worst they will do, collapse the infrastructure. maybe someone needs to wake dem up from their slumber, THEY WERE DEAD ALREADY BEFORE NOW!!!

validating it is just an afterthought.

these is the time some fools need a bullet in the head seriously. i hope GEJ has the balls to put some sense in them. this is no time for kid gloves, this is an opportunity to deal with this issues PERMANENTLY.

to think these were the dumb fcuks who were protesting the sale, see how much they love nigerians? i shake my head, they dont just get IT, CHANGE IS INEVITABLE!!! DARKNESS MUST LEAVE DIS COUNTRY
Re: Phcn System Collapse Plunges Country Into Darkness by MaJBlige(f): 6:14pm On Dec 30, 2010
Two months running - there was constant electricity in my area in Abuja. Very constant, if it goes off- within the minute, it will be restored, and I guessed so many other parts of Nigeria experienced same. When this was happening, none of the people here came forward to start a thread praising GEJ or PHCN, but suddenly, there is a techinal fault and people begin to write heavy English and crying how their money had been stolen. Na wa for Naija people. Abeg, chop chill pill and let things work out. People are not sleeping as you want everyone here to believe.
Re: Phcn System Collapse Plunges Country Into Darkness by Faun(m): 6:19pm On Dec 30, 2010
Naija na waa!
Re: Phcn System Collapse Plunges Country Into Darkness by mrofficial(m): 6:21pm On Dec 30, 2010
question:

My guy, no single lie for the list. sad

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

BREAKING News:gowon Recieves A Trauma-filled Emotional Punch.!!! / Pictures:mavins Crew, YBNL Nation, Davido Storms APC Rally / PIX: See What Vanguard Newspaper Posted

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.