Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,896 members, 7,814,030 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:07 AM

Welcome To A Place Of Firsts – Oyo Nigeria - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Welcome To A Place Of Firsts – Oyo Nigeria (332 Views)

Welcome To Abuja, Most Beautiful City In West Africa / Welcome To Oshodi Bus Interchange, Lagos / Welcome To Algeria ! ( Pics ) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Welcome To A Place Of Firsts – Oyo Nigeria by Liesel81(f): 12:14pm On Apr 02, 2020
What can you expect of Oyo? Oyo is in the south west geopolitical region in Nigeria. It has a population of over 5 million people predominately of the Yoruba tribe. The landmass is over 28,000 square kilometers. The landscape is made up of lots of hard formed rocks and semi shaped dome hills.

Taking a drive through the old parts of Ibadan allows you see firsthand how hilly the city is and how houses are built around rocks.

I think the first thing that comes to mind for me when I think of Oyo is the University of Ibadan. Maybe it’s because two of my siblings studied in UI as it is fondly called. Or perhaps because it is one of the oldest and most prestigious institution of education in Nigeria.

University of Ibadan was founded in 1948 as a college of the university of London. It became an autonomous institution in 1962. When I learnt I would visit this institution during one of its convocation ceremonies, my excitement doubled because it meant I would also experience a lot of traditional music.

I have called Oyo a place of firsts because alongside the University of Ibadan, it is also the home to one of the first TV stations in Africa NTA Ibadan, one of the first Skyscraper Cocoa house and the oldest stadium in Nigeria formerly known as Liberty Stadium now known as Obafemi Awolowo Stadium. The first African Bishop a formal Slave boy Samuel Ajayi Crowther who translated the bible to Yoruba Language is from Oyo.

A visit to Oyo affords you interactions with the Yoruba tradition (markets, festivals, music, food), history of education in Nigeria and beautiful landscapes starting from forests, rivers, rock formations and elevation.

During my 3 days in Oyo I was able to visit the following places
Ibadan
✓ Mapo Hall
✓ Bowers Tower
✓ National Museum of Unity
✓ Zoological Garden UI (Zoo)
✓ Agodi park/Gardens

Iseyin
✓ Ado Awaye suspended lake
✓ Asoke Weavers

Oyo
✓ Alaafin's Palace Oyo

Other recommended places that we didn’t make it to in Oyo are - Igbetti hills, IITA forest, Old Oyo National Park. Some prominent festivals in Oyo include Beere festival the ceremonial cutting and bringing home of thatch grass from fields,. The festival is held in February. Sango, Oke Ibadan, Egungun, Igunnuko, Gelede, Yemoja and New yam festival are also festivals to look out for.

Do enjoy your visit of Oyo – yours truly Liesel81

Re: Welcome To A Place Of Firsts – Oyo Nigeria by nlPoster: 12:18pm On Apr 02, 2020
You're intentionally saying Oyo instead of Oyo state because?

Seems to me Yorubaland is under attack, and not necessarily from outsiders only.

(1) (Reply)

CORONAVIRUS: Expired UAE Residency, Visit Visa To Remain Valid Until End 2020 / In The United States, The White And Black Mentality Issues / "I Saw Fire Everywhere" Survivor Of The Pakistan Air Crash Recount (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.