Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,245 members, 7,822,269 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 09:14 AM

Is New Year Overrated - Events - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Events / Is New Year Overrated (4205 Views)

Is This Concept "Birthday" Overrated??? / Why Is New Year Mostly Celebrated By Christian (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is New Year Overrated by thweraja10: 11:19am On Dec 31, 2010
At the end of the year you see people all rushing to the Church and now some Islamic sect even observe this day to pray. Now the question is this is the New year different from all other new day. And whats so special about it. Please dont get me wrong im not against it. I just wanna know your opinion cos people see it differently To some people the New year is like every other year while to others it holds the key to their success and greater life. So what do you think?

All replies are welcome!!
Re: Is New Year Overrated by tpia1: 4:10pm On Dec 31, 2010
it sort of is.

but nothing spoil sha.

it's okay to have a little fun.
Re: Is New Year Overrated by Areaboy2(m): 5:34pm On Dec 31, 2010
its just the excitement of life,

we are all happy to know we are still hanging on and moving forward,

thats all i guess
Re: Is New Year Overrated by natural101(m): 5:40pm On Dec 31, 2010
believe it or not, some folks lost their life today. moving into another year is a sign of prosperity & hope 4 a brighter future. and before i forget, a newyear is nothing like a new day, its worth celebrating
Re: Is New Year Overrated by Blazay(m): 5:40pm On Dec 31, 2010
Yes it is.
Like any other day of the year. . . but forced to be aknowleged.
No big deal about it.

Weda you die today or tomorrow. . .you don die rotten for grave be dat. . . the world moves on without you! cool

To me, every day is a special day to be thankful and alive.
Re: Is New Year Overrated by slap1(m): 5:51pm On Dec 31, 2010
Blazay:

Yes it is.
No big deal about it.

No, sir. It's different. Every other day is not a New Year.
Re: Is New Year Overrated by Blazay(m): 6:00pm On Dec 31, 2010
^
Read again.

Weda you die today or tomorrow. . .you don die rotten for grave be dat. . . the world moves on without you!

Go to sleep today and try to figure out what year it is in your dreams. cheesy
Re: Is New Year Overrated by Nobody: 6:07pm On Dec 31, 2010
@op
If you look through your neighbourhood and you seem to know people you started 2010 with but are no more,then you'd have cause to give thanks to God for seeing a new year.
Re: Is New Year Overrated by dotman2(m): 6:18pm On Dec 31, 2010
~Bluetooth:

@op
If you look through your neighbourhood and you seem to know people you started 2010 with but are no more,then you'd have cause to give thanks to God for seeing a new year.
. . . Absolutely
Re: Is New Year Overrated by MissyB3(f): 6:36pm On Dec 31, 2010
~Bluetooth:

@op
Thank You! cool

How can someone even think New year is overrated? undecided It's 5hrs 30 minutes to 2011 and to think at least 1 person alive now will not see the new year is enough reason to bring down the sky with shouts of Joy.

Baba God, thank You!
Re: Is New Year Overrated by mbola(f): 7:00pm On Dec 31, 2010
It's not overrated for me.
Re: Is New Year Overrated by DoubleN(m): 7:13pm On Dec 31, 2010
mbola:

It's not overrated for me.
Not for me too! If you look back on the year and see how much you have accomplished and how many close shaves you have had with death,you will indeed be grateful to God. Baba God Adupe!
Re: Is New Year Overrated by Mubz(m): 7:31pm On Dec 31, 2010
It is, Just another day,
Re: Is New Year Overrated by Ranoscky(m): 7:36pm On Dec 31, 2010
Missy ★ B:

Thank You! cool

How can someone even think New year is overrated? undecided It's 5hrs 30 minutes to 2011 and to think at least 1 person alive now will not see the new year is enough reason to bring down the sky with shouts of Joy.

Baba God, thank You!
5hrs, 30 munites? undecided WOW! I'v already been celebratin mine for 2hrs, 30munites now, and it's a great atmosphere!

Op, I think new year comes with new success!
Re: Is New Year Overrated by iz2much: 7:55pm On Dec 31, 2010
yeah i think its over rated
, please i need one more bottle jooor
Re: Is New Year Overrated by octar6: 8:00pm On Dec 31, 2010
Blazay:

Yes it is.
No big deal about it.

Weda you die today or tomorrow. . .you don die rotten for grave be dat. . . the world moves on without you! cool

To me, every day is a special day to be thankful and alive.

^^^^^^^^^
  Wise words from a wise man. grin grin grin
     You have taken the words out of my mouth. tongue grin
Re: Is New Year Overrated by MissyB3(f): 8:05pm On Dec 31, 2010
Ranoscky:

5hrs, 30 munites? undecided WOW! I'v already been celebratin mine for 2hrs, 30munites now, and it's a great atmosphere!
You're in Australia?
Re: Is New Year Overrated by arogbowei: 8:11pm On Dec 31, 2010
No big deal. But one should be grateful for witnessing another day on mother earth. Perhaps it helps some to contemplate the next 365 days, but to me i contemplate my actions everyday. So no big deal.
Re: Is New Year Overrated by Okaakoko(m): 8:48pm On Dec 31, 2010
to me the so called new year is just like any other day. I dont see anything special in it.
Re: Is New Year Overrated by orgasm(m): 9:11pm On Dec 31, 2010
i see it as a standard of measurement of the past year and project for the present one.
But if is an avenue for merriment and flexing to make us all happy in d midst of imperfections so be it. Kini big deal cool
Re: Is New Year Overrated by Ayowumie(m): 9:14pm On Dec 31, 2010
To many pipu, new year and festive periods ar usually over rated. It is been over rated wen u go borrowin to celebrate.

For me, evry new yr signals a new sigh of hope and waves of xpectatn. Wit dis comes songs of tnx to Almaity. Technically, there is no difrence in d make up of d days, it is stil d same 24 hrs per day and 7 days/wk but psychologically, dere is a feelin of xcitemnt dat tends to tel a man 'tnk God u ar alive, there is hope'. Ultimately 4 me, new yr means growth and advncmnt. It is worth all d celebratn and jubilatn. It is past 9 in naija wail it is past 12 in dubai, taiwan and hongkon. Hapy new year in advnce to Nigerians
Re: Is New Year Overrated by Saheed9: 9:17pm On Dec 31, 2010
Its just another day jor. Nothing special, by 10 i would have slept off and wake up tomorrow morning like any other day and if u dare greet me 'happy new year ' i wont answer u because i have been in my own new year 4 some weeks now
Re: Is New Year Overrated by Nobody: 9:19pm On Dec 31, 2010
Not overrated.
A new year is worth thanking God for.

It's just that the hypocrisy that goes with crossing over to the new year baffles me.
People speaking in tongues at 12 midnight.
By 1am they are fornicating and drunk.
Re: Is New Year Overrated by yusuf01(m): 9:22pm On Dec 31, 2010
I have been longing to ask the same question, it's just like any other day, if you think you should be thankful to God for sparing your life to see the new year, then you should be thankful to him for seeing every day. It's nothing but a standard of measurement, that's all. We attach alot to things, that's why you'll hear people saying some people didn't see the year, and for the fact that you have seen it, you should be thankful to God. Does that now make any other day of less importance because it is not new year? We should be thankful to God for seein each day, even God will appreciate that than thanking him for one day in a whole year.
Re: Is New Year Overrated by Nobody: 9:26pm On Dec 31, 2010
life is overated
Re: Is New Year Overrated by kcjazz(m): 9:50pm On Dec 31, 2010
I would rather prefer we treated everyday with the same antipation of a new year. It would be nice to start a day with prayers, great expectation and a to-do list for the day. It all adds up to make a year super productive and effective.

Thankfulness and gratitude is for everyday, people die everyday as well, its just that we don't know them.
Re: Is New Year Overrated by HamidO1(m): 10:08pm On Dec 31, 2010
It's a time for sober reflection I guess. Taking stock of the last twelve month and thanking God for the gift of life. For me it's a day to rest since there is always a break.
Re: Is New Year Overrated by ishow2005(m): 10:20pm On Dec 31, 2010
"The Roman ruler Julius Caesar established January 1 as New Year's Day in 46 BC. The Romans dedicated this day to Janus, the god of gates, doors, and beginnings. The month of January was named after Janus, who had two faces - one looking forward and the other looking backward." (World Book Encyclopedia)

i think it is overrated considering its origin ,
Re: Is New Year Overrated by jpworld(m): 11:03pm On Dec 31, 2010
New Year Is just like counting numbers, When you make money, it should be your new year,
Re: Is New Year Overrated by jpworld(m): 11:10pm On Dec 31, 2010
@ishow2005 We are not Romans, We are naija, we have different culture, Igbo people have eke, affor, orie, nkwo, and dey have there festive period then, now oyibo have sold our culture, and bring there own way to us, go to China, nobody cares about January 1, they have there own new year, same goes with Thailand, Japan, and other Asian countries.
Re: Is New Year Overrated by hustla(m): 11:28pm On Dec 31, 2010
highly overrated, itz jus like errday where u dnt knw which is ur last, live errday good tho'
Re: Is New Year Overrated by amurx(m): 1:05am On Jan 01, 2011
happy new year

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Swap Your Weave And Wig Hairstyles For Cornrows / People Born In December ( Find Ur Mate) / Christian(gospel) Drama- OMEGA VISION

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.