Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,849 members, 7,810,277 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:27 AM

Is Africa Really Less Affected By The Coronavirus, Or Is This Just The Case Of L - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Is Africa Really Less Affected By The Coronavirus, Or Is This Just The Case Of L (362 Views)

Coronavirus: Study Explains Why Men Are Affected More Than Women / 10 Ways To Protect Yourself And Family From The Coronavirus / Young Man Affected By Chemical Explosion At His Place Of Work Recovers (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Is Africa Really Less Affected By The Coronavirus, Or Is This Just The Case Of L by y3mi(m): 2:37am On Apr 05, 2020
Curled from quora.com

By

Zipho Tefu,
Future president at some unfortunate country.

Answer:

Less infected? Yes.

Less affected? Heck no!

I’m speaking from the perspective of a South African, one of the more developed African countries which has just gone into lockdown, and let me tell you something many people from first world countries fail to understand.

Social distancing is a privilege.

Read that again.

The ability to isolate yourself from those around is a privilege many people have taken for granted. It means you have a house large enough to do so. I’m privileged enough to practice social distancing. Something that isn’t possible when you live here:

That’s the Alexandra township in Johannesburg South Africa.

Hand-washing is a privilege too.

It means you have access to running water. Do you think there are bathrooms in the shacks pictured above?

Hand-sanitizer is a privilege.

It means you have money to buy it.

LOCKDOWNS ARE A PRIVILEGE.

It means you can afford to be at home. Many South Africans live paycheck to paycheck. Many South Africans have families to feed and no income to do so. Many South Africans will have to make the decision between starving to death at home or going outside and getting the coronavirus or worse, getting arrested.

Most of the ways to ward off the coronavirus are only accessible to the affluent.

Transport services such as taxis have been shut down. This creates a problem for those living in places such as this:

To travel to the town and stock up on basic essentials or receive medical attention.

The South African economy is crumbling fast. Much faster than the American economy which went into lockdown before us. The Rand to the Dollar is plummeting at an incredible rate. Small business owners such as my parents will have no income during this indefinite time period.

And don’t get me started on education.

All educational facilities have temporarily shut down and will soon implement online classes, including my university. This creates a problem for those without internet connection who may now fail their year. Or those who cannot afford to buy a laptop.

And as aforementioned, South Africa is one of the MOST developed African countries.

Many Africans don’t have access to or can’t afford healthcare in this time. In essence, a disease that was spread by the rich as they flew around the globe will now kill millions of the poor.

And some Americans are busy complaining about their “ruined” spring break.

I miss the homies too, but I’ll miss my grandma a lot more.

Is Africa less infected? Yes.

Is it less affected? HELL NO!

(Curled from quora)
Re: Is Africa Really Less Affected By The Coronavirus, Or Is This Just The Case Of L by y3mi(m): 2:38am On Apr 05, 2020
5g ain't the cause.

1 Like

Re: Is Africa Really Less Affected By The Coronavirus, Or Is This Just The Case Of L by changedinchrist: 5:17pm On Aug 03, 2020
y3mi...pls can you document your hallucinogen experience you said you wanted to document on that weed thread? I want to help someone so he sees a real life experience. Please document it or you can send it via pm. They don't know they are giving avenue for demons and spirits they don't know about.

Bless

(1) (Reply)

Lady's Hand Got Burnt After Using Alcohol Based Sanitizer To Wash Hands / Covid-19; Press Release By Hospital Where Man Allegedly Absconded In Anambra. / Gateman Who Traveled From Lagos To Kaduna Via Public Transport, Tests Positive

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.