Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,794 members, 7,820,787 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:38 PM

COVID 19:anti-parasite Drug Ivermectin Shown To Be Effective Against Coronavirus - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / COVID 19:anti-parasite Drug Ivermectin Shown To Be Effective Against Coronavirus (362 Views)

Moderna Vaccine More Effective Against Delta Than Pfizer And Johnson & Johnson / Remdesivir Proves Effective Against Coronavirus In US Study / People Who Have Contributed Monetarily To Fight Against Coronavirus In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

COVID 19:anti-parasite Drug Ivermectin Shown To Be Effective Against Coronavirus by Makavelli099(m): 7:00am On Apr 06, 2020
Researchers have found that Ivermectin — an FDA-approved anti-parasitic drug — was able to stop the SARS-CoV-2 virus from growing in cell cultures.
A team of Australian researchers at Monash University in Melbourne have found that Ivermectin — an FDA-approved anti-parasitic drug that has been used to effectively fight viruses including HIV, Influenza, and Zika — was able to stop the SARS-CoV-2 virus from growing in cell cultures.

While promising, the drug has yet to be shown to have the same effect inside the human body, because the Australian research was conducted “in vitro,” meaning it was in a Petri dish at a lab. The researchers are still trying to nail down funding for pre-clinical testing and clinical trials, after which they’d have to start the long approval process for the trials themselves.

The results, though, are promising. In just 48 hours, the scientists say, all genetic material of the virus was eradicated.

“We found that even a single dose could essentially remove all viral RNA by 48 hours and that even at 24 hours there was a really significant reduction in it,” Kylie Wagstaff, lead researcher and co-author of the study published today in Antiviral Research, said in a statement.

(1) (Reply)

Wuhan Is Emerging From Coronavirus Lockdown With Just One Mission To Survive. / Please Help Me I Don't Know What To Do Now I'm depressed / Fear Of Death Ran Wild In My Mind – COVID-19 Survivor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.