Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,280 members, 7,818,936 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:40 AM

Is The Omu Anioma The Only Female Throne In Igbo Land? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is The Omu Anioma The Only Female Throne In Igbo Land? (2352 Views)

HRH Prof Chukwuemeka Ike Is Dead, And No Heir To The Throne / Martha Dunkwu, The Omu Of Anioma: As Queen, I Can Only Marry A Woman / Meet Princess Taiwo Oyebolo Agbona, The Only Female Ruler In Ondo State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is The Omu Anioma The Only Female Throne In Igbo Land? by hammer0: 9:54pm On Apr 06, 2020
How significant is the Omu Anioma?cc pazienza, bigfrancis21 ishilove amarabae ngozi123 Dedetwo ChinenyeN selemempe, Lovelyn451, Armaggedon, SlayerForever, gidgiddy

Re: Is The Omu Anioma The Only Female Throne In Igbo Land? by hammer0: 9:59pm On Apr 06, 2020
Those that know me on this forum know that I always support the inclusiveness of women in Igbo affairs.

As a matter of fact, I only just recently discovered that their was a female throne in Igbo land.

I had assumed that the most powerful and relevant Monarchs were Kings and Men.

Thus, had previously advocated for a Female throne in Anambra from the Ojukwu lineage.

This was before i discovered the Omu Anioma.

Makes me wonder how significant is this Throne in the grand scheme of things in Ala-Igbo.

Re: Is The Omu Anioma The Only Female Throne In Igbo Land? by gidgiddy: 10:26pm On Apr 06, 2020
The Omu does not sit on any throne. She is just a traditional title holder
Re: Is The Omu Anioma The Only Female Throne In Igbo Land? by hammer0: 10:31pm On Apr 06, 2020
gidgiddy:

Really?

That was wat i thought, becos if their was a Female throne in Igboland, I would have known about it.

I only recently discovered a lady with Red cap and title Omu Anioma, I no come understand again. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Is The Omu Anioma The Only Female Throne In Igbo Land? by OruExpress: 10:34pm On Apr 06, 2020
most of the monarchs were british creations, and after the Women's War the British began dissolving women's titles and authority in Igboland because through them the resistance and coordination of the women's war was possible.

Igbo society is run by community congresses. Men's (Umunnadi) and Women's (Umuada). Both are separate and deal with separate affairs. Men's congress deals with laws concerning men, land, disputes between men, titles, wars, and diplomacy with other communities. Women's congress deals with market laws, disputes between women, integration of wives into community, etc. At any point each can elect a leader so if you want to call that a 'throne' you can, though there is no igbo word for 'throne'.

At certain times of the year, particular masquerade and title societies governed a town and these were usually male only and joined through initiation and training.

the last Omu of Onitsha was also the richest woman in Igboland in her time. Her land was used to build Onitsha Main Market (in case people still believe women 'couldn't own land')

it's also important to remember that it is an earned title and not an inherited 'throne'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omu_Okwei

2 Likes

Re: Is The Omu Anioma The Only Female Throne In Igbo Land? by hammer0: 10:35pm On Apr 06, 2020
@gidgiddy, Just so am not mistaking, this Omu Anioma title is no different to Omu Eze title of Stella Oduah right?

3 Likes

Re: Is The Omu Anioma The Only Female Throne In Igbo Land? by Nobody: 10:37pm On Apr 06, 2020
But Anioma people constantly state that they are not Igbos.
What concerns Omu or whatever her title is with the Igbos?

1 Like

Re: Is The Omu Anioma The Only Female Throne In Igbo Land? by Nobody: 10:38pm On Apr 06, 2020
We have Aniomaland and Igboland.
You don't muzzle the two together
Which one exactly.
mynd44 move this to culture section.

1 Like

Re: Is The Omu Anioma The Only Female Throne In Igbo Land? by hammer0: 10:39pm On Apr 06, 2020
J111333:
MelesZenawi:

Which one exactly.

Where are u both from?

Tell us the truth now, dont lie.

I hope not South West as usual?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is The Omu Anioma The Only Female Throne In Igbo Land? by Nobody: 10:39pm On Apr 06, 2020
hammer0:

Where are u both from?
Tell us the truth now, dont lie.
I hope not South West as usual?
Answer the question
Anu
Re: Is The Omu Anioma The Only Female Throne In Igbo Land? by hammer0: 10:42pm On Apr 06, 2020
MelesZenawi:

Answer the question

Anu

Wat question?
Re: Is The Omu Anioma The Only Female Throne In Igbo Land? by hammer0: 10:46pm On Apr 06, 2020
OruExpress:
most of the monarchs were british creations, and after the Women's War the British began dissolving women's titles and authority in Igboland because through them the resistance and coordination of the women's war was possible.

Igbo society is run by community congresses. Men's (Umunnadi) and Women's (Umuada). Both are separate and deal with separate affairs. Men's congress deals with laws concerning men, land, disputes between men, titles, wars, and diplomacy with other communities. Women's congress deals with market laws, disputes between women, integration of wives into community, etc. At any point each can elect a leader so if you want to call that a 'throne' you can, though there is no igbo word for 'throne'.

At certain times of the year, particular masquerade and title societies governed a town and these were usually male only and joined through initiation and training.

the last Omu of Onitsha was also the richest woman in Igboland in her time. Her land was used to build Onitsha Main Market (in case people still believe women 'couldn't own land')

it's also important to remember that it is an earned title and not an inherited 'throne'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omu_Okwei

I believe before the arrival of the British, Igbo women were included in all affairs of Igbo land and that included leadership.

The exclusive male domination of Igbo affairs began post colonization.

This was aided by the Church.

Igbo women are brilliant and given the same education opportunity as Igbo men.

The same university opportunity available to boys was made available to girls.

1 Like

Re: Is The Omu Anioma The Only Female Throne In Igbo Land? by Dedetwo(m): 10:50pm On Apr 06, 2020
hammer0:
@gidgiddy, Just so am not mistaking, this Omu Anioma title is no different to Omu Eze title of Stella Oduah right?

Remember that Stalla Oduah is a princess.
Re: Is The Omu Anioma The Only Female Throne In Igbo Land? by hammer0: 10:52pm On Apr 06, 2020
Dedetwo:

I did not know dat?

So her Dad must have been Onye-Eze?
Re: Is The Omu Anioma The Only Female Throne In Igbo Land? by Dedetwo(m): 10:54pm On Apr 06, 2020
gidgiddy:

It is purely ceremonial and she cannot attend Mmanya Orie or appear in a Ekwuru. Though in the picture shown on this page, it appears the woman is well placed with deep pocket and she decided to elaborate her position. Nonetheless, her position as well as people in her circle carries strong and influential aura in Igbo land. When a generation of men in Igbo land are not following the foot step of their forbearers, women in her position will come to speak with voice of rebuke and caution.

2 Likes

Re: Is The Omu Anioma The Only Female Throne In Igbo Land? by Dedetwo(m): 10:56pm On Apr 06, 2020
hammer0:

I did not know dat?

So her Dad must have been Onye-Eze?

Her father is/was Eze.
Re: Is The Omu Anioma The Only Female Throne In Igbo Land? by Nobody: 10:58pm On Apr 06, 2020
MelesZenawi:

Which one exactly.

My brother, ihukwam trouble.
These days, na who call me brother I dey call brother.
Those guys have consistently denied their Igboness so why this thread?

2 Likes

Re: Is The Omu Anioma The Only Female Throne In Igbo Land? by hammer0: 11:01pm On Apr 06, 2020
This leads to my next question, which is do we need a Female throne in Igbo land?

Who are the right candidate for such? cc pazienza, bigfrancis21 ishilove amarabae ngozi123 Dedetwo ChinenyeN selemempe, Lovelyn451, Armaggedon, SlayerForever, gidgiddy

1 Like

Re: Is The Omu Anioma The Only Female Throne In Igbo Land? by hammer0: 11:03pm On Apr 06, 2020
Dedetwo:

Her father is/was Eze.

That is very interesting.

Do u think we need a Female throne in Igboland, born out of the Ojukwu legacy?
Re: Is The Omu Anioma The Only Female Throne In Igbo Land? by Dedetwo(m): 11:06pm On Apr 06, 2020
hammer0:

That is very interesting.

Do u think we need a Female thronein Igboland, born out of the Ojukwu legacy?

I do not think so.
Re: Is The Omu Anioma The Only Female Throne In Igbo Land? by hammer0: 11:06pm On Apr 06, 2020
Dedetwo:

I do not think so.

That would be like asking for trouble right? grin grin grin
Re: Is The Omu Anioma The Only Female Throne In Igbo Land? by nlPoster: 11:11pm On Apr 06, 2020
The word "Anioma" was invented in the 50s or 60s and has been widely used here on Nairaland, so I assume the nlers or people who insist on saying Anioma all the time, have modern arrangements (perhaps the past 5 to 10 years) as their point of reference.
Re: Is The Omu Anioma The Only Female Throne In Igbo Land? by gidgiddy: 11:42pm On Apr 06, 2020
J111333:

Well you will have to tell us what ethnic group they belong to since there is no ethnic group called Anioma

2 Likes

Re: Is The Omu Anioma The Only Female Throne In Igbo Land? by legitnow: 12:21am On Apr 07, 2020
nlPoster:
The word "Anioma" was invented in the 50s or 60s and has been widely used here on Nairaland, so I assume the nlers or people who insist on saying Anioma all the time, have modern arrangements (perhaps the past 5 to 10 years) as their point of reference.

This statement makes no sense and a classic example of what happens wen talk out of your depths.

2 Likes

Re: Is The Omu Anioma The Only Female Throne In Igbo Land? by TheMohican(m): 7:37am On Apr 07, 2020
MelesZenawi:

Which one exactly.

Aniomaland is largely a part of igboland.

'Igbo bu igbo'
Re: Is The Omu Anioma The Only Female Throne In Igbo Land? by nlPoster: 2:13pm On Apr 07, 2020
legitnow:

This statement makes sense and a classic example of what happens wen I talk out of my depths.

You are?
Re: Is The Omu Anioma The Only Female Throne In Igbo Land? by Yujin(m): 3:51pm On Apr 15, 2020
hammer0:
You're very correct. The Omu title is found in some sections of Anioma and it's quite old.
Re: Is The Omu Anioma The Only Female Throne In Igbo Land? by Yujin(m): 3:56pm On Apr 15, 2020
Dedetwo:

Yes she's a princess but that's not the reason for making her the Omu of Atani/Ogbaru. It was a merited title.
Re: Is The Omu Anioma The Only Female Throne In Igbo Land? by Nobody: 5:02pm On Apr 18, 2020
The Ohafia, Abam, Arochukwu, Ihechiowa people are Igbos who respects the position of women folk.

When tracing their lineage, they acknowledge the ancestry of their mothers.

The Arochukwu people once had a female monarch and her name was Queen Mgbokwo Udo Omini (1799-1825).

(1) (Reply)

When Last Did You Visit Your Village? / Difference Between Bonny And Opobo / 3 Reasons Nigerian Men Are Scared Of Calabar Women

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.