Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,270 members, 7,818,929 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:22 AM

The Official Peugeot 504 Of Olusegun Obasanjo In 1979 As Head Of State (Photo) - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Official Peugeot 504 Of Olusegun Obasanjo In 1979 As Head Of State (Photo) (108135 Views)

Photos Of Olusegun Obasanjo: Now And Then / Metamorphosis Of Olusegun Obasanjo (Photos) / Throwback Photo Of Olusegun Obasanjo And His Family In 1979 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Official Peugeot 504 Of Olusegun Obasanjo In 1979 As Head Of State (Photo) by Karemarealty288(m): 8:08am On Apr 07, 2020
Its was sold for 2k then... grin brand new.

Re: The Official Peugeot 504 Of Olusegun Obasanjo In 1979 As Head Of State (Photo) by siverspooon(m): 8:08am On Apr 07, 2020
My car that year 1990
Re: The Official Peugeot 504 Of Olusegun Obasanjo In 1979 As Head Of State (Photo) by Kaydeexotic(m): 8:09am On Apr 07, 2020
EagleNest:
Too much waste of money buying official cars to all and sundries in government. Have you seen the British PM's official car? The MPs don't even have official cars. Why is Nigeria so wasteful?

The British prime minister uses an armored Jaguar XJ Sentinel... The same car used by Theresa May... Their parliamentarians have official cars too but not fleets of cars like our people here... If u don't know something u keep quiet... Nigerian politicians are just so wasteful sha...

1 Like

Re: The Official Peugeot 504 Of Olusegun Obasanjo In 1979 As Head Of State (Photo) by Makavelli25: 8:09am On Apr 07, 2020
FreelanceRebel:

Only if you could google search "British PM's official car"
They wont Dunce like him wont
Re: The Official Peugeot 504 Of Olusegun Obasanjo In 1979 As Head Of State (Photo) by Biggers82(m): 8:09am On Apr 07, 2020
Where is the Car now
Re: The Official Peugeot 504 Of Olusegun Obasanjo In 1979 As Head Of State (Photo) by DabuIIIT: 8:13am On Apr 07, 2020
Obj,the best president we have ever had.

Awolowo was the best we never had.

2 Likes

Re: The Official Peugeot 504 Of Olusegun Obasanjo In 1979 As Head Of State (Photo) by BABANGBALI: 8:14am On Apr 07, 2020
Katier00:
This 504 strong o. In the early 90s, if your papa get this ride eh, you will just be feeling cool under the hot sun. Time changes yesterday. What happened to Peugeot cars,?
you are write. I remember the time my father used to tooked me to school with his 504 then, I was amongst the big boys in our school that time so much that I dated one of our youth corpers serving in our school then

1 Like

Re: The Official Peugeot 504 Of Olusegun Obasanjo In 1979 As Head Of State (Photo) by Nobody: 8:14am On Apr 07, 2020
nony43:
This car is the Prado and Range of the 70s

There were Prado and range equivalents then (Land Rover anyone?) But you are right!

1 Like

Re: The Official Peugeot 504 Of Olusegun Obasanjo In 1979 As Head Of State (Photo) by DabuIIIT: 8:15am On Apr 07, 2020
juman:
Useless old man.
The senseless generation that destroyed the country.
Say that to yourself, enemy of good things.
Cos I know the likes of the current jihadist at Aso Rock is your hero.

1 Like

Re: The Official Peugeot 504 Of Olusegun Obasanjo In 1979 As Head Of State (Photo) by Lexusgs430: 8:17am On Apr 07, 2020
Obasanjo fighting corruption war in 1979

Buhari, still fighting corruption war in 2020.........

This corruption war, would never end.........

1 Like

Re: The Official Peugeot 504 Of Olusegun Obasanjo In 1979 As Head Of State (Photo) by NairaMaster1(m): 8:22am On Apr 07, 2020
EagleNest:
Too much waste of money buying official cars to all and sundries in government. Have you seen the British PM's official car? The MPs don't even have official cars. Why is Nigeria so wasteful?

Check well sir!
It will be a great security lapse for the almighty British PM not to have official car.

Perhaps, his official car can buy five of Nigeria president official cars.
UK Prime Minister Jaguar XJ Sentinel official car – What has it got?
The new UK Prime Minister, Boris Johnson will now be driven around in a luxurious Jaguar XJ Sentinel that boasts of a state-of-the-art fitted communication system suitable for secured conference calls, 2 units of HD televisions, a 7.1 Dolby 20 speaker surround sound system, night vision, as well as cooled and heated rear massage seats.

This prime minister’s Sentinel official car also comes fortified with a VPAM9 classified/3.3 tonnes B7 level protection that makes it a fortress on wheels as it is capable of withstanding a blast from 15 kilograms of grenade, as well as sustained gun and high explosives attack.

This British-made Jaguar XJ Sentinel is also well-equipped with a self-contained, independent oxygen supply that will protect every passenger and the prime minister in any case of a biological or chemical attack while it could also release crowd dispersants like tear gas if needed.

2 Likes

Re: The Official Peugeot 504 Of Olusegun Obasanjo In 1979 As Head Of State (Photo) by jeph19(m): 8:24am On Apr 07, 2020
Katier00:
This 504 strong o. In the early 90s, if your papa get this ride eh, you will just be feeling cool under the hot sun. Time changes yesterday. What happened to Peugeot cars,?
They refused to upgrade
Re: The Official Peugeot 504 Of Olusegun Obasanjo In 1979 As Head Of State (Photo) by UndauntedYOCA(f): 8:33am On Apr 07, 2020
jeffizy:
I'll pose a question here for my car heads.

What car has replaced the 504 Peugeot car in this modern time in terms of ruggedity and parts flexibility?

Camry 99
Honda accord 99
Benz c class 2000
ETC

Benz car 2000?
Re: The Official Peugeot 504 Of Olusegun Obasanjo In 1979 As Head Of State (Photo) by searchng4love: 8:36am On Apr 07, 2020
wagazala:
This car and contact set problems (At least thats what they called it.) If i hear say you no get lighter or matches inside this motto.

Asides the occasional early morning cold, the car was ready to go anywhere. Even when cold catch am, just light up the contact set, e go answer. grin
You sabi

1 Like

Re: The Official Peugeot 504 Of Olusegun Obasanjo In 1979 As Head Of State (Photo) by dxdiag(m): 8:41am On Apr 07, 2020
War without end = Fight against corruption in Nigeria
Re: The Official Peugeot 504 Of Olusegun Obasanjo In 1979 As Head Of State (Photo) by ruggedtimi(m): 8:43am On Apr 07, 2020
I entered one recently as a taxi, omo the car dey fire like mad
Around 1998-2002 my father had 505 but I wanted 504 pan badly because I see government officials driving it.

1 Like

Re: The Official Peugeot 504 Of Olusegun Obasanjo In 1979 As Head Of State (Photo) by MrPaul2: 8:44am On Apr 07, 2020
Inside life, and most people did human rituals just to acquire this car. Hmmm, my Yahoo+ guys repent because nothing last forever.
Re: The Official Peugeot 504 Of Olusegun Obasanjo In 1979 As Head Of State (Photo) by Elmander1983(m): 8:45am On Apr 07, 2020
Was lit that year
DriggityDre:
Med o.. This na mad ride for the 80s O! Talkess of 70s.
So OBJ was a gangster like this cool
Re: The Official Peugeot 504 Of Olusegun Obasanjo In 1979 As Head Of State (Photo) by Wealthoptulent(m): 8:53am On Apr 07, 2020
This car that year! Hmm we had two for a longer time. The best line didnt go far
Only the SR survived till 2011 after like 10yrs of 3 major accidents n so, major problem is break failure for this car. Until 2011 BABA MUBAI [PANEL BEATER] asked us not to bring it anymore because of the weak body. When you turn ROUND ABOUT any how, ANYDOOR FIT OPEN! grin grin. But the engine was dropping water as then. Gate people eventually bought it 50k in 2012 . I drove this from 2007 till 2012, what a legacy passed!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Official Peugeot 504 Of Olusegun Obasanjo In 1979 As Head Of State (Photo) by elefind(m): 8:55am On Apr 07, 2020
I remember when my mom bought Mercedes Benz regular in 1993. I was about 5 to 6 years old then. she later gift the car to her dad when she was leaving Nigeria. see how time flies

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Official Peugeot 504 Of Olusegun Obasanjo In 1979 As Head Of State (Photo) by AreaFada2: 8:56am On Apr 07, 2020
nony43:
This car is the Prado and Range of the 70s
Na lie o. Benz were there. Toyota Crown (Igwe) was there too. Rover also had some sumptuous products. GMC, Ford and others had big products also.

Murtala Mohammed that overthrew Gowon condemned corruption. OBJ was his deputy. When Murtala died OBJ continued his parsimonious policy. On the surface at least.

In addition, Peugeot began to assemble in 9ja. It became like a national brand.

3 Likes

Re: The Official Peugeot 504 Of Olusegun Obasanjo In 1979 As Head Of State (Photo) by kitombo: 8:58am On Apr 07, 2020
kikero:

There were Prado and range equivalents then (Land Rover anyone?) But you are right!

True...At that time Peugeot was a lower middle income car; there where more prestigious and expensive cars for the upper middle income like Volvo, Opel, Oldsmobile, Jaguar, Landrover etc

1 Like

Re: The Official Peugeot 504 Of Olusegun Obasanjo In 1979 As Head Of State (Photo) by tete7000(m): 9:03am On Apr 07, 2020
doofanc:

I don't think so. The Mercedes has always been a high status car and mid 70s was no exception. The move to Peugeot, seen as a middle class car, was actually a directive from OBJ

In fact it was the profligacy that characterized much the Gowon years where public officials were using exotic high end cars (like the benz) that made OBJ make the directive.

Apart from what you said, the car was being assembled in Nigeria and the move ensured the government patronized a local industry. Obasanjo had some good motives and initiated some good policies, his problem is his selfishness which always sees him installed incompetent people he considered as stooges in office after he has left. He never liked handing over power to people stronger and more popular than him.
Re: The Official Peugeot 504 Of Olusegun Obasanjo In 1979 As Head Of State (Photo) by kolexy(m): 9:07am On Apr 07, 2020
doofanc:

I don't think so. The Mercedes has always been a high status car and mid 70s was no exception. The move to Peugeot, seen as a middle class car, was actually a directive from OBJ

In fact it was the profligacy that characterized much the Gowon years where public officials were using exotic high end cars (like the benz) that made OBJ make the directive.

Better piking - spot on
Re: The Official Peugeot 504 Of Olusegun Obasanjo In 1979 As Head Of State (Photo) by EagleNest(m): 9:08am On Apr 07, 2020
NairaMaster1:

Check well sir!
It will be a great security lapse for the almighty British PM not to have official car.

Perhaps, his official car can buy five of Nigeria president official cars.
UK Prime Minister Jaguar XJ Sentinel official car – What has it got?
The new UK Prime Minister, Boris Johnson will now be driven around in a luxurious Jaguar XJ Sentinel that boasts of a state-of-the-art fitted communication system suitable for secured conference calls, 2 units of HD televisions, a 7.1 Dolby 20 speaker surround sound system, night vision, as well as cooled and heated rear massage seats.

This prime minister’s Sentinel official car also comes fortified with a VPAM9 classified/3.3 tonnes B7 level protection that makes it a fortress on wheels as it is capable of withstanding a blast from 15 kilograms of grenade, as well as sustained gun and high explosives attack.

This British-made Jaguar XJ Sentinel is also well-equipped with a self-contained, independent oxygen supply that will protect every passenger and the prime minister in any case of a biological or chemical attack while it could also release crowd dispersants like tear gas if needed.

I didn't mean BJ doesn't have official car, what I meant is that it is very few not fleets like our people do copying America.
Re: The Official Peugeot 504 Of Olusegun Obasanjo In 1979 As Head Of State (Photo) by sucess01: 9:09am On Apr 07, 2020
Technology is evolving year on year

web design techniques of some years ago is not same with today's techniques

same with other spheres of life

Re: The Official Peugeot 504 Of Olusegun Obasanjo In 1979 As Head Of State (Photo) by Superwave: 9:11am On Apr 07, 2020
Our born to hate brother welldone
I wonder if you do not hate your father.
juman:
Useless old man.
The senseless generation that destroyed the country.
Re: The Official Peugeot 504 Of Olusegun Obasanjo In 1979 As Head Of State (Photo) by vertueptime: 9:14am On Apr 07, 2020
EagleNest:

He does, its a range rover, thou his motorcade isnt big, two or three cars max with outriders
Re: The Official Peugeot 504 Of Olusegun Obasanjo In 1979 As Head Of State (Photo) by EagleNest(m): 9:14am On Apr 07, 2020
Kaydeexotic:

The British prime minister uses an armored Jaguar XJ Sentinel... The same car used by Theresa May... Their parliamentarians have official cars too but not fleets of cars like our people here... If u don't know something u keep quiet... Nigerian politicians are just so wasteful sha...

I could have made my question more complete but I didn't mean British PM doesn't have official car, I meant it is few and you hardly know there is one. American POTUS goes with fleets and that's who we copy.

For the MPs, I only know about the ones having ministerial or cabinet appointments and probably shadow ministers, as having official car. Even at that, no fleets.
Re: The Official Peugeot 504 Of Olusegun Obasanjo In 1979 As Head Of State (Photo) by EagleNest(m): 9:17am On Apr 07, 2020
FreelanceRebel:

Only if you could google search "British PM's official car"

I sensed there is some kind of mis-understanding on what I meant.

I meant he doesn't go with fleets such that you hardly know he has it.
Re: The Official Peugeot 504 Of Olusegun Obasanjo In 1979 As Head Of State (Photo) by BreconHills(m): 9:23am On Apr 07, 2020
flejnr:
That was like having an s550 Mercedes in the 70’s , could remember down to 1999 some governors had it as their official car.

You are partially right. The Peugeot survived till the 80's in government circles but not because it was considered equivalent to any brand of mercedes. My dad had a 200 Mercedes and we called it eja shawa" Our Uncle had a 230 which was then called "eja Obokun" so clearly the 504 was not equivalent to the even higher spec s550.

In fact the Peugeot driven by OBJ was part of a two pronged message by OBJ. The first was termed " low profile" and the second was "Operation feed the nation" Low profile related to a simple, non ostentatious lifestyle as opposed to the owambe culture of the 60's and the early to mid 70's. His choice of car was based on that policy.

You will recall.that OBJ was sworn in after the assassination.of the highly popular Murtala Mohammed who although he drove a Mercedes lived a simple life. He pledged in.his first message to continue the simplicity and focus of his predecessor and therefore plumped for the 504. He however did not make MM's mistake of being lightly guarded. His convoys were heavily armoured as was his Peugeout.

Modified.

3 Likes

Re: The Official Peugeot 504 Of Olusegun Obasanjo In 1979 As Head Of State (Photo) by engrchykae(m): 9:32am On Apr 07, 2020
jeffizy:
I'll pose a question here for my car heads.

What car has replaced the 504 Peugeot car in this modern time in terms of ruggedity and parts flexibility?

Camry 99
Honda accord 99
Benz c class 2000
ETC
none

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Sokoto Poorest State In Nigeria - NBS (Full Statistics) / Abubakar Sani Bello, The Richest Governor-Elect In Nigeria Detected / President Buhari Arrives Beijing, China (More Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.