Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,400 members, 7,861,129 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 02:11 AM

Fg And States Share $1 Billion Secretly. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fg And States Share $1 Billion Secretly. (1651 Views)

FG And States Share Another N518.542b June Federation Revenue / FG And States Shared N409.354bn Yesterday / Govs Ask Buhari To Share $1.6bn From NLNG Tax (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fg And States Share $1 Billion Secretly. by Rhino5dm: 11:48pm On Jan 01, 2011
The Federation Account Allocation Committee (FAAC) at an emergency meeting yesterday in Abuja, shared $1billion from the Excess Crude Account.

With the disbursement of the amount, the balance in the ECA account now stands at $3million.

The meeting, which was held behind closed doors, lasted for only 29 minutes (11:10am and ended at about 11:39am).

A breakdown of the amount indicated that while the federal government got $458.31million, the states had $232 million, while the local governments would be credited with $179 million.

The balance of $130 million is expected to be shared to the oil producing states based on the principle of derivation.

Leadership Weekend learnt at the venue of the meeting that the amount was shared following an approval given by the National Economic Council.

It was gathered that pressures from the governors to tackle the huge infrastructure deficit in their states had made President Goodluck Jonathan to give the approval.

The Minister of State for Finance, Hajiya Yabawa Wabi, confirmed the development.

Wabi, who is also the Chairman of FAAC, explained that since the National Assembly had agreed to extend the implementation of the capital budget till March 2011, there was the need to share the amount to allow the states fund more developmental projects across the federation.

She said: “We are here because we got an approval to share $1billion from the ECA to the three tiers of government, and this we are doing because the ECA is a financing item in the 2010 budget of both the federal and state governments.

“As you are aware, the budget year has been extended to March 2011 by the National Assembly and that is why we need to share this amount to form part of the 2010 budget.

“Since only the capital budget was extended to march, the money will only be meant for capital projects. The money was approved by Mr. President. No other money was shared apart from this and the money has already been cash-backed.

“In this regard, the FG had $458.31million, the states will share $232 million and the local government will share $179 million and the derivation states will share $130m.”

Also speaking, the Chairman of Finance Commissioners Forum, Alhaji Rabo Usman, denied the amount being an end of year bonus as widely speculated.

He said: “We have to meet because there is no way we could share money without a meeting of FAAC members. That is why we had to hold this emergency meeting to take care of that decision that was taken by the National Economic Council.

“This money is not an end of year bonus, it is funds that belong to the three tiers of government and the ECA is like a savings and the governors believe that there is need to fund some on-going projects that are taking place both at the federal and state levels.

“So it is normal that the money was taken at this time of the year to fund some of our operations. The ECA is an account that belongs to the three tiers of government and anytime we are in need we have a right to use it to fund projects.”

http://www.leadershipeditors.com/ns/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=22353:david-agba--abuja&catid=51:cover-stories&Itemid=101

Na only $3 million dollars them leave for excess crude oil account. Na wa oooo.
Re: Fg And States Share $1 Billion Secretly. by netotse(m): 12:12am On Jan 02, 2011
it was on the news. . .there was nothing secret about it, the minister of state for finance was the one answering questions from reporters.
Re: Fg And States Share $1 Billion Secretly. by macjive01: 12:21am On Jan 02, 2011
i feel like crying , crying for this nation. WHY IS GEJ such a BIG FOOL!!!!!

so this fisherman has wipe out Nigerian coffers?

God! please we really need your intervention.!!!!

So GEJ has depleted $32 billion that soludo and OBJ saved up for nigeria

even the $1 billion that was keep aside for sovereign fund has also been shared??

God if u exist please why wouldn't you strike Jonathan dead

biggest fool on planet earth. PHD my foot!
Re: Fg And States Share $1 Billion Secretly. by tarano: 12:22am On Jan 02, 2011
That money would be wasted on the election by the politicians in different tiers, mark my word wasted,
Re: Fg And States Share $1 Billion Secretly. by Nobody: 12:22am On Jan 02, 2011
Seriously, this is not even about ethnic rivals or marginalization anymore. This is borderline ridiculous and vile.
They dont even care about hiding their faces of corruption anymore. All they want to do is steal steal steal.  What happened to the judiciary system?

Wait. . . .or is the secret sharing now legal?

“As you are aware, the budget year has been extended to March 2011 by the National Assembly and that is why we need to share this amount to form part of the 2010 budget.

“Since only the capital budget was extended to march, the money will only be meant for capital projects. The money was approved by Mr. President. No other money was shared apart from this and the money has already been cash-backed.

What useless project have they completed so far?
Re: Fg And States Share $1 Billion Secretly. by netotse(m): 12:26am On Jan 02, 2011
macjive01:

i feel like crying , crying for this nation. WHY IS GEJ such a BIG FOOL!!!!!

so this fisherman has wipe out Nigerian coffers?

God! please we really need your intervention.!!!!

So GEJ has depleted $32 billion that soludo and OBJ saved up for nigeria

even the $1 billion that was keep aside for sovereign fund has also been shared??

God if u exist please why wouldn't you strike Jonathan dead

biggest fool on planet earth. PHD my foot!

that's why you are a fool. . .how much was in the ECA when GEJ became president? I'm getting pissed sef, in the original article, the minister of state for finance answers questions from the reporter and yet the OP(a know GEJ-hater) adds 'secretly' to the topic. . .talk about brazen idiocy.
Re: Fg And States Share $1 Billion Secretly. by macjive01: 12:30am On Jan 02, 2011
netotse:

that's why you are a fool. . .how much was in the ECA when GEJ became president? I'm getting pissed sef, in the original article, the minister of state for finance answers questions from the reporter and yet the OP(a know GEJ-hater) adds 'secretly' to the topic. . .talk about brazen idiocy.

you answer the damn question: how much was in the ECA account?

a president that would spent 10 billion on party ?? no prudence ! no sense , . . even the cheap common one.
Re: Fg And States Share $1 Billion Secretly. by netotse(m): 12:33am On Jan 02, 2011
macjive01:

you answer the damn question: how much was in the ECA account?

a president that would spent 10 billion on party ?? no prudence ! no sense , . . even the cheap common one.

anyone that followed the events that led to GEJ becoming president will know how much cos one of the first things he did on becoming president was share money from the ECA. go and read it up. . .

he spent 10billion naira on 50th anniversary sey? under whom was the initial budget drafted? the one that was more than 40 billion?

it's not by force to like GEJ, but it becomes a problem when you're not going to be sensible(if not honest about it. . .)
Re: Fg And States Share $1 Billion Secretly. by Rhino5dm: 12:38am On Jan 02, 2011
@ bold. stop spewing out trash f**l, follow the link before showing your stupidity publicly. was i the one that added the "secretly" title to the article??

netotse:

that's why you are a fool. . .how much was in the ECA when GEJ became president? I'm getting pissed sef, in the original article, the minister of state for finance answers questions from the reporter and yet the[b] OP(a know GEJ-hater) adds 'secretly' to the topic[/b]. . .talk about brazen idiocy.

just address the issue raised. period!
Re: Fg And States Share $1 Billion Secretly. by debosky(m): 12:50am On Jan 02, 2011
According to allafrica.com, there was $20 billion in the account as of January 2009. This means we have spent nearly $20 billion in addition to the regular oil receipts over two years and we can't clearly point to what this expenditure has achieved.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201002160320.html

We hope, and I mean hope the $5bn supposedly spent on the IPP projects eventually begin to yield fruit, but I am not very optimistic.

Spending $1bn without any clear plan or detail of what this money is aimed at is highly irresponsible.
Re: Fg And States Share $1 Billion Secretly. by Beaf: 12:53am On Jan 02, 2011
So what if money was spent, is it a crime? Is that money not meant for the states?
If you people wanna bomb, then we have the raw cash to drive you into an aimless existence in the Sahara. Bloody leeches and parasites.
You should shut up and go train your almajiri's to become useful to the economy.
Re: Fg And States Share $1 Billion Secretly. by debosky(m): 12:57am On Jan 02, 2011
Do you have information on the intended use of this money? 'Capital expenditure' is a very vague term.
Re: Fg And States Share $1 Billion Secretly. by olaolabiy: 12:58am On Jan 02, 2011
Beaf:

So what if money was spent, is it a crime? Is that money not meant for the states?
If you people wanna bomb, then we have the raw cash to drive you into an aimless existence in the Sahara. Bloody leeches and parasites.
You should shut up and go train your almajiri's to become useful to the economy.

You are mad o, Beaf. grin
Re: Fg And States Share $1 Billion Secretly. by Nobody: 12:59am On Jan 02, 2011
debosky:

Do you have information on the intended use of this money? '[/b]Capital expenditure' is a very vague term.
I was just going to quote Beaf and ask the same question.

Beaf:

[b]So what if money was spent, is it a crime? Is that money not meant for the states?

Re: Fg And States Share $1 Billion Secretly. by Akainzo(m): 1:05am On Jan 02, 2011
Beaf:

Hmmmmm, so by this your answer, nobody in government has stolen money! As all the disbursements were meant for the states!

Beaf, has now proclaimed all politicians saints! grin grin grin
Re: Fg And States Share $1 Billion Secretly. by netotse(m): 1:07am On Jan 02, 2011
Rhino.5dm:

@ bold. stop spewing out trash f**l, follow the link before showing your stupidity publicly. was i the one that added the "secretly" title to the article??

just address the issue raised. period!

if the minister of state for finance was able to answer questions and all the RMAFC commissioners where there, how is the sharing illegal?

debosky:

According to allafrica.com, there was $20 billion in the account as of January 2009. This means we have spent nearly $20 billion in addition to the regular oil receipts over two years and we can't clearly point to what this expenditure has achieved.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201002160320.html

We hope, and I mean hope the $5bn supposedly spent on the IPP projects eventually begin to yield fruit, but I am not very optimistic.

Spending $1bn without any clear plan or detail of what this money is aimed at is highly irresponsible.
it wasn't spent, it was disbursed to the different tiers of government. It was on TV on the 31st, that's why the matter is even pissing me off, i watched the press briefing after the meeting on (national tv), next thing i'm seeing 'secretly'. . .

heck, when GEJ was sworn in, there wasn't up to 5bn in the ECA. . .so why is GEJ being blamed?abi na him spend 15bn in less than a year?

the RMAFC commissioners were there, the state commissioners of finance were there, NNPC, NCS, etc were there, so what was shady about the meeting? if govt wants to share money.
Re: Fg And States Share $1 Billion Secretly. by Beaf: 1:10am On Jan 02, 2011
Akainzo:

Hmmmmm, so by this your answer, nobody in government has stolen money! As all the disbursements were meant for the states!

Beaf, has now proclaimed all politicians saints! grin grin grin

I know you aren't too smart thats why you are now trying to change the topic. I asked two questions: "So what if money was spent, is it a crime? Is that money not meant for the states?" If you don't know the answers, please spare us your foolishness.

Like I said, we are getting tired of loud parasites who can only produce almajiri's and bombers at an industrial scale. We will crush you.
Re: Fg And States Share $1 Billion Secretly. by Akainzo(m): 1:19am On Jan 02, 2011
Beaf:

I know you aren't too smart thats why you are now trying to change the topic. I asked two questions: "So what if money was spent, is it a crime? Is that money not meant for the states?" If you don't know the answers, please spare us your foolishness.

Like I said, we are getting tired of loud parasites who can only produce almajiri's and bombers at an industrial scale. We will crush you.

I hope the above is not the kind of answers your GEJ would give should there ever be a debate for presidential aspirants! But who knows, but of you are clueless.

It is crime to spend money that amounts to waste. e.g. Spending N1B to import dustbins.
It is deemed a crime to share such monies when there are no approved budgetary provisions for such. Or tell me, the various state legislators have approved supplementary budgets funded by the ECA allocations?

What I am driving at clearly seems lost on you. If for the sake of support of GEJ, you find nothing wrong with this sharing, the supporters of the other politicians would also use the same logic to support state pilfering. And thus, all of them would be absolved. When people are held accountable, first by their own integrity and then by public demands, the nation moves forward.
Re: Fg And States Share $1 Billion Secretly. by debosky(m): 1:21am On Jan 02, 2011
netotse:

it wasn't spent, it was disbursed to the different tiers of government. It was on TV on the 31st, that's why the matter is even pissing me off, i watched the press briefing after the meeting on (national tv), next thing i'm seeing 'secretly'. . .

The briefing only came about afterwards and it was an emergency meeting. If respected news organisations like the Guardian are saying there is something unusual about the meeting resulting in this disbursement, then eyebrows will definitely be raised. Why was disbursing this money the only item on the agenda? Why was it held on the last day of the year?

The meeting was equally shrouded in secrecy, devoid of the normal publicity and openness of discussions and sharing tables.

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=34118:posers-over-sharing-of-1b-by-govt-on-new-year-eve&catid=1:national&Itemid=559

Normal questions anyone would ask - pardon those of us that didn't get a chance to watch the press briefing so please give us a summary of the rationale behing this (as explained in the conference) if you can.

heck, when GEJ was sworn in, there wasn't up to 5bn in the ECA. . .so why is GEJ being blamed?abi na him spend 15bn in less than a year?

Even at that, he was a part of the previous government was he not? It's a bit slope shouldered to absolve GEJ from spending under a government where he was VP.

Even if we ignore the previous $15bn, can we identify the 'capital projects' that the remainder of the ECA funds have been spent on?

I don't think this is about the legality of the sharing, the greater concern is that there doesn't appear to be any specific target for these funds beyond 'capital projects' which can mean nearly anything in Nigerian political parlance, especially in an election year.
Re: Fg And States Share $1 Billion Secretly. by netotse(m): 1:40am On Jan 02, 2011
debosky:

The briefing only came about afterwards and it was an emergency meeting. If respected news organisations like the Guardian are saying there is something unusual about the meeting resulting in this disbursement, then eyebrows will definitely be raised. Why was disbursing this money the only item on the agenda? Why was it held on the last day of the year?

The meeting was equally shrouded in secrecy, devoid of the normal publicity and openness of discussions and sharing tables.

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=34118:posers-over-sharing-of-1b-by-govt-on-new-year-eve&catid=1:national&Itemid=559

Normal questions anyone would ask - pardon those of us that didn't get a chance to watch the press briefing so please give us a summary of the rationale behing this (as explained in the conference) if you can.

Even at that, he was a part of the previous government was he not? It's a bit slope shouldered to absolve GEJ from spending under a government where he was VP.

Even if we ignore the previous $15bn, can we identify the 'capital projects' that the remainder of the ECA funds have been spent on?

I don't think this is about the legality of the sharing, the greater concern is that there doesn't appear to be any specific target for these funds beyond 'capital projects' which can mean nearly anything in Nigerian political parlance, especially in an election year.
why you wan turn me into defender of GEJ now? wetin i do you? grin

GEJ as VP? having a say in the affairs of govt? haba. . .debosky you sef check am, he was a glorified speech-giver

if they say capital projects, then they would have to have been captured in the 2011 budget which UMYA presented right? and the FEC sits and approves contracts every wednesday(which i think is a silly idea), why cant it be for that? sebi the ECA is a budget financing-something cheesy

while i agree that it's possible the money could be election money, there's nothing illegal about the process of disbursement as far as we can tell, so the 'secretly' in the topic is simply an attempt to sensationalize issues.

P.S. i wasn't paying attention to the yarns i was trawling channels looking for news on the bomb blasts, but i caught all the stuff the article writer mentioned.
Re: Fg And States Share $1 Billion Secretly. by Beaf: 1:43am On Jan 02, 2011
Akainzo:

I hope the above is not the kind of answers your GEJ would give should there ever be a debate for presidential aspirants! But who knows, but of you are clueless.

It is crime to spend money that amounts to waste. e.g. Spending N1B to import dustbins.
It is deemed a crime to share such monies when there are no approved budgetary provisions for such. Or tell me, the various state legislators have approved supplementary budgets funded by the ECA allocations?

What I am driving at clearly seems lost on you. If for the sake of support of GEJ, you find nothing wrong with this sharing, the supporters of the other politicians would also use the same logic to support state pilfering. And thus, all of them would be absolved. When people are held accountable, first by their own integrity and then by public demands, the nation moves forward.

'I asked two questions: "So what if money was spent, is it a crime? Is that money not meant for the states?" If you don't know the answers, please spare us your foolishness.'

Answer the above instead of meandering all over the place like a desperate crack head.

When did parasites start caring about Nigeria? shocked
Have you really worried about the 10 million almajiri's in your part of the country? What do you guys produce apart from beggars, almajiri's and bombers? Of what use are you to Nigeria?
Re: Fg And States Share $1 Billion Secretly. by Akainzo(m): 1:52am On Jan 02, 2011
Beaf:

'I asked two questions: "So what if money was spent, is it a crime? Is that money not meant for the states?" If you don't know the answers, please spare us your foolishness.'

Answer the above instead of meandering all over the place like a desperate crack head.

When did parasites start caring about Nigeria? shocked
Have you really worried about the 10 million almajiri's in your part of the country? What do you guys produce apart from beggars, almajiri's and bombers? Of what use are you to Nigeria?

I see, you  are too dumb to see the below answers!
Akainzo:

And too dumb to equate a name like "Akainzo" to be a Northern name! You are actually clueless.
Re: Fg And States Share $1 Billion Secretly. by Beaf: 1:55am On Jan 02, 2011
Akainzo:

I see, you  are too dumb to see the below answers!
And too dumb to equate a name like "Akainzo" to be a Northern name! You are actually clueless.

It doesn't occur to you that asking the FG to give account for the spending of state legislatures is daft?
Desperate dunce.

Who gives a crap where the name, Akainzo comes from? Dokpesi is from Edo state, need I say more?
Re: Fg And States Share $1 Billion Secretly. by Nobody: 1:55am On Jan 02, 2011
I will like to hear from Sanusi Lamido Sanusi on this matter.

It is time to show how much courage he has
Re: Fg And States Share $1 Billion Secretly. by Nobody: 2:10am On Jan 02, 2011
A breakdown of the amount indicated that while the federal government got $458.31million, the states had $232 million, while the local governments would be credited with $179 million.

Apart from the illegality in sharing this money like this, there is something not very people oriented on the sharing formula.

How does over 770 LGA which also happens to be the closet government to the people recieve 232 million while the FG recieves 458 million? It simply tells you there is a lot wrong with the working of Governments in this country.

GEJ is wasting resources like those before him. It is his choice.

But what annoys me is when folks like Beaf try to assoociate this guy with words like change, sanctity and all that trash when GEJ is clearly as bad as others. They seem to want to have it both ways and that will not work. You cant keep looting the Nation dry and yet engage in calling everyone else thieves.

We condemn IBB for mismanaging $12b oil windfall within 8years in office. How much has GEJ wasted in the last 1year? I have heard figures more than $12b and yet he is still borrowing and nohing to show for it.
Re: Fg And States Share $1 Billion Secretly. by Beaf: 2:42am On Jan 02, 2011
^
Your logic is fraudulent and meant to decieve the ignorant and the foolish only. If you believe the above though, then you really have problems.
GEJ has no power of the sharing formula. It is enshrined in the constitution.

Your states produce nothing, and when your governors and LG folk go on their begging trip, fools like you people scream about GEJ. Get your state to generate revenue locally, that would be a first step and a very sensible one.

As long as the constitution says money is to be shared that way, so it will. When people like me preach true federalism, ignorant folk like you better sit down and listen; if you had done that in the past, you wouldn't be saying daft things now.
Re: Fg And States Share $1 Billion Secretly. by Nobody: 3:00am On Jan 02, 2011
ignorant folks like me? thats very interesting. Its good to know that you think you are very aware.

You have been preaching true fedralism? well I think I have preached about that more and have questioned why your candidate GEJ has been unable to promote the propositions of true fedralism eventhough candidates like IBB have previously in the past made propositions like state policing, stronger LGs, decentralization of powers and burauecracies and yet Jonathan has said nothing along those lines.

I honestly hope for the sake of Jonathan that you are not anywhere near his campaign team because the way you go about abusing everyone else like a little boy with no home training will simply alienate Jonathan than help him.

Dont worry, elections are weeks away. I am sure you will learn one or two things about politics and democracy.
Re: Fg And States Share $1 Billion Secretly. by Ibime(m): 3:18am On Jan 02, 2011
Governors have been putting pressure on GEJ to share allocation for Capital projects since day one.

This is the third time they are dipping hands into the coffers this year alone.
Re: Fg And States Share $1 Billion Secretly. by redsun(m): 3:27am On Jan 02, 2011
Authority stealing.All they do with the monies is pay off fictitious claims that they put in themselves,from the least official in the local government to the president himself will get a cut from the allocations dubiously.

This is an answered christmas prayer,for god to give them the opportunity to loot the system
Re: Fg And States Share $1 Billion Secretly. by dapachez: 5:26am On Jan 02, 2011
I read with disgust the post of some people on nairaland. Money shared or not why cant you just reply the post withou t being sentimental with ethnicity and religion. Cursing others is not matured at all. Is it a must that you must post on every thread. Please you know yourselves just do away with the insults and stop taking panadol over someone's headache
Re: Fg And States Share $1 Billion Secretly. by dapachez: 5:32am On Jan 02, 2011
I read with disgust the post of some people on nairaland. Money shared or not why cant you just reply the post without being sentimental with ethnicity and religion. Cursing others is not matured at all. Is it a must that you must post on every thread. Please you know yourselves just do away with the insults and stop taking panadol over someone's headache
Re: Fg And States Share $1 Billion Secretly. by Rousseau: 5:46am On Jan 02, 2011
I am appalled by the reckless spending that the Nigerian Federal Government and states are embarking on. There is a filthy miasma that is hovering around Abuja and it needs to be stopped. The corrupt practices that the Nigerian State has been perfecting has caused development to grind to a halt. It is the Nigerian state's responsibility to look on behalf of the people and provide for the welfare of the people. However, the people who make up the Nigerian political establishment only see the state as a way to enrich themselves instead of helping the people. When will the Nigerian populace wake up and see the true beast that is keeping them down?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ex-governor Meets With Tinubu, Acn Governors Today / Tinubu And Dr. Olowopopo / Segun Adeniyi, The Late Confession Of Hidden Truth About Late President Ya’adua

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.