Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,862 members, 7,810,288 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:44 AM

Coronavirus Can Reactivate: 51 Recovered Patients Test Positive Again - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Coronavirus Can Reactivate: 51 Recovered Patients Test Positive Again (2115 Views)

Recovered Patients Of Severe COVID-19 Infection More Likely To Die Within A Year / Doctors Say Coronavirus Can Spread Through Farts / Coronavirus Can Be Sexually Transmitted - Osagie Ehanire, Health Minister (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Coronavirus Can Reactivate: 51 Recovered Patients Test Positive Again by afroniger: 6:58am On Apr 07, 2020
https://www.the-sun.com/news/645016/fears-coronavirus-hide-cells-reactivate-recovered-patients-test-positive/

HIDDEN KILLER Fears coronavirus can HIDE in cells and reactivate later after 51 recovered patients test positive again

FEARS have been raised that the coronavirus may be able to remain in the body and "reactivate" later after 51 recovered patients tested positive again.

The patients, from the city of Daegu, South Korea, had all spent time in quarantine while recovering from the virus, but were diagnosed again within days of being released.

Reports from South Korea say 51 recovered coronavirus patients have again tested positiveCredit: EPA

South Korea has been among the most successful countries globally in controlling the outbreak, using strict quarantining and widespread testing to slow its spread of the virus.

The number of new cases being diagnosed each day in the country is now at levels last seen as the pandemic was getting underway in February.

The 51 cases were identified as part of a study conducted in Daegu, the epicentre of the outbreak in South Korea, by a team of epidemiologists from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The center said it did not believe the patients had been reinfected, but that the virus had remained at undetectable levels in their cells and later "reactivated".

The claim runs contrary to the bulk of current evidence about how the virus works.

Speaking to MailOnline, Paul Hunter, an infectious diseases professor at the University of East Anglia, said: "I agree that these will not be reinfections but I do not think these will be reactivations.

"Personally I think the most likely explanation is that the clearance samples were false negative."

Coronavirus patients are typically required to test negative twice before being allowed to leave quarantine.

Where this happens and they are later found to be infected, it is thought to be much more likely that the negative tests gave the wrong result.

The tests currently available produce an incorrect results roughly one in five times.

It is currently thought that coronavirus patients will remain immune from the disease in at least the medium-term once they have recovered.

Scientists have said previous reports of people becoming reinfected are concerning, but that much more evidence needs to be collected before conclusions can be drawn.

Speaking in February, Mark Harris, Professor of Virology at the University of Leeds, said: Clearly we need more information about these patients, such as were there underlying medical conditions or a change in circumstances that might have allowed the virus to escape immune control?

"This highlights the need for more research into the biology of the new coronavirus. It is very much early days in our efforts to understand it.”

The coronavirus has infected more than 1.3 million people globally and killed at least 73,608 since first breaking out in December.

Mynd44
Lalalsticlala
Seun
Re: Coronavirus Can Reactivate: 51 Recovered Patients Test Positive Again by TheGiftedOne(m): 7:00am On Apr 07, 2020
Obia ijie gana. Meaning visitor wey come go still go house. Covid-19 did you hear me? Stop loitering around. You've never been welcome and never will. Please leave us alone and go back to wherever you came from. Thank you!

2 Likes

Re: Coronavirus Can Reactivate: 51 Recovered Patients Test Positive Again by cRobo: 7:01am On Apr 07, 2020
Reactivate like having a switch - off & on
fact is recovered Coro - Chinese - Virus patient can get re-infected
what do I know self
I won't say a word
Re: Coronavirus Can Reactivate: 51 Recovered Patients Test Positive Again by Trueigbo: 7:01am On Apr 07, 2020
The best way is to avoid being activated in the first place

6 Likes

Re: Coronavirus Can Reactivate: 51 Recovered Patients Test Positive Again by PureGoldh(m): 7:06am On Apr 07, 2020
Na to stay safe be the Koko na.... Prevention is better than cure

4 Likes

Re: Coronavirus Can Reactivate: 51 Recovered Patients Test Positive Again by AtikuNetwork: 7:06am On Apr 07, 2020
This is serious. So it means those that are supposed to have recovered from it are still capable of spreading it after it reactivates in their system (after hiding in cells) , without even being aware. Wahala don dey.

4 Likes

Re: Coronavirus Can Reactivate: 51 Recovered Patients Test Positive Again by Zooposki(f): 7:08am On Apr 07, 2020
It is a retrovirus. It has HIV strains. Of course it will keep reactivating.

3 Likes

Re: Coronavirus Can Reactivate: 51 Recovered Patients Test Positive Again by DriggityDre: 7:10am On Apr 07, 2020

Speaking to MailOnline, Paul Hunter, an infectious diseases professor at the University of East Anglia, said: "I agree that these will not be reinfections but I do not think these will be reactivations.

"Personally I think the most likely explanation is that the clearance samples were false negative."

Coronavirus patients are typically required to test negative twice before being allowed to leave quarantine.

Where this happens and they are later found to be infected, it is thought to be much more likely that the negative tests gave the wrong result.
OP, do not come to a conclusion like that. Which wan be "coronavirus can re-activate". Be careful angry. From the above quote, They had it in them but it didn't display symptoms. When symptoms started showing up, they discovered their tests' results were false negative.
The tests currently available produce an incorrect results roughly one in five times.
They were tested just once . That was a plain, rookie move. Tests like these should be conducted 2-3 times. Although, they were conducting a survey so it's probably an experiment.

Wait sef.. Lemme check the credibility of this news.

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus Can Reactivate: 51 Recovered Patients Test Positive Again by Precious4real50(f): 7:12am On Apr 07, 2020
shocked cool shocked

I still remain Ada ogwashi cool

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus Can Reactivate: 51 Recovered Patients Test Positive Again by Izunwa(m): 7:15am On Apr 07, 2020
Don't ever get activated

Re: Coronavirus Can Reactivate: 51 Recovered Patients Test Positive Again by ignis: 7:17am On Apr 07, 2020
I don't believe this

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus Can Reactivate: 51 Recovered Patients Test Positive Again by babyfaceafrica: 7:19am On Apr 07, 2020
Fake news

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus Can Reactivate: 51 Recovered Patients Test Positive Again by shugabasbn: 7:21am On Apr 07, 2020
Boda Koro please sempe na. It don do
Re: Coronavirus Can Reactivate: 51 Recovered Patients Test Positive Again by SEGLIZ: 7:46am On Apr 07, 2020
what is left for is to do.
if only this will teach a lesson to those senseless scientists that want to rule the world by force. I know this gone beyond them.
wen dem no be pinky and foolish brain is friend and partner in crime.
Re: Coronavirus Can Reactivate: 51 Recovered Patients Test Positive Again by realstars: 7:54am On Apr 07, 2020
Not In Nigeria

Re: Coronavirus Can Reactivate: 51 Recovered Patients Test Positive Again by Tocynone(m): 8:20am On Apr 07, 2020
Which one is the "The US Sun News" again
Re: Coronavirus Can Reactivate: 51 Recovered Patients Test Positive Again by Oshin56(m): 8:35am On Apr 07, 2020
Covid19 they deceived those medical practitioner be that. Which kind wahala be this.
Re: Coronavirus Can Reactivate: 51 Recovered Patients Test Positive Again by Nobody: 11:08am On Apr 07, 2020
This is mysterious.
Re: Coronavirus Can Reactivate: 51 Recovered Patients Test Positive Again by bjgurl(f): 11:26am On Apr 07, 2020
Black seed is said to be cure for all diseases except death.
That being said, it's a brilliant anti-inflammatory effect that work and bind perfectly to the cells and defend the cell from more damage and as well an repair the damage cells.
It's an inhibitor.
It fight against Free radical cells and disrupt their formation.
If you want some, I mean black seed oil
Cold press, undiluted
Check my signature
If you as well in need of supply of black seed for consumption or consultations, check my signature.
You can never go wrong with seed nutrition.
Re: Coronavirus Can Reactivate: 51 Recovered Patients Test Positive Again by Timileyin1234(m): 11:38am On Apr 07, 2020
See gobe
Re: Coronavirus Can Reactivate: 51 Recovered Patients Test Positive Again by csamii: 2:06pm On Apr 07, 2020
And person won tell me say dem no cook this thing like Crystal Meth inside lab undecided
Re: Coronavirus Can Reactivate: 51 Recovered Patients Test Positive Again by potent5(m): 2:15pm On Apr 07, 2020
Precious4real50:
shocked cool shocked

I still remain Ada ogwashi cool
We know.

(1) (Reply)

Causes Of Bitter Taste In The Mouth(dysgeusia) / Problems With Milk Intake / Skin Whitening

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.