Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,117 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:31 PM

How I Survived A Super Contagious Viral Infection - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / How I Survived A Super Contagious Viral Infection (51151 Views)

I Saw Told I Have A Viral Infection / Monolaurin Strong Against Sturborn Staphylococcus & Some Viral Infection / Man Who Survived A Horrible Gas Explosion At Home, Shares His Transformation(pic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How I Survived A Super Contagious Viral Infection by Onaiwu1: 8:37pm On Apr 09, 2020
Wow thank God for life but to all indication it was a virus which i believe you contracted but you dont have a travel history which make me believe this virus are imported to countries by people who Originator of this virus but unfortunately our system is fighting it hard and they can't explain while is like these maybe is because we eat more of natural food that is while you see the same people pushing Africa countries out of their country may God continue to deliver us from the plan of this evil people

2 Likes

Re: How I Survived A Super Contagious Viral Infection by Angelfrost(m): 8:38pm On Apr 09, 2020
StarUp:
The summary of it all is that OP contracted Covid19, spread it to others and they all got healing without visiting NCDC... Is God not wonderful? grin

The testimony of at least a thousand other Nigerians... NCDC is another White Elephant!!! undecided

1 Like

Re: How I Survived A Super Contagious Viral Infection by kem2441: 8:39pm On Apr 09, 2020
s9mkxpoolf
Re: How I Survived A Super Contagious Viral Infection by SSam01: 8:40pm On Apr 09, 2020
If you have coronavirus or have recovered from it or know someone who has recovered from it please feel free to share what you used to treat yourself.

A lot of people have coronavirus and cant call NCDC for fear of being abandoned in isolation centres and the stigmatization that comes with the disease.

Lets join hands to fight coronavirus AKA KOROVIRUS by sharing healthy tips and home remedies to helps us clear the virus faster.

https://www.nairaland.com/5784077/cure-coronavirus-1-week
Re: How I Survived A Super Contagious Viral Infection by bluefilm: 8:43pm On Apr 09, 2020
You're right.

Covid19 could have been in naija circulating freely as far back as November 2019 when it broke out in Wuhan.

The good news is that if that is the case, so many of our guys now must have developed strong immunity to the disease by now.

Lest I forget, people of God, please o, what exactly is this dry cough I've been hearing about since this covid took center stage?
Re: How I Survived A Super Contagious Viral Infection by nwokukwu: 8:43pm On Apr 09, 2020
GoshenNLA:
E too long abeg, who can summarize??

Lazy youth.

‘A wise man said that if you want to keep something away from a black man, hide it in a book’ so apt

4 Likes

Re: How I Survived A Super Contagious Viral Infection by olureignforever: 8:43pm On Apr 09, 2020
sotall:
undecided

Coronavirus has been in Nigeria as early as last year December.

A lot of people have the disease and do not know it. We never had the testing kit till about a month ago anyway.

In all of these, one thing stands out, the number of confirmed infected persons in Nigeria is scam.

The real infected people with coronavirus disease are roaming the street spreading it

My bro in law called my hubby to tell him that somebody close to him caught the disease and that he used one drug, I just concluded that so many people are currently with the disease but doing self medication. Las Las we go dey ok all the figures are for big men entering nigeria
Re: How I Survived A Super Contagious Viral Infection by kem57644: 8:46pm On Apr 09, 2020
29gl6z3zay
Re: How I Survived A Super Contagious Viral Infection by YoungBlackRico(m): 8:47pm On Apr 09, 2020
I've always knew this shii was already in Nigeria before the index case.
Re: How I Survived A Super Contagious Viral Infection by Nobody: 8:47pm On Apr 09, 2020
proffemi:

Waoh.

As far as I'm concerned, you just provided the first evidence of something many of us suspect: that COVID-19 is out there in Naija. I really, really hope you get the antibody test done (so you can confirm).

But before then, congrats on dodging a real bullet. And your wife sounds like a real MVP. Kudos to her.
What about me that had similar experience in 2017. I almost died as the cough wan kill me. Naturally, Cough isn't my disease, but this one came with a fever and lasted for up to 1month. Even my neighbours con dey ask me wetin happen. I'm introvert,live alone, no friends and I don't mix, i cover very well when im coughing outside, so no one contracted it or I didn't see anyone else with it.
I used cough drug, but when it didn't work, I neglected it, since I had loads of assignment to do, I just told the cough say if u like make you kill me, I go do this assignment. It went by itself.
Then another bad experience in 2019, I began to wonder why I kept having this cattarh, maybe it's a flu (never knew flu dey Nigeria before this time as we often call everything cattarh) was there wasn't any cough. It was becoming incessant, so I started taking Vitamin C, and it stopped. When I don't have Vc, I take guava leaves, boil and drink the water
Does it mean it was covid17?
Re: How I Survived A Super Contagious Viral Infection by bizzibodi(m): 8:50pm On Apr 09, 2020
That is not covid-19 if it is we would hav 20,000 people infested in Abuja today.
Re: How I Survived A Super Contagious Viral Infection by justcallmenuel(m): 8:52pm On Apr 09, 2020
Thanks to God all of you are safe and healthy now.
Re: How I Survived A Super Contagious Viral Infection by bizzibodi(m): 8:54pm On Apr 09, 2020
ogbuefi677:

Had a similar experience in early March.
A boy who lives in our gatehouse but used to run errands for my family and come around was coughing.
After sometime,my 1st son started coughing on a Saturday.A dry cough that I didn't pay heed.
By Monday morning, my pregnant wife and second son started coughing.
3 of them then developed fever.
I treated everybody for malaria with e-mal injection and oral antibiotics(macrolides.I'm a doctor)
Initially,my first son's symptoms improved but madam and 2nd son got worse.
I now changed their antibiotics to intramuscular(ceftriaxone).
The fever stopped for 3 of them but the cough persisted.
I now consulted a colleague based on the kids who advised I use two different classes of antibiotics and miraculously the cough resolved soon after.
Worthy of note is that my wife's childhood friend who spent d weekend with us(when only my 1st son was sick) developed exactly same symptoms of cough and fever,same time as my wife and 2nd son and had to miss work for 3 days.
My children's nanny also developed a dry cough but not fever later in the week.
Miraculously,I never had cough nor fever despite being with them throughout.
I nearly ran mad that week oo,small thing make I shout "mummy m oooo".
Its possible corona virus has been in Abuja b4 now(I live in Abj too) cos it's mostly viral diseases that are that contagious when it comes to upper respiratory tract infections(TB too),the treatment with antibiotics os just to take care of superimposed bacterial infections, just like corona is a viral infection but in d end leads to bacterial pneumonia.
Nice reading from you and to God be the glory that it ended well.
U dnt need to mention all these drugs taken to avoid copycats (self- medicators).
Re: How I Survived A Super Contagious Viral Infection by Agugbadin: 8:55pm On Apr 09, 2020
We thank God for the healings.
Re: How I Survived A Super Contagious Viral Infection by baratech: 8:56pm On Apr 09, 2020
AFOLSNETWORKS:

6. Covid-19 might have been in Nigeria earlier than announced

7. As far as I know, not less than 20 people contracted the disease

You are right, I had the same experience in December.... And the 2 people that came to visit me got infected too

Severe dry cough, fever, tiredness, difficulty in breathing... I couldn't go anywhere for days... I was scared to sleep cos I wasn't sure I'll wake up, I didn't sleep for days.. I couldn't breathe... I Finally went to the hospital, They took blood samples for tests, but nothing was found... I was given a syrup for stubborn cough, and antibiotics.... And I got myself in less than a week...

1 Like

Re: How I Survived A Super Contagious Viral Infection by Nobody: 9:01pm On Apr 09, 2020
I said it. Uncle covid has been around since January , probably imported by those who came from overseas to spend the new year at home including those who travelled abroad last year December and returned January. A close relation encountered something similar but survived it.

1 Like

Re: How I Survived A Super Contagious Viral Infection by crystar: 9:06pm On Apr 09, 2020
AFOLSNETWORKS:
In view of the current COVID-19 pandemic ravaging the entire world, I have decided to put out this piece to let every reader know the virus is real, closer to you than you thought and gladly, you can overcome it.

The early part of this year was really a tough one for me and my family because I, my son and wife fell sick. I and my son were seriously sick while my wife was mildly sick as well, sadly, it didn’t stop there, it went on to people we were in close contact with.

It all started on Saturday 11th of January 2020, at that time we were fasting. On that Saturday, I went to town for some little run around and business, when I was done with my business, I decided to get some take away food at a nice restaurant in Wuse II, Abuja. As soon as I broke my fast that day with the same food I got, I started having a dry and persistent cough, I dismissed it as a normal cough that it will soon fade away.

The following morning, which was a Sunday, the cough persisted but I was still hoping it will clear off. We all went to church but couldn’t wait till the church closed, we had to leave earlier because I was feeling feverish. The normal me was trying to fight the fever hoping it will go by the next day. Later that night my wife noticed my body was warmer than normal, so we check with the aid of a thermometer and found out my body temperature was above 38, so I took paracetamol to calm the situation and we all slept. The cough and spike in temperature persisted through the night.

On Monday morning, my wife being a nurse didn’t take the situation lightly. She got an I.V (intravenous) line set and commenced administering drip into my system coupled with malaria and cough treatment. I felt my strength was fast dwindling. I was sweating profusely and I had lost appetite for food. It was like 25% of my consciousness was shut. Yet the fever wouldn’t subside. She also commenced a broad-spectrum antibiotic but all to no avail.

Soon enough my son started spiking and treatment began for him as well. All treatment administered by my wife was in consultation with her doctor colleagues. The days were going by and I wasn’t feeling better.

When our neighbors got to know I wasn’t feeling fine, they came to check up on me at different times. I couldn’t engage them for long as I was mentally down. Before I knew what was going on, the two families caught the infection too and that got me more worried and panic almost set in.

I had not been that sick in a very long time. My energy was so down I had to request for Lucuzade Boost aside several ORS I had to take. The malaria treatment was completed but I wasn’t back to myself, the fever was still there, the cough persisted despite use of good brands of cough syrup and same for my son. We had to change the antibiotics to a stronger one based on prescription. Yet I and my son weren’t getting better. While all this was going on my wife caught the infection too but for God knows why, she wasn’t as knocked off as I and our son were. She could still run around to get medications for us.

On one of the occasions, we had to go to the hospital to unofficially see one of her doctor colleagues to check and probably recommend investigations or medications but we were advised to complete the antibiotics as the test result will not be correct since medication have already commenced. On our way out that day we were asked by a doctor friend who works at the National Hospital Abuja to stop by so she could check me. Haven examined me and with the brief history, she suspected upper respiratory infection as my wife had earlier suspected. Unfortunately, days after, I learnt she and her son contracted the infection (the doctor friend is a sister to our neighbour). I felt so sad and my wife cried because it started from our house and it was escalating super-fast.

All the while, I never wanted to be admitted in a hospital because I believed that will automatically make the situation worse for me, stress my wife and will also get my aged parents worried knowing fully well, I’ve only been on hospital bed once during my service year. While I was about midway into the stronger oral antibiotics and still not getting better, I told my wife, “Please, if I’m not better by tomorrow morning, take me to the hospital”. At that point the reality almost supersede my coping mechanism, I’ve never had such magnitude of mental fatigue. It was like I was fast closing my eyes to this world. It was not funny.

My wife had to put call through again and this time she was advised to administer intravenous antibiotics for both me and my son which I had earlier refused because I felt the matter wasn’t that serious. It was only after then I began to feel better and recover. At that time, I had lost weight and I was frail. I completed the IV antibiotics and felt better but we had to go get some more supportive medication at H-Medix in town, so I drove (we reside at a near suburb to central business district), I thought I was completely ok, when we were done buying stuff, I told my wife, “Please drive.” My energy was zapped, I hadn’t fully recovered from the mental fatigue. I had to take one further week of bed rest before I could fully recover even after completion of medications.

As at January 23rd thereabout, the doctor friend who examined me and suspected upper respiratory infection had been admitted with her son at the National Hospital Abuja, that wasn’t all, her doctor colleague who went to set line for her son at home had also contracted the infection and it spread to the later doctor’s daughter too. A few classmates from my neighbor’s son’s school had reported sick. I got worried and decided to call NCDC to report, but for unknown reason I couldn’t reach them on phone. So, I decided I would go to NCDC office on Monday Jan 27th to lodge a report. Before then, we decided to go visit the doctor friend and her son at The National Hospital on Sunday January 26th.

When we got to the hospital, we met her in good condition. I discussed with her that I will go to NCDC to go lodge a report but she told me the FCT Infectious Disease Control (NCDC) had taken her sample for investigation and that there may be no need to further escalate the matter. This was corroborated by the consultant physician who managed her as he concluded the it was a “Self-Limiting Upper Respiratory Viral Infection”. The doctor and her son got better and were discharged afterward.

Thankfully, everyone I knew of who contracted the disease recovered. Although I subsequently had an inflamed bronchus (my left side), I treated that with heat several times and that was it.

From all indications the following can be deduced from the experience:
1. We dealt with a super contagious viral infection
2. No one could state at what point we individually contracted the virus
3. All the signs and symptoms were no different from that of COVID-19
4. The infection could be fatal if NOTHING is done
5. Not everyone in our close contact contracted the virus (My younger sister and a neighbor’s wife)

Kindly note I cannot categorically say what we had was COVID-19 because no such investigation was carried out on any of us. The result of the doctor retuned NEGATIVE FOR LASSA FEVER VIRUS and no other viral test was conducted. When Nigeria had the index case for COVID-19, I called NCDC to know if I could get an antibody test but was told they were currently only conducting antigen test for people who show symptoms for COVID-19.

The essence of this write up is to know you can beat a viral infection. Viral infection is not a death sentence but shouldn’t be allowed to progress. Full recovery is also possible if prompt and proper measures are taken.

Stay Safe, Healthy & Secured!
You made a solid point sir. How can I get the names of all the drugs you used sir? Send me pm on 08034522530 or 08100439551. Thank you
Re: How I Survived A Super Contagious Viral Infection by proffemi: 9:09pm On Apr 09, 2020
Acmepreneur:

What about me that had similar experience in 2017. I almost died as the cough wan kill me. Naturally, Cough isn't my disease, but this one came with a fever and lasted for up to 1month. Even my neighbours con dey ask me wetin happen. I'm introvert,live alone, no friends and I don't mix, i cover very well when im coughing outside, so no one contracted it or I didn't see anyone else with it.
I used cough drug, but when it didn't work, I neglected it, since I had loads of assignment to do, I just told the cough say if u like make you kill me, I go do this assignment. It went by itself.
Then another bad experience in 2019, I began to wonder why I kept having this cattarh, maybe it's a flu (never knew flu dey Nigeria before this time as we often call everything cattarh) was there wasn't any cough. It was becoming incessant, so I started taking Vitamin C, and it stopped. When I don't have Vc, I take guava leaves, boil and drink the water
Does it mean it was covid17?

Lol. I no know which year of release your own COVID be o.

Seriously, OP's symptoms sound suspiciously like COVID. Not just the cough alone; not just the fever alone...its about how both started and fed off each other. Plus the entire course of the infection makes it sound like COVID. But he was also smart enough not to say with any certainty that it was COVID. Your own meanwhile sounds like a nasty infection, but them never been release COVID that time grin grin
Re: How I Survived A Super Contagious Viral Infection by babyfaceafrica: 9:10pm On Apr 09, 2020
bizzibodi:

U dnt need to mention all these drugs taken to avoid copycats (self- medicators).
he mention, ẹ no mention.. Naija will self medicate.. Forget!

2 Likes

Re: How I Survived A Super Contagious Viral Infection by maklelemakukula(m): 9:20pm On Apr 09, 2020
Positivepoint:

I had same experience around December last year, me.my wife and son where so sick for almost a month with dry cough and breathing problem. We tot it was the weather and almost everywhere in Kano people complained of serious fever and flu and alot died. U can confirm from if u ve people in Kano around December to early January
this is strange oo
Re: How I Survived A Super Contagious Viral Infection by ogbuefi677(m): 9:24pm On Apr 09, 2020
bizzibodi:

They're all OTCs(over d counter drugs),so na dem sabi.
At worst, they'd be engaging in antibiotics abuse
Re: How I Survived A Super Contagious Viral Infection by cremeandchic: 9:24pm On Apr 09, 2020
Babatunde40:
I have read stories of people who said they had flu symptoms very similar to those of coronavirus last year

Many people will get this covid 19 and recover without knowing they were positive to covid 19

I had similar symptoms too last year. December. Very close to Christmas. It lasted about 2 weeks.

I hardly get sick but i always have the flu at least once in 3 months.

But this particular flu was like none other. I was really sick and i can remember writing about it on social media because it felt very weird and it was towards Christmas. I was very sick on Christmas day too.

I have also been wondering if what i had was the virus but i quickly remind myself that the virus was not even in Nigeria as at then

But now that i am reading that there were other people who experienced something similar, i think i'm at least 80% sure that the virus has been here for a while.

2 Likes

Re: How I Survived A Super Contagious Viral Infection by thegloor: 9:33pm On Apr 09, 2020
Flier:
Nonsense! you just decided you had Coronavirus because you suffered respiratory problems?
Infact the case in China wasn’t up to 5 people around January 11 so where did you get yours ?

It was about 500 as at January 11.

2 Likes

Re: How I Survived A Super Contagious Viral Infection by thegloor: 9:37pm On Apr 09, 2020
Flier:
I wasted my time reading it,he decided he had Coronavirus because he suffered from respiratory problems around January 11th,a period where the case in China isn’t up to 5 people
Thousands of people are suffering from respiratory problem in Nigeria and that doesn’t mean they are suffering from corona virus

Stop saying what you don't know.

Re: How I Survived A Super Contagious Viral Infection by thegloor: 9:39pm On Apr 09, 2020
cmecproblem:

The person who had a similar experience in Lagos had symptoms as at December last year. The virus was given a name after the breakout in China. It may have been around earlier than we know.

I am suspecting it started in November or October but the Chinese didn't realize that until late December

1 Like

Re: How I Survived A Super Contagious Viral Infection by ogbuefi677(m): 9:41pm On Apr 09, 2020
Angelfrost:
Thank God for your health and that of those you love... Your healing will remain permanent.

First off, for a viral infection (suspected or tested), oral anti-infectives like antibiotics and antimalarials were not only unnecessary, but highly counterproductive... This is part of the growing issue of drug resistance in this country.

What really helped you was the good immune system you already had, and the supportive care from your wife.

This is the testimony of a lot of Nigerians who got infected... I'm talking thousands ncdc has failed to test across the nation, since February.
In a lot of viral upper respiratory tract infections,there is superimposition of bacterial infections most times.
Eg,in catarrh most times, d nasal discharge is initially clear colored like water.
But when it turns greenish or brownish + or - fever,it means bacterial infections have set in.
Re: How I Survived A Super Contagious Viral Infection by Lilibeats: 9:43pm On Apr 09, 2020
Thank God for your life
Re: How I Survived A Super Contagious Viral Infection by dreamwords: 9:46pm On Apr 09, 2020
Babatunde40:
I have read stories of people who said they had flu symptoms very similar to those of coronavirus last year

Many people will get this covid 19 and recover without knowing they were positive to covid 19
Corona doesnt stay in a human body more than 1month, its either it kills the individual or the viruses dies a natural death and the person recovers
Re: How I Survived A Super Contagious Viral Infection by olukunle50: 9:48pm On Apr 09, 2020
something of such happened to me dis year, around February or so, d same symptoms with d op, my brodas wife who is a nurse injected me, d nxt day she contacted d disease, my broda who is a medical doctor too contacted d disease, anybody i had contact with in d house contacted it, some of dem got it from me tru sneezing, it was so serious, we all had covid 19 symptoms, thank GOD is not now i got d sickness, only GOD knows wat people would b thinking...we all showed d same symptoms...

4 Likes

Re: How I Survived A Super Contagious Viral Infection by medube(m): 9:48pm On Apr 09, 2020
AFOLSNETWORKS:
In view of the current COVID-19 pandemic ravaging the entire world, I have decided to put out this piece to let every reader know the virus is real, closer to you than you thought and gladly, you can overcome it.

The early part of this year was really a tough one for me and my family because I, my son and wife fell sick. I and my son were seriously sick while my wife was mildly sick as well, sadly, it didn’t stop there, it went on to people we were in close contact with.

It all started on Saturday 11th of January 2020, at that time we were fasting. On that Saturday, I went to town for some little run around and business, when I was done with my business, I decided to get some take away food at a nice restaurant in Wuse II, Abuja. As soon as I broke my fast that day with the same food I got, I started having a dry and persistent cough, I dismissed it as a normal cough that it will soon fade away.

The following morning, which was a Sunday, the cough persisted but I was still hoping it will clear off. We all went to church but couldn’t wait till the church closed, we had to leave earlier because I was feeling feverish. The normal me was trying to fight the fever hoping it will go by the next day. Later that night my wife noticed my body was warmer than normal, so we check with the aid of a thermometer and found out my body temperature was above 38, so I took paracetamol to calm the situation and we all slept. The cough and spike in temperature persisted through the night.

On Monday morning, my wife being a nurse didn’t take the situation lightly. She got an I.V (intravenous) line set and commenced administering drip into my system coupled with malaria and cough treatment. I felt my strength was fast dwindling. I was sweating profusely and I had lost appetite for food. It was like 25% of my consciousness was shut. Yet the fever wouldn’t subside. She also commenced a broad-spectrum antibiotic but all to no avail.

Soon enough my son started spiking and treatment began for him as well. All treatment administered by my wife was in consultation with her doctor colleagues. The days were going by and I wasn’t feeling better.

When our neighbors got to know I wasn’t feeling fine, they came to check up on me at different times. I couldn’t engage them for long as I was mentally down. Before I knew what was going on, the two families caught the infection too and that got me more worried and panic almost set in.

I had not been that sick in a very long time. My energy was so down I had to request for Lucuzade Boost aside several ORS I had to take. The malaria treatment was completed but I wasn’t back to myself, the fever was still there, the cough persisted despite use of good brands of cough syrup and same for my son. We had to change the antibiotics to a stronger one based on prescription. Yet I and my son weren’t getting better. While all this was going on my wife caught the infection too but for God knows why, she wasn’t as knocked off as I and our son were. She could still run around to get medications for us.

On one of the occasions, we had to go to the hospital to unofficially see one of her doctor colleagues to check and probably recommend investigations or medications but we were advised to complete the antibiotics as the test result will not be correct since medication have already commenced. On our way out that day we were asked by a doctor friend who works at the National Hospital Abuja to stop by so she could check me. Haven examined me and with the brief history, she suspected upper respiratory infection as my wife had earlier suspected. Unfortunately, days after, I learnt she and her son contracted the infection (the doctor friend is a sister to our neighbour). I felt so sad and my wife cried because it started from our house and it was escalating super-fast.

All the while, I never wanted to be admitted in a hospital because I believed that will automatically make the situation worse for me, stress my wife and will also get my aged parents worried knowing fully well, I’ve only been on hospital bed once during my service year. While I was about midway into the stronger oral antibiotics and still not getting better, I told my wife, “Please, if I’m not better by tomorrow morning, take me to the hospital”. At that point the reality almost supersede my coping mechanism, I’ve never had such magnitude of mental fatigue. It was like I was fast closing my eyes to this world. It was not funny.

My wife had to put call through again and this time she was advised to administer intravenous antibiotics for both me and my son which I had earlier refused because I felt the matter wasn’t that serious. It was only after then I began to feel better and recover. At that time, I had lost weight and I was frail. I completed the IV antibiotics and felt better but we had to go get some more supportive medication at H-Medix in town, so I drove (we reside at a near suburb to central business district), I thought I was completely ok, when we were done buying stuff, I told my wife, “Please drive.” My energy was zapped, I hadn’t fully recovered from the mental fatigue. I had to take one further week of bed rest before I could fully recover even after completion of medications.

As at January 23rd thereabout, the doctor friend who examined me and suspected upper respiratory infection had been admitted with her son at the National Hospital Abuja, that wasn’t all, her doctor colleague who went to set line for her son at home had also contracted the infection and it spread to the later doctor’s daughter too. A few classmates from my neighbor’s son’s school had reported sick. I got worried and decided to call NCDC to report, but for unknown reason I couldn’t reach them on phone. So, I decided I would go to NCDC office on Monday Jan 27th to lodge a report. Before then, we decided to go visit the doctor friend and her son at The National Hospital on Sunday January 26th.

When we got to the hospital, we met her in good condition. I discussed with her that I will go to NCDC to go lodge a report but she told me the FCT Infectious Disease Control (NCDC) had taken her sample for investigation and that there may be no need to further escalate the matter. This was corroborated by the consultant physician who managed her as he concluded the it was a “Self-Limiting Upper Respiratory Viral Infection”. The doctor and her son got better and were discharged afterward.

Thankfully, everyone I knew of who contracted the disease recovered. Although I subsequently had an inflamed bronchus (my left side), I treated that with heat several times and that was it.

From all indications the following can be deduced from the experience:
1. We dealt with a super contagious viral infection
2. No one could state at what point we individually contracted the virus
3. All the signs and symptoms were no different from that of COVID-19
4. The infection could be fatal if NOTHING is done
5. Not everyone in our close contact contracted the virus (My younger sister and a neighbor’s wife)

Kindly note I cannot categorically say what we had was COVID-19 because no such investigation was carried out on any of us. The result of the doctor retuned NEGATIVE FOR LASSA FEVER VIRUS and no other viral test was conducted. When Nigeria had the index case for COVID-19, I called NCDC to know if I could get an antibody test but was told they were currently only conducting antigen test for people who show symptoms for COVID-19.

The essence of this write up is to know you can beat a viral infection. Viral infection is not a death sentence but shouldn’t be allowed to progress. Full recovery is also possible if prompt and proper measures are taken.

Stay Safe, Healthy & Secured!

I have been saying the exact same thing that this virus has been here since December when people were going and coming for Christmas.

By the end of January, I left Abia state, where I work, and came to Akwa Ibom where my family reside, as I always do. The only difference is how I made the drive that day was a miracle because I woke up being very weak and having chills. By the time I got to Ikot Ekpene, I was already coughing. Got into town and took it as probably the extra dust the harmattan brought in January. The days that followed I had a terrible dry cough and hard of breathing. Pain in the chest and chills. Didn't really have a temperature like that. For the first time ever, I decided to visit the doctor for a cough. He checked me out and said my chest is clear, but there seems to be an infection, so he'll treat me for pneumonia. I was given some hard antibiotics and pain killers (paracetamol). I also took my usual quarterly anti-malaria which was due.

Now when all hype of COVID-19 came out, I actually analysed it and realised it may have been what I had. Another thing is everyone in my house, from madam to baby got it. Each person showed different slight symptoms, some none at all.

I thank God, I'm here today to talk about this. It shall all pass by the grace of God.

1 Like

Re: How I Survived A Super Contagious Viral Infection by profndu(m): 9:50pm On Apr 09, 2020
GoshenNLA:
E too long abeg, who can summarize??

What are you doing with your stay at home time?
Don't be the proverbial African that missed his future just because it was hidden inside a book.
Be patient and read articles cos no knowledge is a waste.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Man Brings His Generator For Child’s Treatment At UCTH - photos / Please How Can I Handle This Infection / Usman Ndagi, Immigration Officer, Dies Hours After His Sister's Death (pix)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.