Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,317 members, 7,815,594 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:03 PM

COVID-19: 4 Nigerians Detained In Cotonou Over N900, 000 Quarantine Fees - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / COVID-19: 4 Nigerians Detained In Cotonou Over N900, 000 Quarantine Fees (386 Views)

FG May Pay N1.68tn Fuel Subsidy, Marketers Forecast N900/litre / Olubadan Sends Delegation To Cotonou Over Sunday Igboho’s Trial / Xenophobia: Makinde Gives N900,000 To 30 Oyo Indigenes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

COVID-19: 4 Nigerians Detained In Cotonou Over N900, 000 Quarantine Fees by NwaNimo1(m): 7:05pm On Apr 08, 2020
Four Nigerian returnees have been detained by soldiers in Cotonou, the Benin Republic after being quarantined for 14 days in a hotel in the West African country for refusing to pay N900, 000 each for the accommodation facility. The Nigerians who arrived in Cotonou from different parts of Europe and America, Vanguard gathered were forcefully taken to the hotel by the security officers after they were stopped by immigration officers from continuing their journey to Nigeria.

A source close to a family member of one of them said that the returnees were told by the immigration that they will only be allowed out of the country if certified COVID-19 negative. They were later taken to the Benin Royal Hotel, allegedly owned by the President of the country against their wish and forced to stay. READ ALSO: 7 days after lockdown: ‘Better to be killed by COVID-19 than hunger’ In a voice mail from one of the detainees locked up in separate cells at an unknown detention camp in a remote part of the town and made available to Vanguard, said their international passports have been seized.

Narrating their ordeal in the video, he said it all started after they were declared negative for COVID-19 and a bill of N900, 000 presented to each of them to pay as charges for the accommodation in the hotel for the duration of the quarantine. And when they declared that they didn’t have such amount of money with them, the officials insisted the bill must be paid before they will be allowed to leave the country. “I was surprised when the police arrived and tried to enforce the order of payment. Later some soldiers joined, dragged us out of the hotel and took us to the detention camp.

“We were told that the government gave an order that foreigners quarantined for COVID-19 must pay their bills.” “I arrive in Cotonou and submitted to their order that I be quarantined for 14 days to prove I was Coronavirus free. I was taken to an office where I saw other Nigerians. They seized our international passports. We protested being forced to stay in that hotel after we got to know we will be responsible for the about N40, 000 per night cost (without food). The official lodged us into the rooms and handed us over to another set of officers of the state. After the 14 days, we were issued bills to pay. The officials said it was an order by the government that every foreigner must pay.

The Nigerian Returnee further appealed to President Muhammadu Buhari to save their lives. “We have spent four days in detention and no sign we will be released. We appeal to the Nigerian government to save our lives. We fear they may harm us and claim we are criminals. I cannot afford that amount now and the officials are not listening to us. We don’t even know the name of where we are being detained.” President Muhammadu Buhari should please intervene and save our lives. We have been confirmed COVID-19 free but the people here are subjecting us to this traumatic treatment, “he said.

Read more at: https://www.vanguardngr.com/2020/04/covid-19-4-nigerians-detained-in-cotonou-over-n900-000-quarantine-fees/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: COVID-19: 4 Nigerians Detained In Cotonou Over N900, 000 Quarantine Fees by Abfinest007(m): 7:08pm On Apr 08, 2020
a case of see finish
Re: COVID-19: 4 Nigerians Detained In Cotonou Over N900, 000 Quarantine Fees by Mysticwebb: 7:10pm On Apr 08, 2020
Following the title without reading the body, one would think they stole the money. Once you see Nigeria, see money and see detained, then your mind will quickly start processing things.
Re: COVID-19: 4 Nigerians Detained In Cotonou Over N900, 000 Quarantine Fees by Lipscomb(m): 7:13pm On Apr 08, 2020
What they refuse to tell us is why they land in Benin republic instead of Nigeria all the way from Europe. undecided
Re: COVID-19: 4 Nigerians Detained In Cotonou Over N900, 000 Quarantine Fees by myfan: 7:16pm On Apr 08, 2020
Evening to you all
Re: COVID-19: 4 Nigerians Detained In Cotonou Over N900, 000 Quarantine Fees by Compliant(m): 7:21pm On Apr 08, 2020
one of them said
“We were told that the government gave an order that foreigners quarantined for COVID-19 must pay their bills.” “I arrive in Cotonou and submitted to their order that I be quarantined for 14 days to prove I was Coronavirus free.

OGA PLEASE PAY UP
Re: COVID-19: 4 Nigerians Detained In Cotonou Over N900, 000 Quarantine Fees by Xzellentgraphic: 7:31pm On Apr 08, 2020
The only thing that can save them is..they should he hausa fulani and a muslim. Or else they will leave all their lives in the prison...

(1) (Reply)

I Was Misquoted – SGF, Boss Mustapha Clarifies Statement On Health System In Nig / Covid 19 :confirmed New Cases Of Corona Virus / Panic In Eket Over Coronavirus Status Of Popular Cleric, Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.