Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,099 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:47 AM

This Is The Reason Why You Should Not Against Your Enemies.[photo] - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / This Is The Reason Why You Should Not Against Your Enemies.[photo] (603 Views)

This Is The Reason Why You Should Not Pray Against Your Enemies.[photo] / 21 Reasons Why “praying For Your Enemies To Die” Is Unscriptural / Stronger Than Your Enemies. Sermon And Prayer Points By Pastor E. A. Adeboye. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

This Is The Reason Why You Should Not Against Your Enemies.[photo] by Nobody: 6:39pm On Apr 09, 2020
Please drop your comment and share the Post to others.

Re: This Is The Reason Why You Should Not Against Your Enemies.[photo] by xcabczyxabczzzz: 6:47pm On Apr 09, 2020
You have to patent your phone number to the pix like sai you discover electricity.
Re: This Is The Reason Why You Should Not Against Your Enemies.[photo] by Nobody: 6:51pm On Apr 09, 2020
xcabczyxabczzzz:
You have to patent your phone number to the pix like sai you discover electricity.
That is not my quote please
Re: This Is The Reason Why You Should Not Against Your Enemies.[photo] by LabuleofNigeria: 7:00pm On Apr 09, 2020
ok ooo grin
continue praying for corona virus to get stronger over your region
Re: This Is The Reason Why You Should Not Against Your Enemies.[photo] by Eviana(f): 9:37pm On Apr 09, 2020
While that quotation is very true in terms of everyone having an enemy or more--whether deserved or not-- I still can't get over the "prayers of death for enemies" concept.
Never heard of that until I got to Nairaland.
That is a Nigerian concept of Christianity (by many churches there it seems) that isn't scripturally correct.

2 Likes

Re: This Is The Reason Why You Should Not Against Your Enemies.[photo] by Acehart: 11:37pm On Apr 09, 2020
Eviana:
While that quotation is very true in terms of everyone having an enemy or more--whether deserved or not-- I still can't get over the "prayers of death for enemies" concept.
That is a Nigerian concept of Christianity (by many churches there it seems) that isn't scripturally correct.

A concept by all Pentecostal churches and many orthodox churches whose pastors covert the “prosperity” of the Pentecostal church overseers. It’s actually the effect of the syncretism between African Traditional Religion (ATR) and the Old Testament (the parts that marry perfectly with ATR).

2 Likes

Re: This Is The Reason Why You Should Not Against Your Enemies.[photo] by jcross19: 11:37pm On Apr 09, 2020
Eviana:
you better ask Jesus why did he condemn Judas.
Re: This Is The Reason Why You Should Not Against Your Enemies.[photo] by Acehart: 11:48pm On Apr 09, 2020
jcross19:
you better ask Jesus why did he condemn Judas.

If I asked: why is your grammar horrible? It isn’t a condemnation but a statement of fact. Your grammar says a lot about your educational background (this is a statement of fact). Same thing goes for Judas. (There is no place where Jesus condemns him) Judas’ nature was horrible. Any statement about him was never a condemnation but a statement of fact. One has to look at his nature to get to this conclusion.

However, if you have anywhere in the Bible where Jesus is seen condemning Judas, please state it (with the proper rule of the English grammar as the reason for your conclusion).

1 Like

Re: This Is The Reason Why You Should Not Against Your Enemies.[photo] by jcross19: 12:28pm On Apr 10, 2020
Acehart:

If I asked: why is your grammar horrible? It isn’t a condemnation but a statement of fact. Your grammar says a lot about your educational background (this is a statement of fact). Same thing goes for Judas. (There is no place where Jesus condemns him) Judas’ nature was horrible. Any statement about him was never a condemnation but a statement of fact. One has to look at his nature to get to this conclusion.

However, if you have anywhere in the Bible where Jesus is seen condemning Judas, please state it (with the proper rule of the English grammar as the reason for your conclusion).
can you correct that my grammar pls. now can you see you have no sense at all, I mean you are an empty skull. what's this verse saying mark 14:21 The son of man indeed goeth, as it is written of him: but WOE to that man by whom the son of man is betrayed! good were it for that man if he had never been born. so, woe is now blessing? like I have said you are fool.

1 Like

Re: This Is The Reason Why You Should Not Against Your Enemies.[photo] by Eviana(f): 5:40pm On Apr 10, 2020
Acehart:

A concept by all Pentecostal churches and many orthodox churches whose pastors covert the “prosperity” of the Pentecostal church overseers. It’s actually the effect of the syncretism between African Traditional Religion (ATR) and the Old Testament (the parts that marry perfectly with ATR).

Oh ok...
I couldn't figure out what "G.O" meant for the longest....and I should've asked a while ago.
General Overseer....
I would just overlook it and move on.
Will you explain the bolded better for me..in regards to the ATR part?
Do you think it's okay to merge the two?
Re: This Is The Reason Why You Should Not Against Your Enemies.[photo] by Acehart: 12:16am On Apr 11, 2020
Eviana:

Oh ok...
I couldn't figure out what "G.O" meant for the longest....and I should've asked a while ago.
General Overseer....
I would just overlook it and move on.
Will you explain the bolded better for me..in regards to the ATR part?
Do you think it's okay to merge the two?

I would try to make my response as brief as possible so that I may avert any ambiguity. (Please keep in mind the decree of the Jerusalem council concerning the Gentile Christians in the Acts of Apostle; it would make you fit in certain missing pieces in my response)

African Traditional Religion (ATR) has at its very core the following: concerns for health, wealth, and procreation. (You could watch or read “Things fall apart” by Chinua Achebe to understand what I mean).

In ATR, the following themes (not exhaustive) are where ATR and Pentecostalism in Africa or Nigeria kiss each other:
1. The native doctor. (I wouldn’t like to talk about the shrine and the deity)
2. The ATR prayer.
3. The sacrifice and/or the blood of the sacrifice.
4. The devotee.

The native doctor

Only the native doctor (shaman) has direct physical and spiritual access to the deity or spirit world. The devotee is not blessed with his gift. Therefore, everything the native doctor says must be obeyed because he is the mouthpiece of the gods; He is the only source of understanding.

The ATR prayer

The Christian style of prayer is not the ATR style of prayer. The conversation style prayer of true Christianity is antithetical to what is obtained in ATR. In ATR, it is a command-style form of prayer or a conjuring. It’s what is obtained in witchcraft. The part of the Bible used to support this ATR practice in the church is the quote from the False preacher, Eliphaz - Job’s friend - where he recommended “conjuring” (decree a thing...) as a form of prayer. So, in ATR, if one is poor, wealth is conjured. If one is sick, health is conjured. If one is childless, uhm! This one is complex o! Many things can be prescribed from adultery, fornication, human sacrifice, blood oaths with the deity etc. these could also be attached for the “procurement” of health and wealth too. At the end, a child is conjured for the barren.

The typical form of prayer in ATR is retaliatory in nature (we call it “back-to-sender” here in the Nigeria. Where a calamity is thought to be aroused by one’s enemy; and the retaliatory prayer controls the calamity and “sends” it back to where it came from - one’s enemy. Unfortunately this is the kind of prayer in many churches in Nigeria).

The sacrifice and/or the blood of the sacrifice

ATR is not based on faith but on rituals, ceremonies, and lived practices. In the rituals, ceremonies and lived practices, substances play a big role. These substances purchase the needs of the devotee from the deity. Unfortunately, the Nigerian church teach that substances purchase special privileges from God. A lot of references are made to blood sacrifices made in the Bible to the extent that Christ’s blood is transubstantiated, oaths made by Jacob and Jephthah etc. Like ATR, many churches have modern day styled rituals, ceremonies and lived practices based on many Bible texts. We have churches that prescribe daily midnight prayers to combat powers of darkness in one’s life and neighborhood - a derivation from ATR, “sowing seeds”, speaking (commanding) to the elements of nature and thereafter giving alms to secure the words spoken etc

The devotee

Like ATR, the devotee must follow prescribed prayer points given by the native doctor - word for word. Failure to obey or missing a step can have grave consequences. Yet, His faith is quasi-passive; as long as he follows the rules of engagement, everything is fine. However, the devotee has a lot of confidence in the native doctor because 1. the deity is shrouded in mystery 2. The native doctor is very confident and he exudes his confidence in his words and action. So, you may hear many Bible texts used to manipulate people in church in the ATR manner - where the native doctor is the habiter of the deity’s power: the most popular Bible verse is: 2 Chronicles 20:20: put your trust in the Lord your God and you will be established. Put your trust in His prophets and succeed."

When you can, please read https://www.amazon.com/Seduction-Nigerian-Church-Gary-Maxey-ebook/dp/B073NRSQMM
It would give you a bird’s eye view of Nigerian Christianity.

I don’t think my response is great but I hope it would spur you to find out more.
Re: This Is The Reason Why You Should Not Against Your Enemies.[photo] by Eviana(f): 2:05am On Apr 11, 2020
Sorry...made a mistake.
Will re-post.
Re: This Is The Reason Why You Should Not Against Your Enemies.[photo] by Eviana(f): 2:06am On Apr 11, 2020
Acehart:

I would try to make my response as brief as possible so that I may avert any ambiguity. (Please keep in mind the decree of the Jerusalem council concerning the Gentile Christians in the Acts of Apostle; it would make you fit in certain missing pieces in my response)

African Traditional Religion (ATR) has at its very core the following: concerns for health, wealth, and procreation. (You could watch or read “Things fall apart” by Chinua Achebe to understand what I mean).

In ATR, the following themes (not exhaustive) are where ATR and Pentecostalism in Africa or Nigeria kiss each other:
1. The native doctor. (I wouldn’t like to talk about the shrine and the deity)
2. The ATR prayer.
3. The sacrifice and/or the blood of the sacrifice.
4. The devotee.

The native doctor

Only the native doctor (shaman) has direct physical and spiritual access to the deity or spirit world. The devotee is not blessed with his gift. Therefore, everything the native doctor says must be obeyed because he is the mouthpiece of the gods; He is the only source of understanding.

The ATR prayer

The Christian style of prayer is not the ATR style of prayer. The conversation style prayer of true Christianity is antithetical to what is obtained in ATR. In ATR, it is a command-style form of prayer or a conjuring. It’s what is obtained in witchcraft. The part of the Bible used to support this ATR practice in the church is the quote from the False preacher, Eliphaz - Job’s friend - where he recommended “conjuring” (decree a thing...) as a form of prayer. So, in ATR, if one is poor, wealth is conjured. If one is sick, health is conjured. If one is childless, uhm! This one is complex o! Many things can be prescribed from adultery, fornication, human sacrifice, blood oaths with the deity etc. these could also be attached for the “procurement” of health and wealth too. At the end, a child is conjured for the barren.

The typical form of prayer in ATR is retaliatory in nature (we call it “back-to-sender” here in the Nigeria. Where a calamity is thought to be aroused by one’s enemy; and the retaliatory prayer controls the calamity and “sends” it back to where it came from - one’s enemy. Unfortunately this is the kind of prayer in many churches in Nigeria).

The sacrifice and/or the blood of the sacrifice

ATR is not based on faith but on rituals, ceremonies, and lived practices. In the rituals, ceremonies and lived practices, substances play a big role. These substances purchase the needs of the devotee from the deity. Unfortunately, the Nigerian church teach that substances purchase special privileges from God. A lot of references are made to blood sacrifices made in the Bible to the extent that Christ’s blood is transubstantiated, oaths made by Jacob and Jephthah etc. Like ATR, many churches have modern day styled rituals, ceremonies and lived practices based on many Bible texts. We have churches that prescribe daily midnight prayers to combat powers of darkness in one’s life and neighborhood - a derivation from ATR, “sowing seeds”, speaking (commanding) to the elements of nature and thereafter giving alms to secure the words spoken etc

The devotee

Like ATR, the devotee must follow prescribed prayer points given by the native doctor - word for word. Failure to obey or missing a step can have grave consequences. Yet, His faith is quasi-passive; as long as he follows the rules of engagement, everything is fine. However, the devotee has a lot of confidence in the native doctor because 1. the deity is shrouded in mystery 2. The native doctor is very confident and he exudes his confidence in his words and action. So, you may hear many Bible texts used to manipulate people in church in the ATR manner - where the native doctor is the habiter of the deity’s power: the most popular Bible verse is: 2 Chronicles 20:20: put your trust in the Lord your God and you will be established. Put your trust in His prophets and succeed."

When you can, please read https://www.amazon.com/Seduction-Nigerian-Church-Gary-Maxey-ebook/dp/B073NRSQMM
It would give you a bird’s eye view of Nigerian Christianity.

I don’t think my response is great but I hope it would spur you to find out more.

Yes, I read "Things Fall Apart" in high school.
Then saw it again in college.
One of the best stories I've ever read.

Thank you for this explanation....was very helpful. I will also check out the book.
Re: This Is The Reason Why You Should Not Against Your Enemies.[photo] by Eviana(f): 8:52pm On Apr 14, 2020
HenryOnTop:
Please drop your comment and share the Post to others.

Henry, here's a few ways, Jesus (through the Holy Scriptures), tells us to deal with our enemies:

Matthew 6:14-15(KJV)

14 For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you:

15 But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses

Matthew 5:44 (KJV)

44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

Romans 12:19 (KJV)

19 Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.

Mercy, mercy, mercy...
Talk about some tough scriptures! I totally understand..trust me I do know very well.
So extremely challenging to live by...but not UNobtainable through Christ.
This is what I mean by allowing the Lord to cleanse us from all unrighteousness...
This is the "meat" of true Christianity: the Fruit of the Spirit...whether we will one day be victorious in total surrender to Him in order for Him to transform us into His like-ness.
The Nigerian brand of "fire and force death" to enemies is unscriptural folks.
I'm sorry to burst your "traditions:.
You can read for yourself in the Bible.
I know I'm adding more "stones to throw" in some people's hands on this forum, but I must speak the truth.
You can't be mixing "cultural traditions" with Christ' biblical teachings. We don't get to make our own rules (that benefit us or satisfy our flesh) as followers of Christ.

(1) (Reply)

FRESH TROUBLE: HURIWA Wants Prophet Odumeje Arrested / Is God Responsible For Some Being Poor ??? / Israel Appoints T.B Joshua As Ambassador Of Tourism

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.