Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,700 members, 7,831,181 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 03:00 PM

FG Is Unconstitutional: Falana Blasts Buhari's Unconstitutional Antecedents - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Is Unconstitutional: Falana Blasts Buhari's Unconstitutional Antecedents (215 Views)

Amotekun Not Unconstitutional, Falana Tackles Malami / Saraki, Tambuwal, Others Defection Unconstitutional - Falana / "This Is Nigeria": Femi Falana Blasts MURIC For Threatening To Sue Falz (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Is Unconstitutional: Falana Blasts Buhari's Unconstitutional Antecedents by raybaba97(m): 9:36am On Apr 11, 2020
In an interview electronically-conducted, LANRE ADEWOLE engaged leading lawyer and senior advocate of Nigeria, Mr. Femi Falana, on the state of the nation, coronavirus epidemic controversies and the quality of leadership; handling the attendant socio-economic crises.

Sir, what do you make of this administration’s established propensity to always put the cart before the horse, in making major polices that should be backed by law. What is becoming the norm at the federal and state level is, pronounce the policy first, then scramble around for the enabling law?

The nation was under all manners of military dictators for close to three decades. Even though civil rule was restored 21 years ago, the leading characters in the democratic structures are either former military rulers or those who had served under them. In fact, there was a time the President, the mnister of defence, minister of police affairs, national security adviser, chief of staff and chairman of the ruling political party were all retired generals. So, the civilian government was a quasi military regime. Even though the number of former military rulers has been reduced the mindset of the political and security chiefs has not changed. Public officers are still sacked with immediate effect while people are detained for months or years without trial. The Buhari administration has never hidden its disdain for the rule of law. In some interviews President Buhari has expressed frustration with the slow speed or the accountability prerequisite of a democratic dispensation. The regime has openly justified disobedience of court orders under the pretext of defending national security. It does not seem to appreciate that the security of the State is maintained under the rule of law. Even when the regime was compelled to release Omoyele Sowore and retired Colonel Sambo Dasuki from illegal custody last December based on court orders. it came out to say that it was an act of compassion or generosity. With such praetorian mindset the regime does not consider the legal implications of its actions and policies. Since the dramatis personae in power believe in the rule of might, the government is bound to take decisions without the backing of the law. We are ruled by individuals who believe in the rule of rulers and not in the rule of law.

You no longer sue government for illegality and unconstitutionality of actions, with the same frequency of the past, unlike your mentor, late Gani Fawehinmi, who didn’t stop taking government to court until his death. You appear to have mellowed into advocacy and jurisprudential guidance. Why?

I am afraid your information is not correct. Recently, a bunch of paid lumpen elements staged a protest against me in Abuja for purportedly using the courts to blackmail the federal government. Can you believe that? The fact is that due to increasing wave of official impunity of the government, I have filed more cases in court than ever before. Unlike in those days when all our public interest litigation cases were dismissed for want of locus standi the situation has changed due to our persistence and doggedness. We have recorded some huge success in using the instrumentality of the law to challenge official impunity in the country. For instance, our law firm won the case over the right of every child to free and compulsory basic education at the expense of the State. We have won the case to have the People’s Bank restored. We have won the case that stopped a contractor from collecting cerpac fees from all expatriates in Nigeria. We have won the case against the regulation banning police women from marrying suitors of their choice without written permission of a commissioner of police. We won the case against obtaining police permit for rallies and demonstrations by aggrieved citizens and groups. At the same time we have lost many cases while others are pending in courts. One of the cases which we lost at the federal high court has to do with the right of Nigerians to basic health. The case was struck out due to lack of locus standi. We are pursuing the appeal in view of the threat posed to the health of all citizens by the coronavirus pandemic. In many instances, our public comments and those of others have forced governments to reverse certain illegal policies and unpopular programmes. In such circumstances, we have refrained from going to court. I am sure that is what you mean by saying that I have resorted to advocacy and jurisprudential guidance.

The presidency of Major General Muhammadu Buhari rarely yields to advocacy and plea, which possibly explains the refusal to withdraw soldiers from COVID-19 regulations enforcement duties despite the killing of innocent Nigerians wit

The rest is here
https://tribuneonlineng.com/falana-explodes-we-are-ruled-by-incompetent-ignorant-lawless-individuals/
What do you think?
Re: FG Is Unconstitutional: Falana Blasts Buhari's Unconstitutional Antecedents by WandaNara: 9:38am On Apr 11, 2020
Hungerbad
Re: FG Is Unconstitutional: Falana Blasts Buhari's Unconstitutional Antecedents by oyinvibes123(m): 9:41am On Apr 11, 2020
Not Scam !!! Subscribe to this YouTube channel link and you get 5000 naira each , Top 100 new subscriber get it , it real oo just got mine , also after subscribing to it drop ur account number on one of their videos

[url][/https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5r0FR4zO8OHMDOwssalV7A]
Re: FG Is Unconstitutional: Falana Blasts Buhari's Unconstitutional Antecedents by sapientia(m): 9:44am On Apr 11, 2020
First Sir, I will overlook the fact that you are one of those that marketed Buhari to Nigerians to applaud you on your work so far.

Anyime I look beyond the fact that your support for Buhari garnered millions of votes for, I see a man passionate for Nigerians and for this i say, THANK YOU SIR.

[b]For instance, our law firm won the case over the right of every child to free and compulsory basic education at the expense of the State. We have won the case to have the People’s Bank restored. We have won the case that stopped a contractor from collecting cerpac fees from all expatriates in Nigeria. We have won the case against the regulation banning police women from marrying suitors of their choice without written permission of a commissioner of police. We won the case against obtaining police permit for rallies and demonstrations by aggrieved citizens and groups. At the same time we have lost many cases while others are pending in courts. One of the cases which we lost at the federal high court has to do with the right of Nigerians to basic health. The case was struck out due to lack of locus standi. We are pursuing the appeal in view of the threat posed to the health of all citizens by the coronavirus pandemic. In many instances, our public comments and those of others have forced governments to reverse certain illegal policies and unpopular programmes. In such circumstances, we have refrained from going to court. I am sure that is what you mean by saying that I have resorted to advocacy and jurisprudential guidance.[/b]

Music to my hears. I forgive you sir for your sin against Nigeria 2014/2015.

I can't forget how you equally fought to ensure that the tyranny against the Judiciary by Buhari did not stand until we were all betrayed by the NJC.

Sir, that singular act sealed our fate under this unapologetic dictator coupist and he became both the Judge and prosecutor.

I actually clicked on this link to blast you sir but all I can say now is "Ride on and Godspeed".

(1) (Reply)

COVID-19: Good News For Oyo State Residents As Ex Lawmaker Touches Lives / Covid-19 And The Need For Imminent Reformation / Anambra Covid19: Yapjen Cautions Security Agencies Against High Handeedness

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.