Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,770 members, 7,809,971 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:02 PM

Opinion: Are We Already In For A Community Spread Of COVID-19? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Opinion: Are We Already In For A Community Spread Of COVID-19? (259 Views)

NCDC Reacts To News That There Are 472 Confirmed Cases Of COVID-19 In Nigeria / Nigeria’s Hot Temperature May Suppress Spread Of Coronavirus — Virologist / Oyinbo Man With HIV Vows To Spread It To Ladies In Lagos - Twitter User (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Opinion: Are We Already In For A Community Spread Of COVID-19? by McCoy662(m): 7:55pm On Apr 11, 2020
Hello fams, at this very critical time, I wish to relate to us my observations and why there is need for us to intensify any measure(s) aimed at combating and containing Covid-19.

Recall that the index case, a medical doctor who died of Covid-19 in Katsina state is just a random returnee from Lagos. At least from what I read online, he had no travel history outside the country of late neither is he a close contact of a confirmed case. He just returned from Lagos state!!
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that a medical doctor based in Daura, Katsina State, Dr Aliyu Yakubu, has died just before being confirmed to have been infected with COVID-19.

Gov. Aminu Masari of Katsina State announced this at a media briefing on Tuesday at the Government House in Katsina.

He disclosed that the doctor, who was into private practice, died three days ago in Daura, after returning from Lagos State.

According to the governor, Yakubu had been hospitalised at the Nigerian Air Force Reference Hospital for about two hours before he died.

The medical practitioner was said to have travelled to Kogi State, his home state, and spent two weeks before returning to Daura.

Masari confirmed that Yakubu’s blood samples had been taken to the National Centre For Disease Control (NCDC) in Abuja for COVID-19 test and the result came out to be positive.

Also, the Delta State second index case was said to be a man who visited Lagos in the past two weeks. He has no records of travel abroad, just that he visited Lagos. The governor of Delta State wrote
“I have just been informed of another case of COVID19 in Delta State. The individual in question, had underlying health issues and had visited Lagos State in the past two weeks...
We all heard the story of Kwara state. How the Unilorin teaching hospital mismanaged the case, leading to scores being infected from the index case. Now assume the number of patients the doctors that attended to the index case must have attended to afterwards. What of the nurses?? What of the patients that was in the same ward with the index case. Can you estimate the number of people that paid the wife condolence visit? What of the contact of those contacts... It's just scary and I hope Kwara state and Nigeria don't get consumed by this "little" mistake.

Just yesterday, the Anambra state government announced the first case of Corona virus disease in the state. The victims is said to be a man who just returned from Lagos state.
According to the state governor in his address to the state today, he said
The index case came in from Lagos. He has been placed in one of our protective care centres...
He just returned from Lagos, no travel history outside the country and he's not a close contact of a confirmed case.

The Niger state government also confirmed an index case yesterday. A returnee from Lagos. The Niger state governor's address reads in part
...He disclosed that the patient is a returnee from Lagos state and resides at Limawa community in Minna.

Governor Abubakar Bello said Limawa community will also be in isolation for the two weeks period with health workers engaged to sensitize members of the community within the period.
There are lots of other cases from Lagos or Abuja which I don't remember right now.

Although NCDC doesn't give us a detailed information on the new cases, from all these, I have come to a conclusion that we are already at the level of community spread in Nigeria. This is very dangerous considering the population density of Lagos and our moribund health care system.
So, country people, let's play safe, let's not be tired of implementing any measures to keep us safe especially we the common men.
Let's be safe!!
Covid-19 is real!!
E no dey show for face oo!!!
Re: Opinion: Are We Already In For A Community Spread Of COVID-19? by kabeerhabe(m): 7:58pm On Apr 11, 2020
As d case is, we are not ready at all. with the facilities at hand.

meanwhile, i will be training people on software development and web designing on 15th of this month(April) via an audiovisual screen record format uploaded in google classroom, to join just whatsapp me on 08093921440
Re: Opinion: Are We Already In For A Community Spread Of COVID-19? by matrix199(m): 8:00pm On Apr 11, 2020
We're in for it.

Covid-19 has already been spread unwittingly by those who ignorantly travelled from Lagos back to their designations. In some few days time, many of the contacts to the index cases may start presenting with no symptoms, mild symptoms, or severe symptoms.

Now the problem is, the lockdown was not synchronised in all states. By the end of the 14 day lock down in Lagos state, FCT, and Ogun state, there might still be active cases in all 3 states, as well as other states, and trust me, some fellows would still infiltrate Lagos, FCT, and Ogun and most likely bring back the Covid to the states even if the spread of Covid in these 3 states has been contained.
Re: Opinion: Are We Already In For A Community Spread Of COVID-19? by OgbeniOja1: 8:01pm On Apr 11, 2020
This was our greatest fear
Re: Opinion: Are We Already In For A Community Spread Of COVID-19? by viccipedia: 8:15pm On Apr 11, 2020
Rhetorical question! Even USA isn’t ready.
Re: Opinion: Are We Already In For A Community Spread Of COVID-19? by chatinent: 8:26pm On Apr 11, 2020
It spells doom!
Re: Opinion: Are We Already In For A Community Spread Of COVID-19? by Coolabbie: 8:35pm On Apr 11, 2020
chatinent:
It spells doom!
For you.

(1) (Reply)

How The Paleo Diet Helps You Lose Weight? / Social Media Users Blast Corona Virus On His Instagram Page / Panic In China 89 New Coronavirus Cases Were Reported

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.