Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,313 members, 7,836,358 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 06:13 AM

Happy Easter, 2020! - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Happy Easter, 2020! (11978 Views)

Happy Easter Sunday / Happy Easter To Nairalanders. / Happy Easter Nairalanders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Happy Easter, 2020! by Thelife: 7:33am On Apr 12, 2020
Professorcplus:
QUESTION ABOUT THE RESSURECTION STORY

When Jesus arose from the dead, what was his nature: a GHOST or a PHYSICAL BODY?

Using biblical accounts, he zoomed through the wall — that could never been a fleshly body.

He suddenly appeared to a certain duo of disciples — again, that must have been a ghost.

But Thomas touched his hands — that could never be a ghost: he was a physical body.

He had a meal with the disciples — that must have been a fleshly body as spirits don't eat physical meals. grin

And when he ascended into the skies, what happened to his garment? Pulverized? Or removed, folded and kept neatly in a ward robe
in the heavens to be worn again when he's returning in the second coming grin grin

It's clear that most Christians don't think about these questions .

Smile.

Christian think about the Question and that's the reason why his the first born. He's a new form of existence. Read your bible to understand better.

Happy Easter
Re: Happy Easter, 2020! by OkikiOluwa1(m): 7:34am On Apr 12, 2020
Happy Easter. Luke 24:6. "He's not here cos He's risen". We shall not suffer loss in Jesus name, amen.

1 Like

Re: Happy Easter, 2020! by Facidio: 7:34am On Apr 12, 2020
Because He lives I can face tomorrow
Because He lives all fear is gone
Because I know He holds the future
And life is worth the living just because He lives.
May Christ victory over death heal the world of this Corona virus and every form of diseases. Happy Easter

1 Like

Re: Happy Easter, 2020! by TRADELYN: 7:34am On Apr 12, 2020
saxwizard:

Have you worked with mininet software before?
I'm talking about Your research writing

No, but we usually take up new project based on guidelines given to us by our clients since we are a team of experts in various fields.
Re: Happy Easter, 2020! by Thelife: 7:35am On Apr 12, 2020
Dangrace01:
He died by 3:00 pm how did they know

Was there 1:00 in Jesus time I'm just asking

It called study of event to depict time.

And who told you that GE die by 3pm?
Re: Happy Easter, 2020! by psalmistkakah(m): 7:35am On Apr 12, 2020
nathdim:
so you want me to believe that one white jew died for my sins 2000 years b4 I was born
Is your choice to believe, as for me and my household we believe and He has done a lot for us...I had personal testimonies not once which if I say, you will know that yes there is God...we have fake pastor's but I cannot take because of them and doubt the existence of my CREATOR..They will give their own account..
Re: Happy Easter, 2020! by logon599: 7:35am On Apr 12, 2020
Happy Easter everyone. Stay blessed and safe in this season.

And contact me to design your professional building drawings (architectural, structural, mechanical, electrical) all at good prices as well as construction supervision from foundation to painting. Kindly chat or call 0816 124 7898 if you need any one. Thank you

Re: Happy Easter, 2020! by Nobody: 7:36am On Apr 12, 2020
Ladycewhy:
lover boy, it haff tey you have been doing love love abi grin grin grin..

This one wey you don already cook rice and turkey this morning ,when you take wake up dey cook ,it's just 7:28 am here o.

grin

I learnt early celebration cooking from mum.

We used to be the first family in the neighborhood to send food to everyone. People always expected our food early on easter, Christmas and New year.

When she died in 2010
That was what all the neighborhood were saying they would surely miss. grin

Happy Easter sist.

Take care of your beautiful self. I can see in the spirit that you are cute and lovely.

So bad Nairaland is short of emojis.

Just wan blow you a kiss. grin
Re: Happy Easter, 2020! by Thelife: 7:38am On Apr 12, 2020
Kokoebapluse:
But coronavirus is here killing Christian. I wonder why Christian died of coronavirus.

Still wondering the reason why your Allah lock down his business center in mecca instead of him healing his dumb followers there as he always do.
Re: Happy Easter, 2020! by Starhearts: 7:39am On Apr 12, 2020
Kokoebapluse:

You may get kill if you say these in China or US

Like d way dem kill ur papa
Anyway am not in 9ja?
Re: Happy Easter, 2020! by Ladycewhy(f): 7:41am On Apr 12, 2020
WILLuKPquiet:

grin

I learnt early celebration cooking from mum.

We used to be the first family in the neighborhood to send food to everyone. People always expected our food early on easter, Christmas and New year.

When she died in 2010
That was what all the neighborhood were saying they would surely miss. grin

Happy Easter sist.

Take care of your beautiful self. I can see in the spirit that you are cute and lovely.

So bad Nairaland is short of emojis.

Just wan blow you a kiss. grin
RIP to her lovely soul.

Thank God say na blow you blow the kiss, Omo for this corona period so, we dey turn down handshake o grin grin grin, 2 meters away grin.

Happy Easter bro. Stay corona free.
Re: Happy Easter, 2020! by Dreyfundz(m): 7:42am On Apr 12, 2020
Happy Easter everyone
Who will do Easter for me
No money no food to chop
2126748462 UBA
Show me love ooo
Re: Happy Easter, 2020! by Ukwa1: 7:43am On Apr 12, 2020
[s]
Officialgarri:
Because Jesus Christ of Nazareth rose on this day, I declare ;

All the sick shall receive their miracle! Rise and walk!

All those looking for jobs and means of income shall receive miraculous employment and abundance of wealth!

Those of us seeking upliftment in our careers, we shall do exceedingly great beyond our wildest expectations.!

What ever we seek we shall find!

May we be greater than our fathers!

This Generation has received a new name from today and our name shall be changed for good.

We have risen like Jesus did!

In Jesus name. Amen
[/s]

1 Like

Re: Happy Easter, 2020! by Taiwojon(m): 7:45am On Apr 12, 2020
Happy Easter to you all on NL
Re: Happy Easter, 2020! by Bluntemperor: 7:47am On Apr 12, 2020
God Bless You,OP and N/Landers in general.
Seun, Lalaticlala,you see life now.How things can suddenly turned the other ways in a jiffy!
Those who says there is no God(Psm 14v1),i pity.The Coronavirus had suddenly wake the World up from slumbering.Europe,Britain even America now knows that God of Heaven and Earth do exist and Jehovah is his name.Who could have believed that Italy could ask Heavens to intervene in Corona Virus matters!
•We celebrate His Resurrection Power.
•We rejoice that He is Alive.
•We proclaimed His Majestic Authority over the Earth and Heaven.
•His precious Blood was shed for our sins,so no more shedding the-blood of goats,rams or cow or chicken for celebration as Christians.
Halleluyah,He Arose.
Stay blessed,this turbulent times shall come to PASS too !!.
Re: Happy Easter, 2020! by nnamdi282(m): 7:48am On Apr 12, 2020
Thank you Lord for dying on the cross for us. I believe your resurrection has brought to us peace, love, favour, good health, forgiveness of our sins. Amen. Happy Easter to you all.

Please help me with anything
Zenith bank 2217206383.
God bless you.
Re: Happy Easter, 2020! by mayaks: 7:56am On Apr 12, 2020
May the Joy and the experience of this Easter be our portion in Jesus name.

Pls assist in the spirit of Easter for a brother in need. Nothing is too small. God Bless you

00.203. 27. 980
G/t/b
Re: Happy Easter, 2020! by Nobody: 7:57am On Apr 12, 2020
Ladycewhy:
RIP to her lovely soul.

Thank God say na blow you blow the kiss, Omo for this corona period so, we dey turn down handshake o grin grin grin, 2 meters away grin.

Happy Easter bro. Stay corona free.

grin
Stay safe
Re: Happy Easter, 2020! by priscaoge(f): 7:58am On Apr 12, 2020
May the Peace of the Lord which passeth all Understanding be with you and your family as you celebrate Easter

Happy Easter beautiful people!

Stay home and stay safe smiley smiley smiley

He is RISEN!!!!!
Re: Happy Easter, 2020! by Therapyken(m): 8:03am On Apr 12, 2020
Luke 24:31. Jesus disappeared from his disciples because after his resurrection he became a spirit. Physical bodies cannot disappear. Luke 24:39,40. Much like the angel whom Jacob wrestled with (Gen.32:24-29), or like those angels who married earthly women in Noah's day(Gen. 6:1:2), Jesus merely materialised in order to help his disciples truly recognise him .
Re: Happy Easter, 2020! by ArcAO: 8:14am On Apr 12, 2020
May the sacrifices of our Lord Jesus Christ protect you and keep us alive at this present situation, Amen. Happy Easter holiday.
Re: Happy Easter, 2020! by jahguide2268(m): 8:31am On Apr 12, 2020
Professorcplus:

When Jesus arose from the dead, what was his nature: a GHOST or a PHYSICAL BODY?

Using biblical accounts, he zoomed through the wall — that could never been a fleshly body.

He suddenly appeared to a certain duo of disciples — again, that must have been a ghost.

But Thomas touched his hands — that could never be a ghost: he was a physical body.

He had a meal with the disciples — that must have been a fleshly body as spirits don't eat physical meals. grin

And when he ascended into the skies, what happened to his garment? Pulverized? Or removed, folded and kept neatly in a ward robe
in the heavens to be worn again when he's returning in the second coming grin grin

If u believe in d afterlife, that is d kind of body u will inherit through him
Re: Happy Easter, 2020! by majamajic(m): 8:31am On Apr 12, 2020
skyhighweb:
did he type with ur hand?

Because they didn't ask u if u believe in Christ before u enter this thread , abi

Today is a holy day pls

1 Like

Re: Happy Easter, 2020! by LadyHeaven(f): 8:32am On Apr 12, 2020
Jesus the Savior is risen, on this blessed day I pray to God for His divine intervention and mercy on myself, my family & all Gods ppl, as Jesus Christ died and was risen today, may all our fears, doubt, illness, lack, sadness and unhappiness die and in it's stead may His peace, joy, good health, prosperity, happiness and favour rise in our lives. Amen...

Jesus, I trust in you, All I have is Yours, Yours I am, and Yours I want to be, Do with me whatever you will. cheesy grin grin Happy Easter NL Fam.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Happy Easter, 2020! by skyhighweb(m): 8:38am On Apr 12, 2020
majamajic:

Because they didn't ask u if u believe in Christ before u enter this thread , abi

Today is a holy day pls
not biz plzzz
Re: Happy Easter, 2020! by Therapyken(m): 9:01am On Apr 12, 2020
Easter is not a Christian celebration or holiday. Its origin is pagan. True Christians only observe the Lord's Evening Meal as Jesus commanded (luke 22:19, 1 cor 11:20-26).
Re: Happy Easter, 2020! by LivingSage: 9:14am On Apr 12, 2020
FACT ABOUT EASTER
Brent Landau, University of Texas in Austin writes

The reason for this variation is that Easter always falls on the first Sunday after the first full moon following the spring equinox.

I am a religious studies scholar specializing in early Christianity, and my research shows that this dating of Easter goes back to the complicated origins of this holiday and how it has evolved over the centuries.

Easter is quite similar to other major holidays like Christmas and Halloween, which have evolved over the last 200 years or so. In all of these holidays, Christian and non-Christian (pagan) elements have continued to blend together.
Easter as a rite of spring

Most major holidays have some connection to the changing of seasons. This is especially obvious in the case of Christmas. The New Testament gives no information about what time of year Jesus was born. Many scholars believe, however, that the main reason Jesus’ birth came to be celebrated on December 25 is because that was the date of the winter solstice according to the Roman calendar.

Since the days following the winter solstice gradually become longer and less dark, it was ideal symbolism for the birth of “the light of the world” as stated in the New Testament’s Gospel of John.

Similar was the case with Easter, which falls in close proximity to another key point in the solar year: the vernal equinox (around March 20), when there are equal periods of light and darkness. For those in northern latitudes, the coming of spring is often met with excitement, as it means an end to the cold days of winter.

Spring also means the coming back to life of plants and trees that have been dormant for winter, as well as the birth of new life in the animal world. Given the symbolism of new life and rebirth, it was only natural to celebrate the resurrection of Jesus at this time of the year.

The naming of the celebration as “Easter” seems to go back to the name of a pre-Christian goddess in England, Eostre, who was celebrated at beginning of spring. The only reference to this goddess comes from the writings of the Venerable Bede, a British monk who lived in the late seventh and early eighth century. As religious studies scholar Bruce Forbes summarizes:

“Bede wrote that the month in which English Christians were celebrating the resurrection of Jesus had been called Eosturmonath in Old English, referring to a goddess named Eostre. And even though Christians had begun affirming the Christian meaning of the celebration, they continued to use the name of the goddess to designate the season.”

Bede was so influential for later Christians that the name stuck, and hence Easter remains the name by which the English, Germans and Americans refer to the festival of Jesus’ resurrection.
The connection with Jewish Passover

It is important to point out that while the name “Easter” is used in the English-speaking world, many more cultures refer to it by terms best translated as “Passover” (for instance, “Pascha” in Greek) – a reference, indeed, to the Jewish festival of Passover.

In the Hebrew Bible, Passover is a festival that commemorates the liberation of the Jewish people from slavery in Egypt, as narrated in the Book of Exodus. It was and continues to be the most important Jewish seasonal festival, celebrated on the first full moon after the vernal equinox.

At the time of Jesus, Passover had special significance, as the Jewish people were again under the dominance of foreign powers (namely, the Romans). Jewish pilgrims streamed into Jerusalem every year in the hope that God’s chosen people (as they believed themselves to be) would soon be liberated once more.

On one Passover, Jesus traveled to Jerusalem with his disciples to celebrate the festival. He entered Jerusalem in a triumphal procession and created a disturbance in the Jerusalem Temple. It seems that both of these actions attracted the attention of the Romans, and that as a result Jesus was executed around the year A.D. 30.

Some of Jesus’ followers, however, believed that they saw him alive after his death, experiences that gave birth to the Christian religion. As Jesus died during the Passover festival and his followers believed he was resurrected from the dead three days later, it was logical to commemorate these events in close proximity.
Resurrection. Fr Lawrence Lew, O.P., CC BY-NC-ND

Some early Christians chose to celebrate the resurrection of Christ on the same date as the Jewish Passover, which fell around day 14 of the month of Nisan, in March or April. These Christians were known as Quartodecimans (the name means “Fourteeners”).

By choosing this date, they put the focus on when Jesus died and also emphasized continuity with the Judaism out of which Christianity emerged. Some others instead preferred to hold the festival on a Sunday, since that was when Jesus’ tomb was believed to have been found.

In A.D. 325, the Emperor Constantine, who favored Christianity, convened a meeting of Christian leaders to resolve important disputes at the Council of Nicaea. The most fateful of its decisions was about the status of Christ, whom the council recognized as “fully human and fully divine.” This council also resolved that Easter should be fixed on a Sunday, not on day 14 of Nisan. As a result, Easter is now celebrated on the first Sunday after the first full moon of the vernal equinox.
The Easter bunny and Easter eggs

In early America, the Easter festival was far more popular among Catholics than Protestants. For instance, the New England Puritans regarded both Easter and Christmas as too tainted by non-Christian influences to be appropriate to celebrate. Such festivals also tended to be opportunities for heavy drinking and merrymaking.

The fortunes of both holidays changed in the 19th century, when they became occasions to be spent with one’s family. This was done partly out of a desire to make the celebration of these holidays less rowdy.
Children on an egg hunt. Susan Bassett, CC BY-NC-ND

But Easter and Christmas also became reshaped as domestic holidays because understandings of children were changing. Prior to the 17th century, children were rarely the center of attention. As historian Stephen Nissenbaum writes,

“…children were lumped together with other members of the lower orders in general, especially servants and apprentices – who, not coincidentally, were generally young people themselves.”

From the 17th century onward, there was an increasing recognition of childhood as as time of life that should be joyous, not simply as preparatory for adulthood. This “discovery of childhood” and the doting upon children had profound effects on how Easter was celebrated.

It is at this point in the holiday’s development that Easter eggs and the Easter bunny become especially important. Decorated eggs had been part of the Easter festival at least since medieval times, given the obvious symbolism of new life. A vast amount of folklore surrounds Easter eggs, and in a number of Eastern European countries, the process of decorating them is extremely elaborate. Several Eastern European legends describe eggs turning red (a favorite color for Easter eggs) in connection with the events surrounding Jesus’ death and resurrection.

Yet it was only in the 17th century that a German tradition of an “Easter hare” bringing eggs to good children came to be known. Hares and rabbits had a long association with spring seasonal rituals because of their amazing powers of fertility.

When German immigrants settled in Pennsylvania in the 18th and 19th centuries, they brought this tradition with them. The wild hare also became supplanted by the more docile and domestic rabbit, in another indication of how the focus moved toward children.

As Christians celebrate the festival this spring in commemoration of Jesus’ resurrection, the familiar sights of the Easter bunny and Easter eggs serve as a reminder of the holiday’s very ancient origins outside of the Christian tradition.

This is an updated version of a piece published on March 21, 2018.
Re: Happy Easter, 2020! by donchynwoksgma(m): 9:18am On Apr 12, 2020
Professorcplus:

You don't believe in him so stop asking those questions
Re: Happy Easter, 2020! by Zammy123(m): 9:20am On Apr 12, 2020
Today is my birthday guys, shower me with likes please
and if u have a chance to drop something for me kindly do please , I would appreciate
3059238909 first bank
Re: Happy Easter, 2020! by Praxtech: 9:28am On Apr 12, 2020
adedayoa2:
Halleluyah!!!
Happy Easter to you sis.
Re: Happy Easter, 2020! by mumento007: 9:33am On Apr 12, 2020
Professorcplus:

Where were you years before you were conceived or formed? This is to tell you that some things aren't for our thoughts to comprehend, thus your little knowledge can't understand the ways of the Almighty God...Get to know Jesus intimately and you'll forever be glad you did
Re: Happy Easter, 2020! by bibianna(f): 9:38am On Apr 12, 2020
Happy Easter Sunday!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Jesus Said / God Made Him Gay? / The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.