Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,074 members, 7,818,207 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:19 AM

17-yr-old Refuses N2.8billions ($8M) Offer To Put Advert On Covid-19 Website - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / 17-yr-old Refuses N2.8billions ($8M) Offer To Put Advert On Covid-19 Website (979 Views)

13-yr-old Nigerian Emerges Youngest AWS Developer Associate In Africa / Advert On Smart Network / Run Advert On My 1.5million FB Group Members (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

17-yr-old Refuses N2.8billions ($8M) Offer To Put Advert On Covid-19 Website by cokerhope(m): 8:53am On Apr 12, 2020
While most high school students are steadily making their way through their respective Netflix queues or playing video games during their self-isolation, one 17-year-old is managing a website that is keeping millions updated on the worldwide spread of COVID-19.

Avi Schiffmann, a high school junior from Washington state, launched ncov2019.live on December 29th, when the Coronavirus was still predominantly relegated to mainland China. The website has since garnered over 100 million visitors.

Rex Chapman shared a video from Bloomberg’s QuickTake seriesfeaturing Schiffman and his amazing efforts:

This young man is Avi Schiffmann. He’s just 17. But he built a site that tracks Coronavirus numbers.

He was offered $8m to place ads on the site.

He turned it down. Not all heroes wear capes.�❤️pic.twitter.com/rinMT5N2Pn

— Rex Chapman�� (@RexChapman) April 7, 2020

“My goal is to make the site the best place for information about the coronavirus, with multiple methods of getting data,” Schiffmann told Geekwire. “When I first started I was viewing the whole epidemic as an outsider, and I never expected it to personally affect me,” he said, adding that the growing number of cases and deaths in the Seattle area are concerning.

Read Full Story on NaijaTechNews

https://www.naijatechnews.com/how-a-17-yr-old-refuses-8-million-offer-to-put-ads-on-covid-19-tracking-website/

Re: 17-yr-old Refuses N2.8billions ($8M) Offer To Put Advert On Covid-19 Website by donbachi(m): 8:57am On Apr 12, 2020
Him for take am as side hustle.
Re: 17-yr-old Refuses N2.8billions ($8M) Offer To Put Advert On Covid-19 Website by josh123(m): 8:59am On Apr 12, 2020
Damm holy shitt. No nigerian will reject that offer.
Re: 17-yr-old Refuses N2.8billions ($8M) Offer To Put Advert On Covid-19 Website by EzzyCarter: 8:59am On Apr 12, 2020
cheesy
Re: 17-yr-old Refuses N2.8billions ($8M) Offer To Put Advert On Covid-19 Website by Ahmed0336(m): 9:00am On Apr 12, 2020
donbachi:

You think say na everybody like money like you? undecided
Re: 17-yr-old Refuses N2.8billions ($8M) Offer To Put Advert On Covid-19 Website by daddytime(m): 9:02am On Apr 12, 2020
Na wa oooo

Money, truly isn't everything.
Re: 17-yr-old Refuses N2.8billions ($8M) Offer To Put Advert On Covid-19 Website by cokerhope(m): 9:03am On Apr 12, 2020
donbachi:

He said he does want such money, else he will not further is Secondary school again or the money won't let him learn further and such money will retire him and he is not ready to rretire @17.
Re: 17-yr-old Refuses N2.8billions ($8M) Offer To Put Advert On Covid-19 Website by ojun50(m): 9:05am On Apr 12, 2020
Ok ooooh
Re: 17-yr-old Refuses N2.8billions ($8M) Offer To Put Advert On Covid-19 Website by Bilabong(m): 9:06am On Apr 12, 2020
What heroic action did he take? Advert that u would just put one place and place a remove button for people that don't want to see it. One opportunity to blow u miss. Thank ur God that things are working fine in that country.

Re: 17-yr-old Refuses N2.8billions ($8M) Offer To Put Advert On Covid-19 Website by cokerhope(m): 9:07am On Apr 12, 2020
He rejected the offer in order not drop out of school and retire from learning.

Move to frontpage for young people to learnt that everything is not money, live first. He also don't wanna make money from people suffering .

@Lalasticlala move to front page
Re: 17-yr-old Refuses N2.8billions ($8M) Offer To Put Advert On Covid-19 Website by DanseMacabre(m): 9:11am On Apr 12, 2020
Nawa o. What is heroic about such a misstep

Dey there dey track COVIK ONE-NINE na.

Something's not adding up though: this guy's parents may be millionaires or something.

I dey find 10k to use buy foodstuff before this impending lockdown reach here, and one Jewish ozwor dey decline $8m.

angry angry
Re: 17-yr-old Refuses N2.8billions ($8M) Offer To Put Advert On Covid-19 Website by Humanoid01(m): 9:17am On Apr 12, 2020
DanseMacabre:
Nawa o. What is heroic about such a misstep

Dey there dey track COVIK ONE-NINE na.

Something's not adding up though: this guy's parents may be millionaires or something.

I dey find 10k to use buy foodstuff before this impending lockdown reach here, and one Jewish ozwor dey decline $8m.

angry angry
Go create your own website make them offer you your own na. Shuu! Na you get him declining spirit?

Re: 17-yr-old Refuses N2.8billions ($8M) Offer To Put Advert On Covid-19 Website by BlackboiNero(m): 9:34am On Apr 12, 2020
Humanoid01:

Go create your own website make them offer you your own na. Shuu! Na you get him declining spirit?
Abeg comot 4 there. If na you, you go reject am?
Re: 17-yr-old Refuses N2.8billions ($8M) Offer To Put Advert On Covid-19 Website by Humanoid01(m): 12:11pm On Apr 12, 2020
BlackboiNero:
Abeg comot 4 there. If na you, you go reject am?
Lol boss, na play I dey o. Who in his right senses in a country like Nigeria, especially under this lockdown, will receive an offer like that and reject it?
Re: 17-yr-old Refuses N2.8billions ($8M) Offer To Put Advert On Covid-19 Website by BlackboiNero(m): 1:21pm On Apr 12, 2020
Humanoid01:

Lol boss, na play I dey o. Who in his right senses in a country like Nigeria, especially under this lockdown, will receive an offer like that and reject it?
Shuo I for fear you o

(1) (Reply)

All Hail Tee-baba / Starting A Web Design Company In Nigeria / Domain Name Suggestion Tool

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.