Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,117 members, 7,818,334 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:03 PM

Guidelines Settling Down In Manitoba Canada - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Guidelines Settling Down In Manitoba Canada (3406 Views)

COVID-19: Imo State Transportation Guidelines / Lagos New Guidelines For Public Transport Operations / Brandon Manitoba (Canada) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Guidelines Settling Down In Manitoba Canada by bilulu(m): 3:07pm On Apr 15, 2020
A guideline for those planning to relocate to Manitoba, Canada.
First of all, your documentation is done at the point of entry, right there your PR papers are signed. This must be done before you leave the airport to your destination.
Secondly there are important documents you need to have to be able to function properly as a resident of Canada. I'll take them gradually. But before that, there is what is called "Manitoba start". It is a body that gives new comers orientation about the province. They can help you settle down as they can answer any of your questions or guide you. Also they give lectures on how to find jobs, they teach you how to write resume according to Canadian standard. It is not compulsory to attend the orientation classes.
Back to the neccessary documents. The first one is SIN (social insurance number). You can get this at your (POE) or any service Canada within your locality. Almost like BVN, everybody (PR, students, asylum seekers) must have this number for you to function except you don't want to operate bank accounts. Please don't share your SIN to anybody except your employer. Canadian government will never ask for it over the phone. Your whole savings will be gone the moment "those boys" get hold of it.
Also your health card. Remember health is almost free in Canada so you must acquire your health card the very week you arrive. It is advised that you must be with it at all times. Then make sure to get a family doctor. Most treatments are free but drugs ain't free. Their health doesn't cover eyes and dental. There are other stuff it doesn't cover but it does cover delivery.
Driver's license. I will like to beg, don't come to Manitoba without a driver's license except you don't want to drive for 2 years. It is legal to drive with your home license for 90 days only. You can register for your license at your pace but note that because of the weather everyone is encouraged to drive. Their screening consist of knowledge test and road test. Knowledge test is quite simple if you prepare well. For the road test, except you want to repeat it overtime please don't come with the mentality of "I have been driving since I was 10". Until I landed, I never knew what parallel parking was. Please note that your license is a criteria for most jobs. They will boldly state it. If you drink and want to drive please don't be caught because they can detect the slightest alcohol in your system. Don't beat the traffic especially the ones with camera, you will see your ticket at your doorstep the following day. Don't forget the government knows were everyone lives.
Job: Yea their are jobs. Most professional jobs require you to pass their professional exam before you can practice. Don't come with the mindset of I have been this or that, bros, they will tell you to write it. And until you pass, you won't practice.
Again to get some or better jobs, you will have to go back to school to either get their certificate or just a certification. Some doctors or engineers from other countries (not Nigeria) can spend 3-5 years without practicing just because they haven't passed the exam.
Mind you, there are jobs you can do that will survive you till you get your dream job. Please note that, you can also apply for jobs with certification or going back to school and you will get it. Also note that experience matters more than that paper you call certificate. It's all about what you can do. Did I mention you can do two jobs? Yes you can, it depends on your strength. Manitoba's minimum wage per house is $11.65. So no job pays below that and alot of jobs pay above that. A certified plumber can get upto $17 or more per hour.
Did I forget to talk about the weather? It can go as low as -50°c so please stop at Kontagora when coming to pick up bend down select winter jackets for about 2k and sweaters except you have enough to buy here. Average jackets can go for $200, you can get for $500 or even more so the choice is yours. Then get your winter boots and gloves.
I know there are alot I have forgotten so please feel free to add and also make the necessary corrections.

8 Likes

Re: Guidelines Settling Down In Manitoba Canada by Excess3code(m): 3:10pm On Apr 15, 2020
With all this Covid stories. Las las naija better my boss. FTC
Re: Guidelines Settling Down In Manitoba Canada by refugee: 3:18pm On Apr 15, 2020
Thanks for the info. I need to ask one or two personal questions from you..if possible, kindly contact me .08077444242
Re: Guidelines Settling Down In Manitoba Canada by firo08(m): 3:19pm On Apr 15, 2020
Canada my dream country.
But financially stranded.
Re: Guidelines Settling Down In Manitoba Canada by bilulu(m): 3:19pm On Apr 15, 2020
Excess3code:
With all this Covid stories. Las las naija better my boss. FTC
I'm not telling you to migrate boss.

5 Likes

Re: Guidelines Settling Down In Manitoba Canada by oshadaves(m): 3:23pm On Apr 15, 2020
Pls I need to find out sometins from u boss dis is my nos 07036860297
Re: Guidelines Settling Down In Manitoba Canada by igbarasdynasty: 3:27pm On Apr 15, 2020
Bless you OP.....you are a good man

1 Like

Re: Guidelines Settling Down In Manitoba Canada by bilulu(m): 3:27pm On Apr 15, 2020
igbarasdynasty:
Bless you OP.....you are a good man
Thanks
Re: Guidelines Settling Down In Manitoba Canada by bilulu(m): 7:02pm On Apr 15, 2020
firo08:
Canada my dream country.
But financially stranded.
God will see you tru
Re: Guidelines Settling Down In Manitoba Canada by firo08(m): 7:12pm On Apr 15, 2020
bilulu:

God will see you tru
Amen
Re: Guidelines Settling Down In Manitoba Canada by bilulu(m): 1:27pm On Apr 17, 2020
Would have love to write about the processes involved in getting PR but I don't know if anyone will be interested.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Guidelines Settling Down In Manitoba Canada by obajoey(m): 3:32pm On Apr 17, 2020
bilulu:
Would have love to write about the processes involved in getting PR but I don't know if anyone will be interested.

Please we are all interested oo, sometimes it is lack of right information that get people stucked.

Pls share sir.
Re: Guidelines Settling Down In Manitoba Canada by Chrisdada16(f): 3:48pm On Apr 17, 2020
bilulu:

Hi please i sent u a message.. i need to ask few things from u.thanks
Re: Guidelines Settling Down In Manitoba Canada by rali123(f): 6:28pm On Apr 17, 2020
bilulu:

Please do share, I am interested and I think a lot of people would love to know too.

1 Like

Re: Guidelines Settling Down In Manitoba Canada by Dralin(m): 5:04pm On Apr 18, 2020
[quote author=bilulu post=88541218]Would have love to write about the processes involved in getting PR but [i]I don't know if anyone will be interested[i]

PLS WE'RE WAITING
Re: Guidelines Settling Down In Manitoba Canada by hodari: 2:25am On Apr 19, 2020
bilulu:
A guideline for those planning to relocate to Manitoba, Canada.
First of all, your documentation is done at the point of entry, right there your PR papers are signed. This must be done before you leave the airport to your destination.
Secondly there are important documents you need to have to be able to function properly as a resident of Canada. I'll take them gradually. But before that, there is what is called "Manitoba start". It is a body that gives new comers orientation about the province. They can help you settle down as they can answer any of your questions or guide you. Also they give lectures on how to find jobs, they teach you how to write resume according to Canadian standard. It is not compulsory to attend the orientation classes.
Back to the neccessary documents. The first one is SIN (social insurance number). You can get this at your (POE) or any service Canada within your locality. Almost like BVN, everybody (PR, students, asylum seekers) must have this number for you to function except you don't want to operate bank accounts. Please don't share your SIN to anybody except your employer. Canadian government will never ask for it over the phone. Your whole savings will be gone the moment "those boys" get hold of it.
Also your health card. Remember health is almost free in Canada so you must acquire your health card the very week you arrive. It is advised that you must be with it at all times. Then make sure to get a family doctor. Most treatments are free but drugs ain't free. Their health doesn't cover eyes and dental. There are other stuff it doesn't cover but it does cover delivery.
Driver's license. I will like to beg, don't come to Manitoba without a driver's license except you don't want to drive for 2 years. It is legal to drive with your home license for 90 days only. You can register for your license at your pace but note that because of the weather everyone is encouraged to drive. Their screening consist of knowledge test and road test. Knowledge test is quite simple if you prepare well. For the road test, except you want to repeat it overtime please don't come with the mentality of "I have been driving since I was 10". Until I landed, I never knew what parallel parking was. Please note that your license is a criteria for most jobs. They will boldly state it. If you drink and want to drive please don't be caught because they can detect the slightest alcohol in your system. Don't beat the traffic especially the ones with camera, you will see your ticket at your doorstep the following day. Don't forget the government knows were everyone lives.
Job: Yea their are jobs. Most professional jobs require you to pass their professional exam before you can practice. Don't come with the mindset of I have been this or that, bros, they will tell you to write it. And until you pass, you won't practice.
Again to get some or better jobs, you will have to go back to school to either get their certificate or just a certification. Some doctors or engineers from other countries (not Nigeria) can spend 3-5 years without practicing just because they haven't passed the exam.
Mind you, there are jobs you can do that will survive you till you get your dream job. Please note that, you can also apply for jobs with certification or going back to school and you will get it. Also note that experience matters more than that paper you call certificate. It's all about what you can do. Did I mention you can do two jobs? Yes you can, it depends on your strength. Manitoba's minimum wage per house is $11.65. So no job pays below that and alot of jobs pay above that. A certified plumber can get upto $17 or more per hour.
Did I forget to talk about the weather? It can go as low as -50°c so please stop at Kontagora when coming to pick up bend down select winter jackets for about 2k and sweaters except you have enough to buy here. Average jackets can go for $200, you can get for $500 or even more so the choice is yours. Then get your winter boots and gloves.
I know there are alot I have forgotten so please feel free to add and also make the necessary corrections.

Warning: Manitoba and most of the Prairie provinces are extremely cold and job opportunities may be hard to come by. Even once booming Alberta don cast.

It's better to try Toronto (Ontario), Montreal (Quebec) or Vancouver (British Columbia).

1 Like

Re: Guidelines Settling Down In Manitoba Canada by bilulu(m): 5:26am On Apr 19, 2020
hodari:

Warning: Manitoba and most of the Prairie provinces are extremely cold and job opportunities may be hard to come by. Even once booming Alberta don cast.

It's better to try Toronto (Ontario), Montreal (Quebec) or Vancouver (British Columbia).
Thanks for your contribution. Alberta is a province that goes with the flow of oil price. Like now that oil price is low the province will be unattractive but once oil is booming the the city will be booming. I don't really list BC for new comers because of it's expensive nature. Housing and the rest. There are reports of people not being able to rent an apartment even when they have good jobs, thereby sleeping in cars and other places so listing such place for a new comer who probably isn't too buoyant is not a good idea. Yea Ontario another nice province with booming economy and lifestyle. But you still see people leave the city for Manitoba and other provinces. So what work for A might not work for B. I have a colleague from Benin who moved from Toronto down to Winnipeg because it's now believed it's easier getting papers from Manitoba because Toronto don cast.
Going through my post you would see I talked about Manitoba weather going as low as -50°c. It's very cold but people are still living there. Also they run more immigration programs compare to other provinces so sometimes it's easier coming to Canada through Manitoba. Manitoba economy doesn't really fluctuate like others. I talked about Manitoba also because that's were I am more conversant with.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Guidelines Settling Down In Manitoba Canada by Nobody: 6:45am On Apr 19, 2020
hodari:

true bro. Alberta manitoba them no be am

1 Like

Re: Guidelines Settling Down In Manitoba Canada by bilulu(m): 7:49am On Apr 19, 2020
Kekereekun123:
true bro. Alberta manitoba them no be am
Which of the provinces do you suggest and also have a more friendly immigration process?
Re: Guidelines Settling Down In Manitoba Canada by Nobody: 8:02am On Apr 19, 2020
bilulu:

Which of the provinces do you suggest and also have a more friendly immigration process?
friendly process in what sense Apply for federal express enter na. Better to go to ontario first and maybe move later.
Re: Guidelines Settling Down In Manitoba Canada by bilulu(m): 8:14am On Apr 19, 2020
Kekereekun123:
friendly process in what sense Apply for federal express enter na. Better to go to ontario first and maybe move later.
Yea I understand everybody wants to move to Toronto to be precise cuz it's one of the cities that's really attractive in Ontario. Even Ottata the Canadian capital isn't that famous. Not everyone can meet the federal program bro, that's while alot are still stock back home. Ontario don't run PNP and other programs like Manitoba and Saskatchewan. Relocation in Canada isn't easy bro, not like Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Guidelines Settling Down In Manitoba Canada by Nobody: 8:22am On Apr 19, 2020
bilulu:

Yea I understand everybody wants to move to Toronto to be precise cuz it's one of the cities that's really attractive in Ontario. Even Ottata the Canadian capital isn't that famous. Not everyone can meet the federal program bro, that's while alot are still stock back home. Ontario don't run PNP and other programs like Manitoba and Saskatchewan. Relocation in Canada isn't easy bro, not like Nigeria
manitoba pnp using relative points have been paused since july 2019 saskatchewan your occupation has to be in demand, your degrees have to match, you need q masters and 9 years experience to be able to score 68 or more in sask grid. Ontario has a pnp and they chose from pool in 2018 it used to be 400 crs and above. Today it is in the 460s. Nothing in canada is easy any more due to the competition .

1 Like

Re: Guidelines Settling Down In Manitoba Canada by bilulu(m): 8:36am On Apr 19, 2020
Kekereekun123:
manitoba pnp using relative points have been paused since july 2019 saskatchewan your occupation has to be in demand, your degrees have to match, you need q masters and 9 years experience to be able to score 68 or more in sask grid. Ontario has a pnp and they chose from pool in 2018 it used to be 400 crs and above. Today it is in the 460s. Nothing in canada is easy any more due to the competition .
Yea I you re right but now Saskatchewan is the easiest now, I don't think you need upto 9 years experience, what's making that difficult is still because of close relative just like Manitoba. Yea Manitoba suspended the the overseas stream since 2018 but kept running another program were you will have a close relative in one of their rural area to get extra points but for some reason they haven't released names on that stream but keep releasing names on a particular street. Which I am still studying. Coming to Manitoba was way easier because of the different programs. No thanks to this their present premier who's party don't want immigrants.
Re: Guidelines Settling Down In Manitoba Canada by Nobody: 8:59am On Apr 19, 2020
bilulu:

Yea I you re right but now Saskatchewan is the easiest now, I don't think you need upto 9 years experience, what's making that difficult is still because of close relative just like Manitoba. Yea Manitoba suspended the the overseas stream since 2018 but kept running another program were you will have a close relative in one of their rural area to get extra points but for some reason they haven't released names on that stream but keep releasing names on a particular street. Which I am still studying. Coming to Manitoba was way easier because of the different programs. No thanks to this their present premier who's party don't want immigrants.
unless you have a relative in sask which is 20 points. With 9 years experience and a masters you can score 68 69 on sinp grid. Its not easy

1 Like

Re: Guidelines Settling Down In Manitoba Canada by bilulu(m): 9:08am On Apr 19, 2020
Kekereekun123:
unless you have a relative in sask which is 20 points. With 9 years experience and a masters you can score 68 69 on sinp grid. Its not easy
9 years? I'm skeptical about that because even the federal program do not request for 9 years why would a province be requesting for 9 years? Also I knew someone who wanted to use that link, he someone wanted to sponsor him and he was qualified without masters but the sponsor later turned down because his cousin signified interest.
Re: Guidelines Settling Down In Manitoba Canada by Nobody: 9:12am On Apr 19, 2020
bilulu:

9 years? I'm skeptical about that because even the federal program do not request for 9 years why would a province be requesting for 9 years? Also I knew someone who wanted to use that link, he someone wanted to sponsor him and he was qualified without masters but the sponsor later turned down because his cousin signified interest.
yes if you have a relative one year experience is ok. See the scores grid 60 is official cut off. But the draws since last year have been 68 69 and above. Without 9 years experience and no relative one cant reach that scores. https://www.saskatchewan.ca/residents/moving-to-saskatchewan/immigrating-to-saskatchewan/saskatchewan-immigrant-nominee-program/applicants-international-skilled-workers/assess-your-eligibility
Re: Guidelines Settling Down In Manitoba Canada by bilulu(m): 9:42am On Apr 19, 2020
Kekereekun123:
yes if you have a relative one year experience is ok. See the scores grid 60 is official cut off. But the draws since last year have been 68 69 and above. Without 9 years experience and no relative one cant reach that scores. https://www.saskatchewan.ca/residents/moving-to-saskatchewan/immigrating-to-saskatchewan/saskatchewan-immigrant-nominee-program/applicants-international-skilled-workers/assess-your-eligibility
I understand were you are coming from now, the 9 years and master come in place when you don't have a close relative. I'll study this link well. Thanks. Are you in Ontario?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Guidelines Settling Down In Manitoba Canada by gsekwe: 8:48pm On Apr 26, 2020
Pls u mean no pnp now in Manitoba,and if there is,pls can I get someone I can pay to nominate me pls
Re: Guidelines Settling Down In Manitoba Canada by Apokalipto: 12:08am On Jun 08, 2020
Hello there.
Many thanks to the admins for setting up this thread. Is the thread still active though? I have a few questions to ask....
Re: Guidelines Settling Down In Manitoba Canada by Apokalipto: 12:16am On Jun 08, 2020
So in case the thread is active, @bilulu I'm a FSW applicant and I got PPR just before the covid19 lockdown. Now, in anticipation of the lock down being lifted, I am a bit double-minded about what province to settle.
What can you say based on your experience about Jobs in Manitoba? For, say Banking, Law, IT and natural sciences? Thank you for your assistance. I'm also interested to know about the cost of living over there compared to other provinces.......
Re: Guidelines Settling Down In Manitoba Canada by okikiosibodu(m): 8:12am On Feb 15, 2023
Nice thread

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerian Man With Valid US Visa Arrested At JFK Airport In New York / Abijan Travellers Let Us Reason Together / I Need Direction To Agbara Market In Lagos State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.