Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,456 members, 7,816,061 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:39 AM

Who Is To Be Blame For Student's Poor Performance? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Who Is To Be Blame For Student's Poor Performance? (52191 Views)

Apply: Ooni’s Scholarship Award For Student Of Ile-ife Origin / Four Finalists Emerge For Pat Utomi Prize For Student Debate / Photos: Nigerian Students Protest Against INEC’s Poor Performance (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Is To Be Blame For Student's Poor Performance? by JeSoul(f): 6:46pm On Jan 05, 2011
VALIDATOR:

[b]The kids are not performing well because they are intelligent enough to see that those who performed well yesterday are not recognized by the society today.[/b] Rather the society recognizes and respects those who made lots of money by hook or crook.

Honestly speaking, which do Nigerians respect more?A Local Government Chairman (who may have less than 5 credits at O Level) or a Professor? The kids are smart.They can see it and that reduces their zeal for academic pursuit.
 I was waiting for someone to make that very important point in addition to the others.

While this does not exonerate the students or school management from their respective crimes, what motivation is there for the average youth to want to go to school, apply him/herself, study hard, excel at exams - when you know unemployment is waiting for you with your 1st class degree?

For the most part, the Nigerian system does not reward or recognize academic acheivement borne from hard work - and we're seeing the result reflected all around us.
Re: Who Is To Be Blame For Student's Poor Performance? by Amjustme: 6:54pm On Jan 05, 2011
I blame the students, the teachers, the government and the parents.
Every party has a hand in the failure.
Re: Who Is To Be Blame For Student's Poor Performance? by queensmith: 7:04pm On Jan 05, 2011
Maybe the examinations are too difficult? they should be examining students according to national averages not just setting difficult questions and expecting them to pass! sheesh
Re: Who Is To Be Blame For Student's Poor Performance? by zutu(m): 7:21pm On Jan 05, 2011
Nigeria is 2 be blame
Re: Who Is To Be Blame For Student's Poor Performance? by Nobody: 7:40pm On Jan 05, 2011
queensmith:

Maybe the examinations are too difficult? they should be examining students according to national averages not just setting difficult questions and expecting them to pass! sheesh
Maybe they are delibrately set so. It is a fair point as really even a 20% pass rate is more than enough to fill the availablle slots in universities.
Re: Who Is To Be Blame For Student's Poor Performance? by queensmith: 7:49pm On Jan 05, 2011
tensor777:

Maybe they are delibrately set so. It is a fair point as really even a 20% pass rate is more than enough to fill the availablle slots in universities.

For your information university is not the way truth and light, its has absolutely nothing to do with o'levels, there is a level of knowledge everyone is expected to have and thats why we have o level examinations. they are used to work, they are used as proof of basic knowledge and they are also used to gain entrance to all sorts of education not just university!

so regardless of the 20% that pass, averages should be considered so it is at least known that the holder knows as much as every other average student in the country.
Re: Who Is To Be Blame For Student's Poor Performance? by princebonny: 7:57pm On Jan 05, 2011
THE NIGERIAN EDUCATIONAL SYSTEM IS SPEEDILY  DECLINING AND I THINK
EVERY BODY SHOULD DO SOMETHING .
WE SHOULD FIX THE PROBLEM AND NOT THE BLAME
BUT IF U ASK ME I WILL SAY
THE STUDENTS ,GOVERNMENT AND TEACHERS ARE TO BE BLAME FOR STUDENTS POOR PERFORMANCE.
WE CAN STILL RESTORE THE DIGNITY AND PRIDE OF EDUCATION IN NIGERIA

Re: Who Is To Be Blame For Student's Poor Performance? by jerryben12: 8:06pm On Jan 05, 2011
The students are to be blamed. Study, study and study is the key!
Re: Who Is To Be Blame For Student's Poor Performance? by mamagee3(f): 8:08pm On Jan 05, 2011
No one is to be blamed.

The students alone are the ones responsible for their failing.
Re: Who Is To Be Blame For Student's Poor Performance? by otumfour(m): 8:35pm On Jan 05, 2011
mindthing:

@Emmyk: Simply put, considering the abysmal grammatical attempt you just made (and it was the first post too!) im damn glad you didnt get that Credit, cos that would have shamed our already ludicrous grading system beyond measure. You need more tutelage from your dad, dude, hehe

Now to the issue, it is obviously the students' fault. Not blackberry. Not EPL. And definitely not the examination bodies. This is merely a matter of standards and reasoning, and a good pointer is that not only Nigerian students take these exams, but they put up the most dismal performances. Nigerian students should read more and sleep/play less. End of story.

ajetii:

haha!
He is only a student who just failed an examination. Don´t be too hard on him. grin grin grin

clmao! grin grin
Re: Who Is To Be Blame For Student's Poor Performance? by Nobody: 8:50pm On Jan 05, 2011
queensmith:

For your information university is not the way truth and light, its has absolutely nothing to do with o'levels, there is a level of knowledge everyone is expected to have and thats why we have o level examinations. they are used to work, they are used as proof of basic knowledge and they are also used to gain entrance to all sorts of education not just university!

so regardless of the 20% that pass, averages should be considered so it is at least known that the holder knows as much as every other average student in the country.
Such passion. cheesy
You say they are used 1) to work, they are used as 2)proof of basic knowledge and are used to 3)gain admission to all sorts of colleges . Which is true.
No doubt those who have attempted the exams ansd secured at least a pass are entitled to an embossed certificate detailing their results.
However in the grand scheme of things only the last point you mentioned is truly of lasting relevance in the Nigerian context.
Look at the certificate as giving the bearer the passport so to say to continue his training and education.
Those who don't take up this option would just have to fall into the labour market. Hopefully at least they would have acquired some basic literacy and numeracy skills that would enable them to negotiate that market.
Re: Who Is To Be Blame For Student's Poor Performance? by Nobody: 8:58pm On Jan 05, 2011
epl, champions league, la liga, soccer fanaticism, bookface or facebook, yahoo yahoo, internet, fbt, blackberry, alcohol, money, clubbing, timaya, gra gra ''Naija'' music, no time 4 a little studying, etc
Re: Who Is To Be Blame For Student's Poor Performance? by Emmyk(m): 10:15pm On Jan 05, 2011
Emmyk:

The Organisation - how can they say 80 % failed WAEC GCE ? groovy coaching from him, he show s me the mistakes/errors students often make.   
how about that? Maybe I typed that at the highest stage of Infuriation Tell me ur English is better while u were my age. Piss out! !
Re: Who Is To Be Blame For Student's Poor Performance? by sulad82i(m): 10:37pm On Jan 05, 2011
twumie:

Hello Nairalanders,
The rate at which school students fail in there exams is tremendously high. Who do you think we could blame for their poor performance? In WAEC, NECO and JAMB

Geez, from the poster wrote self I tire.

English is not our "major language" just as an excuse, I know undecided undecided
but poster u failed in the tiny bit of of ur 2 sentences u wrote.

Emmyk:

he Organisation - how could 80 % failed WAEC GCE Huh
I'm a victim of dat they gimme D7 in English, I needed it most for my admission. My dad has been marking waec/neco exams since 1993 (he was one of the best eng teachers thomas adewumi college oko ever had). He tuitored me groovy. I was suprised when the result was out. Cos he showed me mistakes/error students made. And how to pass the igzams. F u c k 'em

and hemmmm, emmyk, if this is what your dad corrected you to construct. . . then I'll say he's just getting paid for nothing cos u did not represent him well
Re: Who Is To Be Blame For Student's Poor Performance? by ruthdy: 10:44pm On Jan 05, 2011
pastor my name is ruthdy i live in ireland an i want u to pray for me an my education pastor i have seen how u pray for ppl an they gt heal; see how u preach the word of god to the ppl with joy an life in u. pastor i want u to pray for me as iam going bk to school on the 10 of january so that i can start well  in school with fresh brain ready to study pastor i want u to pray for me to do well in my exam this second term an third term pastor plz
Re: Who Is To Be Blame For Student's Poor Performance? by sulad82i(m): 10:50pm On Jan 05, 2011
ruthdy:

pastor my name is ruthdy i live in ireland an i want u to pray for me an my education pastor i have seen how u pray for ppl an they gt heal; see how u preach the word of god to the ppl with joy an life in u. pastor i want u to pray for me as iam going bk to school on the 10 of january so that i can start well  in school with fresh brain ready to study pastor i want u to pray for me to do well in my exam this second term an third term pastor plz

LOL is this how u get ready for waec?
Re: Who Is To Be Blame For Student's Poor Performance? by jobd: 11:03pm On Jan 05, 2011
European football,video games,movies,facebook,2go name it,are all that are contributing to the massive failure in exams.
Re: Who Is To Be Blame For Student's Poor Performance? by ARareGem(f): 11:08pm On Jan 05, 2011
As far as I'm concerned, it's the fault of the school departments, the teachers and the govt.

For heaven's sake, TOO MANY STRIKES!.
When I was writing my external exams, it wasn't easy to prepare for it. I mean JSS scheme of work was hardly completed and SSS's was cut short because "there is no time" as a result of long strikes.
All the teachers tell u is "read this, read that, study this, research that".

Are students supposd to have two brains?

What's the point of cramming stuff to pass in flying colours? Though I had a good result(WAEC & NECO), I know I could have learnt more to prepare myself better for the tertiary institution.

It's embarrasing when you compare Nigerian students with students abroad.

But I must say, some students are just plain lazy sha.
Re: Who Is To Be Blame For Student's Poor Performance? by ARareGem(f): 11:12pm On Jan 05, 2011
ruthdy:

Guy, try go read o! God nor go drop answer from heaven. smiley
Re: Who Is To Be Blame For Student's Poor Performance? by sulad82i(m): 11:30pm On Jan 05, 2011
ARareGem:

As far as I'm concerned, it's the fault of the school departments, the teachers and the govt.

For heaven's sake, TOO MANY STRIKES!.
When I was writing my external exams, it wasn't easy to prepare for it. I mean JSS scheme of work was hardly completed and SSS's was cut short because "there is no time" as a result of long strikes.
All the teachers tell u is "read this, read that, study this, research that".

Are students supposd to have two brains?

What's the point of cramming stuff to pass in flying colours? Though I had a good result(WAEC & NECO), I know I could have learnt more to prepare myself better for the tertiary institution.

It's embarrasing when you compare Nigerian students with students abroad.

But I must say, some students are just plain lazy sha.

This is a very good point and I think its one of the reason many students fail year after year.
The built-in system of Nigerian education is bad in all respect. Its virtually impossible for a bad and or unmotivated teacher to produce a good student. Also, the "general way" a typical Nigerian student studies is not the best either. I remember having to cram word for word what was written in notes or text books when getting ready for exams. After the exam, I can barely remember anything from what I studied to write exams which I sometimes have A's or B's.
Re: Who Is To Be Blame For Student's Poor Performance? by jude33084(m): 11:45pm On Jan 05, 2011
it is us, ourselves and body we will blame wink
Re: Who Is To Be Blame For Student's Poor Performance? by tnthommie(m): 12:26am On Jan 06, 2011
Too much of facebook,twitter,and lately 2go makes reading uninteresting. grin
Re: Who Is To Be Blame For Student's Poor Performance? by Nobody: 12:34am On Jan 06, 2011
YOU as a person, should be blame for not doing well.
Re: Who Is To Be Blame For Student's Poor Performance? by ovo4u(m): 1:20am On Jan 06, 2011
mama-gee:

No one is to be blamed.

The students alone are the ones responsible for their failing.

^^^^^

I disagree to agree with you on that line there my dear,i think the students are not to be blame even thought some have being influence by the corrupt system which make so many of them to depend on the cheating because there is this saying that goes '' If you can't be them you join them'' even our parent believed in this saying that they even have to help their kids to steal on Examination day.I have being there and i still remember when i first wrote my first Waec in the year 2005, i hardly sleep at night and i used to burn candles most of all the night and just to make sure i can make my papers without no cheating or anyone helps,because i have promised myself then that i want to do this alone and really i stand by my grand even when things were happening in the hall where we were writing the Exam.

I don't even have time for myself those time just because i want to study all the time to pass my papers but at the end i got only 2 credit and that was Maths. and Chem. honestly the education system in Nigeria is the worst system compare to what am seeing here in German.So am on the side of the students who fail that they are not to be blame but the Educational System, there are so many things to work on in that sick Country,do you guys think that 20% that pass WAEC or NECO are fair with their selves and didn't cheat? i think if there are no cheating at all, i think the percent will decrease to about 2% that will pass the normal exam because the Education system in Nigeria is worst and Bad and our Leaders are not doing anything about it,all they want to do is pump some Billions in that sectors for some group of people to share and then he will say i am working on the Educational sector, I want to stop here because am getting upset anytime i want to write about Nigeria Leaders.
Re: Who Is To Be Blame For Student's Poor Performance? by lilrukevwe(m): 2:38am On Jan 06, 2011
Alot of issues are paramount in the reasons why student tend to fail their exams but parents tend to look outwardly rather than inwardly.Blackberry,Facebook,twitter,Epl are not the main cause why student fail the main cause is English language.
Some would be why English why not Maths or some other subjects,But the truth be told all the examination questions are written in english language and not Japanese or chinese.So if a child understands a question and is noty creative enough then he has little or less to show for it.Like the writer above he/she should be PROUDLY ashamed because he has the arsenal at home but failed to deploy the weapons on the D-day.
Alot can be learnt from twitter and facebooking if only our youths would put their mind to learning.
Re: Who Is To Be Blame For Student's Poor Performance? by fafie02: 2:53am On Jan 06, 2011
An illiterate Government: For deplorable state of facilities at all educational levels as well as "take home pays that fail to take the teachers home" lipsrsealed
Some Misplaced Teachers: For lack of passion for the job,scarcely updated knowledge and zero drive to ensure success by merit unlike what we had in years past
Some Irresponsible Parents: For lack of attention to academic and mental development of their wards as well as loss of values as some even "assist their wards"
Students: A simple outcome of the combination of two or three of the above leaves them asking why or how.

Examination bodies: Thank you for upholding standards, enabling the clarity of the true picture.
Re: Who Is To Be Blame For Student's Poor Performance? by Nobody: 4:18am On Jan 06, 2011
Hmmm, only an insider can show the true colour of the situation. I can say this anywhere, the 20% that passed CHEATED! Devoid of aforementioned, 100% would fail WOEFULLY!

Now, how many of the set questions were actually taught in class? Were the scripts marked accordingly by the hungry but desperate examiners? Is the time allotted for marking huge piles of scripts sufficient? And so on.
Thank God for private schools but are they really delivering the way they ought to? It's OK and alright to put the blame on Internet and Media but everything boils down to our corrupt leadership system. I doubt if the building would be shaky provided the foundation isn't faulty; and the foundation here is our leaders. When they talk, they always refer to their own time but they failed and still fails to pass unto the younger generation what they were taught, instead, they concentrated and still concentrates on themselves. I can go on and on but 'sitting our big fat a$s here, shouting hell around the forum' won't change anything unless deliberate and drastic efforts are made at all levels of government and building blocks of the society to correct the anomaly else, the situation will go from bad to worst and if care is not been taken, 'worstest'.
Re: Who Is To Be Blame For Student's Poor Performance? by drious(m): 4:26am On Jan 06, 2011
^^^^ ive not yet written waec but will this year ,if i pass good for me if not for shizzee ss3 i will pass,i sha experienced grin

Kk, students of now adays
1) read only a week b4 exams or 2 weeks b4 exams, and when they do read they go to dstv guides planning which show theyll watch and wats not
2) its mainly the guys cause theyve gat things on their mind far away from books like dating gals(this gals always read cause thier jobless and always bored,lol no offense to gals ),football matches(i believe this last waec low scores were due to the worldcup),and when teachers talk about making good use of your life and becoming something in future they think bout music,start to rap,business,e.t.c(just technical jobs),but you cant blame them see the rich peeps we here about now ,dangote,musicians,adenuga,e.t.c how many bankers or accountants have you heard about that spent close to 50milla on their childs wedding and end up in the news without efcc attached?
3)Technology improves and it has to continue,the students try to exploit it,internet,social networks like fb,twitter,lol nairaland,games(a student can spend 2huns a day to play p.s at a nearby gaming center but cant use that to buy a mathematical set to enable his constructions be accurate so he can pass wella
4)Ignorance to little things in the exam hall,like having complete instruments,reading instructions,avoiding exam malpractice,even an answer dat they know,""theyll ask, just to be sure"" and who no wan pass,that student will give the other student a wrong answer just in case and some students will quickly catch the drift of the deceiver and swear for him/her while some will write the wrong answer and thank the deceiver at the end of the exams,hehehe  grin

Drious.X.Scorpes
Re: Who Is To Be Blame For Student's Poor Performance? by otokx(m): 4:58am On Jan 06, 2011
Parents
Re: Who Is To Be Blame For Student's Poor Performance? by Nobody: 6:33am On Jan 06, 2011
the truth is this:
1. the present day students: 80-90 percent of the students we have in our country are too lazy. In the past, students studied widely and relentlessly (exmin period or no exam period) they studied indepth; as time passed they stopped studying and started reading towards examination periods now later they changed from that method to the cramming method. As at present, the students don't even do any of those things. What they now do includes: visiting of online social network sites eg Facebook, twitter etc playing games and/or watching TV or home movies, irrelevant visiting of friends and roaming the city or strolling irresponsibly even late at night, attending clubs and other irrelevant social gathering, going around looking for/having boyfriends, girlfriends, sexmates etc
2. the present day school: most schools especially the private and the LEA schools don't have adequate qualified teaching force. the few teachers available do almost nothing but sit in their staff rooms to gossip and eat all sorts of snacks they send the students to buy from the commercial area thus distracting the students. Besides, most private and LEA schools are culprits of exam malpractice. 'They now brand themselves as special exam centres' and provide evil services such as expo, mercenaries/machineries (or what ever they might call it), smuggling of exam sheets outside exam venue, bribery.
3. present day parents: they are too pre-occupied with other activities so much so that they've lost interest in evaluating their children. My brethren tell me how callous can a parent be when he don't ask about the daily plan/goal of his/her children or wards,and when their children comes back from school no question is asked about their academic performance.
4. other societal forms of distraction eg ethno-religious and political violence before during and after elections, poverty, corruption, personal problems such as illness and many more.
Re: Who Is To Be Blame For Student's Poor Performance? by LASIEFAIRE(m): 7:06am On Jan 06, 2011
I blame the system
I blame the teacher
I blame the society
I blame the media

I am not amazed that the failing rate is 80 percent. As I think back to my high school days, I can think of numerous times the system, teachers and the society failed me. I bet that 98 percent of the people that passed attend a private and expensive school. This is a true story. I remember my Fine Art teacher asking students to buy her 7UP five times during the term to get a B (I was in J.S.S 3) or my government teacher who would sleep with female students to give them a passing grade. It's no coincidence that the subjects that I am good at are the ones in which I had disciplined and dedicated teachers who cared enough about me and other students to teach us. I can also remember countless times when teacher gave out expos for a piece of change. Our Economics syllabus was nothing like that of WAEC. We did not complete the syllabus for biology. We were so far behind. And thanks goes to Mrs. Ozono who did everything she could to prepare us for WAEC, everyone would have failed. The System is a failure. It is so one dimensional. And the society does not reward uprightness, discipline and achievements.

And lastly I blame the student who want to adopt everything they hear on radio and see on TV.

And all these people saying students of nowadays are not facing the facts. Students of nowadays are smart, informed and intelligent.
Re: Who Is To Be Blame For Student's Poor Performance? by Omo9ja3(m): 7:20am On Jan 06, 2011
too much punnany is to blamed for mine [color=#990000][/color] grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Meet First Class Graduate Of OAU And 7 Times ICAN Prize Winner – / Police Arrest 3 Dowen School Students Over Sylvester Oromoni’s Death / Professor Richard Akindele Jailed Over OAU Sex For Marks (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.