Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,366 members, 7,815,783 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:14 PM

Who Is To Be Blame For Student's Poor Performance? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Who Is To Be Blame For Student's Poor Performance? (52183 Views)

Apply: Ooni’s Scholarship Award For Student Of Ile-ife Origin / Four Finalists Emerge For Pat Utomi Prize For Student Debate / Photos: Nigerian Students Protest Against INEC’s Poor Performance (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Is To Be Blame For Student's Poor Performance? by roymary: 8:05am On Jan 06, 2011
Blame it on Bad Educational system, bad infrastructures, Corruption, Poor Parental Guidance, Internet Social Networks and Sex.
Re: Who Is To Be Blame For Student's Poor Performance? by olaeday(m): 8:07am On Jan 06, 2011
Who be parents, who be teachers, who be examiners, who be markers and, who be government, ? They are all mad
Re: Who Is To Be Blame For Student's Poor Performance? by jokingmary(m): 9:00am On Jan 06, 2011
link=topic=579712.msg7471719#msg7471719 date=1294297648:

during my time in the late 80's and early 90's,
*access to TV and other recreational activities were so limited. outing times were basically church bazaar, old cinema and trade fair (all annual event)
*My Nintendo game boy and bricks game were only released to me during holidays (in addition to attending intensive lessons during hols)
*I watched telly with my pop and most often the CRT TV was permanently tuned to CNN and NTA channel
*Novel and newspaper reading is a must, articles discussed.
*My books and scores were inspected after school everyday as i come home to meet my parents, latest 4pm, they were home from work
*I liked footie then but the epl and liga coverage and broadcast wasn't as it is now
*American, Indian movies and wrestling were the norm then but its only about once a week that I was allowed to watch.

Every other time was meant for reading, books, library, lesson, books, books, books, books, and i guess one is better for it today.

Such things are no longer enforceable, soccer, nba, home videos, cinema, Sony play station, digicam, lappy, fb etc. are the order of the day

I visited my friends home @ lekki, his 9 yr old boy has a flat screen telly mounted on his room wall with dual view decoder Shocked. The boy has enuff gadgets in his room that will make my father think twice about locking out my siblings and I from his dusty living room when we were growing up

But the poser is this, the western world have all these we may consider as distractions to our society but their youths are coming up with innovations etc and are becoming millionaires and billionaires in their young age while here, they fail simple exams in their droves
You're right
Re: Who Is To Be Blame For Student's Poor Performance? by HamidO1(m): 9:51am On Jan 06, 2011
Men= Ribadu+Fashola+Sanusi

Boyz= GEJ+ATIKU

Old fools= OBJ+IBB
Re: Who Is To Be Blame For Student's Poor Performance? by HamidO1(m): 10:24am On Jan 06, 2011
The students, parents and even teachers aren't doing enough. The whole education system in Nigeria needs serious reforms
Re: Who Is To Be Blame For Student's Poor Performance? by earlalright(m): 11:31am On Jan 06, 2011
first, yahoo messenger, then hi5.com, then myspace, and now, facebook and blackberry
Re: Who Is To Be Blame For Student's Poor Performance? by Ranoscky(m): 12:36pm On Jan 06, 2011
Blame it on the Govt.
Re: Who Is To Be Blame For Student's Poor Performance? by mekoyo(m): 12:47pm On Jan 06, 2011
Bad educational sytem, insensitivity of the government and the students are not helping matters.
Students of today don't read, they just want the short-cut which at the end of the day leads to fall out in educational standard
Re: Who Is To Be Blame For Student's Poor Performance? by VALIDATOR: 2:27pm On Jan 06, 2011
80% of SSCE candidates failed maybe because 75% of them shouldn't have been qualified to write the exam in the first place. The schools kept promoting them to the next class till they reached SS3 and wrote SSCE.
Re: Who Is To Be Blame For Student's Poor Performance? by jerryben12: 5:49pm On Jan 06, 2011
I still blame it on the students because they are waiting for manners to fall from heaven on examination days.
Re: Who Is To Be Blame For Student's Poor Performance? by kobikwelu(m): 6:31pm On Jan 06, 2011
BLACKBERRY, MTV, STYLE CHANNEL, 2GO, FACEBOOK,

need i say more
Re: Who Is To Be Blame For Student's Poor Performance? by ojofu(m): 10:21pm On Jan 06, 2011
Government- 40% - How can the teacher teach when his salary and welfare are not been taken care of?

Teachers - 30% - How can the student learn when the teacher has not taught?

Students - 20% - What will he do if he reads and don`t understand?

Parents - 10% - What will the parent do if the children are at home because of strike?
Re: Who Is To Be Blame For Student's Poor Performance? by 4reigningqueen: 12:12am On Jan 07, 2011
Very simple,when we start seeing ability as more important than certificates,things wil fall into place.for example,genevieve nnaji has only school sat bt no one wil know,chidinma ekile who won project fame has nt been 2d university yet her spoken english is fluent,godwin enaghena finished uni bt is doing something different,(tuface did nt finish uni bt we knw him because of his talent in bed & on stage,gej read all he cud bt his speeches are mostly uninspiring).
Re: Who Is To Be Blame For Student's Poor Performance? by amurx(m): 1:32am On Jan 07, 2011
government and parent simple
Re: Who Is To Be Blame For Student's Poor Performance? by jchublue: 3:46am On Jan 07, 2011
When I look at the world today, especially Nigeria and I see the way children are brought up and the influences they are exposed to, my heart weeps. Not to be a doomsday monger – I mean Nigeria is one the last cultural bastions of child discipline and infantile nurturing. Back in the 80s, there was a hit program on TV where the key word was “Shokolokobangoshe”; there was an Uncle on the program, I can’t remember his name, who asked the kids quiz questions on random subjects, and if they answered correctly they had the chance to play a shooting game with a toy gun with rubber bullets aimed at a dart-board. If they aimed and shot properly, they got a commendation from Uncle and a pack of Yum Yum potato chips, the coolest snack ever. That was childhood defined in 80s Nigeria in a sense – a strong, moralistic nurturing uncle or adult, snacks or treats to reward resourcefulness or good behavior, and a lesson to be learned at the end of every interaction.

Now children sit in front of the TV, watching a huge pot-bellied purple dinosaur jump about excitedly like bad eko. I was at a Genesis cinema at Shoprite some time back, and some parents brought their kids to watch the movie “Zohan”. Are you kidding me, http://woahnigeria./2010/10/15/save-all-under-aged-children-esco-s-a-u-c-e/
Re: Who Is To Be Blame For Student's Poor Performance? by Nobody: 8:15am On Jan 07, 2011
And to think that these students are only required to make credits in five courses to be labelled as 'pass'.
Methink the students are solely to blame.
Re: Who Is To Be Blame For Student's Poor Performance? by Righton: 8:38am On Jan 07, 2011
Indiscipline and corruption
Why do I want to study when those who did so well in school are unemployed?
Why do I want to study when I can do yahoo yahoo and make a lot of money?
Money is the only thing that we value - rich people determine who will get elected into political offices, own the best homes, use the best gadgets, ride the best cars, date the finest babes etc

Of course, teachers are also not motivated. The brightest do not teach. Afterall Johnathan was a teacher
Re: Who Is To Be Blame For Student's Poor Performance? by Mobinga: 8:40am On Jan 07, 2011
As much as I want to blame the government, I'll say its the sub-standard schools, and students.
Re: Who Is To Be Blame For Student's Poor Performance? by Ranoscky(m): 11:50am On Jan 07, 2011
Re: Who Is To Be Blame For Student's Poor Performance? by olu77(m): 9:47pm On Jan 07, 2011
How much is the salary of a professor compare with the earnings of a disgusting lawmaker who can neither interpret nor abide by the law he has made? How many graduates really get jobs through their ability and qualification without connection? Our leaders have laid the foundation for corruption and day in day out we labour to ensure we build on it a formidable structure. sad sad sad
Re: Who Is To Be Blame For Student's Poor Performance? by Nobody: 1:57pm On Jan 08, 2011
^^ see bullets! Thank God I'm in bullet-proof clothing. My Dr, I hail ooo
Re: Who Is To Be Blame For Student's Poor Performance? by Atreides(f): 10:07pm On Jan 09, 2011
Abeg jhor,how come everybody's always talking about us? Even if 80% failed,20% still passed. So yes,there are students who fail everything they possibly can,but please don't forget the rest of us who actually work hard to make good grades. The education system in Nigeria is at best,mediocre,and that affects our performances,but i think that excuse has been used one to many times. What's the difference between two students in the same school under the same educational system who fail and who pass an exam respectively? Proper preparation,that's what. As crappy as the system is,those who want to pass and who are ready to work for it will pass,shikena. 80% of the blame rests on those of us who simply dont know what their priorities in life are/should be.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Meet First Class Graduate Of OAU And 7 Times ICAN Prize Winner – / Police Arrest 3 Dowen School Students Over Sylvester Oromoni’s Death / Professor Richard Akindele Jailed Over OAU Sex For Marks (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.