Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,994 members, 7,863,563 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 08:11 PM

When Your Persuasion Is Not Enough In A Pandemic - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / When Your Persuasion Is Not Enough In A Pandemic (118 Views)

Obama Also Warned Of Pandemic Coming / The Nigerian Pastor And The Covid-19 Pandemic / Did You Go To Church Today Amidst The Coronavirus Pandemic? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

When Your Persuasion Is Not Enough In A Pandemic by Perfectbeing(m): 5:17am On Apr 18, 2020
Knowledge is one thing,the ability to apply contextualized facts is another thing .
There are many instances ,When your knowledge or let’s say persuasion isn’t enough .
Paul highlights this
1 Corinthians 8:1....But knowledge makes us proud of ourselves, while love makes us helpful to others.
Here he deals with the eating of food offered to idols .
The question of when it comes to others is not always what I know or believe but rather what will help .
This knowledge doesn’t make one superior over another, but rather should help Others
Vs 8 But food doesn't bring us any closer to God. We are no worse off if we don't eat, and we are no better off if we do.
He reiterated an admonition
Vs 9But take care that this liberty of yours does not somehow become a stumbling block to the weak.
In a later text he re emphasized this ..
1 Corinthians 10:24 We should think about others and not about ourselves.
What would help people now ?!
Verse 23-Some of you say, "We can do whatever we want to!" But I tell you not everything may be good or helpful.
True knowledge of The Son watches out for others.
Yet elsewhere paul reemphasizes this in a more direct way .
Romans 14:14 The Lord Jesus has given me the knowledge and conviction that no food is unacceptable in and of itself. But it is unacceptable to a person who thinks it is.
His persuasion about food yet he mustn’t get in the way of others .
The issues here are non essentials.
They mustn’t constitute what we flag or flaunt .
This is the same with using medication or taking medical precautions.
Men are variably persuaded.
Yet paul gives yet another instruction
Verse 22what you believe about this matter, then, between yourself and God. Happy are those who do not feel guilty when they do something they judge is right!
Keeping such persuasion to yourself might save many .
Now to the issues.
Some believe in a pandemic situation we rely on the supernatural.
The healing power of God.
Yes we should.
A Christian who doesn’t believe in the supernatural is pretending.
He’s not a Christian.
But herein lies the challenge.
At times those who say so, do no more than brag and make unsubstantiated claims .
In a situation described above ,it can’t be wise to start tagging those who take to medical advise as being faithless concerning Gods power.
Nothing in scriptures refers to medical advise as faithlessness or that which neutralizes our faith in God.
This was an age long error perpetrated and perpetuated by certain charismatic/ Pentecostal heroes .
Infact many of such claims sent many into early graves and others into disillusionment even into abandoning the faith altogether.
No famed healing minister of the 1900 or the healing revival is still alive today .
Some of them have their mates still alive and weren't healing ministers .
That said .
It’s without doubt that as touching sound physical health,common sense and good nutrition are the norm ,the miraculous comes in where it’s beyond them .
To ignore that non believers live long and healthy is to have a jaundiced view of the subject matter .
I have dropped such myopia for many years .
I take church members to the hospital .
I give and study medical advice .
I minister to the sick .
I have been doing this for over 25 years .
I have thousands of testimonies including recent cases of the recent pandemic.
Yet,my perception must never be selfish.
What would make people safe ,sound and healthy?
Not my persuasion, but what is practical for them now .
I personally have defied doctors predictions twice .
I mean life threatening and ending scenarios.
If you lay your hands on what I teach ,on healing ,
It has a far more wiser approach than my earlier years of making reckless statements.
I have a better wholesome and wholesaled view ,Scripturally speaking .
To endanger lives to prove a point is callous.
To use your persuasion on others on issues like these without considering them is mean .
In my earlier years ,I mocked using drugs ,I had nicknamed them too.
Stupid.
It’s arrogance.
Hear paul ..
1 timothy 5:23Stop drinking only water. Take a little wine to help your stomach trouble and the other illnesses you often have.
This is Paul’s number one disciple.
I didn’t see paul tell timothy,
“ I am immune from stomach trouble ,you should be too “
Or come let me lay hands on it .
Or why use wine ,that’s panic and fear .
I am sure paul must have prayed for timothy.
Yet ,he prescribes a natural cure .
Some have opined timothy didn’t walk in the supernatural.
They are comedians.
He did, hence Paul’s counsel to take wine too.
The church mustn’t discredit the sound healing ministry with bogus and unpractical means to stave off an epidemic.
It’s unwise .
A pastor friend told me recently how his church members prayed for him when he fell ill .
I saw that as commendable.
As he's a strong advocate and practitioner of divine healing with outstanding results .
That said .
Even when and if you feel you are so immune from sickness and disease .
Still advise
Social distancing.
Eating well
Washing hands
Staying home
When you do this well,you are obeying scriptures.
Realize you are an exception and others aren’t .
Take Paul’s counsel.
Keep it between you and God.
So others don’t stumble and die .
I hope this blessed you
Rev'd Onayinka Olusegun

(1) (Reply)

Facing This World In This Time With Confidence And Boldness / Prayer Points On Today's Open Heavens:sunday, April 19, 2020 / In The Light Of Truth: Earthbound

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.