Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,515 members, 7,819,857 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:46 AM

How Computational Photography Is Making Your Photos Better. - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / How Computational Photography Is Making Your Photos Better. (2220 Views)

Xpressverify Has Access To Nigerians’ NIN, Data & Is Making Money From It / How Computational Photography Is Making Your Photos Better. / Google Bans 29 Apps That May Have Stolen Your Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Computational Photography Is Making Your Photos Better. by Abiodunspectre(m): 5:44pm On Apr 18, 2020
Phone cameras have undergone huge improvements in recent years, but they've done so without the hardware changing all that much. Sure, lenses and sensors continue to improve, but the big developments have all been in software. So-called computational photography is using algorithms and even machine learning to stitch together multiple photos to yield better results than were previously possible from a tiny lens and sensor.

Smartphones are limited by physics. With a small sensor, narrow lens aperture and shallow depth, there are serious challenges in designing an improved phone camera. In particular, these mini cameras suffer from noise -- digital static in the images -- particularly in low light. Combine this with limited dynamic range, and you've got a camera that can perform pretty well in bright daylight, but where image quality starts to suffer as the light dims.

To work around this, companies have had to get creative. The biggest advances have all come from ways to stack or combine multiple images in the phone. Depending on how many images are stacked, and how clever the algorithms, this technique can be used to reduce noise, boost the tonal range, take clear shots in the dark, or even artificially boost resolution.

These techniques were known to photographers, and they're doable in programs like Photoshop, but the success of computational photography is having all these tricks happen seamlessly and nearly instantaneously, inside your phone. All you have to do is click the shutter, and the software handles the rest.

www.engadget.com/amp/2019-11-04-upscaled-computational-photography-pixel-deep-fusion-explainer.html

Cc lalasticlala , dragnet , Puskin , Honsule

2 Likes

Re: How Computational Photography Is Making Your Photos Better. by khingTony(m): 5:54pm On Apr 18, 2020
grin you almost made sense but the pictures you posted (the crappy phone-15 premier abi na La liga) ruined everything

4 Likes

Re: How Computational Photography Is Making Your Photos Better. by Iceman296: 5:58pm On Apr 18, 2020
khingTony:
grin you almost made sense but the pictures you posted (the crappy phone-15 premier abi na La liga) ruined everything

Whats makes the Camon 15 Premier Crappy??
Re: How Computational Photography Is Making Your Photos Better. by Abiodunspectre(m): 6:02pm On Apr 18, 2020
khingTony:
What's your reason for saying that?? I picked the phone because of the TAIVOS technology that came with it. It's a good example of Computational Photography technology.
Re: How Computational Photography Is Making Your Photos Better. by khingTony(m): 6:20pm On Apr 18, 2020
Abiodunspectre:

What's your reason for saying that?? I picked the phone because of the TAIVOS technology that came with it. It's a good example of Computational Photography technology.
have you reviewed the "TAIVOS technology"? how effective/ efficient is it? even if it's good(which I highly doubt) it's functionality will be impaired by the processor in the phone

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Computational Photography Is Making Your Photos Better. by sunshineV(f): 6:22pm On Apr 18, 2020
Abiodunspectre:

GCam is a better example "TYPHOID" is just beautification effect

GCam can't work on tecno phones and that's bad news for "affordable people"

4 Likes

Re: How Computational Photography Is Making Your Photos Better. by khingTony(m): 6:25pm On Apr 18, 2020
Iceman296:

Whats makes the Camon 15 Premier Crappy??
a crappy phone is a phone that has an almost-low end chipset (Which you can't get any life out of) as it's CPU in an era where some comfortable mid range chipsets are struggling to keep up with tasks.
no fast charge
no USB type-C
gorilla glass 3
plastic frame
can't shoot 4K videos even with a "64MP " Camera
can't be updated beyond the out-of-the box software.
for a sum of 95,000 naira

so, I've answered you

8 Likes

Re: How Computational Photography Is Making Your Photos Better. by ZesusHVWritter(m): 6:39pm On Apr 18, 2020
Abiodunspectre:

www.engadget.com/amp/2019-11-04-upscaled-computational-photography-pixel-deep-fusion-explainer.html

Cc lalasticlala , dragnet , Puskin , Honsule
I want to engage you. Do you have knowledge of what you posted or you copy and pasted as received?
I want everyone to be enlightened on the issue you raised and no better way to do it than to have a discussion and debate with someone like me who will leave no stone unturned to expose the lie in your claims... So are you ready to prove you are knowledgeable in what you have claimed and not just trying to deceive unsuspecting Nigerians....

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Computational Photography Is Making Your Photos Better. by khingTony(m): 7:15pm On Apr 18, 2020
ZesusHVWritter:

I want to engage you. Do you have knowledge of what you posted or you copy and pasted as received?
I want everyone to be enlightened on the issue you raised and no better way to do it than to have a discussion and debate with someone like me who will leave no stone unturned to expose the lie in your claims... So are you ready to prove you are knowledgeable in what you have claimed and not just trying to deceive unsuspecting Nigerians....
you no want allow these tecno marketers see food chop at all grin grin
Re: How Computational Photography Is Making Your Photos Better. by ZesusHVWritter(m): 10:40pm On Apr 18, 2020
khingTony:

you no want allow these tecno marketers see food chop at all grin grin
Them eating is not the problem, but eating off the rewards they get from deceiving innocent Nigerians is what I won't stand with or keep mute.

1 Like

Re: How Computational Photography Is Making Your Photos Better. by okorojoe(m): 10:52pm On Apr 18, 2020
khingTony:

a crappy phone is a phone that has an almost-low end chipset (Which you can't get any life out of) as it's CPU in an era where some comfortable mid range chipsets are struggling to keep up with tasks.
no fast charge
no USB type-C
gorilla glass 3
plastic frame

so, I've answered you
You just spoke my mind grin
It's not worth it at all

2 Likes

Re: How Computational Photography Is Making Your Photos Better. by okorojoe(m): 10:53pm On Apr 18, 2020
ZesusHVWritter:

My man don arrive. Abeg lecture am cheesy

4 Likes

Re: How Computational Photography Is Making Your Photos Better. by Nobody: 11:32pm On Apr 18, 2020
khingTony:

no fast charge
no USB type-C
gorilla glass 3
plastic frame

so, I've answered you

Re: How Computational Photography Is Making Your Photos Better. by statartngr01: 8:37am On Apr 19, 2020
@Abiodunspectre's why write for nothing? kindly contact us via our email statartnigeria@gmail.com
Together, we can!
Re: How Computational Photography Is Making Your Photos Better. by dazzlingd(m): 11:10am On Apr 19, 2020
Computational photography....interesting
Re: How Computational Photography Is Making Your Photos Better. by Abiodunspectre(m): 12:02pm On Apr 19, 2020
Cc dragnet , lalasticlala
Re: How Computational Photography Is Making Your Photos Better. by andelawhite: 4:38pm On Apr 19, 2020
Assumptions and doubts.
khingTony:

have you reviewed the "TAIVOS technology"? how effective/ efficient is it? even if it's good(which I highly doubt) it's functionality will be impaired by the processor in the phone
Re: How Computational Photography Is Making Your Photos Better. by Tonyreal49(m): 4:45pm On Apr 19, 2020
khingTony:

no fast charge
no USB type-C
gorilla glass 3
plastic frame

so, I've answered you

95k I'll rather buy Samsung A30 75k
Re: How Computational Photography Is Making Your Photos Better. by Mohbola(f): 7:31pm On Apr 19, 2020
What's computational photography sef
Re: How Computational Photography Is Making Your Photos Better. by ChuckKingston(m): 9:45pm On Apr 22, 2020
Don't know who may need this so I decided to share

Re: How Computational Photography Is Making Your Photos Better. by drjprince: 7:45am On Apr 23, 2020
Abiodunspectre:
Cc drag.net , lalasti.clala
I doubt lala would move this thing to front page on seeing tecno, you should have used a better device not scrapno or trashfinix
Re: How Computational Photography Is Making Your Photos Better. by Abiodunspectre(m): 7:40am On Apr 26, 2020
khingTony:

It's good
Check reviews on it.
Re: How Computational Photography Is Making Your Photos Better. by Abiodunspectre(m): 7:41am On Apr 26, 2020
Mohbola:
What's computational photography sef

Read the thread.
Re: How Computational Photography Is Making Your Photos Better. by Abiodunspectre(m): 7:41am On Apr 26, 2020
Tonyreal49:

95k I'll rather buy Samsung A30 75k

That's your choice though.
dazzlingd:
Computational photography....interesting

Very interesting stuff.
Re: How Computational Photography Is Making Your Photos Better. by drjprince: 7:49am On Apr 26, 2020
Abiodunspectre:

That's your choice though.
yeah a better choice
Re: How Computational Photography Is Making Your Photos Better. by Ejadike(m): 8:54am On Apr 26, 2020
Does it mean that the Computational photography is quite different from the regular photography?

(1) (Reply)

Try This Trick On Your Phone Just This Morning And Than Me Later / My Nokia 5330 Dstv Mobile / Sony Xperia Z2 Survives 6weeks In Sea Water

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.