Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,445 members, 7,850,558 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 03:09 AM

Blind Mourning: Is This A Part Of The Problem? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Blind Mourning: Is This A Part Of The Problem? (920 Views)

Buba Galadima: Nigerians Are Mourning Buhari’s Victory At Tribunal / Eunice Atuejide Slams Nnamdi Kanu, Says 'Igbos Can Be Blind' / PDP Declares Seven-days Mourning For The Victims Of the Plateau State Killings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Blind Mourning: Is This A Part Of The Problem? by OruExpress: 1:06am On Apr 19, 2020
Abba Kyari has died. He is accused of many things, and I will only speak on the ones I have proof for. One of the things he is accused of is being the actual power in this current government. The story goes that Buhari has been long sick and is unable to function as president, and therefore Abba Kyari runs the show. This I cannot prove.

He is also accused on being one of the plutocrats that is using government access and resources to enrich himself. I cannot prove this either since he never stood trial. What I can prove is this. In Igboland of old, when a killer, a thief of a person that committed abominations against their own people, themselves and others were killed, it was the order of the day not to mourn. When people died onwu ekwensu, either being killed violently or committing suicide, we did not mourn either. We had a belief in reincarnation and the power of spirits that was binding in the land. Because we do not wish to see those spirits return, or the events their spirits carried become a norm, so we do not welcome that spirits return with mourning, respect, or yearning.

But today it is called ignorant, and today I will prove that it is not only universal law, but our inability to acknowledge this is killing us.

In philosophy there is the concept of the world of things, and the world of ideals. The theory is that all things get their name from the ideal they are pursuing and that ideal informs how that thing will be. For example, look at a cup. No matter how you style a cup, we as people know what a cup is when we see it. The person who makes the cup knows what a cup is in his mind. He has an ideal he is aiming for. Then, determined by the person's skill level, available materials, may the conditions they were under when they made it etc the cup is made to look a certain way. It will absolutely, never, ever, be the exact cup the person had in their head but once it is close enough, it is called a cup and presented to the world.

In this example you see there is the ideal (what is envisioned when the person decides to make the cup) and the thing (the final cup). The final cup is as valuable as it is close to the ideal. If it is far, then it is thrown away. If it is close, it passes. For this reason you can find millions of styles and makes of cups but all people, universally, will know each one is a cup without being told because we all know that the ideal of a cup is.

Let us take this back to Abba Kyari. I don't know Abba Kyari's abilities as a leader. Some of you may, and most of you probably know more than I do. But know this. A spirit is not something mystical or supernatural. It's no more a religious concept as air and water. A spirit is real. It is provable and when a person dies, if you wish to keep that spirit in your life and if you wish for that spirit to become an ideal in your society, you celebrate it.

All over the world people build statues of national heroes. In Africa many of this believe this is for beautification or 'government works' but it is actually and ancient spiritual practice. When an American sees a statue of Abraham Lincoln or Martin Luther King, the spirit of those people fill the viewer. Whatever they stood for in life becomes immortalized. So that when an American wants to be a freedom fighter, Martin Luther King becomes the ideal. When a person wants to become a president, Abraham Lincoln becomes the ideal.

Because these two ideals (or spirits we call them) are immortalized, people grow to see them as the ideal. The people who want to be like Lincoln will enter politics. The people who want to be like Martin Luther King Jr. will enter social work and freedom fighting. While they may not be exactly like either ideal/spirit, we as Americans recognize them as freedom fighters and good presidents based on how close they are to that ideal...like the cup. If they fall to far from it, we consider it failure.

In Nigeria we have had 50 years of poor leadership. But everytime a leader dies, except for Abacha, we mourn deeply. We put them on our money, and we memorialize them regularly. We name airports and roads after them, and generally work very hard to keep their spirit alive. Because we have a belief that bad things will happen to us if we don't respect the dead. That death visits those who do not respect it's spirit.

As is the case with Martin Luther King, the same philosophy applies to Hitler. All of Hitler's kindred decendents gathered to abolish their family name, and all of them answer different names now. They all took an oath to each other to stay out of the public eye and not reproduce so that they family disappears. Hitler is not mourned in Germany and like Bin Laden there is special measure taken to assure a grave doesn't exist for the individual. Because if there is a grave, people can gather there, be inspired by that spirit, make it an ideal, and repeat what he did (reincarnation).

Yes, death does visit those that do not respect it. But corruption, ineptness, brutality, hate, generational failure, bloodshed, wickedness, theft and dictatorship and deprivation also visit those that do not respect them and unlike death, they linger. We, in our newfound ignornace, have celebrated those spirits in that names of the men that brought them to us, so that they have become our ideals. Despite use claiming we hate corruption we call Olusegun Obasanjo 'baba', and we can prove his own corruption. Today a generation that grew up hearing about Baba has entered politics. Despite us saying we hate tribalism we celebrate Murtala Mohammed and have named an airport. The same airport where Biafrans were identified by name, lined up and killed on sight. Many have even began to sing the songs of Abacha. And it's not as if we only have leaders that brutalize us.. by comparison Shonekan (for example) wasn't that bad and seemed like a level-headed leader...but he is the cup that doesn't fit the ideal, and today many young people do not know that we ever had a president that bore that name.

The big controversy of today is whether we should mourn or celebrate Abba Kyari's death. You know the answer. If you want Abba Kyari's spirit to guide the next generation of politicians, celebrate. If you do not what him as the ideal for your or the next generation, keep quiet or celebrate. Some societies have chosen to encourage the reincarnation of Martin Luther King and Abraham Lincoln. Others have chosen Abba Kyari, Sani Abacha, and Murtala Mohammed but know the choice is 100% yours.

4 Likes

Re: Blind Mourning: Is This A Part Of The Problem? by Seraphicelement(m): 1:21am On Apr 19, 2020
Indeed this write up makes a lot of sense. No wonder the present crops of leaders in Nigeria today just after the cake. No leader in the past whom we can actually State that he's corrupt free.

1 Like

Re: Blind Mourning: Is This A Part Of The Problem? by edgeconsul: 1:38am On Apr 19, 2020
smiley
Re: Blind Mourning: Is This A Part Of The Problem? by OruExpress: 1:58am On Apr 19, 2020
Seraphicelement:
Indeed this write up makes a lot of sense. No wonder the present crops of leaders in Nigeria today just after the cake. No leader in the past whom we can actually State that he's corrupt free.

They exist. Let us celebrate them more.

In the east we have
Nnamdi Azikiwe - Who did not die rich despite an accomplished life, risked his life and limb for the independence of Nigeria. Though we hesitate to celebrate him because 'Nigeria' later tried to kill us and his stance was not ideal
Gen. Ojukwu - Led Biafra in war, gave all of his inherited wealth to the cause and was generally an amiable leader. The current resurgence for Biafra really took off after his death, the writing of There was a Country and the rise of Radio Biafra who's success is in part due to Kanu sounding like Ojukwu (though less collected and more passionate). The party he founded (APGA) also produced credible leadership because it has a standard or ideal to live up to.
Mike Okpara - Developer, established the infrastructural core of his region
Sam Mbakwe - Developer, good leader, did not die rich nor settle from government and built critical industries and infrustructure.

I can only speak for my region but I'm sure other can list their own. The issue is those that grew up in the vein of these men are often trounced by those that grew up respected or working for 'baba', abacha, babangida and co. The issue isn't that good leaders didn't exist..they did, the issue is we allow the spirit of bad leaders to exist well after the death of the bad leader with pollutes minds. Nigeria is polluted to the point that if any of these men emerged today, we would think they were fools.
Re: Blind Mourning: Is This A Part Of The Problem? by SouthNigerian: 2:38am On Apr 19, 2020
Nice writeup!

Let me make this straight about we Yorubas. I read comments online accusing Yorubas of Cowardice for showing condolences for the death of the late Abba Kyari.

I want to appeal to other tribes that such ideas have been a misconception about we Yorubas. We have a Culture of showing condolences to the dead irrespective of their how they lived their lives. This Culture wasn't born out of fear of calamities if we fail to pay last respects, it was born out of flexibility.

In the Philosophy of the Yorubas, we believe in reincarnation, we believe all souls shall evolve to a great state of enlightenments after evolutional cycles of reincarnations. In order for the world to improve through peaceful living, in other for the deceased to find motivation to live right in their afterlife we pay them condolences wishing them [deceased] unconditional mercies & peace of the Divine Entities. We do this because the Yoruba Philosophy understands that souls that fail to live their Purpose in life are put in confinement for a long time by Disciplinary Spiritual Entities who delay their soulish ascension. We then pray for mercies for such souls not to remain too long in confinement of their soulish ascension.

The Essence of this Philosophy was lost some centuries ago due to lack of good preservation and passage of the Oodua's Heritage down the generational belt. We end up coming to the conclusion that we must pay condolences to the dead if we do not want calamities to befall us.

Personally, the news of the demise of Abba Kyari got me elated not because I hated him as a Northerner or Muslim. His death filled by belly with butterflies because he have been a major stumbling block to the Success of Nigeria. That been so, I wished him mercies & Divine enlightenments to live right in his next life.
This doesn't make me a hypocrite, it only showcased my understanding of our Culture & Heritage as a true son of Oduduwa, though we lost the definition of this Culture & Heritage of ours.

Those outside the tribe of the Yorubas misread this Cultural gesture of the Yorubas as Cowardice.

1 Like

Re: Blind Mourning: Is This A Part Of The Problem? by rummmy: 3:11am On Apr 19, 2020
Re: Blind Mourning: Is This A Part Of The Problem? by OruExpress: 5:18am On Apr 19, 2020
SouthNigerian:
Nice writeup!

Let me make this straight about we Yorubas. I read comments online accusing Yorubas of Cowardice for showing condolences for the death of the late Abba Kyari.

I want to appeal to other tribes that such ideas have been a misconception about we Yorubas. We have a Culture of showing condolences to the dead irrespective of their how they lived their lives. This Culture wasn't born out of fear of calamities if we fail to pay last respects, it was born out of flexibility.

In the Philosophy of the Yorubas, we believe in reincarnation, we believe all souls shall evolve to a great state of enlightenments after evolutional cycles of reincarnations. In order for the world to improve through peaceful living, in other for the deceased to find motivation to live right in their afterlife we pay them condolences wishing them [deceased] unconditional mercies & peace of the Divine Entities. We do this because the Yoruba Philosophy understands that souls that fail to live their Purpose in life are put in confinement for a long time by Disciplinary Spiritual Entities who delay their soulish ascension. We then pray for mercies for such souls not to remain too long in confinement of their soulish ascension.

The Essence of this Philosophy was lost some centuries ago due to lack of good preservation and passage of the Oodua's Heritage down the generational belt. We end up coming to the conclusion that we must pay condolences to the dead if we do not want calamities to befall us.

Personally, the news of the demise of Abba Kyari got me elated not because I hated him as a Northerner or Muslim. His death filled by belly with butterflies because he have been a major stumbling block to the Success of Nigeria. That been so, I wished him mercies & Divine enlightenments to live right in his next life.
This doesn't make me a hypocrite, it only showcased my understanding of our Culture & Heritage as a true son of Oduduwa, though we lost the definition of this Culture & Heritage of ours.

Those outside the tribe of the Yorubas misread this Cultural gesture of the Yorubas as Cowardice.

great write up. Our beliefs are similar only we don't have a limbo period where individuals are punished. They can come back immediately and it is your community that will judge whether or not you will come back based on how you lived your life. If someone committed abominations against god or the family they were buried in a way that would assure they do not return. If you have committed an abomination against Ala and bury and individual Ala will reject the burial, block their return, and punish the community for desecrating her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uscivz7Qyk

1 Like

Re: Blind Mourning: Is This A Part Of The Problem? by helinues: 6:14am On Apr 19, 2020
What exactly is the sin of Kyari that some people decided to hate him? Was he ever a president of this country?

Our hypocrisy stinks in this country
Re: Blind Mourning: Is This A Part Of The Problem? by SouthNigerian: 7:01am On Apr 19, 2020
OruExpress:

great write up. Our beliefs are similar only we don't have a limbo period where individuals are punished. They can come back immediately and it is your community that will judge whether or not you will come back based on how you lived your life. If someone committed abominations against god or the family they were buried in a way that would assure they do not return. If you have committed an abomination against Ala and bury and individual Ala will reject the burial, block their return, and punish the community for desecrating her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uscivz7Qyk

Great! A similarity in our beliefs should serve as evidence that all South Nigerians hailed from a common source.

The greatest challenge of the South is our inabilities to find effective ways to communicate our beliefs, hence the disagreements.

I pray God opens the heart of my fellow Nigerians to see how great a Nation will be become, if only we can ride on the back of Unity.

2 Likes

Re: Blind Mourning: Is This A Part Of The Problem? by SouthNigerian: 7:14am On Apr 19, 2020
helinues:
What exactly is the sin of Kyari that some people decided to hate him? Was he ever a president of this country?

Our hypocrisy stinks in this country

Oga speak for yourself, everyone have the right to express their feelings without hiding behind hypocritical emotions.
The death of just one Abba Kyari have placed Nigeria on a great track of Success again she's known for again. Thats enough to celebrate.

You can mourn how much you want, we don't care.

Abeg make I laff small jere gringringrin hahahaha gringringrin
Re: Blind Mourning: Is This A Part Of The Problem? by helinues: 7:18am On Apr 19, 2020
SouthNigerian:

Oga speak for yourself, everyone have the right to express their feelings without hiding behind hypocritical emotions.
The death of just one Abba Kyari have placed Nigeria on a great track of Success again she's known for again. Thats enough to celebrate.

You can mourn how much you want, we don't care.

Abeg make I laff small jere gringrin;Dhahahahagringringrin

So you mean we will start having 247 uninterrupted electricity?

Portable water to all homes?

Good security and upgrading of our health care facilities?

Of me never knew Kyari was so powerful like that oo
Re: Blind Mourning: Is This A Part Of The Problem? by Charleys: 7:20am On Apr 19, 2020
I celebrate the late General Sani Abacha for saving up money for Nigeria
Re: Blind Mourning: Is This A Part Of The Problem? by SouthNigerian: 7:23am On Apr 19, 2020
helinues:

So you mean we will start having 247 uninterrupted electricity?

Portable water to all homes?

Good security and upgrading of our health care facilities?

Of me never knew Kyari was so powerful like that oo

I won't give you expo answering those questions for you... few months to come, you'll start finding answers to your questions.
Shift, laff wan kee me abeg gringringrin
Re: Blind Mourning: Is This A Part Of The Problem? by SouthNigerian: 7:26am On Apr 19, 2020
Charleys:
I celebrate the late General Sani Abacha for saving up money for Nigeria

See them remnant BMCs grin Una go soon vanish like gaseous steams gringrin
Re: Blind Mourning: Is This A Part Of The Problem? by helinues: 7:26am On Apr 19, 2020
SouthNigerian:

I won't give you expo answering those questions for you... few months to come, you'll start finding answers to your questions.
Shift, laff wan kee me abeg gringringrin

grin grin

Is the Lord not wonderful?

Nigeria is no longer a zoo.. One Nigeria will no longer fall but stand?

Na this kind good wish we dey expect from you people towards your country... I like am
Re: Blind Mourning: Is This A Part Of The Problem? by SouthNigerian: 7:38am On Apr 19, 2020
helinues:

grin grin

Is the Lord not wonderful?

Nigeria is no longer a zoo.. One Nigeria will no longer fall but stand?

Na this kind good wish we dey expect from you people towards your country... I like am

Because we love this Country doesn't mean we celebrate the jambore rulership as experienced under Kyari. Nigeria was nothing but a zoo under his rulership.

Now that a major stumbling block to our greatness have broken & shattered out of the way doesn't mean we lost our sense of reasoning that Nigeria will make a Great Nation under Great Leadership.

In coming days, months & weeks... we are expecting a great fight between Light & darkness, everyone knows who the Victor is.

gringringringringringrin
Re: Blind Mourning: Is This A Part Of The Problem? by Nobody: 7:56am On Apr 19, 2020
This is revealing
Re: Blind Mourning: Is This A Part Of The Problem? by Charleys: 7:58am On Apr 19, 2020
SouthNigerian:

See them remnant BMCs grin Una go soon vanish like gaseous steams gringrin

I'm not political, I hate every region the same. My hatred pass your own. Check my topics, you still dey learn work on the hating game.
Re: Blind Mourning: Is This A Part Of The Problem? by SouthNigerian: 8:05am On Apr 19, 2020
Charleys:

I'm not political, I hate every region the same. My hatred pass your own. Check my topics, you still dey learn work on the hate game.
grin
Ogbeni koshi kuro nbi. I don't check terrorists posts before I identify them. You think say nah today? grin

Charleys is a propagandist & terrorist grin
Re: Blind Mourning: Is This A Part Of The Problem? by Charleys: 8:39am On Apr 19, 2020
SouthNigerian:

grin
Ogbeni koshi kuro nbi. I don't check terrorists posts before I identify them. You think say nah today? grin

Charleys is a propagandist & terrorist grin

gringringrin

(1) (Reply)

Is It True,that Peter Obi made personal used of Anambra funds while in office? / 2023: The World Is Not Waiting For You. Keep Recycling Ancestors / Buhari's Incapacitation Makes Office Of Chief Of Staff Too Powerful- Galadima

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.