Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,807 members, 7,817,343 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:37 AM

Why Would Benin Distort Thier History To Favour The Yorubas - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Would Benin Distort Thier History To Favour The Yorubas (699 Views)

Man Removes Genitals Because They Distort His Tattoos (Picture) / Oduduwa Isn't The Father Of The 'Yorubas' / 5 Unwritten Cultural Rules Of The Yorubas (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Would Benin Distort Thier History To Favour The Yorubas by gregyboy(m): 6:55pm On Apr 19, 2020
Most historian are continuously doubting the benin-ife link....
And it has hindered possible research on benin history as it is always distorting further researches.....from scholars

It happened that the benin-ife Oduduwa history was written for political gain nothing like that ever happened it all started in the old western region Were the different kings were cooking up stories of Oduduwa in order to elevate thier status as the topmost king in the western region
The oba of benin happened to have joined in this Oduduwa story after the creation of western region

See articles
Afc ryder, reconsideration of the relationship between benin and ife

JOURNAL ARTICLE
Traditions, Documents, and the Ife-Benin Relationship
John K. Thornton

For further research

A screenshot of john k. Thornton conclusions of benin-ife relationships as hoax

Re: Why Would Benin Distort Thier History To Favour The Yorubas by valirex: 8:35am On Apr 20, 2020
Nothing was distorted from the Bini side. Ekhaladeran was a prince and heir to the throne who was unlawfully sent to his death by the king's order because one of the queens changed the message of the priest b4 it got to the king. The King believing what got to him is the wish of God ordered the prince to be killed and the men sent to execute him made him swear never to return to Bini and mind you kings of Bini at this time were called Ogiso meaning king of the sky. So when Prince Ekhaladeran got to the present day Ife. The Yorubas needed a king and their priest told them a man will come from the bush and he should be king. On seeing him he was questioned where he came from and with the language barrier he had to use another means to communicate where he is from remember he is from the land of the sky kings (Ogiso) therefore he had to use hands to dramatize where he came from and it's only logical he use his hands to say he came from the sky. So there you have the Yoruba folklore of a man coming from the sky.

1 Like

Re: Why Would Benin Distort Thier History To Favour The Yorubas by gregyboy(m): 9:24am On Apr 20, 2020
valirex:
Nothing was distorted from the Bini side. Ekhaladeran was a prince and heir to the throne who was unlawfully sent to his death by the king's order because one of the queens changed the message of the priest b4 it got to the king. The King believing what got to him is the wish of God ordered the prince to be killed and the men sent to execute him made him swear never to return to Bini and mind you kings of Bini at this time were called Ogiso meaning king of the sky. So when Prince Ekhaladeran got to the present day Ife. The Yorubas needed a king and their priest told them a man will come from the bush and he should be king. On seeing him he was questioned where he came from and with the language barrier he had to use another means to communicate where he is from remember he is from the land of the sky kings (Ogiso) therefore he had to use hands to dramatize where he came from and it's only logical he use his hands to say he came from the sky. So there you have the Yoruba folklore of a man coming from the sky.

Lol, i just explained the politcs behind the myth you are left to remain dogmatic is your choice

Ekaladeran died at ughoton he never went to ife
Some folklore believed ekaladeran left ughoton to an unknown location before the arrival of the searching benin chiefs..... Were he had left to was unknown, this is what benins had mainted before the creation of nigeria, but during our stay in the western region ekaladeran story became edited for political gain.....

If only you will read my friend and think.....
https://www.nairaland.com/5761595/benin-kingdom-edo-state-remained
Follow this thread...... Better things are more explained there.......

I will only believe you if you can give archeological evidence benin and ife had a connection before the creation of nigeria,

Or you can present a document as early as 10c upto 1800 proving benin had a connection with ife
I guess this wont be hard na, Europeans recorded all yoruba tribes we came in contact with i guess ife should be there just find it out for me
And i will pull down this thread

Simple
Re: Why Would Benin Distort Thier History To Favour The Yorubas by valirex: 9:49am On Apr 20, 2020
gregyboy:

Lol, i just explained the politcs behind the myth you are left to remain dogmatic is your choice

Ekaladeran died at ughoton he never went to ife
Some folklore believed ekaladeran left ughoton to an unknown location before the arrival of the searching benin chiefs..... Were he had left to was unknown, this is what benins had mainted before the creation of nigeria, but during our stay in the western region ekaladeran story became edited for political gain.....

If only you will read my friend and think.....
https://www.nairaland.com/5761595/benin-kingdom-edo-state-remained
Follow this thread...... Better things are more explained there.......

I will only believe you if you can give archeological evidence benin and ife had a connection before the creation of nigeria,

Or you can present a document as early as 10c upto 1800 proving benin had a connection with ife
I guess this wont be hard na, Europeans recorded all yoruba tribes we came in contact with i guess ife should be there just find it out for me
And i will pull down this thread

Simple

Like you said my friend, " you are left to remain dogmatic is your choice "
Re: Why Would Benin Distort Thier History To Favour The Yorubas by gregyboy(m): 10:09am On Apr 20, 2020
valirex:

Like you said my friend, " you are left to remain dogmatic is your choice "

Am not once believed the myth but now not anymore, but you, you never stopped believing on the old myth......

You're the one who is dogmatic

I expected you to quote me with the exception i gave you but instead you replied with insult, is this how you debate or are you afriad to question what you have learnt......

Anyway am still waiting......
Re: Why Would Benin Distort Thier History To Favour The Yorubas by valirex: 10:21am On Apr 20, 2020
gregyboy:

Am not once believed the myth but now not anymore, but you, you never stopped believing on the old myth......

You're the one who is dogmatic

I expected you to quote me with the exception i gave you but instead you replied with insult, is this how you debate or are you afriad to question what you have learnt......

Anyway am still waiting......

Lol I didn't mean it as an insult my brother, I meant it just the same way you meant it. I am reading the link you sent no place did they say or support what you said. Take a look do you think a people especially their king will subjugate himself under another people? During the coronation of the king he stated Oramiyan to be a king? We can't claim to know history more than him.

Am still waiting for a better explanation from you. I still don't get your point. Educate me on this, am curious.
Re: Why Would Benin Distort Thier History To Favour The Yorubas by gregyboy(m): 12:10pm On Apr 20, 2020
valirex:

Lol I didn't mean it as an insult my brother, I meant it just the same way you meant it. I am reading the link you sent no place did they say or support what you said. Take a look do you think a people especially their king will subjugate himself under another people? During the coronation of the king he stated Oramiyan to be a king? We can't claim to know history more than him.

Am still waiting for a better explanation from you. I still don't get your point. Educate me on this, am curious.

The truth is the war he still been fought

No one would volunteer to say the truth it will be embarrassing to them

They are some yorubas supporting oba of benin because thier ancestory are from benin they are some against him and in support of ooni of ife because thier ancestory link to ife
While the othere are fighting for thier own interests eg alafin of oyo..
. The truth is benin would have win this political struggle but political power was not at his side
His stories was perfect
Re: Why Would Benin Distort Thier History To Favour The Yorubas by TAO11(f): 3:54pm On Apr 25, 2020
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! This is sweet! cheesy

However, Oba Eweka(II) confessed to H. L. Ward Price (in the 1920s) that his Oghene lives in IFE.

Did Oba Eweka(II) also lick the Ooni's boots for "PoLiTiCaL rEaSoNs" ?? ?? ?? cheesy cheesy

I am waiting for an answer! cheesy

Note: There was no Nigeria and no Western region at the time. Also your god-man, Awolowo was an ordinary 20-sth year old lad at the time. grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Would Benin Distort Thier History To Favour The Yorubas by valirex: 4:10pm On Apr 25, 2020
TAO11:
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

This is sweet! cheesy

Oba Eweka(II) confessed to H. L. Ward Price (in the 1920s) that his Oghene lives in IFE.

Did Eweka(II) also lick the Ooni's boots for "PoLiTiCaL rEaSoNs" ?? ?? ?? cheesy cheesy

I am waiting for answer! cheesy

Note: There was no Nigeria and no Western region at the time. Also your god-man, Awolowo was a mere 20s years old lad at the time. grin

Aged one you ran away and now using another account cheesy

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Igboland : The Right Of Female To Inherit Fathers Property Will Destroy Marriage / History Of Oje Market In Ibadan / New Eating Dimension-- Why?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.