Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,484 members, 7,830,448 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:26 PM

Germany Sends China £130billion Bill For 'coronavirus Damages' - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Germany Sends China £130billion Bill For 'coronavirus Damages' (696 Views)

Trump Suggests Injecting People With Disinfectant As Treatment For Coronavirus / Germany Sends China £130billion Bill For covid-19 Damages–Sparks Fury In Beijing / Boris Johnson Tests Positive For Coronavirus (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Germany Sends China £130billion Bill For 'coronavirus Damages' by llakes4real: 5:19am On Apr 20, 2020
Germany has sparked outrage in China after a major newspaper put together a £130bn invoice that Beijing "owes" Berlin following the impact of the coronavirus pandemic. Germany has followed France, the UK and the US in directing its coronavirus anger at China, where the virus originated. Recent attacks come amid findings that Beijing appeared to cover up the true scale of the crisis, as the source of the outbreak remains a mystery.

On Saturday, Donald Trump warned that China should face consequences if it was “knowingly responsible” for unleashing the coronavirus pandemic.

President Trump told reporters: "It could have been stopped in China before it started and it wasn’t, and the whole world is suffering because of it.

“If it was a mistake, a mistake is a mistake. But if they were knowingly responsible, then there should be consequences.

He said the Chinese were “embarrassed” and the question was whether what happened with the coronavirus was “a mistake that got out of control, or was it done deliberately?”

President Trump and his senior aides have repeatedly accused China of lacking transparency.

This week the city of Wuhan, where the outbreak started, revised its number of fatalities by with a sudden 50% jump in the figure.

The UK has joined US intelligence officials in investigating claims that the virus originated in a Wuhan virus lab and not a wet market.

A bombshell op-ed this week in Germany's largest tabloid newspaper, Bild, joined this outrage by drawing up an itemised invoice for €149bn (£130b).

The list includes a €27 billion charge for lost tourism revenue, up to €7.2 billion for the German film industry, a million euros an hour for German airline Lufthansa and €50 billion for German small businesses.

Bild calculated that this amounts to €1,784 (£1,550) per person if Germany's GDP falls by 4.2 percent, under the title "What China owes us."

China responded by claiming the invoice "stirs up xenophobia and nationalism".

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1271028/Angela-Merkel-Germany-China-coronavirus-blame-Wuhan-Xi-Jinping-Trump-latest/amp

Re: Germany Sends China £130billion Bill For 'coronavirus Damages' by emraeshine: 5:25am On Apr 20, 2020
Thanks for sharing.

Pointing fingers is unproductive and the invoice could, without a doubt, worsen xenophobia. But, I do agree that "if it was a mistake, a mistake is a mistake. But if they were knowingly responsible, then there should be consequences."

llakes4real:
Germany has sparked outrage in China after a major newspaper put together a £130bn invoice that Beijing "owes" Berlin following the impact of the coronavirus pandemic. Germany has followed France, the UK and the US in directing its coronavirus anger at China, where the virus originated. Recent attacks come amid findings that Beijing appeared to cover up the true scale of the crisis, as the source of the outbreak remains a mystery.

On Saturday, Donald Trump warned that China should face consequences if it was “knowingly responsible” for unleashing the coronavirus pandemic.

President Trump told reporters: "It could have been stopped in China before it started and it wasn’t, and the whole world is suffering because of it.

“If it was a mistake, a mistake is a mistake. But if they were knowingly responsible, then there should be consequences.

He said the Chinese were “embarrassed” and the question was whether what happened with the coronavirus was “a mistake that got out of control, or was it done deliberately?”

President Trump and his senior aides have repeatedly accused China of lacking transparency.

This week the city of Wuhan, where the outbreak started, revised its number of fatalities by with a sudden 50% jump in the figure.

The UK has joined US intelligence officials in investigating claims that the virus originated in a Wuhan virus lab and not a wet market.

A bombshell op-ed this week in Germany's largest tabloid newspaper, Bild, joined this outrage by drawing up an itemised invoice for €149bn (£130b).

The list includes a €27 billion charge for lost tourism revenue, up to €7.2 billion for the German film industry, a million euros an hour for German airline Lufthansa and €50 billion for German small businesses.

Bild calculated that this amounts to €1,784 (£1,550) per person if Germany's GDP falls by 4.2 percent, under the title "What China owes us."

China responded by claiming the invoice "stirs up xenophobia and nationalism".

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1271028/Angela-Merkel-Germany-China-coronavirus-blame-Wuhan-Xi-Jinping-Trump-latest/amp

1 Like

Re: Germany Sends China £130billion Bill For 'coronavirus Damages' by Avidcolz: 5:27am On Apr 20, 2020
Goodbye china

1 Like

Re: Germany Sends China £130billion Bill For 'coronavirus Damages' by tillaman(m): 5:48am On Apr 20, 2020
grin
Re: Germany Sends China £130billion Bill For 'coronavirus Damages' by Nbote(m): 5:57am On Apr 20, 2020
Yes oooo... Let every country calculate their own bills and expenses and forward to China. They should be made to pay for the damages dey have caused d whole world especially for trying to hide d spread of d virus and undereporting its severity

1 Like

Re: Germany Sends China £130billion Bill For 'coronavirus Damages' by ValCon888: 6:06am On Apr 20, 2020
That is bullcrap.

I suppose Poland needs to send Germany a bill of $500billion for the invasion of Poland.

Israel needs to send Germany a bill of $S1trillion for the Holocaust.

America needs to send Iraq a bill of $500billion for the invasion of Iraq in search of a Weapon of Mass Destruction (WMD) that did not exist.

China needs to send the UK a bill of $1trillion for the Opium Wars. Imagine a country officially exporting hard drugs into another country and fighting them because they refused.

China needs to send Japan a bill of $500billion for the Sino-Japanese war and the Rape of Nanking.

I can go on and on. The essence of what I'm saying is; blame games will get us nowhere.

1 Like

Re: Germany Sends China £130billion Bill For 'coronavirus Damages' by orisa37: 6:21am On Apr 20, 2020
CHINA IS IN DEEP TROUBLE (CHINA TI RUGI OYIN) AND SHE WILL PAY FOR THIS DELIBERATE MISTAKE OF HERS.
Re: Germany Sends China £130billion Bill For 'coronavirus Damages' by galadima77(m): 6:25am On Apr 20, 2020
Our politicians must not hear this
Re: Germany Sends China £130billion Bill For 'coronavirus Damages' by Bilabong(m): 6:29am On Apr 20, 2020
I don't see any African country doing that.

Re: Germany Sends China £130billion Bill For 'coronavirus Damages' by orisa37: 6:40am On Apr 20, 2020
orisa37:
CHINA IS IN DEEP TROUBLE (CHINA TI RUGI OYIN) AND SHE WILL PAY FOR THIS DELIBERATE MISTAKE OF HERS.

BY WAR GERMANY ROSE
BY WAR GERMANY FELL AND
BY WAR GERMANY SHALL RISE AGAIN.

IN CHINA, IT'S WE SHALL FIGHT WESTERN CIVILIZATION TILL THE LAST DROP OF OUR BLOOD. CHINA IS WRECKLESS AND WICKED.
Re: Germany Sends China £130billion Bill For 'coronavirus Damages' by wonuks(m): 6:45am On Apr 20, 2020
grin
Re: Germany Sends China £130billion Bill For 'coronavirus Damages' by Blossomfirst(f): 6:53am On Apr 20, 2020
Hmmm
Re: Germany Sends China £130billion Bill For 'coronavirus Damages' by PlayerMeji: 7:13am On Apr 20, 2020
Better people...
Re: Germany Sends China £130billion Bill For 'coronavirus Damages' by orisa37: 7:18am On Apr 20, 2020
IF GERMANY IS CLAIMING 2000 EURO PER GERMAN, BRITAIN SHOULD CLAIM 5000 POUNDS STERLING PER BRITISH. US WILL CLAIM 10000 DOLLARS PER AMERICAN. THEREAFTER, THE DAMAGE COMPENSATION PER ITALIAN, SPANISH, FRENCH ETCETERA

AND BORIS JOHNSON, PRINCE CHARLES, NIGERIA AND SOUTH AFRICAN ECONOMY.

CHINA SHOULD GO RIGHT NOW TO UN TO CONFESS, REGRET, REPENT AND SINCERELY ASK FOR FAIR JUDGEMENT FROM THE WORLD BODY.

CHINA HAS BASTARDIZED WHO. ONLY THE HAGUE AND THE SECURITY COUNCIL OF THE UN CAN TEACH CHINA THE LESSON OF LIFE.
Re: Germany Sends China £130billion Bill For 'coronavirus Damages' by GMBuhari: 7:22am On Apr 20, 2020
A few of us have seen this coming since news started filtering that China concealed the true capabilities of the virus and was silencing anyone who tried to speak out

Other people believe (myself inclusive) China may have done this on purpose to cripple USA most especially , through finances and economy , it appears to be true as china's economy started rejuvenating while that of the world is in shambles

world is going to sue china , that includes african countries, but how long will china drag it out with the world ? unknown

one this is for certain , if legal ways won't bring the desired result , we may be looking at another seriously cold war , where espionage , cyber terrorism , assassinations and so many more would start happening

China did this , the world wants compensation
Re: Germany Sends China £130billion Bill For 'coronavirus Damages' by orisa37: 7:29am On Apr 20, 2020
GOOD.

FOR THIS IGNORANCE, WRECKLESSNESS AND WICKEDNESS, CHINA SHOULD BE BURNT AND BOMBED OUT OF CIRCULATION.
Re: Germany Sends China £130billion Bill For 'coronavirus Damages' by HigherEd: 7:30am On Apr 20, 2020
Haha awesome jare. Nigeria should do same.

Lalasticlala

1 Like

Re: Germany Sends China £130billion Bill For 'coronavirus Damages' by CodeTemplar: 7:31am On Apr 20, 2020
What a bill!
The Chinese will have a good laugh on this
Re: Germany Sends China £130billion Bill For 'coronavirus Damages' by 0coded80: 10:32am On Apr 20, 2020
HigherEd:
Haha awesome jare. Nigeria should do same.
Lalasticlala
what is Nigeria when it comes to international politics?
Re: Germany Sends China £130billion Bill For 'coronavirus Damages' by llakes4real: 11:23am On Apr 20, 2020
ValCon888:
That is bullcrap.

I suppose Poland needs to send Germany a bill of $500billion for the invasion of Poland.

Israel needs to send Germany a bill of $S1trillion for the Holocaust.

America needs to send Iraq a bill of $500billion for the invasion of Iraq in search of a Weapon of Mass Destruction (WMD) that did not exist.

China needs to send the UK a bill of $1trillion for the Opium Wars. Imagine a country officially exporting hard drugs into another country and fighting them because they refused.

China needs to send Japan a bill of $500billion for the Sino-Japanese war and the Rape of Nanking.

I can go on and on. The essence of what I'm saying is; blame games will get us nowhere.

So, is this China's way of declaring war on us? In the game of war, be sure you win because you would eventually pay. The Germany, Japan, and Italy paid for WW2 because they lost.

Re: Germany Sends China £130billion Bill For 'coronavirus Damages' by ValCon888: 11:46am On Apr 20, 2020
llakes4real:

So, is this China's way of declaring war on us? In the game of war, be sure you win because you would eventually pay. The Germany, Japan, and Italy paid for WW2 because they lost.
The essence of what I'm saying is mistakes happen. Should America pay the whole world for bringing about the Spanish Flu?
And Japan, Germany, and Italy did not "pay" per se. It is the norm that when you are conquered in war, you offer tribute to the victors.
Re: Germany Sends China £130billion Bill For 'coronavirus Damages' by llakes4real: 12:11pm On Apr 20, 2020
ValCon888:

The essence of what I'm saying is mistakes happen. Should America pay the whole world for bringing about the Spanish Flu?
And Japan, Germany, and Italy did not "pay" per se. It is the norm that when you are conquered in war, you offer tribute to the victors.

Okay, I understand you now. But, what would China do if top nations of the world ask for attornment, if they "discover" that this virus was intentionally unleashed on the world. They sure can't isolate themselves, so they have lost "the war" and they would pay.

I want to disagree that they didn't pay for losing. They all paid!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_reparations

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II_reparations
Re: Germany Sends China £130billion Bill For 'coronavirus Damages' by ValCon888: 1:12pm On Apr 20, 2020
llakes4real:

Okay, I understand you now. But, what would China do if top nations of the world ask for attornment, if they "discover" that this virus was intentionally unleashed on the world. They sure can't isolate themselves, so they have lost "the war" and they would pay.

I want to disagree that they didn't pay for losing. They all paid!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_reparations

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II_reparations
You're not still getting me. War reparations or tribute is a payment the loser pays to the winner. It's a payment that is taken by force and not given willingly. On the flip side, if the Axis powers (Japan, Germany, Italy) had defeated the Allied powers (US, UK, Russia, France) the Allied powers will pay. It is the cost of losing a war.
What I'm saying is, if there's a mistake made by China in relation to the Coronavirus they can't pay because it's a mistake and not a war. That's why I used the example of the Spanish Flu. America didn't pay for that yet the disease killed 500million people around the world.
Re: Germany Sends China £130billion Bill For 'coronavirus Damages' by llakes4real: 2:06pm On Apr 20, 2020
ValCon888:

You're not still getting me. War reparations or tribute is a payment the loser pays to the winner. It's a payment that is taken by force and not given willingly. On the flip side, if the Axis powers (Japan, Germany, Italy) had defeated the Allied powers (US, UK, Russia, France) the Allied powers will pay. It is the cost of losing a war.
What I'm saying is, if there's a mistake made by China in relation to the Coronavirus they can't pay because it's a mistake and not a war. That's why I used the example of the Spanish Flu. America didn't pay for that yet the disease killed 500million people around the world.

Am quoting the OP.

No one said they would pay if it was a mistake -- they would if, after investigation, they intentionally infected the world.
Re: Germany Sends China £130billion Bill For 'coronavirus Damages' by ValCon888: 2:36pm On Apr 20, 2020
llakes4real:

Am quoting the OP.

No one said they would pay if it was a mistake -- they would if, after investigation, they intentionally infected the world.
Which leads me to my first submission that countries who intentionally committed acts of aggression are yet to pay for their actions. So why should China pay?
Re: Germany Sends China £130billion Bill For 'coronavirus Damages' by llakes4real: 7:04pm On Apr 20, 2020
ValCon888:

Which leads me to my first submission that countries who intentionally committed acts of aggression are yet to pay for their actions. So why should China pay?
Okay.
Re: Germany Sends China £130billion Bill For 'coronavirus Damages' by joshjc(m): 9:35pm On Apr 20, 2020
This could lead to conflict, like what happened in Germany , which brought the Nazis into power
Re: Germany Sends China £130billion Bill For 'coronavirus Damages' by hardeycute(m): 12:20am On Apr 21, 2020
Fake News, it's Bild trying to get ahead of themselves. https://fullfact.org/health/coronavirus-damages-germany/

Cc Lalasticlala

(1) (Reply)

Israeli Warplanes Bomb Iranian And Hezbollah Warehouse In Syria / Sweden Didn't Lockdown Or Shutdown Or Close Schools Or Anything / US Elections: Did Bernie Sanders See The Future?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.