Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,669 members, 7,823,892 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:32 PM

Lock Down Wahala : Can Children Watch “R” - Rated Movies With Parents? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Lock Down Wahala : Can Children Watch “R” - Rated Movies With Parents? (2417 Views)

I Want To Go Back To Nigeria- Nigerian Kid Living In Canada With Parents Cries / 5 Movies You Shouldn't Allow Your Children Watch / SHOCKING DNA TEST RESULTS ENCOURAGED BY COVID19 LOCK-DOWN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lock Down Wahala : Can Children Watch “R” - Rated Movies With Parents? by KanwuliaExtra: 10:16am On Apr 23, 2020
crackkhaus:

A teenager who wants to look at things they shouldn't be looking at, will always find a way to do it...but does this imply parents should now encourage it? cheesy

I guess the answer to this, is why I stated earlier that it's the parent's business at the end of the day.

You misunderstand my point.
I have never encouraged them to watch what I feel is inappropriate. But, I will not chase them from my room or nervously switch channels when they show up when I watch “R-Rated” content anymore.

They will have free access to what is on their phones, tablets and TV. I will always educate them on the consequences of choosing inappropriate content like violence and porrn.

@ The bolded. YUP!They are free to choose. They will have to learn and form their own viewing parameters. They are old enough to understand, rather than sneaking around with their friends. My choice. kiss

1 Like

Re: Lock Down Wahala : Can Children Watch “R” - Rated Movies With Parents? by KanwuliaExtra: 10:30am On Apr 23, 2020
crackkhaus:

There's a lot na... grin

1. Almost all Marvel Cinematic Universe movies & series are FAM/13 movies, with the exception of Deadpool and Venom for explicit violence.

2. Some DC comic movies & series are FAM/13 movies too - just check the ratings first, as these ones usually have darker themes.

3. Streaming services like Netflix have a whole lot of interesting/fascinating FAM movies...so does HULU, Amazon Prime, Apple TV+, etc...

There are movies like Jojo Rabbit, My Spy, Jumanji, Stranger things... In fact, I can't start listing movies one by one. cheesy

There is just too much fun & interesting family-oriented movies that you ALL won't sleep on, too much.
The series SEE on Apple TV+ is nice.

Thanks. grin

Not my kind of stuff.

Each time I go to the theater to watch movies like Aladdin, Frozen II and any animated movie I sit there and snore through it all. PORRRN does NOT interest me. I don’t have ANY in my library. I find them highly repulsive. Horror movies are not my territory either.

Black Panther WE ALL LOVED.
Stranger Things was ok, but did not hold my attention past Season 1.

I am more de-sensitized to most R-Rated content because I understand appearance and reality have grey areas. All about interest. kiss

Now, talk about GOT, Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, La Casa De Papel, The HandMaiden’s Tale, Vikings, Dexter, Bones, Moonstruck, Spartacus, and a host of others I LOOOOOVE.

Will I pick these for children under 18? Heck No!
If they get a hold of such content, choose to find them interesting, can understand the psychology of PSYCHO-SEXUAL THRILLERS. . . . Their business! I will only ask them why they find such interesting, so we can discuss the themes centered about GOOD vs EVIL, NOT RIGHT vs WRONG.

I leave all that to the moralists. In my opinion, children will have to develop their own moral compasses and DEAL with the consequences accordingly. . . . Like I had to. cool

1 Like

Re: Lock Down Wahala : Can Children Watch “R” - Rated Movies With Parents? by crackkhaus: 1:55pm On Apr 23, 2020
KanwuliaExtra:

You misunderstand my point.
I have never encouraged them to watch what I feel is inappropriate. But, I will not chase them from my room or nervously switch channels when they show up when I watch “R-Rated” content anymore.

They will have free access to what is on their phones, tablets and TV.
I will always educate them on the consequences of choosing inappropriate content like violence and porrn.

@ The bolded. YUP!They are free to choose. They will have to learn and firm their own viewing parameters. They are old enough to understand, rather than sneaking around with their friends. My choice. kiss
Perhaps I used the wrong word - encouraging will definitely put anyone on the defensive. grin

The right word I should have used which summarizes your position in the sentences I put in bold above, is enabling.
So while you're not encouraging it, you're enabling it.

But then again, it's your choice.

2 Likes

Re: Lock Down Wahala : Can Children Watch “R” - Rated Movies With Parents? by crackkhaus: 2:18pm On Apr 23, 2020
KanwuliaExtra:

Thanks. grin

Not my kind of stuff.

Each time I go to the theater to watch movies like Aladdin, Frozen II and any animated movie I sit there and snore through it all. PORRRN does NOT interest me. I don’t have ANY in my library. I find them highly repulsive. Horror movies are not my territory either.

Black Panther WE ALL LOVED.
Stranger Things was ok, but did not hold my attention past Season 1.

I am more de-sensitized to most R-Rated content because I understand appearance and reality have grey areas. All about interest. kiss

Now, talk about GOT, Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, La Casa De Papel, The HandMaiden’s Tale, Vikings, Dexter, Bones, Moonstruck, Spartacus, and a host of others I LOOOOOVE.

Will I pick these for children under 18? Heck No!
If they get a hold of such content, choose to find them interesting, can understand the psychology of PSYCHO-SEXUAL THRILLERS. . . . Their business! I will only ask them why they find such interesting, so we can discuss the themes centered about GOOD vs EVIL, NOT RIGHT vs WRONG.

I leave all that to the moralists. In my opinion, children will have to develop their own moral compasses and DEAL with the consequences accordingly. . . . Like I had to. cool

I didn't mention any animated or live-action movies like Aladdin though, lol.

If you and your family loved Black Panther, then you will certainly love ALL the movies in Marvel's Cinematic Universe because the stories all connect in all of them. cheesy
For instance, the Black Panther character in the Black Panther movie is not the first MCU film he appears - he first appeared in MCU's Captain America Civil War. In this film, his father is still alive, is still king and everything leading up to his father's death was shown here...something you only got to see as a 2secs flashback in the Black Panther movie.
The same Black Panther also appears in two more MCU movies - Avengers Infinity war & Avengers Endgame.

DC comic movies are not animated either, perhaps seeing comics in there gave you another idea.
The latest one of them (released early this year) is Birds of Prey, a sequel to Will Smith's Suicide Squad - you can watch these with family too. cool
Some other films under DC comics are Aquaman, Wonder Woman, and a host of others.. all beautifully made family-friendly movies good enough to hold your attention.

The list of series you gave above are definitely not under18 appropriate, although I would rate La Casa De Papel as age-14 and above appropriate. cheesy

The series SEE which I suggested earlier has the GOT/Vikings kind of feel to it, but unlike those ones is completely family-oriented...you would probably like it and be able to invite your children to sit and watch it with you. grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lock Down Wahala : Can Children Watch “R” - Rated Movies With Parents? by KanwuliaExtra: 3:33pm On Apr 23, 2020
crackkhaus:

I didn't mention any animated or live-action movies like Aladdin though, lol.

If you and your family loved Black Panther, then you will certainly love ALL the movies in Marvel's Cinematic Universe because the stories all connect in all of them. cheesy
For instance, the Black Panther character in the Black Panther movie is not the first MCU film he appears - he first appeared in MCU's Captain America Civil War. In this film, his father is still alive, is still king and everything leading up to his father's death was shown here...something you only got to see as a 2secs flashback in the Black Panther movie.
The same Black Panther also appears in two more MCU movies - Avengers Infinity war & Avengers Endgame.

DC comic movies are not animated either, perhaps seeing comics in there gave you another idea.
The latest one of them (released early this year) is Birds of Prey, a sequel to Will Smith's Suicide Squad - you can watch these with family too. cool
Some other films under DC comics are Aquaman, Wonder Woman, and a host of others.. all beautifully made family-friendly movies good enough to hold your attention.

The list of series you gave above are definitely not under18 appropriate, although I would rate La Casa De Papel as age-14 and above appropriate. cheesy

The series SEE which I suggested earlier has the GOT/Vikings kind of feel to it, but unlike those ones is completely family-oriented...you would probably like it and be able to invite your children to sit and watch it with you. grin

Oooooooh! Wonderful.
You sure know what you are writing about.
Will see reviews of ALL your recommendations and watch accordingly.

Thanks a lot! Oo la lah! cheesy
Re: Lock Down Wahala : Can Children Watch “R” - Rated Movies With Parents? by crackkhaus: 3:49pm On Apr 23, 2020
KanwuliaExtra:

Oooooooh! Wonderful.
You sure know what you are writing about.
Will see reviews of ALL your recommendations and watch accordingly.

Thanks a lot! Oo la lah! cheesy
Lol, my pleasure.
Re: Lock Down Wahala : Can Children Watch “R” - Rated Movies With Parents? by sacajawea: 11:39am On May 04, 2020
KanwuliaExtra:
Ok, here goes. NL is a “venting platform” and I will explain why I allowed under-18s watch my R-Rated TV series with me during this lock-up-and-down “CORO-ERA”.

We are spending more time than EVER as a family and sometimes we want to be together in front of ONE TV.

The issues I have had are as follows:

1. I can’t keep chasing them out of my bedroom if they need to spend time with me. School is closed for the rest of the session and everyone is HOME most of the time for social isolation precautions.

2. All the really interesting and imaginative movies or TV series have some degree of violence, foul-lingo or nudity involved.

3. I interrogated them ALL and found out they knew about some, if not all kinds of age restricted scenes and language. In fact, some children have been suspended from their schools from time to time for “cursing”, “smoking”, “sexing” or “grabbing”! Yup!

I am not new to social isolation, since it has always been my lifestyle from the get go. However, the present times we live in have stretched those standards to the limit.

I got hooked on MONEY HEIST, OZARK and PERSON OF INTEREST and watched the entire series with the whole family. Boy! With mixed emotions I asked myself if I had gone too far.

At the end of the day, I felt better they were watching such themes with me than with their friends especially as all are above puberty and can practically be “parents” at this stage.

We share our feelings afterward and I try to ascertain if any emotional or psychological casualties have been created. They all seem fine, like I am really late in the game.

Let’s be real. These are children that have access to TV, social media, YouTube, phones and tablets. Not to mention exposure to other children from different backgrounds.

Are we deceiving ourselves? Where do we draw the line? Is is realistic to filter what our children watch on TV, or do we give them the options and educate them on the consequences . . . . Later?

What harm can be done if you do or don’t? undecided

How old are your Children
Re: Lock Down Wahala : Can Children Watch “R” - Rated Movies With Parents? by KanwuliaExtra: 5:24pm On May 05, 2020
sacajawea:

How old are your Children

11-15! kiss

But look over 18!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lock Down Wahala : Can Children Watch “R” - Rated Movies With Parents? by sacajawea: 9:09pm On May 05, 2020
KanwuliaExtra:

11-15! kiss

But look over 18!
Do they know about your Runs and Faji lifestyle too?
Re: Lock Down Wahala : Can Children Watch “R” - Rated Movies With Parents? by KanwuliaExtra: 1:23pm On May 06, 2020
sacajawea:

Do they know about your Runs and Faji lifestyle too?

Wetin go consine dem with all dat?
Go ask Madonna or Omotola! wink

1 Like

Re: Lock Down Wahala : Can Children Watch “R” - Rated Movies With Parents? by armyofone(m): 10:20pm On May 08, 2020
RN with lots of money, class, pose and style - please respect tongue
Cococandy, bring that wine come appease the god galaxy grin

@ topic
I think for me I will try to make it clear to my kids that what they are about to watch is not real. I will try to pause and discuss scenes- maybe bored them to their rooms grin
No chasing them away is the right thing to do.

AJ, you are doing well! I hope to learn from you how to raise tween and teen when the time comes grin

Romangalactic:

What this RN talking about,Must u comment? cheesy
Stick to posting food cos tis a bummer trying to chat shyte about things u have no clue about & embarrass yourself. When something is rated 16, it means it's for people above 16 not people under it. An 8 years old child should only be watching things rated family or pg, not even old enough for 13 rated.

What concerns 8 yrs and a 14 or 16 years old before

2 Likes

Re: Lock Down Wahala : Can Children Watch “R” - Rated Movies With Parents? by Romangalactic(m): 12:29am On May 09, 2020
armyofone:

@ topic
I think for me I will try to make it clear to my kids that what they are about to watch is not real. I will try to pause and discuss scenes- maybe bored them to their rooms grin

AJ, you are doing well! I hope to learn from you how to raise tween and teen when the time comes grin

Lots of money and class how? cheesy Has Mr.T finished paying back her student loans or the mortgage he took on that Merc & the new crib grin or are you converting $ to naira equivalent and then using it to level her up to having lots of money . Na wah for nigeiran immigrants grin

3 Likes

Re: Lock Down Wahala : Can Children Watch “R” - Rated Movies With Parents? by armyofone(m): 2:04am On May 09, 2020
Okay come line for embassy and see if no go carry stick pursue you... grin grin grin no room for comparison due to level and seniority of the almighty $ tongue

Now share your own idea of watching movies
without light, biko grin

Romangalactic:

Lots of money and class how? cheesy Has Mr.T finished paying back her student loans or the mortgage he took on that Merc & the new crib grin or are you converting $ to naira equivalent and then using it to level her up to having lots of money . Na wah for nigeiran immigrants grin

2 Likes

Re: Lock Down Wahala : Can Children Watch “R” - Rated Movies With Parents? by Romangalactic(m): 2:19am On May 09, 2020
armyofone:
Okay come line for embassy and see if no go carry stick pursue you... grin grin grin no room for comparison due to level and seniority of the almighty $ tongue

Now share your own idea of watching movies
without light, biko grin

Almighty $? Almighty for where ke? cry

I go instead compare,do level and seniority using Kuwaiti Dinar at N1,200 to 1KWD or $3 to 1KWD. Na dis be real level cheesy una Trump pikin dem neva baff grin

2 Likes

Re: Lock Down Wahala : Can Children Watch “R” - Rated Movies With Parents? by KanwuliaExtra: 2:33am On May 09, 2020
armyofone:

@ topic

AJ, you are doing well! I hope to learn from you how to raise tween and teen when the time comes grin The other 25%? Na God hand o!

You will do just fine. All about communication and prioritizing. kiss

Ko easy!
But we are doing great small small.
At least I still have 75% control. grin

1 Like

Re: Lock Down Wahala : Can Children Watch “R” - Rated Movies With Parents? by kurus: 11:46am On Oct 26, 2020
KanwuliaExtra:

Watch PORRN with kids ke? undecided
To prove what kwa nu?
We are all adults here I assume.
Nudity offends some more than others.
Moral or holy thoughts indeed! cheesy

Let’s face it. A pervert will be a pervert.
We are all exposed to the same materials.
We will take what they like and discard the rest.

Any obsession with one material or content can be problematic to the psycho-social wellbeing.

Some are addicted to porrn or gun-totting content.

Some are born psycho-sexual deviants and cannot be helped.

I keep a watchful eye and my ears are to the ground always. I will intervene when I feel something is off. Hopefully, when it is not too late.

You sound like a parent who thinks she is open, wants to be open but has an disdain for those who disagree with you or perhaps have addictions different from yours (my addiction is better than your addiction syndrome)
Re: Lock Down Wahala : Can Children Watch “R” - Rated Movies With Parents? by KanwuliaExtra: 11:58am On Oct 26, 2020
kurus:

You sound like a parent who thinks she is open, wants to be open but has an disdain for those who disagree with you or perhaps have addictions different from yours (my addiction is better than your addiction syndrome)

Your problem, not mine.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Name One Thing Your Dad Did To You That's Still Paining You Till Today / My Brother's Wife Insults Him Daily Because He Doesn't Have Money To / What Don't You Like But Can Tolerate About Your Spouse?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.