Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,128 members, 7,811,181 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:30 AM

Mixed Reactions As Man Scolds Son Over Poor Grades After Paying N8m Worth Fees - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Mixed Reactions As Man Scolds Son Over Poor Grades After Paying N8m Worth Fees (906 Views)

Woman Exhumes Ex-husband’s Corpse, Fights Son Over Property (pics) / It's A Man That Will Pay For It. Stop Exposing It - Mum Scolds Daughter (Video) / Tattoo: Not Under My Roof — Ireland-Based Nigerian Mum Scolds Daughter (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mixed Reactions As Man Scolds Son Over Poor Grades After Paying N8m Worth Fees by CallMeDrino: 12:49am On Apr 23, 2020
It is generally known that most African parents take exam grades very serious even till date. A video of a man scolding his son over poor results has surfaced online.

The video, which shows a Zambian father simply identified as George, scolding his son over poor semester result, has sparked mixed reactions from users on social media.

In the video, the father was seen verbally abusing and slapping his son because he couldn't secure a good grade in eight subjects in his exam despite paying a fee totaling $21,680 which equals N8,455,200 (eight million, four hundred fifty-five thousand, two hundred naira).

Copies of the result obtained by Global Times show that the boy had got an A grade only in Music, Credit in Geography, absent during English Language and Mathematics exams, while he failed the remaining four subjects.

The result, which undoubtedly disappointed George, prompted him to bitterly scold the son with abusive words and also went 'physical' on him while the mother of the boy records the video. She was occasionally heard, begging his husband to stop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8a7gz74raqY

This has generated a lot of mixed reactions from social media users. While some called for the arrest of the father for 'verbally abusing' and 'physically assaulting the boy,' many reacted in support of the father that he (father) is only trying to discipline the son to be a better person.

Another set of users, including a former Big Brother Naija contestant, Leo Dasilva, opined that the boy is clearly interested in Music.

Many users also showed their anger at the boy, not because he performed woefully, but because he was absent during two main subjects — English Language and Mathematics.

Some also did not spare the mother for recording the video. They believe that the mother should not have made such a video as it is a 'family issue,' not something meant for the public, saying that they feel she's behind her son being 'spoilt.'

https://globaltimesng.com/mixed-reactions-as-man-scolds-son-over-poor-grades-after-paying-n8m-worth-fees/

Lalasticlala Mynd44

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Mixed Reactions As Man Scolds Son Over Poor Grades After Paying N8m Worth Fees by CallMeDrino: 12:53am On Apr 23, 2020
See reactions:

Re: Mixed Reactions As Man Scolds Son Over Poor Grades After Paying N8m Worth Fees by CallMeDrino: 1:00am On Apr 23, 2020
More;

Re: Mixed Reactions As Man Scolds Son Over Poor Grades After Paying N8m Worth Fees by Sixfeetbelle: 1:03am On Apr 23, 2020
It's even doing me like I'm the one being scolded like that. I couldn't finish the video. cry

Maybe he's not academically inclined but as African parents, such a thing does not exist in their vocabulary. I really hope a heart to heart discussion can be applied after this to help the boy. The mother sef should have been trying to placate the man instead of videoing it. Unless she has another reason for making the video. angry

2 Likes

Re: Mixed Reactions As Man Scolds Son Over Poor Grades After Paying N8m Worth Fees by Amanee(f): 1:21am On Apr 23, 2020
Must everything be on social media?

Some women are an embarrassment to motherhood

2 Likes

Re: Mixed Reactions As Man Scolds Son Over Poor Grades After Paying N8m Worth Fees by MrBrownJay1(m): 1:46am On Apr 23, 2020
na fututre Wizkid/Davido you are treating like that?!?!? kai!

but honestly.....your child is slow, get with the program and find alternative learning ways that benefit the child OR keep wasting your money!

2 Likes

Re: Mixed Reactions As Man Scolds Son Over Poor Grades After Paying N8m Worth Fees by Nonso92(m): 1:46am On Apr 23, 2020
$21k and he passed only music? He better become the next Micheal Jackson

3 Likes

Re: Mixed Reactions As Man Scolds Son Over Poor Grades After Paying N8m Worth Fees by Nobody: 2:35am On Apr 23, 2020
I see.
Re: Mixed Reactions As Man Scolds Son Over Poor Grades After Paying N8m Worth Fees by kristen12(f): 3:37am On Apr 23, 2020
A normal child will not miss class or even exams after spending that amount of money on him. A whole $21,000.

He should come and try it with a nigerian parent that makes money legitly.

3rd position in government school my mum is tearing our skins with cane.

Whether you accept it or not, those harsh training made us better persons.

6 Likes

Re: Mixed Reactions As Man Scolds Son Over Poor Grades After Paying N8m Worth Fees by ibkayee(f): 3:58am On Apr 23, 2020
Why did the mum record it?? Whoever publicised the video made it a million times worse

None of us know what goes on in their household, for all we know the boy could’ve been struggling with personal issues, learning disabilities etc. Had he been showing signs of failure? Or did this come completely out of the blue to the parents? We're missing a lot of context. Without a detailed backstory there’s going to be a lot of assumptions, but at the same time, we can only work with the information provided.

If I paid that amount for school fees and my child was skipping classes, on top of failing, I’d be livid too, so I don’t fault the dad for being angry...but I feel there are better ways to discipline than using violence. But then because I understand his anger, the father isn’t necessarily striking me as a complete ‘monster’ in this situation.

There’s a difference between failing for lack of understanding and lack of trying. The report gives the impression that he wasn’t trying (being absent etc), but like I said there could be a backstory to this that we aren’t privy to.

The distinction he got in music is at least, an indication that he is capable of applying himself in some way...

Also, I don’t think you need to have a ‘passion’ for a subject to at least try, so a 'lack of passion' can't always be used as an excuse. Some of these core subjects that you think are invaluable are there to set the foundation for certain skills that will assist with day to day life. Standard core curriculums will not be to everyone's 'taste', but they have their uses.

1 Like

Re: Mixed Reactions As Man Scolds Son Over Poor Grades After Paying N8m Worth Fees by kimco(m): 4:44am On Apr 23, 2020
kristen12:
A normal child will not miss class or even exams after spending that amount of money on him. A whole $21,000.

Are you sure you are the best you can be? Emotionally?

Africans claiming abuse made them better adults when they cannot even look their parents in their eye and tell them they love them without using social media. We know you love them but feeling is not enough...if you cannot verbally communicate the feelings, you have an issue right there which you will transfer to your children and wife. Yeah ...i dnt think it made you a better person, atleast not emotionally. Say no to abuse. It doesnt make anyone a better person...it is upto us to refine old ways into effective ways. All abuse does is cause rifts, its not effective...i promise you.

1 Like

Re: Mixed Reactions As Man Scolds Son Over Poor Grades After Paying N8m Worth Fees by sisisioge: 5:49am On Apr 23, 2020
Chai! Video has been taken down. Can't see it....but the kid boldly refused to be present for some of the exams? Hat money is a waste. Time to change his school to a cheaper school biko
Re: Mixed Reactions As Man Scolds Son Over Poor Grades After Paying N8m Worth Fees by Bola146(f): 7:10am On Apr 23, 2020
Owo wogbo lipsrsealed
Re: Mixed Reactions As Man Scolds Son Over Poor Grades After Paying N8m Worth Fees by Biglittlelois(f): 7:28am On Apr 23, 2020
The father is spot on, for the boy to have the guts to miss classes means he has no regard for his parents and their sweat to give the best education, and for the mother to video it, means she is his supporter even when he fails which wouldn't help the boy in the long run, some women can be emotionally dumb sha.

2 Likes

Re: Mixed Reactions As Man Scolds Son Over Poor Grades After Paying N8m Worth Fees by kristen12(f): 9:01am On Apr 23, 2020
kimco:

Are you sure you are the best you can be? Emotionally?

Africans claiming abuse made them better adults when they cannot even look their parents in their eye and tell them they love them without using social media. We know you love them but feeling is not enough...if you cannot verbally communicate the feelings, you have an issue right there which you will transfer to your children and wife. Yeah ...i dnt think it made you a better person, atleast not emotionally. Say no to abuse. It doesnt make anyone a better person...it is upto us to refine old ways into effective ways. All abuse does is cause rifts, its not effective...i promise you.

I never said I was abused, I was raised by loving parents. Because they beat when necessary doesn't make them abusive.

And trust me, I'm balanced in all aspects of my life including emotionally. My parents did the best they could do even though I don't agree with some of their ideas and it's working for me.

The best I can do is to make concious efforts, learn from their mistakes and be a better parent to my children.

I will raise intelligent and balanced children by God's grace.
Re: Mixed Reactions As Man Scolds Son Over Poor Grades After Paying N8m Worth Fees by Hathor5(f): 10:26am On Apr 23, 2020
kristen12:

How do you know it made you a bette person?
Re: Mixed Reactions As Man Scolds Son Over Poor Grades After Paying N8m Worth Fees by kristen12(f): 11:23am On Apr 23, 2020
Hathor5:

How do you know it made you a bette person?
I don't need to convince you about anything.
Re: Mixed Reactions As Man Scolds Son Over Poor Grades After Paying N8m Worth Fees by Hathor5(f): 11:55am On Apr 23, 2020
kristen12:

I don't need to convince you about anything.

You are right.
Re: Mixed Reactions As Man Scolds Son Over Poor Grades After Paying N8m Worth Fees by Omoluabi16(m): 1:03pm On Apr 24, 2020
kristen12:

I never said I was abused, I was raised by loving parents. Because they beat when necessary doesn't make them abusive.

And trust me, I'm balanced in all aspects of my life including emotionally. My parents did the best they could do even though I don't agree with some of their ideas and it's working for me.

The best I can do is to make concious efforts, learn from their mistakes and be a better parent to my children.

Nice one Kristen.
Re: Mixed Reactions As Man Scolds Son Over Poor Grades After Paying N8m Worth Fees by kimco(m): 2:43am On Apr 25, 2020
kristen12:

I dont get it...when a woman is slapped by her lover, its abuse. But when a child is slapped or canned, ultimate show of love. The full grown adult screams foul when she receives a slap. But a child is supposed to be thankful for abuse?

Im glad you turned out well...good for you...not that its up to you to determine if you turned out fine but okay.

Say let me ask you...

1.What should the severity of the beatings be to be termed as abuse?
Shouting aggressively at your child. What should be the acceptable decibel?
Because you see, from your post i can see that you are rationalising which is fine, we all do it.

2. Do you feel that the teacher who beats his pupils mercilessly hates them? Surely they must believe spare the rod and spoil the child. Infact for them they are showing love to the pupils. So on this note back to the question? How much beatings is abuse?

I hope you raise wonderful kids...i really hope so. Please remember this....if u can happily take beatings from your husband and be okay with it then fine go ahead and hit your kids. Otherwise stop the hypocrisy. If you do hit your kids i pray they grow up strong to return your love in folds. Then you will know
Re: Mixed Reactions As Man Scolds Son Over Poor Grades After Paying N8m Worth Fees by seunlayi(m): 5:55am On Apr 25, 2020
This man is wrong. Good and caring patents should know the capacity of their children, you know what to expect whenever they sat for exams. It is not all about paying huge money to sch /teachers, etc. No matter how busy, they are your children and part of your future

(1) (Reply)

Deaconess From Hell / I Am Not The One That Started It / A Divorced Single Mother's Dairy - A Bitter Lesson Shared To Save Marriages!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.