Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,221 members, 7,815,270 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:00 AM

Coronavirus: First Patients Injected In UK Vaccine Trial - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Coronavirus: First Patients Injected In UK Vaccine Trial (2060 Views)

15-Year-Old Indian Injected Her Boyfriend's HIV Positive Blood To Prove Her Love / First Volunteer In UK Coronavirus Vaccine Trial Has Died / Coronavirus: First Patients Injected In UK Vaccine Trial (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Coronavirus: First Patients Injected In UK Vaccine Trial by codekanle(m): 7:31pm On Apr 23, 2020
The first human trial in Europe of a coronavirus vaccine has begun in Oxford.

Two volunteers were injected, the first of more than 800 people recruited for the study.

Half will receive the Covid-19 vaccine, and half a control vaccine which protects against meningitis but not coronavirus.

The design of the trial means volunteers will not know which vaccine they are getting, though doctors will.

Elisa Granato, one of the two who received the jab, told the BBC: "I'm a scientist, so I wanted to try to support the scientific process wherever I can."

The vaccine was developed in under three months by a team at Oxford University. Sarah Gilbert, professor of vaccinology at the Jenner Institute, led the pre-clinical research.

"Personally I have a high degree of confidence in this vaccine," she said.

"Of course, we have to test it and get data from humans. We have to demonstrate it actually works and stops people getting infected with coronavirus before using the vaccine in the wider population."

Prof Gilbert previously said she was "80% confident" the vaccine would work, but now prefers not to put a figure on it, saying simply she is "very optimistic" about its chances.

So how does the vaccine work?
The vaccine is made from a weakened version of a common cold virus (known as an adenovirus) from chimpanzees that has been modified so it cannot grow in humans.

https://bbc.in/2KqArFR

Re: Coronavirus: First Patients Injected In UK Vaccine Trial by Righteousness89(m): 7:32pm On Apr 23, 2020
The World is about into the next level of Confusion

2 Likes

Re: Coronavirus: First Patients Injected In UK Vaccine Trial by GamalNasser: 7:33pm On Apr 23, 2020
They tell us to avoid the Covid Virus only to end up injecting it back into you as a vaccine

2 Likes

Re: Coronavirus: First Patients Injected In UK Vaccine Trial by codekanle(m): 7:35pm On Apr 23, 2020
The Oxford team has already developed a vaccine against Mers, another type of coronavirus, using the same approach - and that had promising results in clinical trials.

2 Likes

Re: Coronavirus: First Patients Injected In UK Vaccine Trial by BeStroNG(m): 7:37pm On Apr 23, 2020
Let's see how it goes.
Re: Coronavirus: First Patients Injected In UK Vaccine Trial by princemillla(m): 7:37pm On Apr 23, 2020
Waiting
Re: Coronavirus: First Patients Injected In UK Vaccine Trial by codekanle(m): 7:38pm On Apr 23, 2020
How will they know if it works?
The only way the team will know if the Covid-19 vaccine works is by comparing the number of people who get infected with coronavirus in the months ahead from the two arms of the trial.

That could be a problem if cases fall rapidly in the UK, because there may not be enough data.

Prof Andrew Pollard, director of the Oxford Vaccine Group, who is leading the trial, said: "We're chasing the end of this current epidemic wave. If we don't catch that, we won't be able to tell whether the vaccine works in the next few months. But we do expect that there will be more cases in the future because this virus hasn't gone away."

The vaccine researchers are prioritising the recruitment of local healthcare workers into the trial as they are more likely than others to be exposed to the virus.

A larger trial, of about 5,000 volunteers, will start in the coming months and will have no age limit.

Older people tend to have weaker immune responses to vaccines. Researchers are evaluating whether they might need two doses of the jab.

The Oxford team is also considering a vaccine trial in Africa, possibly in Kenya, where the rates of transmission are growing from a lower base.

If the numbers could be a problem, why not deliberately infect volunteers with coronavirus?

That would be a quick and certain way to find out if the vaccine was effective, but it would be ethically questionable because there are no proven treatments for Covid-19.

But that might be possible in the future. Prof Pollard said: "If we reach the point where we had some treatments for the disease and we could guarantee the safety of volunteers, that would be a very good way of testing a vaccine."

Is it safe?
The trial volunteers will be carefully monitored in the coming months. They have been told that some may get a sore arm, headaches or fevers in the first couple of days after vaccination.

They are also told there is a theoretical risk that the virus could induce a serious reaction to coronavirus, which arose in some early Sars animal vaccine studies.

Re: Coronavirus: First Patients Injected In UK Vaccine Trial by lameda07: 7:39pm On Apr 23, 2020
Let's pray the effort yields desired result.

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus: First Patients Injected In UK Vaccine Trial by Dreambeat: 7:41pm On Apr 23, 2020
Why use adenovirus? Why not use another subgroup of coronavirus? Was it tried and it didn't work out?
Re: Coronavirus: First Patients Injected In UK Vaccine Trial by codekanle(m): 7:41pm On Apr 23, 2020
The first human trial in Europe of a coronavirus vaccine has begun in Oxford.

Two volunteers were injected, the first of more than 800 people recruited for the study.

Half will receive the Covid-19 vaccine, and half a control vaccine which protects against meningitis but not coronavirus.

The design of the trial means volunteers will not know which vaccine they are getting, though doctors will.

Elisa Granato, one of the two who received the jab, told the BBC: "I'm a scientist, so I wanted to try to support the scientific process wherever I can."

The vaccine was developed in under three months by a team at Oxford University. Sarah Gilbert, professor of vaccinology at the Jenner Institute, led the pre-clinical research.

"Personally I have a high degree of confidence in this vaccine," she said.

"Of course, we have to test it and get data from humans. We have to demonstrate it actually works and stops people getting infected with coronavirus before using the vaccine in the wider population."

Prof Gilbert previously said she was "80% confident" the vaccine would work, but now prefers not to put a figure on it, saying simply she is "very optimistic" about its chances.

So how does the vaccine work?
The vaccine is made from a weakened version of a common cold virus (known as an adenovirus) from chimpanzees that has been modified so it cannot grow in humans.

The Oxford team has already developed a vaccine against Mers, another type of coronavirus, using the same approach - and that had promising results in clinical trials.

The only way the team will know if the Covid-19 vaccine works is by comparing the number of people who get infected with coronavirus in the months ahead from the two arms of the trial.

That could be a problem if cases fall rapidly in the UK, because there may not be enough data.

Prof Andrew Pollard, director of the Oxford Vaccine Group, who is leading the trial, said: "We're chasing the end of this current epidemic wave. If we don't catch that, we won't be able to tell whether the vaccine works in the next few months. But we do expect that there will be more cases in the future because this virus hasn't gone away."

The vaccine researchers are prioritising the recruitment of local healthcare workers into the trial as they are more likely than others to be exposed to the virus.

A larger trial, of about 5,000 volunteers, will start in the coming months and will have no age limit.

Older people tend to have weaker immune responses to vaccines. Researchers are evaluating whether they might need two doses of the jab.

The Oxford team is also considering a vaccine trial in Africa, possibly in Kenya, where the rates of transmission are growing from a lower base.

If the numbers could be a problem, why not deliberately infect volunteers with coronavirus?

That would be a quick and certain way to find out if the vaccine was effective, but it would be ethically questionable because there are no proven treatments for Covid-19.

But that might be possible in the future. Prof Pollard said: "If we reach the point where we had some treatments for the disease and we could guarantee the safety of volunteers, that would be a very good way of testing a vaccine."

Is it safe?
The trial volunteers will be carefully monitored in the coming months. They have been told that some may get a sore arm, headaches or fevers in the first couple of days after vaccination.

They are also told there is a theoretical risk that the virus could induce a serious reaction to coronavirus, which arose in some early Sars animal vaccine studies.

Work began on a vaccine in January
But the Oxford team says its data suggests the risk of the vaccine producing an enhanced disease is minimal.

Scientists there hope to have one million doses ready by September, and to dramatically scale up manufacturing after that, should the vaccine prove effective.

So who would get it first?
Prof Gilbert says that has not been decided yet: "It's not really our role to dictate what will happen, we just have to try to get a vaccine that works and have enough of it and then it will be for others to decide."

Prof Pollard added: "We've got to ensure we have enough doses to provide for those in greatest need, not just in the UK but also in developing countries."

Another team at Imperial College London hopes to begin human trials of its coronavirus vaccine in June.

The Oxford and Imperial teams have received more than £40m of government funding.

Health Secretary Matt Hancock has praised both teams and said the UK will "throw everything we've got" at developing a vaccine.

UK chief medical adviser Prof Chris Whitty has said neither a vaccine, nor a drug to treat Covid-19, is likely to be available within the next year.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-52394485?at_medium=custom7&at_custom3=BBC+News&at_custom4=FD833572-8583-11EA-A23F-27BFFCA12A29&at_custom1=%5Bpost+type%5D&at_custom2=facebook_page&at_campaign=64&fbclid=IwAR1nn4mYOa2IKCeh6xUrN9tiPI6fcJ938nqTs-1fCNXstU9WkOYtHgTjNKk&fbclid=IwAR18tVX-ubfFJxGYSJEzjPDmL0vG4V1wf2wf5Tq9meCba2i7WZ2yqEGiccw&fbclid=IwAR09o_IMJPG17NGCLELBiMdiQyObqLGF_NUsqtxkUuqAeuPO3wZofmYsgeE&fbclid=IwAR03bvrSyzz4AYvK8-vYw0qPYuV0Bc09XdR9vnPOjut6Rbnn3mMUYUezpjE&fbclid=IwAR3GeUex3bZxlpQBI0vstd0Uiw3d6nBCrReyjYpJtFiQLe9-71yDiMa6Co0&fbclid=IwAR0erbof8qhimZh9OPYUPf0LdlUOwzcg3_scrLpmHFdeJSFBsFqaYn1ntHw
Re: Coronavirus: First Patients Injected In UK Vaccine Trial by ShattaBandles: 7:49pm On Apr 23, 2020
GamalNasser:
They tell us to avoid the Covid Virus only to end up injecting it back into you as a vaccine

That's how it's done, they create the fake/weaker virus, inject it in your body so your immune system will start developing the drug for the virus, if that is done, when ever the original virus enters your body, the system would be ready, recognize and destroy it.

It's like immunization
Re: Coronavirus: First Patients Injected In UK Vaccine Trial by GamalNasser: 7:55pm On Apr 23, 2020
ShattaBandles:

That's how it's done, they create the fake/weaker virus, inject it in your body so your immune system will start developing the drug for the virus, if that is done, when ever the original virus enters your body, the system would be ready, recognize and destroy it.

It's like immunization

I know how it works but my question is since 98 percent of people will recover from the infections and over 80 percent won't even show symptoms why don't we just allow this move Naturally so everyone eventually build immunity
Re: Coronavirus: First Patients Injected In UK Vaccine Trial by Nobody: 7:56pm On Apr 23, 2020
Thought Nigerians receive meningitis shots at after birth..

Well, what do I know..
Re: Coronavirus: First Patients Injected In UK Vaccine Trial by Nobody: 8:01pm On Apr 23, 2020
Righteousness89:

Brother zealot, cease to defy God's name and image in making people see Him as the inventor of evil ravaging the earth. Cease to make it seems that God is the author of confusion and fear hitting the world. Cease to make it appear that God is killing helpless masses while the wicked globalists, puppets and sell outs are exempted. Cease to help the wicked god of this world to instill his tiger-teeth fear and chaos under the intoxication of your over-zealot alcoholic influence.

Divine information reveals the source of the evil, and are right here around us humanistically, in nephilim, and spiritually which are clearly exposed, detailed and explained by Jesus Christ in the scripture.

Note: its good to call people to Christ, which is of yesterday, today, and tommorow, it doesn't change. But evil inventions, wicked imaginations, and deceitful matters, leave God out of these.

Brother, get it right...

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus: First Patients Injected In UK Vaccine Trial by gidgiddy: 8:09pm On Apr 23, 2020
GamalNasser:

I know how it works but my question is since 98 percent of people will recover from the infections and over 80 percent won't even show symptoms why don't we just allow this move Naturally so everyone eventually build immunity

Because the two percent that will die amounts globally to 140 million people
Re: Coronavirus: First Patients Injected In UK Vaccine Trial by OdefaGirl(f): 8:11pm On Apr 23, 2020
If the vaccine is expected to work..... and give optimum results, then every form of medications whether self or legal medications should cease..... so that there won't be any sort of misunderstanding.....
Re: Coronavirus: First Patients Injected In UK Vaccine Trial by tooth4tooth: 8:17pm On Apr 23, 2020
I hope this produces positive results
Re: Coronavirus: First Patients Injected In UK Vaccine Trial by Kobojunkie: 8:17pm On Apr 23, 2020
GamalNasser:

98% will recover from the infection? 80% won't even show symptoms? Where? How do we know this for a fact if this is a novelle virus, and so-called experts, across the globe, remain clueless? Just yesterday, the world learned of new complications from this same virus.
Re: Coronavirus: First Patients Injected In UK Vaccine Trial by ShattaBandles: 8:31pm On Apr 23, 2020
GamalNasser:

I don't really get your question, are you saying 2% of people should be allowed to die?
Re: Coronavirus: First Patients Injected In UK Vaccine Trial by Vilgax: 8:55pm On Apr 23, 2020
GamalNasser:

that's a logical approach.

but the thing is, people that recover from covid-19 are not immune and can be reinfected. Some people might not be so lucky as to survive it the second time around.

thus, a vaccine is needed.
Re: Coronavirus: First Patients Injected In UK Vaccine Trial by asanwafo: 9:08pm On Apr 23, 2020
codekanle:

Is it safe?

Sharap! Typical Nigerian. Did u produce any? only writing rubbish
Re: Coronavirus: First Patients Injected In UK Vaccine Trial by SadiqBabaSani: 9:33pm On Apr 23, 2020
We hope it works
Re: Coronavirus: First Patients Injected In UK Vaccine Trial by Ololanla: 9:41pm On Apr 23, 2020
And we are busy sharing money in Nigeria.
Re: Coronavirus: First Patients Injected In UK Vaccine Trial by kramer: 11:29pm On Apr 23, 2020
Nice one!

To all those illiterates who think the vaccine is evil and will be used to track people, please do not use it! It means there will be more vaccines to go around grin
Re: Coronavirus: First Patients Injected In UK Vaccine Trial by codekanle(m): 11:41am On Apr 24, 2020
kramer:
Nice one!

To all those illiterates who think the vaccine is evil and will be used to track people, please do not use it! It means there will be more vaccines to go around grin
Don't mind them, 5G people
Re: Coronavirus: First Patients Injected In UK Vaccine Trial by codekanle(m): 11:42am On Apr 24, 2020
Righteousness89:
I don't believe that
Re: Coronavirus: First Patients Injected In UK Vaccine Trial by Xpol: 7:47pm On May 25, 2020
Black man is like I need to take aloma bitters before that girl come I'll show her today. White man is like I have to try and be the first to produce effective corona virus vaccine. Differences are very clear.
Xpol is here again watch out for my next singles Kuruna and killing myself

(1) (Reply)

Help For Prostrate Cancer / Weight Management And Body Toning Products From Forever Living Products / My Son Would’ve Been Alive If I Had Taken Himaway From LUTH By Force – Mother

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.