Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,865 members, 7,810,296 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:16 AM

JUST IN: COVID-19 Experimental Drug Fails Human Trial - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / JUST IN: COVID-19 Experimental Drug Fails Human Trial (2325 Views)

Woman Who Tested Negative For COVID-19 Fails HIV/AIDS And Hepatitis Test / Nigeria Flies In Covid-19 Drug From Bangladesh For Infected Governor / US Begins First Human Trial Of Coronavirus Vaccine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

JUST IN: COVID-19 Experimental Drug Fails Human Trial by phylshan: 7:59am On Apr 24, 2020
COVID-19: Experimental drug remdesivir failed in human trial —Punch Newspaper
Published April 23, 2020

The experimental antiviral drug remdesivir has failed in its first randomized clinical trial to treat the COVID-19 illness, reports said Thursday, quoting draft documents that were accidentally published by the World Health Organization.

Gilead Sciences, the company behind the medicine, disputed how the now-deleted post had characterized the findings, saying the data showed a “potential benefit.”

The Financial Times reported that researchers in China carried out a study on 237 patients, giving the drug to 158 and comparing their progress with a control group of 79.

A summary of the experiment said remdesivir was “not associated with a difference in time to clinical improvement” compared to the control, according to health news site Stat, which posted a screenshot.

After a month, 13.9 percent of the patients on remdesivir had died compared to 12.8 per cent of those in the control group.

A spokesman for Gilead told AFP: “We believe the post included inappropriate characterizations of the study,” saying it was terminated early due to low enrollment and was therefore not statistically meaningful.

“As such, the study results are inconclusive, though trends in the data suggest a potential benefit for remdesivir, particularly among patients treated early in disease,” he said.

The study does not represent the final word on the matter and there are several large-scale trials in advanced stages that should soon provide a clearer picture.

Remdesivir, which is administered intravenously, was among the first drugs mooted as a treatment for the novel coronavirus and as such has great hopes riding on it.

Last week, Stat reported it had shown significant efficacy at a Chicago hospital where patients who are part of one of the major trials are being treated.

The US National Institutes for Health also reported it had proven effective in a small experiment on monkeys.

Remdesivir belongs to a class of drugs that act on the virus directly — as opposed to controlling the abnormal and often lethal autoimmune response it causes.

It mimics one of the four building blocks of RNA and DNA and gets absorbed into the virus’s genome, which in turn stops the pathogen from replicating.

AFP.
https://www.google.com/search?q=punch+news+COVID+drug+failed+test&oq=Punch+&aqs=chrome.0.69i59l3j69i60j69i57j69i60.6060j0j4&client=ms-android-transsion-tecno-rev1&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8
Re: JUST IN: COVID-19 Experimental Drug Fails Human Trial by Iyiataata92: 8:01am On Apr 24, 2020
Ok
Re: JUST IN: COVID-19 Experimental Drug Fails Human Trial by Notyamate(f): 8:03am On Apr 24, 2020
This Coronavirus self is stubborn. Haba na only you waka come
Re: JUST IN: COVID-19 Experimental Drug Fails Human Trial by ogawriter(m): 8:05am On Apr 24, 2020
We are in for the long haul

Brace up for another month of lockdown
Re: JUST IN: COVID-19 Experimental Drug Fails Human Trial by Millenniumlady(f): 8:06am On Apr 24, 2020
Nawaooo just when we taught it's over it keeps coming back.......I miss my boyfriend like kilode embarassed
Re: JUST IN: COVID-19 Experimental Drug Fails Human Trial by ogawriter(m): 8:13am On Apr 24, 2020
Millenniumlady:
Nawaooo just when we taught it's over it keeps coming back.......I miss my boyfriend like kilode embarassed

Your boyfriend is lucky cool

Hope he mizzez you too? grin
Re: JUST IN: COVID-19 Experimental Drug Fails Human Trial by Millenniumlady(f): 8:15am On Apr 24, 2020
ogawriter:

Your boyfriend is lucky cool

Hope he mizzez you too? grin
Please stop quoting me he's on this forum
Re: JUST IN: COVID-19 Experimental Drug Fails Human Trial by ogawriter(m): 8:16am On Apr 24, 2020
Millenniumlady:
Please stop quoting me he's on this forum

This is a public forum and is there anything wrong or offensive in what I said?
Re: JUST IN: COVID-19 Experimental Drug Fails Human Trial by Millenniumlady(f): 8:18am On Apr 24, 2020
ogawriter:

This is a public forum and is there anything wrong or offensive in what I said?
I won't repeat myself
Re: JUST IN: COVID-19 Experimental Drug Fails Human Trial by Valro(m): 8:18am On Apr 24, 2020
They should keep trying. Our pastors are secretly hoping scientists will come up with a cure soon

1 Like 1 Share

Re: JUST IN: COVID-19 Experimental Drug Fails Human Trial by ogawriter(m): 8:23am On Apr 24, 2020
Millenniumlady:
I won't repeat myself

Like I care
Re: JUST IN: COVID-19 Experimental Drug Fails Human Trial by Millenniumlady(f): 8:25am On Apr 24, 2020
ogawriter:

Like I care
I'll make you to deactivated your acct if you're not careful
Re: JUST IN: COVID-19 Experimental Drug Fails Human Trial by ogawriter(m): 8:28am On Apr 24, 2020
Millenniumlady:
I'll make you to deactivated your acct if you're not careful

Lol undecided
Re: JUST IN: COVID-19 Experimental Drug Fails Human Trial by Millenniumlady(f): 8:31am On Apr 24, 2020
ogawriter:

Lol undecided
Nigga get the fu*k out of my mention

Re: JUST IN: COVID-19 Experimental Drug Fails Human Trial by phylshan: 8:34am On Apr 24, 2020
Really getting confused over this virus
Re: JUST IN: COVID-19 Experimental Drug Fails Human Trial by phylshan: 8:35am On Apr 24, 2020
grin
Millenniumlady:
Nigga get the fu*k out of my mention
Re: JUST IN: COVID-19 Experimental Drug Fails Human Trial by BENARI: 8:35am On Apr 24, 2020
I was counting on this drug to do the magic since it was first touted last week.

Note: The topic is misleading; its a drug, not a vaccine pls.

Ladies and gentlemen, may God help us all.

Amen.
Re: JUST IN: COVID-19 Experimental Drug Fails Human Trial by Skmoda(m): 8:54am On Apr 24, 2020
Notyamate:
This Coronavirus self is stubborn. Haba na only you waka come
it's not a vaccine at all, that op is mad...they are only trying to use EBOLA drugs to cure covid-19 which is redemvisir(antiviral drug)

1 Like

Re: JUST IN: COVID-19 Experimental Drug Fails Human Trial by sapientia(m): 8:56am On Apr 24, 2020
Ewo.

No comment
Re: JUST IN: COVID-19 Experimental Drug Fails Human Trial by ChristianNorth: 9:02am On Apr 24, 2020
Valro:
They should keep trying. Our pastors are secretly hoping scientists will come up with a cure soon
The people developing the cure, are they atheist?

You guys talk fullishly sometimes.

The people developing the cure still have pastors, imams and faith leaders they look up to for spiritual guidance.
Re: JUST IN: COVID-19 Experimental Drug Fails Human Trial by ijayopi(m): 9:19am On Apr 24, 2020
Your headline says "Trial Vaccine" your story says "Trial Drugs" are you aware they are different items? We keep getting things mixed up just for traffic.

1 Like

Re: JUST IN: COVID-19 Experimental Drug Fails Human Trial by Valro(m): 9:46am On Apr 24, 2020
ChristianNorth:

The people developing the cure, are they atheist?

You guys talk fullishly sometimes.

The people developing the cure still have pastors, imams and faith leaders they look up to for spiritual guidance.
Oga if you cannot write down your comments here precisely without quoting me, then take the next flight to hell or better still trek, am entitled to my opinion and you are not to judge if its foolish or not. Science and religion work hand in hand and at the same contradicting each other. So when I say what I say, I know why I said what I said.
Re: JUST IN: COVID-19 Experimental Drug Fails Human Trial by bolseas(f): 10:23am On Apr 24, 2020
Op correct your title. Is it drug or vaccine?.. do the needful please angry
Re: JUST IN: COVID-19 Experimental Drug Fails Human Trial by ChristianNorth: 11:01am On Apr 24, 2020
Valro:

Oga if you cannot write down your comments here precisely without quoting me, then take the next flight to hell or better still trek, am entitled to my opinion and you are not to judge if its foolish or not. Science and religion work hand in hand and at the same contradicting each other. So when I say what I say, I know why I said what I said.
Like I said, you guys talk fullishly sometimes.

Having opinion doesn't mean you have to be insensitive to people's belief or insults people's profession.

Insulting pastors is utter fullishness.
Re: JUST IN: COVID-19 Experimental Drug Fails Human Trial by Valro(m): 12:09pm On Apr 24, 2020
ChristianNorth:

Like I said, you guys talk fullishly sometimes.

Having opinion doesn't mean you have to be insensitive to people's belief or insults people's profession.

Insulting pastors is utter fullishness.
The way you are pained, you must be a Pastor. I wouldn't want to dive into unnecessary banter with you here seeing you are overly sentimental, more like you are a religious fanatic, whether you consider the stated as insult or not, the fact remains that the world (including your stupid religious leaders) is waiting on science to provide solution, Why haven't you gone for 40 days fasting for virus to dissappear?
I understand your frustration due to this lockdown but kindly help yourself with a bottle of sniper, don't quote me again else I ll worsen your day, am jobless today.

1 Like

Re: JUST IN: COVID-19 Experimental Drug Fails Human Trial by Nobody: 12:50pm On Apr 24, 2020
This is a treatment drug not a vaccine. Oga
A vaccine is around the corner
Re: JUST IN: COVID-19 Experimental Drug Fails Human Trial by Heffalump(m): 1:08pm On Apr 24, 2020
Millenniumlady:

Woman calm down, make you shame small na. Your puzzy no dey fear Coronavirus This one no be HIV oo tongue
Re: JUST IN: COVID-19 Experimental Drug Fails Human Trial by Bamz(m): 1:56pm On Apr 24, 2020
Clinical trials will surely continue and from the look of things, and from what I hear from the BBC, a vaccine would be develop within 18 months.

I still wait to hear news from Africa CDC and what we're doing to battle this bug. We shouldn't be like the student that allows the rest of the of the class to solve a difficult assignment just to end up copying grin
Re: JUST IN: COVID-19 Experimental Drug Fails Human Trial by phylshan: 2:50pm On Apr 24, 2020
Skmoda:

it's not a vaccine at all, that op is mad...they are only trying to use EBOLA drugs to cure covid-19 which is redemvisir(antiviral drug)
No need. I mistakenly used the word drug in the title, you only needed to draw my attention to it.
Re: JUST IN: COVID-19 Experimental Drug Fails Human Trial by phylshan: 2:51pm On Apr 24, 2020
ijayopi:
Your headline says "Trial Vaccine" your story says "Trial Drugs" are you aware they are different items? We keep getting things mixed up just for traffic.
Mistake noted
Re: JUST IN: COVID-19 Experimental Drug Fails Human Trial by phylshan: 2:51pm On Apr 24, 2020
bolseas:
Op correct your title. Is it drug or vaccine?.. do the needful please angry
Thanks. Already modified

1 Like

Re: JUST IN: COVID-19 Experimental Drug Fails Human Trial by phylshan: 2:53pm On Apr 24, 2020
MyFlair:
This is a treatment drug not a vaccine. Oga
A vaccine is around the corner
Sorry. It's been modified. Thanks

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Cure Mouth Odour Permanently / How Can I Develop A Smooth And Soft Palm? / See 10 Serious Problems Girls With Big B00bs Face

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.