Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,650 members, 7,820,260 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:16 PM

Are Ladies Still Plaiting Their Hair Or Is It Old School - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Are Ladies Still Plaiting Their Hair Or Is It Old School (3918 Views)

10 Weird Things Females Apply To Their Hair / Return Of The Old School Wears For Guys {pics} / Why Are Black Men Expected To Keep Their Hair Short? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Ladies Still Plaiting Their Hair Or Is It Old School by TEEZERO(m): 7:54am On Jan 08, 2011
I grew up with ladies plaiting their hair with the "Ceiling Fan" brand of hair cotton thread. Now it's either the chemicalised hair-do's or weave-on. Am wondering: are there still ladies who plai their hair and even whether there are hair-plaiters in he market? Or is it that the thread is no longer available? Can hair-plaiting come back to vogue? Considering that their are no chemicals involved
Re: Are Ladies Still Plaiting Their Hair Or Is It Old School by Acidosis(m): 8:18am On Jan 08, 2011
What are you talking about?
Re: Are Ladies Still Plaiting Their Hair Or Is It Old School by TEEZERO(m): 8:50am On Jan 08, 2011
if you can't join them, beat it
Re: Are Ladies Still Plaiting Their Hair Or Is It Old School by Acidosis(m): 9:02am On Jan 08, 2011
lol.
About the issue of hair, just visit a church like Deeper Life Bible Church. Then you can conclude
Re: Are Ladies Still Plaiting Their Hair Or Is It Old School by Jenifa1: 9:13am On Jan 08, 2011
Acidosis:

lol.
About the issue of hair, just visit a church like Deeper Life Bible Church. Then you can conclude

haha so true.

a lot of things women do in terms of hairstyle and fashion etc is to attract men and keep up with beauty standards (light skin, straight long hair etc). so if they are wearing weaves and relaxing their hair, it's because that's what men prefer.
plaits are old school.

but if you still like plaits, join deeper life as suggested.
Re: Are Ladies Still Plaiting Their Hair Or Is It Old School by TEEZERO(m): 9:50am On Jan 08, 2011
That's a good pointer. Very good pointer indeed.
Re: Are Ladies Still Plaiting Their Hair Or Is It Old School by Nobody: 5:49pm On Jan 08, 2011
hhhaaahaha oh God! Actually my mom used to enjoy plaiting my hair, but now I just do not like it. I do it sometime, but hey, I wouldn't be rocking it as a major hairstyle.
Re: Are Ladies Still Plaiting Their Hair Or Is It Old School by TEEZERO(m): 6:00pm On Jan 08, 2011
Why not?
There are fantastic styles you can rock.
You would spare your hair of chemicals.
if you have a celebrity like one of your favourite Movie stars with a funky hairstyle, would you be persuaded?
Re: Are Ladies Still Plaiting Their Hair Or Is It Old School by Nobody: 6:02pm On Jan 08, 2011
Is this a survey?
Re: Are Ladies Still Plaiting Their Hair Or Is It Old School by TEEZERO(m): 7:04pm On Jan 08, 2011
I am actually trying to see whether it would be a futile attempt to promote a back-to-our-roots campaign. Would like you to check www.myweku.com and search for Ojeikere and see if you are not impressed by the hair styles there.
Re: Are Ladies Still Plaiting Their Hair Or Is It Old School by Jenifa1: 1:01am On Jan 09, 2011
TEE ZERO:

I am actually trying to see whether it would be a futile attempt to promote a back-to-our-roots campaign. Would like you to check www.myweku.com and search for Ojeikere and see if you are not impressed by the hair styles there.

I don't trust these kind of "back to roots" campaigns. why are you focusing on women?
it is a futile attempt jor. we don't want another taliban Iran in Nigeria abeg.
Re: Are Ladies Still Plaiting Their Hair Or Is It Old School by TEEZERO(m): 7:33am On Jan 09, 2011
@ Jenifa: Is that what it would amount to? I am old school, grew up in the 60s and it was definitely lovely seeing women with different kinds of styles of plaited hair. My company also did some work for Softsheen Carson and they always liked to promote rootsy things like that
Re: Are Ladies Still Plaiting Their Hair Or Is It Old School by Jenifa1: 9:31am On Jan 09, 2011
yea you are old school.
most youth are not into stuff like that anymore. it's like asking them to listen to ebenezer obey when they prefer psquare and styl plus.
i hope you know who p-square is. lol

well, i see what you mean now though. good work and good luck converting the girls wink

If you want them to start plaiting their hair, you have to bring it back in vogue by convincing the superstars and celebrities first. these people are the role models for many youths.
Re: Are Ladies Still Plaiting Their Hair Or Is It Old School by Nobody: 9:33am On Jan 09, 2011
Jenifa_:

yea you are old school.
most youth are not into stuff like that anymore. it's like asking them to listen to ebenezer obey when they prefer psquare and styl plus.
i hope you know who p-square is. lol
well, i see what you mean now though. good work and good luck trying to convert the girls wink
Oh me grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin (poster pls nothing personal)
Re: Are Ladies Still Plaiting Their Hair Or Is It Old School by tpia1: 9:36am On Jan 09, 2011
plaiting hair is mostly old school but some women still do it occasionally.

some white ladies are also plaiting their hair these days sha.

i've seen a few recently.
Re: Are Ladies Still Plaiting Their Hair Or Is It Old School by TEEZERO(m): 12:58pm On Jan 09, 2011
P Square? Is that a professor of mathematics?
Don't mind me, I know P Square, though I listen more to Classic FM.
But, thanks, Jenifa, for the idea:,getting celebrities to do the do. I wonder if they even sell the cotton thread any longer. But did you check the myweku.com to see the gorgeous styles there?
Perhaps, it is time to ask Softsheen Carson to do something. If their answer is positive, then I will invite you, Jenifa
Re: Are Ladies Still Plaiting Their Hair Or Is It Old School by PTBNaija(f): 10:41pm On Jan 09, 2011
A lot of women still wear breaded and twisted hair styles. I've worn weaves and stuff, but when my hair is not out my go to style is braids/twists.
Re: Are Ladies Still Plaiting Their Hair Or Is It Old School by TEEZERO(m): 5:07am On Jan 10, 2011
@PTBNaija: But no plaits? Never?
Re: Are Ladies Still Plaiting Their Hair Or Is It Old School by Jenifa1: 6:24am On Jan 10, 2011
TEE ZERO:

P Square? Is that a professor of mathematics?
Don't mind me, I know P Square, though I listen more to Classic FM.
But, thanks, Jenifa, for the idea:,getting celebrities to do the do. I wonder if they even sell the cotton thread any longer. But did you check the myweku.com to see the gorgeous styles there?
Perhaps, it is time to ask Softsheen Carson to do something. If their answer is positive, then I will invite you, Jenifa

hahahaha lol  wink I don't live in nigeria though. but thanks for the offer.

if there is demand there will be supply. i'm sure if people start korun-ing again, they will start selling the threads.  (they call it Ikorun right?)
do you mean plaits without extentions? people sometimes use extensions to give the appearance of long hair that we Africans don't naturally have.
Re: Are Ladies Still Plaiting Their Hair Or Is It Old School by sneha123(f): 8:46am On Jan 10, 2011
Wow !!!!!!! it is wonderful thread,,,,thanks for nice information,,,,That's a good pointer. Very good pointer indeed,
Thanks lot for share with us,,,
Re: Are Ladies Still Plaiting Their Hair Or Is It Old School by TEEZERO(m): 9:18am On Jan 10, 2011
Nice to know. Welcome. Have you tried plaiting your hair, sneha123
Re: Are Ladies Still Plaiting Their Hair Or Is It Old School by PTBNaija(f): 1:17am On Jan 11, 2011
I thought plaits and braids are the same?

Or do you mean braiding my hair by itself, without extensions?

1 Like

Re: Are Ladies Still Plaiting Their Hair Or Is It Old School by sneha123(f): 5:54am On Jan 11, 2011
Hello TEE ZERO, Nice to meet you , Please i request you help and support me in this site, I hope you suggest my post, with regards sneha, Thanks lot in advance,

(1) (Reply)

Shoes, Shoes, Shoes For Sale / Wearing Designer Suit With The Label,is It Proper? / Meet The Miss Universe 2015 Contestants

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.