Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,608 members, 7,809,232 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:09 AM

Why Are Black Men Expected To Keep Their Hair Short? - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Why Are Black Men Expected To Keep Their Hair Short? (43262 Views)

10 Weird Things Females Apply To Their Hair / How To Grow Your Hair Longer Than Expected / Pls post hairstyles for Nigerian hair short/long (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Black Men Expected To Keep Their Hair Short? by Katyetye: 10:11pm On Dec 04, 2011
Why Is This?

Why are Black men expected to go out of their way keep their hair super short (to the point where it doesn't curl)? I've never understood why 90 something percent of Black men wear their hair at the exact same length like clones. White men with shaved heads are in the minority, when Black men wear their at the same length as the typical White guy, it's "long" and it's an "afro" (not counting those Blacks with straight or wavy hair). I could ask why Black women are expected to straighten their hair as well but that's a song that's played all the time. So, why is this, and why are Blacks so obsessed with policing other Blacks into maintaining conformity? It's expected of Whites and other non-Blacks to find tightly curled hair to be unattractive, and most do, but why do Blacks, and even if they do, which is their right and preference, why do they care whether or not other Black people wear their hair 'naturally'? These same people then go on about how 'proud' to be Black they are even though they dislike the natural hair texture of most Black people.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Black Men Expected To Keep Their Hair Short? by BABE3: 1:04pm On Dec 05, 2011
Too many questions. The "main" answer is Inferiority complex.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Black Men Expected To Keep Their Hair Short? by rikoko: 1:28pm On Dec 05, 2011
seriously, some questions dont have answers !
Re: Why Are Black Men Expected To Keep Their Hair Short? by Andrew3(m): 1:37pm On Dec 05, 2011
And how will you rate their look? If you like doing something because it looks good then nothing wrong with that.
The whites keep hair mostly as a culture and it looks good on them, so as the blacks. I look smarter when am on
Low cut, for that reason i maintain it.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Black Men Expected To Keep Their Hair Short? by Nobody: 1:38pm On Dec 05, 2011
I will say we are more sexy keeping our hair short or none atall
Re: Why Are Black Men Expected To Keep Their Hair Short? by 195(f): 1:39pm On Dec 05, 2011
^Look this coco yam head talking

U wen get dada angry
Re: Why Are Black Men Expected To Keep Their Hair Short? by buzugee(m): 1:42pm On Dec 05, 2011
who said black men are expected to wear their hair low ? black men wear their hair low voluntarily for a number of reasons
1, the shape of 90 percent of black mens head is such that the forehead slopes downwards and outwards. with this kind of head shape you look absolutely ridiculous with much hair. only black people with box heads (very few i may add like carlton banks and will smith) suit plenty hair.

2, the ones who go bald also look ridiculous with much hair so they cut it close to their head

3, after a certain age, say 30 years of age, you want to present an air of responsibility. you hardly look responsible with afro hair.

all in all, this has nothing to do with superiority, inferiority, color, expectations, demands etc etc etc. its all just circumstantial
Re: Why Are Black Men Expected To Keep Their Hair Short? by buzugee(m): 1:45pm On Dec 05, 2011
and white men on the other hand have red scalps. this is associated with femininity. hence a white guy does not look good with low hair. they either look like aryan nation members or chemotherapy patients. hence why they choose not to have low hair.
Re: Why Are Black Men Expected To Keep Their Hair Short? by jascon1(m): 1:46pm On Dec 05, 2011
is tough to answer. i grew up knowing that at least every month there is a barber waiting to chop my hair off and expect money for service. tho, i have seen some black men in suits with "relaxed(fried) hair" and they look apes. i have once plaited my hair. i can recall a point went i went to an area looking for a female salon so i can have treatment on my hair. the lady i asked pointed at a barbers shop and smiled in mockery of me. i wasnt asked to cut it down in 2weeks, but i did. that time, i garnered a lot of enemies.
so personally, i cant answer this question. maybe, u should ask barbers. they may give a better answer.
Re: Why Are Black Men Expected To Keep Their Hair Short? by purplekayc(m): 1:47pm On Dec 05, 2011
shocked shocked shocked inferiority? am confused!!
Re: Why Are Black Men Expected To Keep Their Hair Short? by jmoore(m): 1:48pm On Dec 05, 2011
cheap cost of maintaining the hair and to feel comfortable. I dislike spending minutes when combing my hair, that's why I keep my hair short. fashion dictates too, seeing pictures of my dad and his friends when they were young with afro, that was the fashion trend in those days.
Re: Why Are Black Men Expected To Keep Their Hair Short? by dangerzone: 1:48pm On Dec 05, 2011
go and ask google

1 Like

Re: Why Are Black Men Expected To Keep Their Hair Short? by obowunmi(m): 1:50pm On Dec 05, 2011
1. Its cheaper

2. It makes us look neat.

who wants to be twisting and braiding their hair every two weeks, rubbish!
Re: Why Are Black Men Expected To Keep Their Hair Short? by Nobody: 1:52pm On Dec 05, 2011
WTF! .', Like clones, '!! This forced conformity issue drives me nuts. Personally most of my fam think i've lost a nut for not doing things their way, what they dunno is me thinks they're weird; acting like their entire lives are scripted. My hair is certainly not crew-cut, it's fro and curly and it stays that way. @OP wonderful observation

1 Like

Re: Why Are Black Men Expected To Keep Their Hair Short? by Nobody: 1:55pm On Dec 05, 2011
190_@:

^Look this coco yam head talking

U wen get dada  angry

Seriously dude, why dont u contribute to a topic for once and stop saying craps all over the place, am looking for a black gateman in my duplex in dubai, u can apply, this will stop u from posting craps on this site
Re: Why Are Black Men Expected To Keep Their Hair Short? by Nobody: 1:58pm On Dec 05, 2011
Me self tire ohhhhhh, When i was a kid, i use to have a dream, to weave my hair when i grow holder, Like Sean Paul, But i just can't sad
Re: Why Are Black Men Expected To Keep Their Hair Short? by otokx(m): 2:02pm On Dec 05, 2011
Has someone thought about the tropical heat?
Re: Why Are Black Men Expected To Keep Their Hair Short? by BABE3: 2:10pm On Dec 05, 2011
purplekayc:

shocked shocked shocked inferiority? am confused!!

Why are you confused? Why is your head shaved? If you had oyinbo hair /"the good hair", would your head be shaved?

otokx:

Has someone thought about the tropical heat?

LOL. Scarcity of excuses/answers.

PS: The OP isn't talking about keeping long hair. He's/She's talking about "short" afros; like mine. grin
Re: Why Are Black Men Expected To Keep Their Hair Short? by Nobody: 2:10pm On Dec 05, 2011
There is this good feeling you get when you raise your hand and rub through your freshly cut and sharp looking low cut. It feels great and air easily flows through it. I don't know about other black men but having too much hair makes me uneasy and feels like a burden. Too much hair makes you look like a child while freshly cut and sharpened hair makes you feel mature especially if you are going to wear suits with it.

It has zero to do with inferiority complex but everything to do with masculinity. Too much hair is for women and looks rubbish on men. Oh and i like my african woman natural looking and no fake oyiboish looking wig, weavon and nonsense like that. Trust me, not every african girl is into oyibo sort of hair so just cross out the inferiority complex line.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Black Men Expected To Keep Their Hair Short? by nanidee(f): 2:11pm On Dec 05, 2011
There are so many reasons why black men wear their hair short, and NOTHING like inferiority complex.

For one thing though, braids or plaits don't really go well with the 'formal' setting in Africa. Afros are largely accepted, though.

In general, most black men look good with short hair.
Re: Why Are Black Men Expected To Keep Their Hair Short? by obowunmi(m): 2:11pm On Dec 05, 2011
@ OP concludes that the Black man had dada,  grin grin
Re: Why Are Black Men Expected To Keep Their Hair Short? by Godmann(m): 2:18pm On Dec 05, 2011
Katyetye:

Why Is This?

Why are Black men expected to go out of their way keep their hair super short (to the point where it doesn't curl)? I've never understood why 90 something percent of Black men wear their hair at the exact same length like clones. White men with shaved heads are in the minority, when Black men wear their at the same length as the typical White guy, it's "long" and it's an "afro" (not counting those Blacks with straight or wavy hair). I could ask why Black women are expected to straighten their hair as well but that's a song that's played all the time. So, why is this, and why are Blacks so obsessed with policing other Blacks into maintaining conformity? It's expected of Whites and other non-Blacks to find tightly curled hair to be unattractive, and most do, but why do Blacks, and even if they do, which is their right and preference, why do they care whether or not other Black people wear their hair 'naturally'? These same people then go on about how 'proud' to be Black they are even though they dislike the natural hair texture of most Black people.

You raised a serious intellectual question but there are few to appreciate the insight you wanted to bring. I hate keeping my hair low because I have noticed it has become an act that every body must conform to. I do go out at times without even combing my hair and I feel happy I am not bound by any useless standard. I am happy, I can go to work and earn a living without anybody seeking to mold me into any gentleman according to their dictate.

Was sick working in Bank because I have to wear suit even when the temperature is killing. Thanks God, I went back to my programming where we can afford to be called animals, but tolerated because we get the work done. The so called gentlemen card hardly be "gentleman" enough to understand a single line of code.

Feel free to express yourself the way you want. But be ready to pay the price, because the society have been made to act and behave in some ways without reason.

Can you dare being labelled a rebel; a non-conformist?

As for your answer: Never really saw it this way. I assumed all the old men I met at work try to hide their white and bard hairs by keeping it very low. I mean really very low. You know because of the hardship in niaja, all of us do not meet up in time and therefore will ever live in deceit of our real ages.

So in Naija, I use to believe it is because people wanted to look younger than their real age. But I have noticed that the handsome guys seems not to really care. The few that keep their hairs that I have noticed are usually handsome cool guys.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Black Men Expected To Keep Their Hair Short? by buzugee(m): 2:19pm On Dec 05, 2011
lol actually i was wrong in my description of the black mans head. what i meant to say is thaT most black mens hairline starts at a place where it will be ridiculous to have long hair.
Re: Why Are Black Men Expected To Keep Their Hair Short? by obowunmi(m): 2:21pm On Dec 05, 2011
buzugee:

lol actually i was wrong in my description of the black mans head. what i meant to say is thaT most black mens hairline starts at a place where it will be ridiculous to have long hair.

hahahahahahahaha! grin grin grin grin grin grin

ahahha, many are[b] BALD[/b], must they keep long hair by fire, by force?!
Re: Why Are Black Men Expected To Keep Their Hair Short? by Godmann(m): 2:25pm On Dec 05, 2011
Can ask a similar question that once crossed my mind? Why must we wear shoes to work in niaja even when sandal or good slipons can do? Is there any health or even fashion reason to be on shoes (just like suits and ties) than just to be seen to be civil?

The white manufactured shoes because of their bad snowy weather. We wear it (even when it damages our fingers) to look "cool" because we have been made to believe to look otherwise isn't cool!

It is all about indoctrination. Societal standard which are mostly not build on reason

1 Like

Re: Why Are Black Men Expected To Keep Their Hair Short? by jascon1(m): 2:29pm On Dec 05, 2011
let me remind u, there is nothing like the "African setting". Africans are colored ppl. we come in all. a part of Africa has caucasians as well.in african countries some dark-skin men are gifted with long hair. some even longer than their female counterpart. in history, kings in africa have been known to have long hair and that is part of their grace. is a thing of civilisation, i believe. becos if there were no razor, scissors or clipper we would look like black-oyibo or black-afin/obobo.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Black Men Expected To Keep Their Hair Short? by Nobody: 2:45pm On Dec 05, 2011
@BABE!, I luv your hairstyle. You re a beautiful confident black woman. I normally would not comment on someones look but it has become a rarity to find a blackwoman without those hideous wigs and attachments.
Re: Why Are Black Men Expected To Keep Their Hair Short? by antartica(m): 3:26pm On Dec 05, 2011
Do u mean long natural afro which is cool if a man doesnt find it uncomfortable? or drogba like greasy hair that makes him constantly look like a wet rat? That is why he is always doing the sign of the cross+ whenever he scores goal because he doesnt really know what it is all about. (Afanna na nwa na monsor) oyinbo slogan that they use to wipe out blackman vision and intuition.
Re: Why Are Black Men Expected To Keep Their Hair Short? by BABE3: 3:27pm On Dec 05, 2011
jerseyboy:

@BABE!, I luv your hairstyle. You re a beautiful confident black woman. I normally would not comment on someones look but it has become a rarity to find a blackwoman without those hideous wigs and attachments.

Aww. Tenk you very much. smiley
Re: Why Are Black Men Expected To Keep Their Hair Short? by lurkee(f): 3:42pm On Dec 05, 2011
I think a lot of men look better with a little hair on their head. I hate the haircut where reflections can be seen on the scalp. I don't like long hair on guy though (usually).
Re: Why Are Black Men Expected To Keep Their Hair Short? by showstopa: 3:44pm On Dec 05, 2011
@Godman,
Where did you fall out from?
I doubt that it's from a woman's kini  grin
The white man manufactured shoes cos of snow, smh
I stand to be corrected
Re: Why Are Black Men Expected To Keep Their Hair Short? by Nobody: 3:47pm On Dec 05, 2011
Most black men can't maintain their hairs when they over grown. And for another fact that woolly hair is strong and difficult to comb when it is long.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Cornrows (Hair Braiding) In Nigeria / See How Makeup Transform Women / Crazy Aso Ebi Styles: Who Is To Blame?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.