Stats: 3,154,856 members, 7,824,559 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:37 PM

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 - Travel (471) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 (1172436 Views)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 21 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (468) (469) (470) (471) (472) (473) (474) ... (723) (Go Down)

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by atiteb4: 1:25pm On Nov 02, 2020
Mideyo234:
My experience is in IT support and not specifically Network security.
I am still doing NYSC
Yes I have a certification in Cybersecurity that was referenced in my SOP
I gave my best reasons for why I wanted to study the course, probably wasn’t enough.
My home ties were also mentioned in the SOP.

What changes and additions can be made to address these concerns in my next application?

nice. Why not spread your wings to the UK?

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by vibrant99(m): 1:40pm On Nov 02, 2020
I wish I can delete this comment ....

The VO just denied him for deny sake ..

Guru abi guguru?

topacs:
I feel the visa officer just denied u for denying sake, nothing concrete or serious in his or her assessments, the reason given in GCMS notes are not reasons to deny anyone visa.

Moreso, if u study Computer Science and going for Cyber security then it's an error on the part of the VO to say ur proposed study isn't in line with ur background. Its well....

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Lekiboboe: 1:42pm On Nov 02, 2020
Dee4Doyinsola:
Thanks a lot, I will follow your advice.
You are welcome,

In addition to that,
endeavor to mention ur Application Timeline, your UCI number & Application Number

Also,
indicate in ur mail & Webform that your Application has exceeded Standard Processing Time

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Nobody: 1:43pm On Nov 02, 2020
Hmmm. I’ll think about it. Thank you!!

atiteb4:
nice. Why not spread your wings to the UK?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Nobody: 1:44pm On Nov 02, 2020
Lol relax. All advise and contributions are welcome. I took yours.. no?
vibrant99:

I wish I can delete this comment ....

The VO just denied him for deny sake ..

Guru abi guguru?

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by vibrant99(m): 1:59pm On Nov 02, 2020
Funny enough , I was not considering you would take it anyway, but the truth is that everyone here may have something close to your situation, it maybe for them not even you.

For someone to say what the VO said is baseless in your rejection shows complete ignorance of what the entire process involves ... if you have money to apply again please apply again, I will be here .

Mideyo234:
Lol relax. All advise and contributions are welcome. I took yours.. no?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Eilenora: 2:07pm On Nov 02, 2020
My fellow Fanshawe peeps, I just got confirmation from Fanshawe that they have obtained their approval and will be on the list tomorrow:

Hi Kemi,
The list will be updated tomorrow and we will be on the list.
We have the approval.
You need to wait for your study permit now.

Hopefully BVLs will rain on us subsequently.

We move.

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Dameelee: 2:12pm On Nov 02, 2020
yaaay, thats good news.
Thanks for the update.
Eilenora:
My fellow Fanshawe peeps, I just got confirmation from Fanshawe that they have obtained their approval and will be on the list tomorrow:

Hi Kemi,
We have the approval.

We move.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Backcheck: 2:43pm On Nov 02, 2020
Chocs:
Hello aminat2000,

4.03 out of 5.00 GPA is equivalent to 3.22 out of 4.00 GPA. You can use an online gpa calculator to do the conversion. If you can’t find any, I can share the one I used with you, just send me a private message.

All the best

Hello, actually this is not how it works. You cant just divide by 5 and multiply by 4, to get the Gpa. Each course has to be evaluated, right from 100-400/500 level.

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Ivygive: 2:44pm On Nov 02, 2020
Ivygive:
Possibly another masters because PhD is harder to get . It's not even available.
@@lekiboboe
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Dongatzby(m): 2:48pm On Nov 02, 2020
Hello guys, hope you are all having a lovely day. Let me start by encouraging everybody trying to leave Nigeria for one reason or the other. Do not give up, believe me, you will be glad you made this choice someday. It doesn't mean you are leaving your fatherland forever. You can always return home in a few years to start a nice business after accumulating experience and capital from outside the country.

I see someone is being advised to go to a smaller country to build his/her GPA first, hid their advice. I am a postgraduate diploma student in South Africa. I decided to come here first to build my GPA too, so it's not the end of the world. After my program here, I will then focus on other countries for a master's program.

Please my people what I need your help with today is about the differences between below and if possible with examples:
1) Statement of interest
2) Letter of intent.

I came across the above under a master's program requirements for supporting documents. Im trying to get my facts right before I submit nothing irrelevant.

Regards.

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Lekiboboe: 3:01pm On Nov 02, 2020
Ivygive:
@@lekiboboe
like you said initially, seems there is non, but I saw a program which u can google search on

- Masters in Real Estate & Infrastructure @ York University

Another option I tot of,
For PH.D,
why don't you look for Research areas in your field (Construction Management), search for Professors in Canada who are into it, look for their profile, mail them and show interest in their Research Areas by reading their Publications & Mail them.

Finally,

A PG. Cert is not your best option but seems like the only substantial available option (based on your field)

You can google the following Programs:

Residential Construction Management
George Brown College, Toronto, ON

Construction Management for Internationally Educated Professionals
George Brown College, Toronto, ON

Construction Management
Centennial College, Toronto, ON

Construction Project Management
Fanshawe College of Applied Arts and Technology, London, ON

Conestoga College, Kitchener, ON

Algonquin College, Ottawa, ON

Note that:
Since you alrdy have a MASTERS, and u wanna go for a Masters or PG. Cert in Canada, you seriously need to convince a VO in your SOP with cogent reasons why you are going for another Masters or Why u are going for a PG. Cert instead of a PH.D
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Akannitommy: 3:01pm On Nov 02, 2020
For the purposes of admission application, a statement of interest/purpose (SOP) usually has a word limit (for instance, at most 500-words), and key components required by the admission committee. Ideally, an intro and concluding paragraph with more independent paragraphs in between these addressing each of the key expectations of the application. The major difference between this and the letter of intent is that the latter is written in the form of a correspondence (letter) while the former is written like an article/write-up. These are my own views based on past experiences. I am sure more feedback will come on here to help you get clearer perspective.

Dongatzby:
Hello guys, hope you are all having a lovely day. Let me start by encouraging everybody trying to leave Nigeria for one reason or the other. Do not give up, believe me, you will be glad you made this choice someday. It doesn't mean you are leaving your fatherland forever. You can always return home in a few years to start a nice business after accumulating experience and capital from outside the country.

I see someone is being advised to go to a smaller country to build his/her GPA first, hid their advice. I am a postgraduate diploma student in South Africa. I decided to come here first to build my GPA too, so it's not the end of the world. After my program here, I will then focus on other countries for a master's program.

Please my people what I need your help with today is about the differences between below and if possible with examples:
1) Statement of interest
2) Letter of intent.

I came across the above under a master's program requirements for supporting documents. Im trying to get my facts right before I submit nothing irrelevant.

Regards.

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Layorealtor: 3:45pm On Nov 02, 2020
Hello!!!

I need assistance on how to apply for canada study Visa.
Lekiboboe:
Guidelines on How to write an SOP (Statement of Purpose)

Most important thing: Avoid Plagiarism

While writing SOP, the following things to be mentioned which will boost chances of convincing a VISA OFFICER and possibly getting a STUDY VISA APPROVAL are as follows:

First of all, write ur name, address and your e-mail address at the TOP far right corner of your SOP.

Your SOP will be addressed to the Deputy High Commission of Canada in NIGERIA

Full Name
Your Address
email address

To,
The Visa Officer,
Deputy High Commission of Canada
4, Anifowose Street,
Victoria Island,
Lagos, Nigeria

Statement of Purpose for Canada Study Visa

Dear Sir/Ma.,

1. Introduce yourself in first paragraph.
Write ur name (as written on your international Passport Data page) the qualification and Name of the program you are going for, the Program intake (Fall, Spring or Winter) and Program Duration.

Write, what kind of person you are, your interests and personality etc. This may also include one line background of work & study you did earlier. This should be related to the course your are going to pursue.

2. Explain what do you know about the area of study you are applying for.
Like HR, Marketing, Finance, IT, Multimedia, Engineering etc. Market trends, application of knowledge in work, organisations/roles where you can work after studying in this XYZ field and if possible, 1-2 real life example where you experienced this personally (in your current job or someone in family who works in this field etc.)This shows you are well read and know what you are getting yourself into.

3. Why this particular college/Univ. Explain ranking of the same or relevance of course being offered or if someone known is studying there etc. Mention positive points which you can gather from ex-student's testimonials and college website itself. Again, write in your own language and by your own understanding.

4. Why this Program in that School:
Mention why you chose this program. Explain how courses (subjects) of this course will help you in your career, how some of these subjects you have learnt earlier (basic knowledge) and need better and upgraded knowledge about these (especially if applying for PG/masters), explain application of subjects in real job scenario etc.

5. Why Canada.
Mention all points Canada is famous for like low crime rate, diversity (which helps in learning), livability and quality of life related statistics etc. Facts & figures help you here. Google a little

6.Travel history
If u av not travelled bfor, state the reason why u av decided to travel at this point of ur life, and how important the program is to ur career & personal development back home

7. Employment/Work Experience
Talk about your work experience here. Even if your NYSC PPA is the only place u have Work Experience in, talk about it.

8. Family Ties-Home ties
U can talk about how children are apparent to family inheritance, and how u are obliged to take care of ur family (parent and siblings). U can attach their birth certificates

Secondly, talk bout Landed Properties (Documents, deed of assignment, Deed of conveyance,survey plans and other important doc.) to of prove ur Hometies, also if you have a Job in Nigeria in which u gonna get back to after your study in Canada (Most Especially if the Job relates to the Program u are going for in Canada)

9. Proof of Means of Financial Support/Proof of Funds
Mention that you have paid ur tuition fee or made a deposit of ur tuition fee and so so amount has bin set aside by your sponsor for ur Tuition (if not yet paid), so so amount for ur One year Living Expenses (might be more than one year) and so so amount for ur flight itinerary.

10. Summarize with reason of coming back to home country (Future Goals/Career Prospect): Now summarize all details by mentioning your career goals and what will you do post completing this course. Mention how this course will help you in making your career in your home country. Be passionate about job market of your home country and coming back to your country. Because "You'll not leave Canada" is one of the biggest reason for Student Visa refusal.

11. Conclusion
U can end it like this or in ur own preferred sentence

Dear Sir/Madam, I hope that you will find all my documents in proper order and I kindly request you to process my visa application as soon as possible. I am very much thankful to you for giving me your valuable time to process my student visa application.

Your Sincerely,
Write ur name (As Written on your International Passport Data Page)

Note: Show proof (documents, picture ) on anything u talk about in ur SOP.

Hints on Writing an SOP (Courtesy domakavelliiiiiii)
https://www.nairaland.com/5818588/canadian-student-visa-thread-part/1#88913289

How To Write a Strong SOP
https://www.studyliveexploreca.com/study-plan-sop

VERY IMPORTANT CLUES TO NOTE WHEN DRAFTING UR own SOP
https://www.nairaland.com/2367106/travelling-canada-part-8/103#35275420
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Whispering: 3:51pm On Nov 02, 2020
Hello Rebecausoro,

Congratulations on your BVL and hopefully the PPR. Can you please post the Beijing address that you sent your enquiry to?

rebecausoro:
Those who are waiting for decisions should send webforms to the Beijing office. I did that last week. I sent like 3 sef. You can never tell.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Chocs(f): 3:51pm On Nov 02, 2020
A permanent resident can study in Canada if they desire.
Greatadams:

Don’t know if it what is called but I mean moving as permanent resident
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Chocs(f): 3:54pm On Nov 02, 2020
Hello,

Sorry to hear about your denial.

The VO is concerned about your poor grades and it seems your proposed course is not in line with your previous study and work experience.

Mideyo234:
Hello everyone. My gcms just arrived. I really don’t understand it, please advise on next steps.
My profile:
Applied for Post graduate certificate
Submitted all forms, bank statements and my mother’s bank statements(Sponsor is mother)
SOP
I submitted all that was required really.

Academic background and course for PGcert are both in Computer line.

Please help
@lekiboboe
@frankrobbn1
@everyone

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Chocs(f): 3:56pm On Nov 02, 2020
Hello Backcheck,

If they say you require an Average GPA of so so so. This is how it works! You can use a GPA converter to change it, which is what I did.

What you’re talking about is when it’s done course by course.
Backcheck:

Hello, actually this is not how it works. You cant just divide by 5 and multiply by 4, to get the Gpa. Each course has to be evaluated, right from 100-400/500 level.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Longjonjoe: 4:03pm On Nov 02, 2020
rebecausoro:
Those who are waiting for decisions should send webforms to the Beijing office. I did that last week. I sent like 3 sef. You can never tell.

What is webform please? Like an email?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Lekiboboe: 4:08pm On Nov 02, 2020
Layorealtor:
Hello!!!

I need assistance on how to apply for canada study Visa.
Hi

Go to the first page of this thread , and get information in how to apply for Canada Study Visa

Also,

Take your time & go thru the contents in the link below one after the other

CANADA STUDY VISA APPLICATION FULL GUIDE (D-I-Y) & other Useful Information pertaining to Canada Study Visa
https://www.nairaland.com/5818588/canadian-student-visa-thread-part/341#94059644

Then ask questions here in the forum on what u don't understand or not clear of, and members in house would respond

Good luck!
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Backcheck: 4:10pm On Nov 02, 2020
Chocs:
Hello Backcheck,

If they say you require an Average GPA of so so so. This is how it works! You can use a GPA converter to change it, which is what I did.

What you’re talking about is when it’s done course by course.

When they say you require an average GPA of so so so and its in percentage, you may do that.

But what I’m saying is Nigerian GPA of 4.02/5 does not necessarily equal to 3.22/4 as you converted
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Dee4Doyinsola: 4:11pm On Nov 02, 2020
Hi,
Thanks for your assistance, I'm grateful. I have sent the mail and webform to Nairobi. I was thinking do I have to send to the China office as well, since there are speculations that some applications have been transferred there?
Lekiboboe:

You are welcome,

In addition to that,
endeavor to mention ur Application Timeline, your UCI number & Application Number

Also,
indicate in ur mail & Webform that your Application has exceeded Standard Processing Time
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Lekiboboe: 4:16pm On Nov 02, 2020
Dee4Doyinsola:
Hi,
Thanks for your assistance, I'm grateful. I have sent the mail and webform to Nairobi. I was thinking do I have to send to the China office as well, since there are speculations that some applications have been transferred there?
You are welcome

Yes you can also send a webform & mail to the China Office, though it's a speculation but there ain't any harm in doing that

Google IRCC Webform - Beijing and do the needful,

then also send a mail to them as well

Chinese Office email
beijing-immigration@international.gc.ca

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Chocs(f): 4:19pm On Nov 02, 2020
It was converted with a standard GPA calculator, and if we are speaking generally, it’s equal to that. A few people I know have used it, and it was accurate, seeing that they got the admission.

If you don’t agree, state the equivalent and tell us how you arrived at it.

All the best
Backcheck:

When they say you require an average GPA of so so so and its in percentage, you may do that.

But what I’m saying is Nigerian GPA of 4.02/5 does not necessarily equal to 3.22/4 as you converted
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Sirromey(m): 4:52pm On Nov 02, 2020
Great news. Please after we all get our PPR it would be bad for all to connect before we go since we are going to same location
Eilenora:

Hi Kemi,
We have the approval.

We move.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by topacs: 4:59pm On Nov 02, 2020
But is having a poor grade now a criteria for denying visa, At least the school saw he met the requirements and gave him admission, even from the GCMS notes 50 to 60% is like a lower credit or and how is that a poor grade.

Secondly Computer science and a Networking experience is in line with cyber security or is it the fact that mother is a travel consultant and dad a business man?

Chocs:
Hello,

The VO is concerned about your poor grades and it seems your proposed course is not in line with your previous study and work experience.

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Nadheer15: 5:07pm On Nov 02, 2020
Hi guys,

I have a question, a friend of mine just got married to his fiancee. He did his masters in the UK whilst she did bachelors in Canada, she was in Canada before they met tho. He however wants to move to Canada for PhD and also be with his wife, would him indicating his wife is working in Canada influence a visa decision?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by JustMellow: 5:38pm On Nov 02, 2020
Nadheer15:
Hi guys,

I have a question, a friend of mine just got married to his fiancee. He did his masters in the UK whilst she did bachelors in Canada, she was in Canada before they met tho. He however wants to move to Canada for PhD and also be with his wife, would him indicating his wife is working in Canada influence a visa decision?

Hello Nadheer15,

It won't have any influence on it if he don't meet the requirements. His situation is not unique and there are thousands of similar profile application that would make the process very competitive.

He should do justice to his study plan.

All the best

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by dommakavelli: 5:39pm On Nov 02, 2020
Yes, it's in his best interest to mention it. But why would he want to apply for a study permit when he can apply for a spousal visa.

Nadheer15:
Hi guys,

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Backcheck: 5:41pm On Nov 02, 2020
Chocs:
It was converted with a standard GPA calculator, and if we are speaking generally, it’s equal to that. A few people I know have used it, and it was accurate, seeing that they got the admission.

If you don’t agree, state the equivalent and tell us how you arrived at it.

All the best

There is no way I can state the equivalent, since I dont know the individual course grade and Units. When I did mine, my 4.29/5 GPA was equal to 3.6/4. Using wes calculator. I also confirmed it using a excel spreed I did.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Ivygive: 6:02pm On Nov 02, 2020
I am very grateful for your kind assistance and praying for your testimony soonest. @lekiboboe
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Nobody: 6:06pm On Nov 02, 2020
Hello.

Thank you! So the thing is they’re actually in the same line, Computer Science and Cybersecurity

Chocs:
Hello,

(1) (2) (3) ... (468) (469) (470) (471) (472) (473) (474) ... (723)

USA Visit Visa Part 3 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration.

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87