Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,112 members, 7,814,902 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:42 PM

Top 13 Oldest Buildings In Nigeria And When They Were Built - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Top 13 Oldest Buildings In Nigeria And When They Were Built (3223 Views)

These Houses Were Built With MUD. Why Do We Waste Money On Cement? / Tallest Buildings In Port Harcourt: Pictures & Video / Most Expensive Buildings In The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top 13 Oldest Buildings In Nigeria And When They Were Built by gistyinka(m): 8:38pm On Apr 27, 2020
Architectural designs are some of the attractions that draw tourists into a country. And one peculiar thing about them is that they speak about the time they are built-in.

Some of the very revered buildings in Nigeria are Christ Church Cathedral in Lagos, Jaekel House in Lagos, Lagos Colonial Secretariat, first European storey building in Nigeria, Badagry, Kajuru Castle in Kaduna, Oba of Benin Royal Palace in Benin, and Lugard Hall in Kaduna.

1. Christ Church Cathedral, Lagos

The Cathedral Church of Christ Marina, Lagos is an Anglican cathedral on Lagos Island, Lagos.

The foundation stone for the first cathedral building was laid on 29 March 1867, and the cathedral was established in 1869.

2. Jaekel House, Lagos

Located inside the Ebute-Metta premises of the Nigeria Railway Corporation, Jaekel House is a restored colonial mansion.

It now serves as a railway museum and photo gallery of the NRC’s colonial era.

https://gyonlineng.com/oldest-buildings-in-nigeria/

Re: Top 13 Oldest Buildings In Nigeria And When They Were Built by Garrieveryday: 8:40pm On Apr 27, 2020
Following
Re: Top 13 Oldest Buildings In Nigeria And When They Were Built by gistyinka(m): 8:41pm On Apr 27, 2020
3. Lagos Colonial Secretariat, Lagos

The Old Secretariat was completed in 1895. It was built in the English architectural style along with a two-twin tower which serves as a guard-front for security.

It is by far the most imposing colonial building in Lagos

4. Holy Trinity Anglican Church, Ebute Ero

The Holy Trinity Church, Ebute-Ero, Lagos Island is the oldest church in Lagos. The church was first established as a mission station on Sunday 10th January 1852.

It was built by the early Anglican Missionaries and newly-converted locals.

Re: Top 13 Oldest Buildings In Nigeria And When They Were Built by Racoon(m): 8:42pm On Apr 27, 2020
-State House/NET Building Marina-Lagos.
-Cocoa House/Femi Johnson Building-Ibadan.
Re: Top 13 Oldest Buildings In Nigeria And When They Were Built by deadkamalu: 8:43pm On Apr 27, 2020
Not oldest buildings in Nigeria but oldest European styled buildings.

4 Likes

Re: Top 13 Oldest Buildings In Nigeria And When They Were Built by Racoon(m): 8:44pm On Apr 27, 2020
Thanks OP! This cathedral fascinates me a lot.I learnt Gen.Yakubu Gowon married his wife Victoria here.Pls who built this edifice?

Re: Top 13 Oldest Buildings In Nigeria And When They Were Built by DigitalBrands01: 8:45pm On Apr 27, 2020
Not sure if our politicians values Landmarks if not they will worshiping the opportunity given to them to serve

Anyway, I will Design a company Logo for 2k Only or Website for your Product or Company. Info below
Re: Top 13 Oldest Buildings In Nigeria And When They Were Built by christejames(m): 8:45pm On Apr 27, 2020
Keep them coming...

I love history!
Re: Top 13 Oldest Buildings In Nigeria And When They Were Built by Tpave(m): 8:46pm On Apr 27, 2020
Good one
Re: Top 13 Oldest Buildings In Nigeria And When They Were Built by christejames(m): 8:46pm On Apr 27, 2020
Keep them coming...

I love history!
Re: Top 13 Oldest Buildings In Nigeria And When They Were Built by Slawormir: 8:46pm On Apr 27, 2020
Damnnnnn niggarrr
Nice
Re: Top 13 Oldest Buildings In Nigeria And When They Were Built by majamajic(m): 8:46pm On Apr 27, 2020
Not oldest , but oldest landmark buildings
Re: Top 13 Oldest Buildings In Nigeria And When They Were Built by Nobody: 8:49pm On Apr 27, 2020
Oba of Benin palace is the oldest I think it's one of the oldest in West Africa..

I don't know why you didn't put it first

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top 13 Oldest Buildings In Nigeria And When They Were Built by gistyinka(m): 8:49pm On Apr 27, 2020
5. The First European Storey Building in Nigeria

The famous white one-storey building in Badagry was constructed by the Rev. Henry Townsend of the Anglican Church Mission Society (CMS) in 1845.

Located on the Badagry Marina

6. Mapo Hall, Ibadan

It may not look like it, but this too is one of the oldest buildings in Nigeria.

Built-in 1929, Mapo Hall has witnessed 87 years of Nigerian history from its vantage point at Mapo Hill summit, the highest point in the city of Ibadan.

7. St. George’s Hall, Lagos

This building is located on Broad Street and was constructed in 1907. It houses St. George’s Lodge No. 3065 of the global Freemason Order.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top 13 Oldest Buildings In Nigeria And When They Were Built by Karlifate: 8:50pm On Apr 27, 2020
Lagos...
The Centre of Excellence indeed.
Re: Top 13 Oldest Buildings In Nigeria And When They Were Built by Offpoint: 8:57pm On Apr 27, 2020
OK, let me grab some popcorn and learn new stuff
Re: Top 13 Oldest Buildings In Nigeria And When They Were Built by illicit(m): 9:01pm On Apr 27, 2020
I know all these places
Re: Top 13 Oldest Buildings In Nigeria And When They Were Built by okeyglm: 9:04pm On Apr 27, 2020
Ist modern house in nigeria was built in the 17th century at Arochukwu. Take correction mr op.

1 Like

Re: Top 13 Oldest Buildings In Nigeria And When They Were Built by Kinematics: 9:24pm On Apr 27, 2020
How did they come up with this?
Hope this is not Lagos media that bases all their findings in Lagos and tag it Nigeria.

Nonsense!

1 Like

Re: Top 13 Oldest Buildings In Nigeria And When They Were Built by Afospecialk: 9:58pm On Apr 27, 2020
Kinematics:
How did they come up with this?
Hope this is not Lagos media that bases all their findings in Lagos and tag it Nigeria.

Nonsense!

As expected as usual

Children of hate never consent to anything good from other region bcs they always expect bad news

Yoruba land is not ur fathers land mate

We are sophisticated not for mouth sake

Come to the Yorubaland and enjoy freedom of religion as it is practiced in developed countries which you can never enjoy in SS/SE or North

Come to the Yoruba land and enjoy freedom of political party as we embrace all parties without any hatred for any which you can never experience in the SS/SE only one way traffic party with hatred

Come to the Yorubaland and enjoy and enjoy true metropolitan freedom without any stigmatization or racism

We are never you mate
Re: Top 13 Oldest Buildings In Nigeria And When They Were Built by Kinematics: 10:15pm On Apr 27, 2020
Afospecialk:

[s]As expected as usual

Children of hate never consent to anything good from other region bcs they always expect bad news

Come to the Yorubaland and enjoy freedom of religion as it is practiced in developed countries which you can never enjoy in SS/SE or North

Come to the Yoruba land and enjoy freedom of political party as we embrace all parties without any hatred for any which you can never experience in the SS/SE only one way traffic party with hatred

Come to the Yorubaland and enjoy and enjoy true metropolitan freedom without any stigmatization or racism

We are never you mate [/s]

Out of point.

Re: Top 13 Oldest Buildings In Nigeria And When They Were Built by lammo: 10:21pm On Apr 27, 2020
[s]
Afospecialk:

As expected as usual

We are never you mate

[/s]
Re: Top 13 Oldest Buildings In Nigeria And When They Were Built by chubinwa(m): 11:04pm On Apr 27, 2020
Ancient and modern reversed buildings.
Re: Top 13 Oldest Buildings In Nigeria And When They Were Built by jamesversion: 11:07pm On Apr 27, 2020
omo, see that freemason logo well crested.
Re: Top 13 Oldest Buildings In Nigeria And When They Were Built by ruggedtimi(m): 12:48am On Apr 28, 2020
All the buildings in Lagos not possible...well there is an aluminium building and brick wall courtyard which was the trading Post/headquarters of the defunct United africa company (UAC, later Royal Niger company) at my hometown Akassa in brass lga bayelsa state...Which I am very sure was built before 1900.

Re: Top 13 Oldest Buildings In Nigeria And When They Were Built by yyba: 1:29am On Apr 28, 2020
Racoon:
Thanks OP! This cathedral fascinates me a lot.I learnt Gen.Yakubu Gowon married his wife Victoria here.Pls who built this edifice?
MUHAMMADU BUHARI built that edifice place.

(1) (Reply)

4 KITCHEN CABINETS FOR A CLIENT / Imported Split Air Condition Wall Bracket For Sale / Orange Ville Estate Ajah With CofO[Now N8m Promo]In Ogombo By Abraham Adesanya

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.