Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,725 members, 7,955,743 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 02:11 PM

For Or Against A Referendum Like What The Sudanese Did? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / For Or Against A Referendum Like What The Sudanese Did? (3145 Views)

About OEAS And Their Call For A Referendum / Lawyers: Can The UN Force A Referendum On Nigeria? / My Objective Take On The Sudanese President's Arrest - Cramjones (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

For Or Against A Referendum Like What The Sudanese Did? by panafrican(m): 5:13pm On Jan 09, 2011
Should there be a peaceful referendum on the birth of two nations in Nigeria, one christian and one muslim ? have your say.
Re: For Or Against A Referendum Like What The Sudanese Did? by Afam4eva(m): 5:15pm On Jan 09, 2011
I am for a referendum. Nigerians should vote to whether they want to remain Nigerians or have their own country.
Re: For Or Against A Referendum Like What The Sudanese Did? by ekubear1: 5:21pm On Jan 09, 2011
SNC first, I would suggest.
Re: For Or Against A Referendum Like What The Sudanese Did? by ShangoThor(m): 5:21pm On Jan 09, 2011
[size=18pt]Yes please.[/size]

Bearing in mind, if you vote against you are pro European superiority and confirm that they have the right to create our living space, a very simple argument.
Re: For Or Against A Referendum Like What The Sudanese Did? by monkeyleg: 5:24pm On Jan 09, 2011
Yes, Yes, Yes
Re: For Or Against A Referendum Like What The Sudanese Did? by Nobody: 6:12pm On Jan 09, 2011
Oh! May it be tomorrow.

A voice from Sudan said "I prefer to live in a small country with peace than in a large one at war".
Re: For Or Against A Referendum Like What The Sudanese Did? by EKONGKING: 6:20pm On Jan 09, 2011
yes yes its no brainer really cool
Re: For Or Against A Referendum Like What The Sudanese Did? by Olaedo1: 8:06pm On Jan 09, 2011
EKONGKING:

yes yes its no brainer really cool

Ekong, are you ibibio/efik?
Re: For Or Against A Referendum Like What The Sudanese Did? by EKONGKING: 8:08pm On Jan 09, 2011
EFIK cool
Re: For Or Against A Referendum Like What The Sudanese Did? by Akhenaten: 8:15pm On Jan 09, 2011
Yes, but I would just want an Igbo nation. So we can preserve our language and culture.
Re: For Or Against A Referendum Like What The Sudanese Did? by Olaedo1: 8:17pm On Jan 09, 2011
EKONGKING:

EFIK   cool

I love Efik. I'm even trying to capture this efik girl but she dey do shakara for me.with time i go get'am cool. Anyways my question is are what country,when nigeria splits,looking to join? Are you all still with the Biafra thing?
Re: For Or Against A Referendum Like What The Sudanese Did? by Becomrichn: 8:17pm On Jan 09, 2011
ff
Re: For Or Against A Referendum Like What The Sudanese Did? by EKONGKING: 8:38pm On Jan 09, 2011
Ola edo:

I love Efik. I'm even trying to capture this efik girl but she dey do shakara for me.with time i go get'am cool. Anyways my question is are what country,when nigeria splits,looking to join? Are you all still with the Biafra thing?
yes we r still with Biafra .There might have been minor misgivings with Igbos in past but we do like them so it no problem to live in the same country  smiley
Re: For Or Against A Referendum Like What The Sudanese Did? by Olaedo1: 8:48pm On Jan 09, 2011
EKONGKING:

yes we r still with Biafra .There might have been minor misgivings with Igbos in past but we do like them so it no problem to live in the same country  smiley

O ok, because anytime you ask an igbo about Ibibio/efik i.e. "Calabar people" they say they love you all and say you are their brothers. Anyways,by God's grace Biafra and other counrties shall come out of nigeria. smiley
Re: For Or Against A Referendum Like What The Sudanese Did? by JudgeDredd: 9:23pm On Jan 09, 2011
A referendum won't solve the anomaly we currently find ourselves in. Sudan lost six of her citizens (owing to religious skirmishes along the Abiye border) this very day in a bid to effect a referendum. A confederation is more apt (a test run), atleast till we fashion out how to co-exist independently and peacefully.
Re: For Or Against A Referendum Like What The Sudanese Did? by Olaedo1: 9:28pm On Jan 09, 2011
JudgeDredd:

A referendum won't solve the anomaly we currently find ourselves in. Sudan lost six of her citizens (owing to religious skirmishes along the Abiye border) this very day in a bid to effect a referendum. A confederation is more apt (a test run), atleast till we fashion out how to co-exist independently and peacefully.

Get out of here with that nonsense. Were we not living independently and peacefully before the illegal amalgamation? Confederation my foot.
Re: For Or Against A Referendum Like What The Sudanese Did? by JudgeDredd: 9:40pm On Jan 09, 2011
Ola edo:

Get out of here with that nonsense. Were we not living independently and peacefully before the illegal amalgamation? Confederation my foot.
I know your type, quick to flare up and slow to think. Pre amalgamation era had no OIL, no CIVIL WAR (with grudges in the heart of some peeps) and the state of the varios region was quite peaceful, can u reconcile that with present day Nigeria?
Re: For Or Against A Referendum Like What The Sudanese Did? by ShangoThor(m): 9:41pm On Jan 09, 2011
Becomrichn:

just remove edo,delta, bayelsa, into benin. the idea of a southern country is not possible. To many hundle to cross.  And who told you, we want to be part of a south republic. we want to join other yorubas in benin republic.  if the others want to come alone, they are allowed.

This is our position. we have no time for south republic. If you want to come to benin republic with us, say yes, or no period. we dont have time for any southern republic. If igbos want to come , come.

It is only people who dont know what it takes. that is dreaming of south republic. Republic of Benin. all status is there. we have the right too.

[size=18pt]@ BecomeRich[/size]

I seriously think you're wrong, misguided and naive even though I acknowledge that you are entitled to your opinion.

If you know anything about the involvement of the European powers on our continent, you'd know that the French would never let this happen.

The Yoruba in Nigeria are anglophonic and we have more in common and can accomplish more if we pool together with the our Eastern countrymen.

Similarly, it has to be acknowledged that there are minorities in the east that will object to being encorporated into a newly formed Eastern State.

My biggest concern is that by being too greedy and longing for the unattainable, we end up scuttling our only chance to secede from the North.

Logic should rule the day and not greed for an ideal state tied to ethnic polities.

[size=18pt] Please don't blow what might be our only chance or window of opportunity![/size]
Re: For Or Against A Referendum Like What The Sudanese Did? by Olaedo1: 9:44pm On Jan 09, 2011
JudgeDredd:

I know your type, quick to flare up and slow to think. Pre amalgamation era had no OIL, no CIVIL WAR (with grudges in the heart of some peeps) and the state of the varios region was quite peaceful, can u reconcile that with present day Nigeria?

You can not take away a people's right of independence.If they do not what to be in a country that they were not asked permission to be in, then they should not be forced to stay in that country.However, their country turns out, whether good or bad is their own business.
Re: For Or Against A Referendum Like What The Sudanese Did? by asha80(m): 9:47pm On Jan 09, 2011
JudgeDredd:

Forget this.It died with the aburi accord.
Re: For Or Against A Referendum Like What The Sudanese Did? by JudgeDredd: 9:55pm On Jan 09, 2011
Ola edo:

You can not take away a people's right of independence.If they do not what to be in a country that they were not asked permission to be in, then they should not be forced to stay in that country.However, their country turns out, whether good or bad is their own business.

Of-course, each region has a right to independence albeit it could end up disturbing the peace and stability of the various regions if rushed. Nigeria is on the brink of total collapse and all you can think of is breaking it up abruptly without considering the aftermath.
asha 80:

Forget this.It died with the aburi accord.

I see your mindset is just like your brother ola edo. Internet warriors, do remember to stick around when the shit hit the fan.
Re: For Or Against A Referendum Like What The Sudanese Did? by Olaedo1: 10:08pm On Jan 09, 2011
JudgeDredd:

Of-course, each region has a right to independence albeit it could end up disturbing the peace and stability of the various regions if rushed. Nigeria is on the brink of total collapse and all you can think of is breaking it up abruptly without considering the aftermath.

Are you aware that there are already state agitators that have already put together a governmental structure and are still implementing it as preparation of nigeria's separation? so what are you talking about with "the breaking up abruptly" thing?
Re: For Or Against A Referendum Like What The Sudanese Did? by JudgeDredd: 10:25pm On Jan 09, 2011
Ola edo:

Are you aware that there are already state agitators that have already put together a governmental structure and are still implementing it as preparation of nigeria's separation? so what are you talking about with "the breaking up abruptly" thing?

Is this governmental structure in tandem with reality? Which region goes with which or are we carving out 36 states from Nigeria? I'm not pessimistic, I'm for independence but I'd rather we approach it from a wholistic point of view.
Re: For Or Against A Referendum Like What The Sudanese Did? by Akhenaten: 10:28pm On Jan 09, 2011
Give me Liberty, or give me Death!
Re: For Or Against A Referendum Like What The Sudanese Did? by asha80(m): 10:29pm On Jan 09, 2011
JudgeDredd:

I see your mindset is just like your brother ola edo. Internet warriors, do remember to stick around when the poo hit the fan.

see this one.can't you from what said realise that though i am for it it might or never happen because this same arrangement you are advocating was tabled in the aburi conference but was rejected by nigeria and the follow up was the civil war.The poo already hit the fan.
Re: For Or Against A Referendum Like What The Sudanese Did? by JudgeDredd: 10:36pm On Jan 09, 2011
For chrissakes, the millitary were around and very much in control back then with vested interest/input from western nations, lack of awareness on the part of the general populace didn't really help as well.

We've got the chance to right the wrong this time around, we however should be careful lest we turn into another calamitious project of the west.
Re: For Or Against A Referendum Like What The Sudanese Did? by asha80(m): 10:41pm On Jan 09, 2011
JudgeDredd:

For chrissakes, the millitary were around and very much in control back then with vested interest/input from western nations, lack of awareness on the part of the general populace didn't really help as well.

We've got the chance to right the wrong this time around, we however should be careful lest we turn into another calamitious project of the west.

i hope you can get the northen part of the country to believe because quite frankly i do not think they warm up to confederation.
Re: For Or Against A Referendum Like What The Sudanese Did? by Becomrichn: 10:46pm On Jan 09, 2011
ff

Re: For Or Against A Referendum Like What The Sudanese Did? by Becomrichn: 10:56pm On Jan 09, 2011
ff
Re: For Or Against A Referendum Like What The Sudanese Did? by Eziachi: 11:23pm On Jan 09, 2011
EKONGKING:

Wow an Efik man!

My commanding officer in the Biafra army (Mr Henshaw) was EFIK. The most caring and loyal person I have ever met apart from my Mrs (LOL).
He was an ordinary primary school teacher before the war broke out, but during the war, you can never guess that he wasn't a professional soldier beforehand. A very brave soldier indeed.
I still remember him putting his life in line to save me on many occasions due to my age and youthful exuberance. The most vivid being at end of official hostilities, to make sure that I was safe, him deciding to walk with us for two days and nights from Obudu to Aba, most of the time walking right in the middles of dangerous thick forests for safety, because some overzealous Nigerian soldiers were executing Biafra soldiers (including my immediate senior brother) returning home on the roads for fun.  And from Aba, with two other guys from my Command Unit walked another four days to our respective towns in the present day Imo state and one of those guys I walked with is presently a well known German trained Orthopaedic surgeon based in Ikenegbu Layout Estate in Owerri .
I managed to get back in contact with Mr Henshaw after the war, when my parents went and paid him “A Thank You” homage at his home, in the suburb of Calabar for looking after me in the midst of many deaths and chaos. He went back to teaching and later taught for many years at University of Calabar.  However I successfully kept a good contact with him and his family till his death in 1997.  I attended his funeral along with my entire household. I love Efik people, if you gain their trust and confidence, nine out of ten, they will not let you down.

2 Likes

Re: For Or Against A Referendum Like What The Sudanese Did? by asha80(m): 11:29pm On Jan 09, 2011
Eziachi:

Wow an Efik man!

My commanding officer in the Biafra army (Mr Henshaw) was EFIK. The most caring and loyal person I have ever met apart from my Mrs (LOL).
He was an ordinary primary school teacher before the war broke out, but during the war, you can never guess that he wasn't a professional soldier beforehand. A very brave soldier indeed.
I still remember him putting his life in line to save me on many occasions due to my age and youthful exuberance. The most vivid being at end of official hostilities, to make sure that I was safe, him deciding to walk with us for two days and nights from Obudu to Aba, most of the time walking right in the middles of dangerous thick forests for safety, because some overzealous Nigerian soldiers were executing Biafra soldiers (including my immediate senior brother) returning home on the roads for fun.  And from Aba, with two other guys from my Command Unit walked another four days to our respective towns in the present day Imo state and one of those guys walked with is presently a well known German trained Orthopaedic surgeon based in Ikenegbu Layout Estate in Owerri .
I managed to get back in contact with Mr Henshaw after the war, when my parents went and paid him “A Thank You” homage at his home, in the suburb of Calabar for looking after me in the midst of many deaths and chaos. He went back to teaching and later though taught for many years at University of Calabar.  However successfully kept a good contact with him and his family till his death in 1997.  I attended his funeral along with my entire household. I love Efik people, if you gain their trust and confidence, nine out of ten, they will not let you down.

Dr Es-mo-n-?
Re: For Or Against A Referendum Like What The Sudanese Did? by Becomrichn: 11:29pm On Jan 09, 2011
Eziachi  , how old are you. ?

philip effiong was also on biafra side, akwa and Cross river state were on biafra side while bayelsa state was on nigeria side.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

PHOTO: Killer Of Lagos Lawyer,barrister Olakunle Fadipe Arrested / My Encounter With The Boko Haram Leaders - Asari Dokubo / Pastor Chris Oyakhilome Sacks Female Pastor As Divorce Saga Continues (DETAILS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.