Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,313 members, 7,864,487 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 07:11 PM

For Or Against A Referendum Like What The Sudanese Did? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / For Or Against A Referendum Like What The Sudanese Did? (3108 Views)

About OEAS And Their Call For A Referendum / Lawyers: Can The UN Force A Referendum On Nigeria? / My Objective Take On The Sudanese President's Arrest - Cramjones (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: For Or Against A Referendum Like What The Sudanese Did? by Dede1(m): 4:10am On Jan 10, 2011
ShangoThor:

@ Metalgoong
It serves no purpose to abuse and degrade the Yoruba because of what happened in the run-up to the war, it was never a them and us scenario, and you know it. Loads of Yoruba supported Biafra, but had to let logic prevail for self preservation reasons.

I put it to you that even though Ndigbo had a legitimate bonafide grievance, it was the wrong time to try to separate.
This issue was never about tribal ego's, it was about logic, it's time to put our differences aside in order to achieve the desired result.

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy , or just prepare your kids for perpetual subjugation,

There is no wrong time for any group of people on earth to sue for independent homeland. It is either you support the peoples’ effort or not. However, the people have every right to remember.
Re: For Or Against A Referendum Like What The Sudanese Did? by Dede1(m): 4:23am On Jan 10, 2011
I had preferred the Republic of Igboland. However, I shall still be joyously at home if the Ibibio, Annag, Ogoni and Ijo of former eastern region decide to join.

Also, I am sure an Ijo was present in P Street NW, Washington DC the day Biafran House was officially opened.
Re: For Or Against A Referendum Like What The Sudanese Did? by Akhenaten: 4:33am On Jan 10, 2011
I too prefer an Igbo Republic. It can help foster unity and preserve our language for future generations.
Re: For Or Against A Referendum Like What The Sudanese Did? by fstranger1: 4:37am On Jan 10, 2011
I am for anything , minus the Ibos

I think the rest of Nigeria can do without them Ibos

The SS, SW and North can stay together, Let Ibos leave!
Re: For Or Against A Referendum Like What The Sudanese Did? by Akhenaten: 4:44am On Jan 10, 2011
Sorry fstranger1, but if the Igbos leave, I am 100% positive that the Ibibio/Efik/Annang and Cross River communities will leave with them.
Re: For Or Against A Referendum Like What The Sudanese Did? by Olaedo1: 4:48am On Jan 10, 2011
Akhenaten:

Sorry fstranger1, but if the Igbos leave, I am 100% positive that the Ibibio/Efik/Annang and Cross River communities will leave with them.

Pretty much.
Re: For Or Against A Referendum Like What The Sudanese Did? by fstranger1: 4:52am On Jan 10, 2011
Akhenaten:

Why speak for them?

let them speak for themselves!
Re: For Or Against A Referendum Like What The Sudanese Did? by Olaedo1: 4:56am On Jan 10, 2011
fstranger1:

Why speak for them?

You are right. They've spoken for themselves.Go to the fist page and see my conversation with one.
Re: For Or Against A Referendum Like What The Sudanese Did? by fstranger1: 4:58am On Jan 10, 2011
Ola edo:

You are right. They've spoken for themselves.Go to the fist page and see my conversation with one.

Yeah right,

It is safe to assume that some deluded 16 yr old is capable of articulating the wishes and concerns of a whole ethnic group!
Re: For Or Against A Referendum Like What The Sudanese Did? by udezue(m): 5:45am On Jan 10, 2011
EzeUche is Ibibio. Half Ibibio and I am part Ibibio too
Willy Willy is Efik and YES WE ARE ALL FOR BIAFRA. cool
Re: For Or Against A Referendum Like What The Sudanese Did? by JudgeDredd: 7:53am On Jan 10, 2011
As absurd as this might sound, skirmishes with the North will be child's play compared to what will pan out in the event of a referendum that binds the whole south together.

- The south is disunited with Igbos still grieving even after inter-tribal marriages and several years of living in the midst of their purported Judas-like brothers (Yorubas)

- Niger-Delta wants (absolute if I might add) resource control, that urge can only get stronger with the Northerners gone.

- The polity dynamics changes totally with the split, in that the country or what's left of the country becomes fair game for the mischievous west or some jealous West African state a la Cameroon/France.

- How long before border line demarcation (Jos riots, oil well disputes et-al) plunge the nation into chaos once more? All it takes is scheming in the guise of some western nation trying to arbitrate.

I still propose a confederacy or a Federal government with a weak centre as a test run to work out modalities till we know how we want to split.
Re: For Or Against A Referendum Like What The Sudanese Did? by wilywily9: 9:45am On Jan 10, 2011
fstranger1:

Why speak for them?

Kackroach,
Immediately Ibos are leaving, We are leaving with them, but there must be agreement.
Re: For Or Against A Referendum Like What The Sudanese Did? by EKONGKING: 10:29am On Jan 10, 2011
fstranger1:

Why speak for them?

Ibibio/Efik/Annang will leave along with Igbos once the nation splits .
Its not the opinion of a 16 year old angry as u mentioned but the will of 90% of the people
Re: For Or Against A Referendum Like What The Sudanese Did? by TippyTop(m): 12:51pm On Jan 10, 2011
This is very belligerent coming from people who are minority in the scheme of things

Ibibio/Efik/Annang can go to hell who cares.

wily:wily:

Kackroach,
Immediately Ibos are leaving, We are leaving with them, but there must be agreement.

Its not like any one was begging you guys to stay is it? Do us all a favour leave now and don't wait for ibo's.
Re: For Or Against A Referendum Like What The Sudanese Did? by Eziachi: 8:14pm On Jan 10, 2011
Tippy Top:

This is very belligerent coming from people who are minority in the scheme of things

Ibibio/Efik/Annang can go to hell who cares.

Its not like any one was begging you guys to stay is it? Do us all a favour leave now and don't wait for ibo's.

The word minority was coined by those that stole what doesn't belong to them after the war. Before 1970, there were no such thing called minorities in the scheme of things in Nigeria. Minority surfaced along with such wicked designs as "Land Use Decree", "Boundary Adjustment" "Revenue Allocation" etc.
In real federated nation like the United Kingdom- I haven't heard the English refering Wales or anyone else as the minority in a supposed equal marriage. I haven't heard a man call one of his wife or her children in a polygamy- minority wife or children.
Re: For Or Against A Referendum Like What The Sudanese Did? by Missy85(f): 8:47pm On Jan 10, 2011
A Southern Nigeria' republic is a no no. Thats back to the same problems.

If full separation of relevant regions is not possiblee, perhaps we should stay where we are & try to fix the country through genuine federalism.
Re: For Or Against A Referendum Like What The Sudanese Did? by jason123: 9:09pm On Jan 10, 2011
Missy85:

A Southern Nigeria' republic is a no no. Thats back to the same problems.

If full separation of relevant regions is not possiblee, perhaps we should stay where we are & try to fix the country through genuine federalism.
Gbam! The republic has not even lasted on the internet.
Re: For Or Against A Referendum Like What The Sudanese Did? by Obiagu1(m): 10:33pm On Jan 10, 2011
It will be very difficult (near impossible) to separate the Igbos and the Yorubas in Nigeria today. Both don't kill each other like the North do to southerners. I think we have existed as Southern Nigeria before Amalgamation and can still exist at the demise of Nigeria.
But it has to be the same format, every region takes care of itself.
Re: For Or Against A Referendum Like What The Sudanese Did? by aljharem11(m): 10:37pm On Jan 10, 2011
Obiagu1:

It will be very difficult (near impossible) to separate the Igbos and the Yorubas in Nigeria today. Both don't kill each other like the North do to southerners. I think we have existed as Southern Nigeria before Amalgamation and can still exist at the demise of Nigeria.
But it has to be the same format, every region takes care of itself.

obiagu1, why does nigeria have to separate
Re: For Or Against A Referendum Like What The Sudanese Did? by Obiagu1(m): 10:49pm On Jan 10, 2011
alj harem1:

obiagu1, why does nigeria have to separate

Because Northern and Southern cultures cannot coexist peacefully. NEVER!
Re: For Or Against A Referendum Like What The Sudanese Did? by matazzmagi(m): 3:17am On Jan 11, 2011
It is only a nation like Nigeria that a group (northern oligarchs) would hijack a government, rape and oppress the people, issue empty statements through its officials every day for 50 years, showing utter disrespect and disregard for the citizens and yet some, with the evidence of what is constant for almost five decades, still deny the reality. Nigerians will remain slaves to the Islamic Caliphate as long as they choose to be. Biafra lives today and must be freed from its occupation.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Enugu Gov Family Disowns First Lady As A ‘witch’...says Wife Caused Cancer / The Execution Of "Doctor" Ishola Oyenusi - A Notorious Armed Robber - In 1971 / What Is This Nairaland 1and 2?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.