Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,686 members, 7,816,796 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:22 PM

Who Is The Best Nigerian President From 1960 Till Date? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who Is The Best Nigerian President From 1960 Till Date? (1739 Views)

2023: NGF Insists On Producing President From Fold, Takes On APC, PDP / Onochie: "Wailing Cannot Stop The President From Seeing His Doctors" / Nigerian Presidents/Heads Of State From 1960 Till Date (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Is The Best Nigerian President From 1960 Till Date? by Digitiminimi: 9:55am On Apr 29, 2020
A lot of things start running into my minds but a lot to consider before selecting one as preference.
Can I even say President UMARU MUSA YAR'ADUA?
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion o.

1 Like

Re: Who Is The Best Nigerian President From 1960 Till Date? by Victorycollins(f): 9:58am On Apr 29, 2020
Sani Abacha.....
I still miss him....
Rest in peace sir...

Please Join my TV
Click the link below to read more
https://regulartvshow./blog/

Thank me later!!
Please, ignore if you're not interested...
Thank you...
Re: Who Is The Best Nigerian President From 1960 Till Date? by sweettease(f): 9:59am On Apr 29, 2020
Olusegun Obasanjo, he had a tolerable balance of good and bad.

For me Yar'Adau wasnt there long enough for a full assessment.

6 Likes

Re: Who Is The Best Nigerian President From 1960 Till Date? by Nobody: 10:00am On Apr 29, 2020
If you ask me, none of them

The problem with Nigerian leaders is the way they run the economy.All of them ran the economy this way: they sold raw materials, whose prices they did not control, and used the revenue to import stuff at a value higher than the cost of the revenues from exports.

Yes, even during the first republic, all the regions ran economies based on exporting raw materials, and importing stuff.

Somewhere along the line, we never developed a productive ethos.

2 Likes

Re: Who Is The Best Nigerian President From 1960 Till Date? by kinglee007(m): 10:02am On Apr 29, 2020
You're shaking a table Oh!!! wink wink wink

1 Like

Re: Who Is The Best Nigerian President From 1960 Till Date? by Nbote(m): 10:04am On Apr 29, 2020
D best may b debatable but d worst is unarguably Buhari

5 Likes

Re: Who Is The Best Nigerian President From 1960 Till Date? by oz4real83(m): 10:07am On Apr 29, 2020
It is very hard to pick. Every successive Nigerian president has always succeeded in taking the country into deeper mess. For those saying Obj was the best, compare how Obj met the country in 1999 and how he left it in 2007, it was in a mess. The song "Nigeria jaga-jaga by Idris Abdulkareem gives a summary of how Nigeria was during Obj's rule. For those saying Gej, also compare all economic indices in 2011 and by 2015, it was also a mess. When PMB took over from Shehu Shagari and when IBB overthrew him, the country was in a mess. Compare when PMB took over in 2015 and now, bigger mess. With Yardua, I can still remember the "7 point agenda". None of the items on the 7-point agenda was fulfilled. I can still remember Nigerians crying for Yardua to focus on one or two items on his list instead of not doing anything on that list. For those condemning my opinion, study how most other civilised countries are being governed and draw your conclusion.

3 Likes

Re: Who Is The Best Nigerian President From 1960 Till Date? by DrPurple(m): 10:08am On Apr 29, 2020
kikero:
If you ask me, none of them

The problem with Nigerian leaders is the way they run the economy.All of them ran the economy this way: they sold raw materials, whose prices they did not control, and used the revenue to import stuff at a value higher than the cost of the revenues from exports.

Yes, even during the first republic, all the regions ran economies based on exporting raw materials, and importing stuff.

Somewhere along the line, we never developed a productive ethos.

Yeah, none of them really worth.

but the one who still try than others is;

Musa Yar'adua
Then
Goodluck Jonathan

3 Likes

Re: Who Is The Best Nigerian President From 1960 Till Date? by sweettease(f): 10:08am On Apr 29, 2020
Nbote:
Prior to his return to office, I bet a lot of people would have chosen him cheesy

1 Like

Re: Who Is The Best Nigerian President From 1960 Till Date? by lukui: 10:10am On Apr 29, 2020
The guy drawn on twenty naira

Please don't quote me!!!

1 Like

Re: Who Is The Best Nigerian President From 1960 Till Date? by Inspectorsuga22(m): 10:11am On Apr 29, 2020
I don't know who is the best buh all I know undisputably is that buhari will forever be the worst @sshole to walk into aso Villa...

2 Likes

Re: Who Is The Best Nigerian President From 1960 Till Date? by gidgiddy: 10:19am On Apr 29, 2020
lukui:
The guy drawn on twenty naira

Please don't quote me!!!

Murtala Mohammed was a terrorist
Re: Who Is The Best Nigerian President From 1960 Till Date? by Psalmy2cute(m): 10:19am On Apr 29, 2020
goodluck Jonathan

musa yar'adua

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Is The Best Nigerian President From 1960 Till Date? by Digitiminimi: 10:39am On Apr 29, 2020
gidgiddy:

Murtala Mohammed was a terrorist

1 Like

Re: Who Is The Best Nigerian President From 1960 Till Date? by Chikelue2000(m): 10:50am On Apr 29, 2020
Good luck had his misfortunes....he was soft...yet for me he remains d best....human rights respected....by d way d worse should be dis dullard on seat today...I still don't know what peeps see in buhari that I am not seeing

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Is The Best Nigerian President From 1960 Till Date? by Dogogo1900: 10:52am On Apr 29, 2020
Digitiminimi:
A lot of things start running into my minds but a lot to consider before selecting one as preference.
Re: Who Is The Best Nigerian President From 1960 Till Date? by Dogogo1900: 10:53am On Apr 29, 2020
Murtala Mohamed .

1 Like

Re: Who Is The Best Nigerian President From 1960 Till Date? by Akponmfet: 10:55am On Apr 29, 2020
Digitiminimi:
Re: Who Is The Best Nigerian President From 1960 Till Date? by Akponmfet: 10:55am On Apr 29, 2020
President Nnamdi Kanu.
Re: Who Is The Best Nigerian President From 1960 Till Date? by gidgiddy: 11:10am On Apr 29, 2020
Dogogo1900:
Murtala Mohamed .

Murtala Mohammed was one the most bloody terrorist ever produced in Nigeria.

The man was pure evil
Re: Who Is The Best Nigerian President From 1960 Till Date? by LarryBee1k: 11:41am On Apr 29, 2020
None!
Re: Who Is The Best Nigerian President From 1960 Till Date? by kingthreat(m): 12:05pm On Apr 29, 2020
Lets rate them based on issues

Foreign Policy: Obasanjo
Human Rights: Goodluck Jonathan
Military: Yakuba gowon
Corruption: Buhari
Economy: Obasanjo, IBB
One Nigeria: IBB
Sports: Abacha
Education: Shagari

Murtala was assassinated before he could make an impact. Yar Adua was too ill too. Abacha could have been remarkable but he was damn too selfish.
Re: Who Is The Best Nigerian President From 1960 Till Date? by Nobody: 12:36pm On Apr 29, 2020
kingthreat:

Murtala was assassinated before he could make an impact. Yar Adua was too ill too. Abacha could have been remarkable but he was damn too selfish.

Interesting, though I would disagree with thee small

1.Foreign policy: Obasanjo...okay, that's very true. (it should be noted that in the years after he left power in 1979 he built up a lot of contacts internationally in part thanks to his job in the 1980's in helping to end Arphateid)

2.Human rights : GEJ. : Although nicer than Buhari, GEJ too had his human rights issues. Army abuses in NE (which worsened the situaiton there), policemen invading the National Assembly, and the antics of a certain policeman by the name of Joseph.....

3.Millitary: Yakubu Gowon: Yes...but with a pinch of salt.(Some of the operational decisions, taken in the civil war eg the wasted time spent on capturing Onitsha).

4.Corruption: Buhari. Not exactly. No one has been jailed yet, and petty corruption is still an issue.

5.Economy: Obasanjo, IBB.: IBB had a good economy from 1986-88...when he did things right(including partially removing subsides on fuel). But then we went back to the old ways in 1988...

Plus in 1991-2 under IBB, due to rises in oil prices occasioned by the Gulf War 1, we had a small economic boom.

Obasanjo too had oil price rises from 2003 onward...PLUS....he did somethings right..and again with the aid of NOI negotiated debt relief.

BUT...our economy STILL remained dependent on oil which is why both men , all things considered, were bad leaders economically. As have been all Nigerian leaders.

6.One Nigeria: IBB...Not exactly. Between 1985-90 , Nigeria went through some bad religous crisis that nearly tore our country apart. 1993 too was a bad year. August in particular was very worrisome. (Yakubu Gowon deserves the accolade more, just saying).

7.Sports: Abacha: : I disagree. Yes, we won Nations Cup and Atlanta olympic gold medal....BUT....any victories we won in sport was as a result of the massive investment in youth sports from the 1970's ..especially in states like the old Bendel state . All our sporting achievements in the 1980's and 90'S came out of that. Abacha did not keep up the investment. That's why we find it difficult to win anything (except in football)

8.Education: Shagari: Really? Shagari executed no major reforms, and 6334 was an initiative of the Murtala/Obasanjo regime.

3 Likes

Re: Who Is The Best Nigerian President From 1960 Till Date? by sevenhundred(m): 12:37pm On Apr 29, 2020
kingthreat:

Abacha is very active in term of security.
Re: Who Is The Best Nigerian President From 1960 Till Date? by Corporate2020: 12:46pm On Apr 29, 2020
Nbote:

Yes Buhari is the worst. Yet he built the following among others.

Lagos-Ibadan Expressway
Lagos-Abeokuta-Ibadan Railway
Ajaokuta-Itakpe-Warri Railway
Apapa-Oshodi-Iyana_Oworo Expressway
Oyo-Ogbomoso Expressway
Completed Kaduna-Abuja Railway
Remodeled several international airports
Vigorously building 2nd Niger Bridge

Tell me, what have successive governments from Tafawa Balewa up to Goatluck Jonaddaft built from 1960 to date?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Is The Best Nigerian President From 1960 Till Date? by sevenhundred(m): 1:01pm On Apr 29, 2020
let us based it on achievement during their tenure 1, queen Elizabeth 11,she stabilize Nigeria polictics and hand over 2,NNAMDI azikiwe he has only ceremonial power, 3,aguiyi ironsi he has a very short tenure, 4yakubu Gowon due to lack of charisma to lead at his age, Nigeria starts a needless war, 5 murtala he has a good intentions but lack patience and fails to listen to advice, 6 obj .................
Re: Who Is The Best Nigerian President From 1960 Till Date? by kingthreat(m): 1:15pm On Apr 29, 2020
kikero:

1.Foreign policy: Obasanjo...okay, that's very true. (it should be noted that in the years after he left power in 1979 he built up a lot of contacts internationally in part thanks to his job in the 1980's in helping to end Arphateid)

2.Human rights : GEJ. : Although nicer than Buhari, GEJ too had his human rights issues. Army abuses in NE (which worsened the situaiton there), policemen invading the National Assembly, and the antics of a certain policeman by the name of Joseph.....

3.Millitary: Yakubu Gowon: Yes...but with a pinch of salt.(Some of the operational decisions, taken in the civil war eg the wasted time spent on capturing Onitsha).

4.Corruption: Buhari. Not exactly. No one has been jailed yet, and petty corruption is still an issue.

5.Economy: Obasanjo, IBB.: IBB had a good economy from 1986-88...when he did things right(including partially removing subsides on fuel). But then we went back to the old ways in 1988...

Plus in 1991-2 under IBB, due to rises in oil prices occasioned by the Gulf War 1, we had a small economic boom.

Obasanjo too had oil price rises from 2003 onward...PLUS....he did somethings right..and again with the aid of NOI negotiated debt relief.

BUT...our economy STILL remained dependent on oil which is why both men , all things considered, were bad leaders economically. As have been all Nigerian leaders.

6.One Nigeria: IBB...Not exactly. Between 1985-90 , Nigeria went through some bad religous crisis that nearly tore our country apart. 1993 too was a bad year. August in particular was very worrisome. (Yakubu Gowon deserves the accolade more, just saying).

7.Sports: Abacha: : I disagree. Yes, we won Nations Cup and Atlanta olympic gold medal....BUT....any victories we won in sport was as a result of the massive investment in youth sports from the 1970's ..especially in states like the old Bendel state . All our sporting achievements in the 1980's and 90'S came out of that. Abacha did not keep up the investment. That's why we find it difficult to win anything (except in football)

8.Education: Shagari: Really? Shagari executed no major reforms, and 6334 was an initiative of the Murtala/Obasanjo regime.

You are right. Fact is that we have had bad and inept leaders all through. But if they were totally bad, we wont be having tarred roads or electricity right and other small things we at least benefit from. So i had to find some credit to give to the most deserving of some issues. I intentionally avoided infrastructure as I am not so knowledgeable on that.
Re: Who Is The Best Nigerian President From 1960 Till Date? by Dogogo1900: 1:32pm On Apr 29, 2020
gidgiddy:

Murtala Mohammed was one the most bloody terrorist ever produced in Nigeria.

The man was pure evil
Re: Who Is The Best Nigerian President From 1960 Till Date? by Dogogo1900: 1:32pm On Apr 29, 2020
Your opinion buddy.
Re: Who Is The Best Nigerian President From 1960 Till Date? by dignity33: 2:01pm On Apr 29, 2020
ABACHA
Re: Who Is The Best Nigerian President From 1960 Till Date? by Nobody: 2:54pm On Apr 29, 2020
sweettease:
Olusegun Obasanjo, he had a tolerable balance of good and bad.

For me Yar'Adau wasnt there long enough for a full assessment.

Isi tolerance....
What if Odi. shocked grin
The guy no pity Odi people.
Re: Who Is The Best Nigerian President From 1960 Till Date? by Digitiminimi: 4:06pm On Apr 29, 2020
kikero:

(1) (2) (Reply)

Oby Ezekwesili Tells Hotel Owner To Sue Governor Wike For Demolition Of His Hote / I will kill obi of onitcha and Uche mefor - IPOB member VIDEO / Aba North & South By-election: Orji Uzor Kalu Arrested In Aba

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.