Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,461 members, 7,954,810 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 09:53 AM

Laura Bush Visits Nigeria - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Laura Bush Visits Nigeria (1366 Views)

Mariah Carey Visits Nigeria / 'bush Baby' Real Or Myth? / Ever Heard A Bush Baby's Cry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Laura Bush Visits Nigeria by oasis: 12:25am On Jan 26, 2006
http://abuja.usembassy.gov/wwwhlaurabushmain.html

"I met earlier this morning with President Obasanjo who stood with President Bush and Kofi Annan in the Rose Garden in Washington, D.C., as they announced the Global Fund for AIDS. He has been a partner all along in trying to get treatment to as many people as possible in Nigeria to stop the spread of AIDS and to treat people so people can live a normal life with AIDS... "
—First Lady Laura Bush at a visit to St. Mary's Hospital in Gwagwalada, Nigeria Wednesday, Jan. 18, 2006
Re: Laura Bush Visits Nigeria by Seun(m): 12:33am On Jan 26, 2006
Laura Bush welcome o. So what did you come to Nigeria for?
Re: Laura Bush Visits Nigeria by hotangel2(f): 12:36am On Jan 26, 2006
[img]http://www.whitehouse.gov/firstlady/photoessays/westafrica/3/images/p011806sc-0445-398h.jpg[/img]
Laura Bush and her daughter Barbara Bush pose for a photo with some of the staff at St. Mary's Hospital, Wednesday, Jan. 18, 2006 in Gwagwalada, Nigeria. White House photo by Shealah Craighead
[img]http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2006/01/images/20060118-2_p011806sc-0912jpg-250h.jpg[/img]
Mrs. Bush's Remarks at the National Center for Women Development in Nigeria
Abuja, Nigeria

2:20 P.M. (Local)

MRS. BUSH: Thank you very much. And thanks to everyone who is here today. I want to thank Mrs. Ciroma, Minister of Women's Affairs. Thank you for your very kind introduction. I want to thank everyone in Nigeria for their very, very warm welcome. I want to acknowledge the Minister of Education Madam Obaji for accompanying me today. She accompanied me everywhere we went. Thank you very much for joining me today. The Minister of Finance, who joined me at the roundtable today, and educated me a lot about what women can do in this role of finance, thank you very much for joining me today. And the Minister of Health, thank you very much for being here.

click to read more

Amazing!
Re: Laura Bush Visits Nigeria by bebe6(f): 1:34am On Jan 26, 2006
Upset with the Bush administration at this time so I will hold my comments lipsrsealed

I am just happy that there are others who have joined in and are making efforts to fight for the reduction in cost for medicine for those who have fallen victim to this dreadful disease.
Re: Laura Bush Visits Nigeria by oasis: 10:28pm On Jan 26, 2006
b_e_b_e, what comments do you have about Bush's administration?
Re: Laura Bush Visits Nigeria by vickybabe(f): 12:46am On Jan 27, 2006
say what?
Re: Laura Bush Visits Nigeria by bebe6(f): 1:06am On Jan 27, 2006
Personally, I don't like the way that the administration is being run.  There have been a lot of senseless bloodshed just because of personal feelings demonstrated by the president.  Oh, he will say that they were looking for weapons of mass destruction (please!)......it was all because of how his father was treated when he was in office.  He even made the comment that noone messes with his father.  Is this a reason to send soldiers young and old, male and female into war over feelings?  

And to think, his family is friends (come out to the white house and mingle type friends) with the Bin Laden family..........hmmmmm  Yet, he can't find Osama Bin Laden?  Politics can be so corrupt and full of deceit.  He obtained his administration deceitfully and underhandedly; therefore, his time of service will not be effective (and it shows).  

Furthermore, during the Hurricane Katrina devastation he didn't even show concern until he was getting talked about on the news..........then he wants to step up and be "Mr. President"?  C'mon, do your job all the time and not when you feel it's necessary just to save face.

I just don't trust them (politicians).  Too many lies, too many broken promises, too many unnecessary changes....etc...............the list can go on for days.  

Why would you keep students from graduating after twelve years of education (K-12) just because of a biased standardized test that has been formulated by flunkies who could care less about what really goes on in the school system academically?  Yes, students should acquire certain skills, but should they be punished for not being taught those skills?  All that is being taught in the educational system now is how to pass a standardized test.  What ever happened to the basic foundation that these children need?

You want a productive society that respects your decisions, but you don't even make decisions that are honorable enough for respect?  I could continue to vent, but all I can do is continue to pray for our leadership to have a better understanding of life's issues, seek wisdom in everything that is done, and not forget about the American people in times of need.

Bottom line..........when you are right I support you, but when you're wrong I will not uphold your wrong doings.

So, oasis..........that's just a few things. Hope I cleared that up for you smiley
Re: Laura Bush Visits Nigeria by oasis: 1:42am On Jan 27, 2006
When compiling a report card for a given administration, it's hard not to find proponents and antagonists of any particular policy.

Clinton was soft on terrorism.  During his administration, terrorism was commonplace.  But with Bush, it's the terrorists who are running and hidding for their lives.  Terrorism has not been eradicated, but it sure has been curtailed.

So what have we learned?  We've learned that no matter what you do, you're never going to get rid of religious zealots whose sole aim is to advanced the twisted interpretations of their Holy book.  However, with enough action, you can keep terrorists at bay.

France just announced that it'd nuclear bomb any body that attacks it.  That's the kind of action that terrorists understand.  Fire for fire.  Perhaps that's why Bush has been so tough.  That's the way I choose to see it, rather than attribute it to some vendetta he's been harboring from the days of his father's presidency.

What do you think?
Re: Laura Bush Visits Nigeria by bebe6(f): 4:00am On Jan 27, 2006
See, this is why I love Nairaland so much.  Here we have two different points of views, yet there is still room for food for thought smiley  You have made some very valid points and I respect your thoughts; however, I still stand on the words that I expressed.  

Well, I'm not one big on debating politics but I must say that you have sparked a little something inside of me to want to be more expressive on the subject smiley

Question:  Why do you think he took focus off of Osama Bin Laden after he orchestrated such a brutal attack on the US? It's just unbelievable to me that focus was taken off of this matter.  Now, all of a sudden they want to focus on him again........hmmm, could it be because he has threatened the US yet again?  Why couldn't a search for Bin Laden continue all along in an effort to prevent such happenings?  Prevent (maybe that's not a feasible word at this point), but atleast cushion all that he has talked of doing by seizing him and/or some of his prominent leaders.  The twin tower situation was heartbreaking because it didn't have to be as it was.

All I'm saying is.............I don't agree with some of the decisions he made that has lead to so much bloodshed.  I don't have a problem with war when it's necessary, but I have a problem with it when it could have been avoided.  All of this because of weapons of mass destruction that they didn't even find angry  Precautionary efforts (applauds them), but still say it was a premature act.  He acted too swiftly (my opinion).  All the bloodshed just breaks my heart cry cry

France just announced that it'd nuclear bomb any body that attacks it.  That's the kind of action that terrorists understand.
I have no problem with retaliation when there is a valid cause.

So what have we learned?  We've learned that no matter what you do, you're never going to get rid of religious zealots whose sole aim is to advanced the twisted interpretations of their Holy book.  However, with enough action, you can keep terrorists at bay.
I agree with the first part of your statement; however, I have to disagree with the second part.  Keep terrorist at bay...........you really think this is possible?  

Awaits your response.......... smiley  Oh, you're good to get me to speak on political issues (applauds u).
Re: Laura Bush Visits Nigeria by oasis: 7:40am On Jan 27, 2006
Well, I'm not one big on debating politics but I must say that you have sparked a little something inside of me to want to be more expressive on the subject

I'm not a political buff myself, but I do engage in rational debates now and again.

I agree with the first part of your statement; however, I have to disagree with the second part.  Keep terrorist at bay...........you really think this is possible? 

Terrorists need money to operate.  Track their assets around the globe and freeze it.  That hinders them quite a bit.  Also, stringent scrutiny of their movement around the world renders them ineffective.  That is why most of the terrorist acts we've seen since 911 have been for the most part, geographically limited to the middle east.

You mentioned earlier that you don't trust any polician.  Neither do I.  The statement "honest politician" is an oxymoron.  So like you, I don't trust anything a politician says.  He'd say just about anything to pander to your votes. 

You're also correct about the bloodshed part.  But look at it this way: if Bush hadn't gone into Iraq, Saddam would've slaughtered just as many people.  Don't forget what a brutal dictator he was.  He was a man who lived in opulence, while his citizens starved.  He employed torture against his enemies, and chopped them into pieces when he felt any kind of threat looming.

Speaking of WMD, why did Saddam keep living under the veil of having WMD?  For years on end he would invite weapons inspectors in, just to send them packing at a moment's notice.  So whether or not WMD was found by Bush is a moot point.   Any rational person knows Saddam provoked it by breaking International laws.  Had he opened his doors to unfettered inspection, there'd never have been any excuse to overthrow him.  Iran is next in line if it doesn't end its current nuclear program.

So, be it as it may that Bush's policy on Iraq has cost so many lives, I feel the world at large is safer today without Saddam Hussein.

Don't get me wrong.  I'm not a Bush apologist.  God knows I hate a lot of his policies, especially the way he's turned a blind eye to latino invasion of America.  But when it comes to taking tangible action against terrorism, nobody can accuse him of sleeping behind the wheel.
Re: Laura Bush Visits Nigeria by bebe6(f): 7:54am On Jan 27, 2006
*Hugs you and says it was a pleasure* kiss

What shall we debate about next? Just kidding tongue

(1) (Reply)

Please I Need The Address Of These Companies / Total Nigeria Recruiting Production Operator Trainees / Buharism: Economic Theory And Political Economy- By Sanusi Lamido(july 2002)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.