Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,727 members, 7,827,643 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 02:40 PM

Breaking News: Facebook To Shut Down In March, Yuwie Takes Over And Pays You - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Breaking News: Facebook To Shut Down In March, Yuwie Takes Over And Pays You (2404 Views)

Abacha, Abdulsalami Abubakar & Pope John Paul In March 1998 / Senate To Pass 2016 Budget In March - Ndume / Rivers Governorship Rerun: A Golden Opportunity To Shut The Mouth Of APC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Breaking News: Facebook To Shut Down In March, Yuwie Takes Over And Pays You by bestads(m): 12:49am On Jan 10, 2011
it is hot in the news that FACEBOOK will shutdown on March 15th this year ,but a new social networking website which pays members for their browsing is poised to take over.

http://weeklyworldnews.com/headlines/27321/facebook-will-end-on-march-15th
Re: Breaking News: Facebook To Shut Down In March, Yuwie Takes Over And Pays You by bestads(m): 12:51am On Jan 10, 2011
bestads:

it is hot in the news that FACEBOOK will shutdown on March 15th this year ,but a new social networking website which pays members for their browsing is poised to take over.

http://weeklyworldnews.com/headlines/27321/facebook-will-end-on-march-15th

the new social networking giant that will pay its members is at http://r.yuwie.com/eugyno better join now and invite your friends
Re: Breaking News: Facebook To Shut Down In March, Yuwie Takes Over And Pays You by bestads(m): 5:15am On Jan 10, 2011
i have started removing my pictures already some people that made fb their family album will loose all their pix and vid
Re: Breaking News: Facebook To Shut Down In March, Yuwie Takes Over And Pays You by Jakumo(m): 5:33am On Jan 10, 2011
I will NEVER fathom the purpose of Facebook and TWITter, other than to provide identity thieves with all they could ever need to empty bank accounts and destroy lives.   

I don't require the internet to make friends, since I have more than I need anyway in real life.  It will be a cold day in hell before I ever disclose a single personal detail on the internet, but even if I did, all the information I volunteer would be deliberately misleading and entirely false in every regard.
Re: Breaking News: Facebook To Shut Down In March, Yuwie Takes Over And Pays You by bestads(m): 6:25am On Jan 10, 2011
jakumo i agree that we have enough friends offline,what of your old school mates 20yrs ago,u meet them on fb
Re: Breaking News: Facebook To Shut Down In March, Yuwie Takes Over And Pays You by Jakumo(m): 6:37am On Jan 10, 2011
20 years ago I was just a sparkle in my mom's eye, Bestad, doing circular laps in the amniotic fluid of her pregnancy, and wondering why it was so dark in there.
Re: Breaking News: Facebook To Shut Down In March, Yuwie Takes Over And Pays You by bestads(m): 6:49am On Jan 10, 2011
fb has been a place where i reconnected with old friends and i advertised my biz with fb. a biz i started with N15K
Re: Breaking News: Facebook To Shut Down In March, Yuwie Takes Over And Pays You by tpia6: 7:06am On Jan 10, 2011
Re: Breaking News: Facebook To Shut Down In March, Yuwie Takes Over And Pays You by Jakumo(m): 7:08am On Jan 10, 2011
Stop trying to corrupt my youthful innocence, Tpia. I will not tolerate that.
Re: Breaking News: Facebook To Shut Down In March, Yuwie Takes Over And Pays You by slap1(m): 7:31am On Jan 10, 2011
Specious piece of information but I don't care much, either way.
Re: Breaking News: Facebook To Shut Down In March, Yuwie Takes Over And Pays You by bestads(m): 7:32am On Jan 10, 2011
tpia*:

jakumo is claiming 20.

alright, i'm 50.

as for facebook, the story is a hoax but i try not to do too much there anyway. Too much meaning not going overboard.

i enjoy the site though.

Tpia if you say the story is a hoax please provide the proof just as i did in providing the web link

anyway you are all welcomed to join http://r.yuwie.com/eugyno where you are paid for browsing and networking with your friends
Re: Breaking News: Facebook To Shut Down In March, Yuwie Takes Over And Pays You by jaybee3(m): 7:39am On Jan 10, 2011
^^^^
Do you realise FB just received a market valuation of $50bn with investments from Goldman Sachs last week?
FB was the hot topic throughout last week on economic/market channels.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/facebook/8237680/Goldmans-50bn-valuation-of-Facebook-could-make-2011-the-year-the-site-changes-status.html
Re: Breaking News: Facebook To Shut Down In March, Yuwie Takes Over And Pays You by Oba234: 7:55am On Jan 10, 2011
please stop with the rumor. Who is going to shut down Facebook? Do you realize facebook is?
Re: Breaking News: Facebook To Shut Down In March, Yuwie Takes Over And Pays You by Xomba(m): 8:45am On Jan 10, 2011
Good development.
Re: Breaking News: Facebook To Shut Down In March, Yuwie Takes Over And Pays You by violent(m): 10:20am On Jan 10, 2011
What a piece of Junk!

People peddling wrong information for their own gains! mega crap!

Anyone with two little cells that forms a tiny brain, big enough to process the simplest basic information, should know that a site valued at over 50 Bn dollars will not just shut down simply because managing the site is "stressful"
Re: Breaking News: Facebook To Shut Down In March, Yuwie Takes Over And Pays You by TippyTop(m): 11:37am On Jan 10, 2011
I knew this was a hoax but for boredom purpose I went to the above link and here are some of their headlines:
o MEGAN FOX IS A MAN!
o MICHAEL JACKSON FAKED HIS OWN DEATH?
o ALIEN SPACESHIPS TO ATTACK EARTH IN 2011

And check Mr 419's (AKA bastads ) website and you would see "GET A VISA CARD IN 24HRS"

QUESTION:
Why has MOD not remove this thread to the recycled bin?
Re: Breaking News: Facebook To Shut Down In March, Yuwie Takes Over And Pays You by redsun(m): 12:12pm On Jan 10, 2011
Sites like FB echoes 15 minutes fame of andy wohol,crazy rush for publicity
Re: Breaking News: Facebook To Shut Down In March, Yuwie Takes Over And Pays You by violent(m): 12:23pm On Jan 10, 2011
jay bee:

^^^^
Do you realise FB just received a market valuation of $50bn with investments from Goldman Sachs last week?
FB was the hot topic throughout last week on economic/market channels.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/facebook/8237680/Goldmans-50bn-valuation-of-Facebook-could-make-2011-the-year-the-site-changes-status.html

What do you think of the valuation? do you think GS is nuts to have placed such a value on a social networking site with unrealistic earnings estimate?

Personally, i don't see sustainable future earnings that could provide a sensible ROI from the valuations placed on this investments, if it goes public, many people will be paying really expensive price for the stock till the markets correct itself and investors lose cash, from all indications it appears like a bubble and as always, Goldman is always found at the center of everything mischievous!
Re: Breaking News: Facebook To Shut Down In March, Yuwie Takes Over And Pays You by jaybee3(m): 12:54pm On Jan 10, 2011
GS are very clever. They have it in small print that they withold the right to dump the shares if the valuation goes different direction. I'm not sure i can say it's unrealistic as the current/future growth is nothing but phenomenal.
They had revenue of over $2b last year and who is to say the revenue wouldn't continue rising in this current climate. The only thing that can bring it down is another tech bubble which frankly i don't see happening anytime soon.

FB has grown from just being a social networking site to a great tool for advertising rivalling only tech giant (google).
Rumour has it that Zucherberg will try to poach some of google's techies to stay competitive.
Some of FB's investors that have more than doubled their investments is as follows:

Peter Thiel
Reid Hoffman
$500k

Accel Partners
$12.7M

Greylock Partners
Meritech Capital Partners
The Founders Fund
$27.5M

Microsoft
$240M

Li Ka-shing
$60M

European Founders Fund
$15M

Li Ka-shing
$60M

TriplePoint Capital
$100M

Digital Sky Technologies (Digital Sky Technologies (Partly owned by Arsenal's second largest shareholder))
$200M

Elevation Partners (Bono (U2))
$120M

Personally, i don't it's the right time to jump on FB bandwagon. I probably will if the valuation falls back into the $20b -$30b range
Re: Breaking News: Facebook To Shut Down In March, Yuwie Takes Over And Pays You by violent(m): 1:19pm On Jan 10, 2011
^^^
Even at 30 bn, Facebook is still way overvalued, i wouldn't put my money on such!. .  .BT a solid company with real products and real track record has a value of just about 25 bn dollars,  . . . . At 50 Billion, Facebook has more value than Morgan Stanley!. . . except Facebook starts a product which allows for friends to pay to call each other from their profile page, i doubt they will be able to net any tangible returns on investment

Truth is, the only winners here are Mark Zuckerberg and Goldmann Sachs
The losers will be an average investor who will be left holding the short end of the stick once wall street realizes that the firm's financial performance does not live up to its valuations.

Much has been made of the rapid growth of Facebook users, but turning this into hard cash has always been the greatest challenge for any internet service company - especially when the service being provided is not one that people would actually pay for. So, the prime revenue stream is advertising clicks through.

In this respect, Facebook achieves a click-through rate of just 0.04% from its 500 million users in gaining its $1bn revenue. Even if every member of the human race was a user, this would only get them to $12bn of revenue,  . . . . .and who are the future users? Here is the problem! New Facebook users are now coming primarily from the developing world, not from the US or Europe. Not the places most likely to yield high revenues.

Jaybee, please don't be buying facebook share anytime soon o. . .i will wait till the valuations come around to about 5 to 10 billion!

Besides, there is a big risk that people might just decide to reduce the amount of information they share on cyberspace or like partygoers move to another exciting social media
Re: Breaking News: Facebook To Shut Down In March, Yuwie Takes Over And Pays You by jaybee3(m): 1:29pm On Jan 10, 2011
Are you comparing the valuation of fb with BT in relation to Asset/cash in hand?
Remember how google/ebay started?
Like i said, it's definitely over-valued but surely they are going to venture into other things. They're also going to dabber into M&A which will in turn increase stock value.

Everything is a risk in life but the best risk takers are those with eagle eyes that get on the train before it leaves the station.
Do you know how much the investments of the people i listed above have multiplied?

I'm more of a commodities man so techie stuffs just don't do it for me
Re: Breaking News: Facebook To Shut Down In March, Yuwie Takes Over And Pays You by violent(m): 1:42pm On Jan 10, 2011
Yeah!

You see, the point is, Investors are being made to pay for a "likelihood" that they will venture into other things!. . .and the rule of thumb is that as a savvy investor, you shouldn't be buying into a claim that a company will sky rocket their revenue, it's happened several times and it always end in harsh reality and tears.

Nobody in their right mind pays tomorrow's value today. What they do is to pay LESS than they EXPECT the future value to be. Otherwise there is no return to be made! If Goldman Sachs are putting money in at a valuation of $50bn, they are hoping it will go UP from that point and that makes this particular number all the more crazy.

And there is my point. For Facebook to be valued at such an enormous figure, there are those who are simply assuming (without hard evidence) that everything will continue to be peachy and to grow exponentially, but it won't. Numbers like $50bn against a backdrop of minimal profit just doesn't add up

We can only speculate as to what Facebook will look like in the future and we start with the biggest assumption of all - that it will continue to exist.

Those guys you listed up there put their cash in, in time from private equity in deals that most probably placed the site's valuation at a fraction far less than what GS is currently putting on it
Re: Breaking News: Facebook To Shut Down In March, Yuwie Takes Over And Pays You by bestads(m): 5:23pm On Jan 10, 2011
i have been paid by yuwie today for the 12 people that joined,i prefer yuwie to fb since fb does not pay me for browsing
Re: Breaking News: Facebook To Shut Down In March, Yuwie Takes Over And Pays You by violent(m): 5:26pm On Jan 10, 2011
bestads:

i have been paid by yuwie today for the 12 people that joined,i prefer yuwie to fb since fb does not pay me for browsing

we heard you the first time duh!

(1) (Reply)

Buhari Incited Kaduna Bombing - CHAIN / Obasanjo Is Working With APC - Daughter / EDITORIAL: Citizenship And Indigeneship: Nigeria’s Distraction

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.