Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,570 members, 7,958,763 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 10:53 PM

What Field Would You Recommend For Msc. In Chemistry - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Field Would You Recommend For Msc. In Chemistry (1312 Views)

I Studied In Republic Of Benin.. Can I Obtain My Msc In Nigeria? / Can I Go For An Msc. (chemistry) With A Bsc.(ed) In Chemistry Education? / 200 Level Students Of Unilag Lament Massive Failure In Chemistry Dpt.(see RESULT (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Field Would You Recommend For Msc. In Chemistry by Chemistrystuden(f): 5:20pm On Apr 30, 2020
What area of chemistry would you recommend for someone to pursue his master's degree.

And which aspect of chemistry do you think would still be relevant in 20 to 30 years to come.

Let me share a bit of what I know. I am currently an undergraduate student in an institution in Nigeria and I badly need advice and mentorship to make this heavy decision. I've searched online for some areas and I found some like:
.. analytical chemistry
.. synthetic Chemistry
.. medicinal chemistry
.. forensic chemistry
Among others. And I Know that in some years to come some of these fields will become much more demanded than others and some might become relegated.

I believe there are well read and experienced nairalanders who have also thread this path or have ideas that could help in this regard.

I'll really appreciate your contribution.
Re: What Field Would You Recommend For Msc. In Chemistry by success97: 6:34pm On Apr 30, 2020
Analytical chemistry will for ever be relevant even if most analysis are now done instrumentally like using AAS, HPLC, UV e.t.c . I will recommend it for you. Chemical Companies that have research labs require analytical chemist and some medical labs also require analytical chemist.

According to the D.G of nafdac a proposal has been sent to the federal government increase the manufacturing of drugs in Nigeria. So hopefully after this pandemic maybe we can start seeing more drug manufacturing companies and medicinal and synthetic chemistry would be more relevant.
More so with medicinal and synthetic chemistry u can work presently in some drug, cosmetics and lifestyle products company in Nigeria go to Ikeja there are many of them.

In conclusion jobs for all three are fairly available but analytical chemist will be the best since it's diverse.

For forensic chemistry, Nigeria hasn't reach that level and there are only few applications of it here in Nigeria. And even if it increase in the future it can never reach the level of other applicable branch of chemistry
Re: What Field Would You Recommend For Msc. In Chemistry by Chemistrystuden(f): 8:36pm On Apr 30, 2020
success97:
Analytical chemistry will for ever be relevant even if most analysis are now done instrumentally like using AAS, HPLC, UV e.t.c . I will recommend it for you. Chemical Companies that have research labs require analytical chemist and some medical labs also require analytical chemist.

According to the D.G of nafdac a proposal has been sent to the federal government increase the manufacturing of drugs in Nigeria. So hopefully after this pandemic maybe we can start seeing more drug manufacturing companies and medicinal and synthetic chemistry would be more relevant.
More so with medicinal and synthetic chemistry u can work presently in some drug, cosmetics and lifestyle products company in Nigeria go to Ikeja there are many of them.

In conclusion jobs for all three are fairly available but analytical chemist will be the best since it's diverse.

For forensic chemistry, Nigeria hasn't reach that level and there are only few applications of it here in Nigeria. And even if it increase in the future it can never reach the level of other applicable branch of chemistry

Wow, thanks for this beautiful contribution...
Re: What Field Would You Recommend For Msc. In Chemistry by Chemical2(m): 4:17pm On May 27, 2020
Hello,

I tried to reply to your email but I got a message failure notification.

It sort of depends on where you are looking at advancing your career. My perspective is based on my experience as a chemist in the US.

I think analytical chemistry is highly relevant here and It is going to continue to be relevant in the next 20-30 years. This is because of the very broad scope where analytical chemistry skills are applicable for example, in the petroleum industry, materials, clinical, biotechnology, drug development, general analytical testing, food industry, etc.

Though synthetic/med chemists make more money, the field is highly competitive as there are only a few openings for process/med chemistry in the pharmaceutical companies compared to analytical chemistry job opportunities. In order words, the scope of a med/synthetic chemist is very limited but compared to that of an analytical chemist.

I have no information about forensic chemistry but I would think It is a sub-discipline of analytical chemistry as part of their work involves DNA amplification and testing.
Re: What Field Would You Recommend For Msc. In Chemistry by Danny4show(m): 8:20am On May 28, 2020
Chemical2:
Hello,

I tried to reply to your email but I got a message failure notification.

It sort of depends on where you are looking at advancing your career. My perspective is based on my experience as a chemist in the US.

I think analytical chemistry is highly relevant here and It is going to continue to be relevant in the next 20-30 years. This is because of the very broad scope where analytical chemistry skills are applicable for example, in the petroleum industry, materials, clinical, biotechnology, drug development, general analytical testing, food industry, etc.

Though synthetic/med chemists make more money, the field is highly competitive as there are only a few openings for process/med chemistry in the pharmaceutical companies compared to analytical chemistry job opportunities. In order words, the scope of a med/synthetic chemist is very limited but compared to that of an analytical chemist.

I have no information about forensic chemistry but I would think It is a sub-discipline of analytical chemistry as part of their work involves DNA amplification and testing.
Hello Sir, please I have just sent you a mail. I would be glad to hear from you. Thanks
Re: What Field Would You Recommend For Msc. In Chemistry by Chemical2(m): 9:48am On May 28, 2020
Danny4show:
Hello Sir, please I have just sent you a mail. I would be glad to hear from you. Thanks

I replied your email. Glad to answer your questions.
Re: What Field Would You Recommend For Msc. In Chemistry by Ajibade123(m): 10:58am On May 28, 2020
lalasticlala won't push this kind of educative post to FP cos there is no snake involved
Re: What Field Would You Recommend For Msc. In Chemistry by Danny4show(m): 10:40pm On May 30, 2020
Chemical2:

I replied your email. Glad to answer your questions.
Hi sir, when last did you checked your mail?

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Lady Becomes First Black President Of A US College - Picture / Another Igbo Man Becomes 2nd Ever Black Vice Chancellor In UK / Philanthropist Offers Scholarship To 21 College Of Health Students In Zamfara

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.