Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,189 members, 7,835,952 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 06:04 PM

Tony Allen Is Dead! - Music/Radio (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Tony Allen Is Dead! (43370 Views)

Ayo Orowale, Broadcaster Is Dead (Photo) / Download "Heaven's Gate" By Burna Boy Featuring lily Allen / Lil Ameer Hassan Is Dead, To Be Buried Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tony Allen Is Dead! by ruggedtimi(m): 11:34am On May 01, 2020
No worry this guy na beat monster...R.I.P legend
Re: Tony Allen Is Dead! by Golan007: 11:34am On May 01, 2020
Rest in peace Maestro.
Re: Tony Allen Is Dead! by AyakaDunukofia: 11:36am On May 01, 2020
TONY ALLEN was the founder of Afro beat and not co-founder. Fela attested to the fact as well.

I was concerned about him especially when Manu Dibango died eight weeks ago from corona virus in Paris. He was the greatest drummer that ever lived. He invented Afro beat into Fela's music. It was his signature.
Re: Tony Allen Is Dead! by naptu2: 11:37am On May 01, 2020
UKBobo:

lol....did you not read the article grin grin grin

literacy and music history is now a forgotten sport. If it was a video of ppl fighting over rice, that you would understand.

RIP warrior

He couldn't have read the article because I had not yet posted the article at the time that he made that comment.

1 Like

Re: Tony Allen Is Dead! by lordkay10(m): 11:42am On May 01, 2020
AfroKnight:
He set the standard for afrobeat drumming.

RIP to the maestro.

Does anyone know Fela’s bassist in Africa 70?
That should be Lekan Animashaun

1 Like

Re: Tony Allen Is Dead! by Adakintroy2: 11:45am On May 01, 2020
Casket makers be singing with tears in their eyes. Can't just believe how God has being so good to them this yr.

Don't look at me that way. One man food is another man poison stretch as far as all reason goes.

1 Like

Re: Tony Allen Is Dead! by MuttleyLaff: 11:45am On May 01, 2020
AfroKnight:
RIP to the maestro.

lordkay10:

That should be Lekan Animashaun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plwQS7eZdzk

AfroKnight, I think that could be Ojo Okeji from back in the day, but I stand corrected. Baba naptu2 might confirm or refute, lol
You can feel the similarity in style, percussion, drumming, delivery, composition etcetera in it, lol.
Thats him, Ojo Okeji, after leaving Baba to form his own band. Cheap version of Baba Abami Ẹda, lol. You could see he couldnt keep up with the familiar Baba Abami Ẹda musical tempo and longevity lyrical upbeat style

naptu2:
I always listened to this song in full in the 1970s and '80s, but in the 2000s many people often chopped up the song into bits. Thankfully, with YouTube's new licensing system, there's an official Fela page and I can show you what I want you to hear.

You don't even need to listen to the whole song. I would like you to listen from the beginning, but my main aim is to get you to listen to the drum solo at the 2:05 minute mark. Please listen to that drum solo. Please, please listen to that drum solo. It'll also be nice if you listen from the beginning, so that you can get the context, but please listen to the drum solo.

Fela Anikulapo-Kuti - Open and Close (1971).
[img]https://s6/images/800.jpg[/img]
Segun BUCKNOR: "Some critics, say he lacks concerntration of effort,
others say, it is simply “luck” that has eluded him
"

naptu2, ọmọ, baba mi sef, God bless you real good for this. The two babas, Fela and Allen, are legends.

The combination of Baba Abami Ẹda and Baba Allen was insane, just listening again to that 2:05 drum session sent goose pimples all over my skin and shivers down my spine. Contrary to what you said about Baba Allen, he actually shuttled between France and the UK, when he used to colloborate with Damon Albarn, best known as the lead singer and lyricist of the UK band, Blur. Rivals to the Gallagher brothers, Liam & Paul, Oasis UK band then, lol. It is only in his twilight years that he finally settled in France after stopping drumming

naptu2 have you done any piece about the rivalry between Baba Abami Ẹda and Baba Segun Bucknor back in the day (i.e. "Adanri sogba sogba, ọkọ iya alamala" tune) If not when you do please cc' me, as I would love to read it coming from you, lol. Also do something for the Lijadu Sisters, lol

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tony Allen Is Dead! by ZooOga: 11:48am On May 01, 2020
R.I.P. honourable elder.

Tony Allen & Hugh Masekela - Rejoice (Full Album)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWEQG7N7Oik&list=PLetv3SCC-r3ZYlcii-LJxd3eaSQbM-xxn

1 Like

Re: Tony Allen Is Dead! by Ramos16(m): 12:02pm On May 01, 2020
[quote author=mfm04622 post=89056052][/quote] you don't read much do you?
Re: Tony Allen Is Dead! by lordkay10(m): 12:03pm On May 01, 2020
[quote author=naptu2 post=89057241][/quote]
Please do have a link to Fela's "Live in Zenith" 1986 full show? The ones I see on YouTube are edit versions of the show
Re: Tony Allen Is Dead! by Sososo(f): 12:11pm On May 01, 2020
Rip
Re: Tony Allen Is Dead! by Bishop(m): 12:20pm On May 01, 2020
I just listened to it and my opinion is that Fela needed to show case that wizardry artistic drum playing to the world.

It seems as if a whole military band playing. R. I. P to the man
Re: Tony Allen Is Dead! by naptu2: 12:21pm On May 01, 2020
Ramos16:
you don't read much do you?

naptu2:

He couldn't have read the article because I had not yet posted the article at the time that he made that comment.
Re: Tony Allen Is Dead! by BitmapStudios: 12:22pm On May 01, 2020
naptu2:
I wrote this a few days ago.

I used to have one of Ginger Baker's feature with Fela on my playlist then, Black Man's Cry.
The lyrics goes like:
'Jo (as in ojo, day in English) wo lama bo o o, l'oko eru;
A o bo l'ojo kan o, l'oko eru....

And Baker was just rolling the drums and I used to laugh that he was playing Afrobeat the Classical way.

Then, I heard a story, when Baker then was referred as the greatest percussionist of that time and when he came to Nigeria, Fela went to meet (more like a challenge) him that, he heard he (Baker) is the greatest percussionist and he was wondering if he could give him a rythm with this drum (Fela handed him a talking drum -gangan). And Baker couldn't hold the gangan stick rightly as it kept turning upside-down as he was about striking on the drum. Fela agreed to teach Baker how to play the talking drum.

I don't know how true that is, but seems like what Fela would do to claim Africa is the best.

RIP to Tony Allen, a true African legend.
cool

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Tony Allen Is Dead! by IMO01: 1:43pm On May 01, 2020
RIP great man
Re: Tony Allen Is Dead! by FuckDaMods: 1:49pm On May 01, 2020
[quote author=naptu2 post=89057241][/quote]
Until i watch the video, i can't believe it's just one man that created that sound
Re: Tony Allen Is Dead! by zubinike(m): 2:05pm On May 01, 2020
AfroKnight:

RIP to the maestro.

Dede mabiaku
Re: Tony Allen Is Dead! by Taway(m): 2:12pm On May 01, 2020
2020 : What a year for African music legends?
Manu Dibango died in France.
Tony Allen died in France.
RIP.

1 Like

Re: Tony Allen Is Dead! by WORLDPEACE(m): 2:55pm On May 01, 2020
Re: Tony Allen Is Dead! by WORLDPEACE(m): 3:00pm On May 01, 2020
mfm04622

Tony Allen's father was Ghanian but his mom Nigerian. He grew up in Lagos.
Re: Tony Allen Is Dead! by chasy16(f): 3:59pm On May 01, 2020
timocruzcmbb:
Rip my favorite musisian

you don't mean it. grin

2 Likes

Re: Tony Allen Is Dead! by AfroKnight: 3:59pm On May 01, 2020
zubinike:

Dede mabiaku

Dede? Wow. Didn’t know that. I just assumed he was among the horns men since he’s a saxophonist.
Re: Tony Allen Is Dead! by gloryfidedesign(m): 4:00pm On May 01, 2020
Receive my condolence the greatest drummer of all time it was a privilege to record you live and feel the real Afro Beat from the BEAT himself because you are the beat in the afro beat. I appreciate all the encouragement and support you gave as a hip hop artist after listening to my song you call me Nigeria Hip Hop and took my song to your record label EMI to secure me a record deal. I am grateful for you to take you time to listen to my song and encourage me to release the song because my music is the real Naija Hip Hop.
It is a pleasure working with you 2008 in Lagos Studio Works recording studios. Rest In Peace sir.

1 Like

Re: Tony Allen Is Dead! by chasy16(f): 4:04pm On May 01, 2020
Remaboy:

My sister, are you new on NL. She is a known critic of beggars. A lot of real people in need has gone off because of her and her gang. Calling them broke niccas.
She then proceeds to beg in secret?? That is hypocrisy. When I had the mind to help, she then proceeded to insult me point-blank.

grin

1 Like

Re: Tony Allen Is Dead! by Remaboy(m): 4:06pm On May 01, 2020
chasy16:

grin
Lol. Just check the topic I created today on my profile. It's trending sef.
Re: Tony Allen Is Dead! by naptu2: 4:08pm On May 01, 2020
AfroKnight:

Dede? Wow. Didn’t know that. I just assumed he was among the horns men since he’s a saxophonist.

It wasn't Dede. Dede was not in Africa 70. He met Fela for the very first time at Jazz 38 in 1986 or 87.
Re: Tony Allen Is Dead! by Legendguru: 4:12pm On May 01, 2020
Rip
Re: Tony Allen Is Dead! by AfroKnight: 4:14pm On May 01, 2020
naptu2:

It wasn't Dede. Dede was not in Africa 70. He met Fela for the very first time at Jazz 38 in 1986 or 87.

Thanks boss.

I wish I could meet the bassist for Afrika 70. He kept a solid groove, tight with Tony Allen. Lady and especially Gentleman blow my mind every time. Solid bottom notes.
Re: Tony Allen Is Dead! by Neddyogu(m): 9:31pm On May 01, 2020
These are d real musicians not these ones that they create beats with computer for.
Re: Tony Allen Is Dead! by mfm04622: 10:10pm On May 01, 2020
Ramos16:
you don't read much do you?

At the time I asked, he has not posted the article. Since I commented, he has changed the title and the earlier posts!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerian Songs You Can't Understand How They Became Hit Songs / SUV For Next Rated Act Of The Year At #12thheadies (Photos) / Affect My Life Breath On Me Lyrics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.