Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,928 members, 7,817,719 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:51 PM

COVID-19: WHO To Commence Vaccine Trials In Nigeria - Health (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / COVID-19: WHO To Commence Vaccine Trials In Nigeria (74009 Views)

Prepare For A Pandemic Worse Than COVID-19 - WHO Chief, Tedros / UK, US, Canada Accuse Russia Of Hacking Coronavirus Vaccine Trials / COVID-19: WHO Says Madagascar's Herbal Tonic Not A Cure (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: COVID-19: WHO To Commence Vaccine Trials In Nigeria by backtalkG(m): 9:12am On May 02, 2020
let them take it to kano and Lagos asap
Re: COVID-19: WHO To Commence Vaccine Trials In Nigeria by Dannyfan(m): 9:13am On May 02, 2020
gretblue:
I really don't know if these youths don't read or they read but fail to understand. The article is self explanatory, there are countries who have started to develop vaccines for Covid 19 on their own. Nigeria would soon be granted/ listed among these countries to develop vaccines for Covid 19.
The WHO Representative, was clear enough on PTF Covid 19 on Channels TV yesterday.
89 countries have started developing vaccines for Covid 19.
Nigeria has just joined the countries to develop the vaccines, that means Prof IWu and others can develop vaccines for Covid 19.
Nigeria youths only watch Africa magic .
The news was repeated several times on Channels TV and Ait yesterday
Seriously you too didn't understand the write-up. Let me summarize; 1. 89 vaccines not 89 countries are in development stage
2. 100 countries have shown interest in the solidarity trial.
3. 1200 patient have been randomly pick from 5 countries from the 100 that show interest. Not same with urz

4 Likes

Re: COVID-19: WHO To Commence Vaccine Trials In Nigeria by Nairalandmonika: 9:15am On May 02, 2020
Lostz:

those lines are clear and self-explanatory...... unless you have a baby brain

It stated that Nigeria has expressed interest in being part of the trial. The trial is already going on in different part of the world and Nigeria wants to be part of it. It not like they are testing the vaccine with Nigeria alone.
Re: COVID-19: WHO To Commence Vaccine Trials In Nigeria by yomislim: 9:16am On May 02, 2020
gretblue:
I really don't know if these youths don't read or they read but fail to understand. The article is self explanatory, there are countries who have started to develop vaccines for Covid 19 on their own. Nigeria would soon be granted/ listed among these countries to develop vaccines for Covid 19.
The WHO Representative, was clear enough on PTF Covid 19 on Channels TV yesterday.
Nigeria has just joined the countries to develop the vaccines, that means Prof IWu and others can develop vaccines for Covid 19.
shaking my big head for you! !!

1 Like

Re: COVID-19: WHO To Commence Vaccine Trials In Nigeria by afecgivers: 9:16am On May 02, 2020
agwom:

Source: https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/covid-19-who-to-commence-vaccine-trials-in-nigeria.html

I love France, they dont know how to keep secret like the igala people of Nigeria. Uhmmmmm
Re: COVID-19: WHO To Commence Vaccine Trials In Nigeria by Sayrahh(m): 9:17am On May 02, 2020
What sort of rubbish is this enh. What have we done to deserve all these. At first we pleaded to close d border/airports they refused, we said don't bring the Chinese doctors they refused, and now vaccine trial in Nigeria. For how long will these continue. Better still they should start the trial in Wuhan, Italy,USA, UK,. This might be our last chance o in this country. God Almighty has been by our side from the beginning, that is why most of their plans are not working on us. Please please please, nobody trust the so called WHO. But since nig na mumu okpe ode we be na, we dey buy anything their talk, well maybe that's because they've sold the country its just that they didn't make it official. #Godblessandkeepprotectingnig #Nigshallriseagain
Re: COVID-19: WHO To Commence Vaccine Trials In Nigeria by HundredWays(m): 9:17am On May 02, 2020
Salvador1:
If it is the solution to the problem I don't mind if they start it in Nigeria especially in north

South angry
Re: COVID-19: WHO To Commence Vaccine Trials In Nigeria by Dannyfan(m): 9:17am On May 02, 2020
gretblue:

But the article says Nigeria scientists should also go ahead to develop vaccines for Covid 19 as other 89 countries have already started
Are you working for WHO or what? Don't mislead people, the article is clear enough; 89 vaccines not 89 countries. Not neccessarily the 89 vaccines is from different 89 countries. A country might be developing upto 5

1 Like

Re: COVID-19: WHO To Commence Vaccine Trials In Nigeria by DAVE5(m): 9:18am On May 02, 2020
gretblue:

Unfortunately you only read the headline

I've read the article about thrice trying to understand it, from I understand it never stated categorically that Nigeria is being allowed to develop any vaccine rather the last paragraph said and I quote

"We do have the solidarity trial which is an international clinical trial to help find an effective treatment for Covid-19, launched by the WHO and partners. More than 100 countries have joined the solidarity trial and to date, over 1,200 patients have been randomized from the first five countries to evaluate the safety and efficacy full drug and drug combinations,” Braka said.

This above statement means 1200 people have been picked randomly from the first five country to evaluate the safety and efficacy of the drug combination being developed by the drug being tested on them, so if they were to use just one medicine, there might not be harm, but what if they were to combine different medications like you would get if your doc diagnosed you of malaria, they'd have to give you combination of drugs not just one, and those drugs must work with each other to help you

The first statement of the text says and I quote

The World Health Organization (WHO) has said that Nigeria has expressed interest to be part of the global solidarity trial of the vaccines being developed to tackle COVID-19 pandemic and efforts are underway to start the process in the country

We expressed our interest to be part of the global solidarity trial of the vaccines developed, so we want to be trial center

Solidarity trials explanation for my own understanding: https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/global-research-on-novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov/solidarity-clinical-trial-for-covid-19-treatments

Or maybe there's something I missed somewhere
Re: COVID-19: WHO To Commence Vaccine Trials In Nigeria by codemaniacs: 9:19am On May 02, 2020
zz
Re: COVID-19: WHO To Commence Vaccine Trials In Nigeria by Empiree: 9:21am On May 02, 2020
Salvador1:
If it is the solution to the problem I don't mind if they start it in Nigeria especially in north
Why North?. Why not your family?

1 Like

Re: COVID-19: WHO To Commence Vaccine Trials In Nigeria by repogirl(f): 9:22am On May 02, 2020
Okay. They should start with Buhari and his children.
Re: COVID-19: WHO To Commence Vaccine Trials In Nigeria by Farki: 9:22am On May 02, 2020
Golan007:

This pandemic like many other issues, but better highlighted by this one, is a vivid reminder of why most of Africa, Nigeria being a prime example, is backward.

Africans sit back and let the rest of the world conduct research, find solutions and obtain the rewards.

Whilst the research is being conducted, Africans promote conspiracy theories, discard logic, elevate innuendos and engender fake news thinking it is all fun.

I foresee a time in future when Africa would be pleading for the antidotes, begging that the cost be subsidized for them, asking if the capitalists have no human feelings.

For now, it is all well and good to fester in the early days ignorance, waiting to reap where did not sow.

Africans have a habit of promoting self destructive behaviour as good. Our conduct at home and abroad leaves a lot to be desired. Rather than use the Internet to gain knowledge they use it for rubbish. I would understand if it was just a few crazy people but the large number of people posting utter nonsense on this forum with a large amount of likes is just disappointing.

When other countries are done with covid-19 they better not start claiming discrimination when our high cases prevent us from travelling.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: COVID-19: WHO To Commence Vaccine Trials In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:23am On May 02, 2020
Nairalandmonika:

It stated that Nigeria has expressed interest in being part of the trial. The trial is already going on in different part of the world and Nigeria wants to be part of it. It not like they are testing the vaccine with Nigeria alone.
I was actually saying almost the same thing.
.my comment is a reply to gretblue who was misinforming people with the below comment;

Do you read the article at all? Scientists from diiferent 89 countries have been granted go ahead to develop Covid 19 vaccines. Nigeria scientists have just been listed to be among the countries to develop vaccines for Covid 19. Is there anything wrong in that?
Re: COVID-19: WHO To Commence Vaccine Trials In Nigeria by codemaniacs: 9:23am On May 02, 2020
zz
Re: COVID-19: WHO To Commence Vaccine Trials In Nigeria by mydavidorf: 9:24am On May 02, 2020
Anything that can bring an end to this nonsense is welcome
Re: COVID-19: WHO To Commence Vaccine Trials In Nigeria by Dannyfan(m): 9:24am On May 02, 2020
mfm04622:
This is a global pandemic! Why should the trial be in Nigeria in particular and Africa in general? Considering the fact that Africa is not as affected by this pandemic as Asia, Europe and the US?
Nigeria and Africa in general kee? Everybody must participate ooo. Not cheating
Re: COVID-19: WHO To Commence Vaccine Trials In Nigeria by Alanpoza007: 9:25am On May 02, 2020
gretblue:

The World Health Organization (WHO) has said that Nigeria has expressed interest to be part of the global solidarity trial of the vaccines being developed to tackle COVID-19 pandemic
You go about castigating people of not being able to read when it is you that have comprehension problems. You keep on referring to Channels TV news, when what we have here is an article from Daily Trust. Argue based on what's written in this article and not Channels TV News.The statement you quoted above simply means Nigeria has expressed interest to be part of countries (up to 100 countries so far) where the clinical trials of vaccines already being developed by up to 89 different organizations can be carried out, with 7 already at clinical trial and evaluation stage. This is clear enough from the article. Is that English too hard to understand. If you know the difference between vaccine trial and vaccine development, you won't be displaying such ignorance.
Below is the last paragraph of the article. If you read this, especially the second sentence and still continue being obstinate, then you cannot be helped.

“We do have the solidarity trial which is an international clinical trial to help find an effective treatment for Covid-19, launched by the WHO and partners. More than 100 countries have joined the solidarity trial and to date, over 1,200 patients have been randomized from the first five countries to evaluate the safety and efficacy full drug and drug combinations,” Braka said.

2 Likes

Re: COVID-19: WHO To Commence Vaccine Trials In Nigeria by Le2money(m): 9:26am On May 02, 2020
This is really interesting.... kiss kiss

gretblue:
Re: COVID-19: WHO To Commence Vaccine Trials In Nigeria by codemaniacs: 9:27am On May 02, 2020
zz

1 Like

Re: COVID-19: WHO To Commence Vaccine Trials In Nigeria by Dannyfan(m): 9:27am On May 02, 2020
gretblue:

It was on Channels TV news yesterday. I really can't help you if you fail to understand to simple write up
why are so myopic ehn? Name all the 89 countries developing the vaccines. Nah we no dey watch news abi
Re: COVID-19: WHO To Commence Vaccine Trials In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:28am On May 02, 2020
Racoon:
shocked What about Wuhan where it all started or Italy, US? Why Nigeria? On top which person head? So are truly Guinea pigs? It seems the WHO/Bill Gates conspiracy is true esp.with the HOR passage of the vaccination bill.

Some fools believe Bill Gates is their savior. A man who is not in medical line has been on the forefront of vaccine. He even started the whole campaign of vaccine before the advent of the pandemic. His crony in evil Mr Fauci predicted that Trump administration will witness pandemic yet mofos on nairaland will still be running their diarrhea mouth.

Where are Eto'o and Drogba? They should come and see their people fighting themselves to be the first to collect vaccine.

Saying that Africa is the guinea pig is understatement, she's by far worse than that.
Re: COVID-19: WHO To Commence Vaccine Trials In Nigeria by iknowwhoiam: 9:29am On May 02, 2020
Gerrard59:

Thank you very much. Here, you have bunch of lazy and arrogant people who don't want to be tested with the proposed vaccine but will later demand for it when cases skyrocket. Ask them what have they done to proffer solutions, nothing! Left to me, no African country should get a vaccine since they believe that it is aimed at reducing the continent's population. Ironically, African countries have the fastest growing population in the world upon years of conspiracy theoretical BS about reduction of population. Most of these persons wouldn't be alive today if not vaccines they received when they were young.

Are you implying that the conspiracy to reduce Africa especially Nigeria population is a theory, Bill Gates and co had not hidden the fact. Bill Gates talks about it opening.

Gosh, are you daft?

I did not receive those vaccines and over 45 years old and am very healthy.

Take your vaccine, You should not force me to take it by any means. Government around has proven time and time again not to be trusted.
By the way can you explain to us the implication of the NCDC bill? if not to pave the way for forced vaccination.

I rather contact the virus than take any vaccine.

Furthermore, this demon (Dr Fauci) predicted in 2017 that there will be an outbreak. Watch the video and educate yourself.
He said "There will be a [b]surprise [/b]outbreak" and again "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMyba8hlc0E
Re: COVID-19: WHO To Commence Vaccine Trials In Nigeria by loswhite(m): 9:33am On May 02, 2020
SalamRushdie:

My phone phone is half your annual salary bozo... If people are dying like flies in Kano when the efficacy of chloroquine, artemisinin and Azithromycin has been proven 100 percent who are we to blame ? The world is filled with daft people like you who just allow globalist Satanist to take you for a ride because you have refused to use your brain..and again please I have two phones and their combined worth is more than your annual salary Gbef ( I can be that petty )
You are so daft... You say things without fact... Any one can type my phone is worth your annual salary but it doesn't make it fact just like your claims of chlorine proven to be 100% is not a fact...

1 Like

Re: COVID-19: WHO To Commence Vaccine Trials In Nigeria by donjancd19(m): 9:33am On May 02, 2020
Fake news pls discard!!!
Re: COVID-19: WHO To Commence Vaccine Trials In Nigeria by Homiesjinxbank: 9:33am On May 02, 2020
APC government has betrayed Nigerians...
Re: COVID-19: WHO To Commence Vaccine Trials In Nigeria by captainamiedi1: 9:35am On May 02, 2020
Racoon:
shocked What about Wuhan where it all started or Italy, US? Why Nigeria? On top which person head? So are truly Guinea pigs? It seems the WHO/Bill Gates conspiracy is true esp.with the HOR passage of the vaccination bill.

Cant you read that Nigeria volunteer to be part of it?? Nobody forces Nigeria na our leaders volunteer to use you as guinea pig. Please read the content again
Re: COVID-19: WHO To Commence Vaccine Trials In Nigeria by Dannyfan(m): 9:37am On May 02, 2020
codemaniacs:

you should know by from the way gretblue has been responding to people that his one of those people who are the domineering, "if its not my way or opinion then your way or opinion is wrong".

in summary, he doesn't accept the fact that he is wrong and he doesn't respect other people's opinions.

the guy ehnn. That shows he didn't read the article at all, and he is standing on the wrong interpretation of the article.
Re: COVID-19: WHO To Commence Vaccine Trials In Nigeria by bonna4u(m): 9:38am On May 02, 2020
gretblue:
Oga, the blame should be directed at the op who gave nairaland youths a half-baked story. They are reacting to the post.
Re: COVID-19: WHO To Commence Vaccine Trials In Nigeria by waslag: 9:38am On May 02, 2020
Re: COVID-19: WHO To Commence Vaccine Trials In Nigeria by iPOOPinURmouth: 9:39am On May 02, 2020
so you want to try a vaccine in a country where there are lesser cases of the fake covid 19 and ignore usa, france, italy, china etc where itis serous.? na the illiterates i pity
Re: COVID-19: WHO To Commence Vaccine Trials In Nigeria by Racoon(m): 9:40am On May 02, 2020
captainamiedi1:
Cant you read that Nigeria volunteer to be part of it?? Nobody forces Nigeria na our leaders volunteer to use you as guinea pig. Please read the content again
Were Nigerians asked if they will be willing to be part of this charade even if it will be of benefit?

The the leadership of the HOR is hastening a bill to that effect we learnt with most members not allowed to contribute objectively to it. Why?

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Israeli $1.5M Gold & Diamond Face-Mask Is The Most Expensive In The World / 40 Persons Infected As NCDC Confirms 4 New Coronavirus Cases / Pool Party At Lake Of The Ozarks Missouri Shows Crowd Ignoring Social Distancing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.