Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,114 members, 7,957,166 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 08:23 AM

Overseas Masters Online: I Need Some Advice - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Overseas Masters Online: I Need Some Advice (1006 Views)

8 Annoying Jobs Nigeria Graduates Do In Order To Survive At Overseas Countries / Professional Exams Vs Masters Which Is Better? / Working And Running Masters And ICAN At The Same Time. Is This Possible? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Overseas Masters Online: I Need Some Advice by degbe: 6:58pm On Jan 10, 2011
Hi Everyone. I need some advice.

I am currently considering doing a masters (computer science) in the US by distance learning/online as i am not keen on quitting my current job in an oil major in nigeria for a masters. i checked schools in the UK but found that they hardly do the distance learning except liverpool/hertfordshire etc.

i have a b.sc (2.1) computer science from the university of benin (2006) and have worked 2+ yrs in an invest. bank and some months in an oil/gas firm. i also have some IT/project mgmt. certifications (JAVA/Oracle/PMP/ITIL)

i just started preparing for the GRE and i am not particularly interested in funding/financial aid. i am considering the schools below that offer m.sc computer sc. (online option):

John Hopkins, Columbia, illinois at urbana-champaign, Colorado at Boulder
Colorado State University, New Jersey Institute of Technology
University of Hawaii,

do u think an online masters would be helpful in my career?
what are my chances in these schools as i have little or no research experience?
some of these schools ask for a 3.3/4.0 GPA. How does my 4.01/5 GPA translate to an "over 4.0" GPA?

thanks for your expected responses.
Re: Overseas Masters Online: I Need Some Advice by d7thcaller: 4:50pm On Jan 13, 2011
@ Degbe,

Your CGPA translates to 3.21 on a 4.00 scale.
I wish you the best. cheers
Re: Overseas Masters Online: I Need Some Advice by AjanleKoko: 5:37pm On Jan 13, 2011
@OP,
As per UK schools, have you checked the Masters in IT instead, or MBA in IT? I'm sure you'll find a few more schools offering that.
Re: Overseas Masters Online: I Need Some Advice by degbe: 2:50pm On Jan 14, 2011
d7thcaller:

@ Degbe,

Your CGPA translates to 3.21 on a 4.00 scale.
I wish you the best. cheers

someone told me u just dont convert 4/5*4.01 = 3.21. the person thinks i would meet the 3.3 cutoff. i want to know how true this is

AjanleKoko:

@OP,
As per UK schools, have you checked the Masters in IT instead, or MBA in IT? I'm sure you'll find a few more schools offering that.
Chief Ajanlekoko. i hail o bros. the prob is that
1) Schools in UK that do masters are not that recognised maybe except the University of London collegiates
2) i prefer a masters in Computer Science to IT/Security etc. the curriculum for these masters in IT is just your typical IT certifications. It does not have strong underlying theories.
Re: Overseas Masters Online: I Need Some Advice by d7thcaller: 5:36pm On Jan 18, 2011
@ Degbe,

I am sure of the CGPA translation.
Cheers

(1) (Reply)

Project Management, Ideas/advises Needed / I Urgently Need A Teaching Job Any Where Around Ikeja, Anthony, Vi, Lekki Etc / What Do You Think Of This Gtb Offer?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.