Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,335 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:57 AM

Masquerades In Igboland - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Masquerades In Igboland (41123 Views)

Nigeria's Most Feared Masquerades, Names And Photos / The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) / Popular Masquerades In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Masquerades In Igboland by soserious(f): 3:51pm On Jan 31, 2011
I remember these well well and miss it too
Re: Masquerades In Igboland by Sojourner09: 7:09am On Sep 09, 2012
It is exactly 50 years since I was last in Umuahia and, specifically, Ahiaeke, where as a child I lived from 3 years in the early 1960s. During my stay, we used to trek to Olokoro to buy palm wine. Our route took us through where Government College , Umuahia, was located, I believe that was in Umudike. One might wonder why we went all the way from Ahiaeke to Olokoro for palm wine, and I did wonder why at that time also, but I later learned that Olokoro palms produced some of the best tasting palm wines in all of Umudike if not in all of Umuahia. If anyone is familiar with the village of Ahiaeke, which had a very good elementary school and also a Seminary in the 1960's, I would love to hear about their comments.

I would also like to hear about Umuana, in Umuahia North Local Government Area . I mention Umuana because during the New Yam Festival, the Village of Umuana used to put up an Epke dance that was both fascinating as well as chillingly frightening, at least to the eyes and mental acuity of a child. This Ekpe dance culminated in the masquerade slicing off the head of a large goat with one single strike of sharp machete that, legend has it, has been sharpened for 7 days to the day of the event and to such and edge that it can take off one's finger were one stupid enough to test its sharpness. I only witnessed to this event just once, but the memory has been seared on my consciousness ever since. I have searched and searched for the music that was played during this event: it has stuck with me for more than 50 years. If anyone is familiar with this Ekpe event in the Village of Umuana, I would be most appreciative to hear from them. This is an incredible Forum: I am very happy to have accidentally happened upon it today.

1 Like

Re: Masquerades In Igboland by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:35pm On Sep 09, 2012
^^oh yes i agree with you. some of these SPiritual ceremonies can be very frightening. i myself have experienced some strange things. but it is the awe of it. truly inspiring.
Re: Masquerades In Igboland by nanidee(f): 11:21am On Oct 18, 2013
These mmanwu are soooo scary. From childhood up until now, I can not be caught in the same vicinity as them.
Re: Masquerades In Igboland by NRIPRIEST(m): 5:39pm On Oct 18, 2013
Akhenaten: Ogbodo Enyi dancer with participating viewers, Enyigba Izzi, 1983

Look at women dancing with masqurade....these people has defiled Igbo culture!
Re: Masquerades In Igboland by Nobody: 10:43pm On Oct 18, 2013
ijele masquerade

Re: Masquerades In Igboland by Nobody: 10:44pm On Oct 18, 2013
adamma

Re: Masquerades In Igboland by Nobody: 10:50pm On Oct 18, 2013
cool cool cool ugly

Re: Masquerades In Igboland by Nobody: 10:19pm On Nov 23, 2013
Our heritage will never die
Re: Masquerades In Igboland by Stormyweather(m): 1:38am On Oct 27, 2018
ifyalways:
Pictures of Aji busu. Im guessing the name aji busu was coined from the puss.ycat-like furs/rafters on their costumeĀ  undecided
Evidently,Its a small masquerade .
please can you educate me on the masquerade as portrayed by the rich culture of the Igbos. I'm from Delta.
Re: Masquerades In Igboland by Stormyweather(m): 1:41am On Oct 27, 2018
Sojourner09:
It is exactly 50 years since I was last in Umuahia and, specifically, Ahiaeke, where as a child I lived from 3 years in the early 1960s. During my stay, we used to trek to Olokoro to buy palm wine. Our route took us through where Government College , Umuahia, was located, I believe that was in Umudike. One might wonder why we went all the way from Ahiaeke to Olokoro for palm wine, and I did wonder why at that time also, but I later learned that Olokoro palms produced some of the best tasting palm wines in all of Umudike if not in all of Umuahia. If anyone is familiar with the village of Ahiaeke, which had a very good elementary school and also a Seminary in the 1960's, I would love to hear about their comments.

I would also like to hear about Umuana, in Umuahia North Local Government Area . I mention Umuana because during the New Yam Festival, the Village of Umuana used to put up an Epke dance that was both fascinating as well as chillingly frightening, at least to the eyes and mental acuity of a child. This Ekpe dance culminated in the masquerade slicing off the head of a large goat with one single strike of sharp machete that, legend has it, has been sharpened for 7 days to the day of the event and to such and edge that it can take off one's finger were one stupid enough to test its sharpness. I only witnessed to this event just once, but the memory has been seared on my consciousness ever since. I have searched and searched for the music that was played during this event: it has stuck with me for more than 50 years. If anyone is familiar with this Ekpe event in the Village of Umuana, I would be most appreciative to hear from them. This is an incredible Forum: I am very happy to have accidentally happened upon it today.
wow!
Re: Masquerades In Igboland by TA4TA4: 5:19pm On Jun 08, 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vFPgAZN9Jg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex__6LcJr8E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK8vHw6Cj8g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3SfRRFvVaI

Chai.... I am always excited when masquerade festival in my village is fast approaching.... Indeed culture is sweet

(1) (2) (Reply)

Olubadan And His Wives Board A First Class Train In London. PICS / Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want / Ooni Reacts To Fire At Palace Of Oba Of Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.