Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,039 members, 7,818,070 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:54 AM

Masquerades In Igboland - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Masquerades In Igboland (41183 Views)

Nigeria's Most Feared Masquerades, Names And Photos / The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) / Popular Masquerades In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Masquerades In Igboland by Akhenaten: 1:14am On Jan 11, 2011
Adiro akwu ofu ebe enene nmanwu (One does not stand on one spot to watch a masquerade)

Description and Significance

In Igbo culture, the masquerade embodies the spirit and human worlds. The mystique surrounding the masquerade is one the key components of the Igbo culture that survived Western influences It is generally believed in the Igboland that the masquerade is a spirit which springs from the soil. Depending on your point of view, it may be true or only a myth. The masquerades are classified into categories based on specialization. Each masquerade possesses particular attributes (warrior-like prowess, mystical powers, youthfulness, and old age) and specializes in one or more skills (dancing skills, acrobatics, and other ritual manifestations).

Masquerading may involve one person team or a team made up of instrument players, vocalists, dancers, masquerade advisers, and the masquerade itself. Most masquerades are covered from head to toe with some piece of clothing or/and bamboo rafters. Finally, a wooden mask is worn over the face. The mask will vary depending on the type of masquerade and the place of origin within the Igboland. Some masks are designed to be beautiful, intimidating or downright sinister. Most masquerades claim to have some mystical powers and are constantly competing to see which one has the most mystical powers, whenever they appear together especially at village squares or funerals.

The masquerade appears during traditional celebrations (funerals) and festivals (new yam festival). The level of apprehension and the noise that await the appearance of a masquerade, will vary, depending on the type of the masquerade, and the size and make-up of the audience.

1 Share

Re: Masquerades In Igboland by Akhenaten: 1:17am On Jan 11, 2011
The Igbo spirits are divided into two kinds, the visible and the invisible. Visible spirits take part in traditional festivals, while invisible ones stalk the village at night, shrieking. This is Iga, a spirit who keeps order.

Re: Masquerades In Igboland by Akhenaten: 1:19am On Jan 11, 2011
Masquerade by WAWA United

Re: Masquerades In Igboland by Akhenaten: 1:21am On Jan 11, 2011
Igbo funeral masquerade

Re: Masquerades In Igboland by Akhenaten: 1:24am On Jan 11, 2011
The Adamma Masquerade is an innovation that has broken the traditional masking, and the Masquerade/ Cultural group has spread to almost all the entire region of the Igbo land, Adamma’s beauty represents the Igbo woman and her beauty.

Re: Masquerades In Igboland by Akhenaten: 1:26am On Jan 11, 2011
Most of the Masquerades in Igbo land represent spirits but Adamma as much as it foretells the maiden spirit has no spiritual value like most Masquerades .

Re: Masquerades In Igboland by Akhenaten: 1:27am On Jan 11, 2011
Ogbodo Enyi dancer with participating viewers, Enyigba Izzi, 1983

Re: Masquerades In Igboland by Akhenaten: 1:29am On Jan 11, 2011
The spirits and ancestors of the community are embodied in masquerades, costumed performers who parade through the town.

Re: Masquerades In Igboland by Akhenaten: 1:30am On Jan 11, 2011
The spirits and ancestors of the community are embodied in masquerades, costumed performers who parade through the town.

Re: Masquerades In Igboland by Akhenaten: 1:33am On Jan 11, 2011
(masquerade from igboland)

Re: Masquerades In Igboland by Akhenaten: 1:34am On Jan 11, 2011
Igbo funeral masquerade, Oba

Re: Masquerades In Igboland by Akhenaten: 1:42am On Jan 11, 2011
Re: Masquerades In Igboland by Akhenaten: 1:44am On Jan 11, 2011
Re: Masquerades In Igboland by Akhenaten: 1:46am On Jan 11, 2011
Re: Masquerades In Igboland by Akhenaten: 1:55am On Jan 11, 2011
Re: Masquerades In Igboland by Akhenaten: 1:59am On Jan 11, 2011
Re: Masquerades In Igboland by dempeople(m): 2:37am On Jan 11, 2011
grin grin grin Interesting. Keep 'em coming. Reminds me of home.
Re: Masquerades In Igboland by FACE(m): 11:47am On Jan 28, 2011
Re: Masquerades In Igboland by ifyalways(f): 5:54pm On Jan 28, 2011
lol
Nostalgia.Can u get pictures of "ulaga" ,"aji-busu" angry (this one flogged me wellu wellu) and "Izaga".
Re: Masquerades In Igboland by ezeagu(m): 8:40pm On Jan 28, 2011
ifyalways:

lol
Nostalgia.Can u get pictures of "ulaga" ,"aji-busu" angry (this one flogged me wellu wellu) and "Izaga".

Where are these masks from?

Ijele, biggest (and rarest) mask in Africa.

[center][/center]
Re: Masquerades In Igboland by ifyalways(f): 9:30pm On Jan 28, 2011
^Onitsha.Ulaga is a very tall masquerade and shld be placed almost on same levels with Izaga.Im not sure now but i think Ulaga comes out only during funerals of titled men(ozo,agbalanze na ndi ichie ume) whilist aji busu is worn by boys with the sole purpose of hunting and flogging girls
Re: Masquerades In Igboland by ifyalways(f): 9:38pm On Jan 28, 2011
Ooops,Izaga is the one that wears white,carries and rings a bell to announce its presence and stands/walks on sticks(joined to its ankles or sumthin).Ulaga is always on black,immediately it comes and leaves  a funeral(titled men),the person is buried.Izaga is taller than Ulaga though.
Re: Masquerades In Igboland by FACE(m): 10:30pm On Jan 28, 2011
ifyalways:

Ooops,Izaga is the one that wears white,carrys and rings a bell to announce its presence and [b]stands/walks on sticks(joined to the ankles or sumthin).[/b]Ulaga is always on black,immediately it comes and leaves a funeral(titled men),the person is buried.Izaga is taller than Ulaga though

We also have that in Umuahia. They walk on sticks about a storey building high and some of them just hop about on one stick at alarming speed. We call them Nwa Nkelenke (otu ukwu or ukwu abou depending on number of sticks) I doubt that they are original to us though.
Re: Masquerades In Igboland by Freewilly(f): 1:49am On Jan 29, 2011
What ever happened to Akhenaten, he's stopped posting all the loving pictures cry

I used to look forward to coming on here to look at his numerous pictures.
Re: Masquerades In Igboland by ChinenyeN(m): 1:54am On Jan 29, 2011
Freewilly:

What ever happened to Akhenaten, he's stopped posting all the loving pictures cry

I used to look forward to coming on here to look at his numerous pictures.
He decided to get involved in the politics section.
Re: Masquerades In Igboland by ifyalways(f): 10:46am On Jan 29, 2011
Pictures of Aji busu. Im guessing the name aji busu was coined from the puss.ycat-like furs/rafters on their costume  undecided
Evidently,Its a small masquerade .

Re: Masquerades In Igboland by ezeagu(m): 10:18pm On Jan 29, 2011
FACE:

We also have that in Umuahia. They walk on sticks about a storey building high and some of them just hop about on one stick at alarming speed. We call them Nwa Nkelenke (otu ukwu or ukwu abou depending on number of sticks) I doubt that they are original to us though.

Which community in Umuahia?
Re: Masquerades In Igboland by FACE(m): 12:54am On Jan 30, 2011
ezeagu:

Which community in Umuahia?

Ubakala and Old Umuahia . I remember going to Apumiri Square in Ubakala when I was a kid to watch Nwankelenke during xmas. From what I observed, they did not go from place to place like other masquerades but performed in market/village squares during xmas. My own community is less than two miles from Ubakala. We are smark in the middle between Golden Guinea Breweries and The Ceramic Industry.

Do you know Umuahia ? Where do you know in Umuahia ?
Re: Masquerades In Igboland by Abagworo(m): 1:56pm On Jan 30, 2011
FACE:

Ubakala and Old Umuahia . I remember going to Apumiri Square in Ubakala when I was a kid to watch Nwankelenke during xmas. From what I observed, they did not go from place to place like other masquerades but performed in market/village squares during xmas. My own community is less than two miles from Ubakala. We are smark in the middle between Golden Guinea Breweries and The Ceramic Industry.

Do you know Umuahia ? Where do you know in Umuahia ?

That must be Olokoro.
Re: Masquerades In Igboland by FACE(m): 3:11pm On Jan 30, 2011
Abagworo:

That must be Olokoro.

Nope, part of Old Umuahia is Olokoro (Umu Uvuoma) and Umuobia. I am talking about Afara. and Ceramics are in Afara Ukwu and three clans and several kindreds make up Afara Ukwu. The land for Ceramics industry was taken from my Kindred especially and part of FGGC Umuahia (formely WTC) which is opposit Ceramics was our land as well. That area is an industrial belt with at least 7 industries from what I can remember. It forms a large chunk of Umuahia starting from Govt House to Umuobia (Olokoro) to timber shed to world bank estate - Holy Ghost College to Aguiyi Ironsi Estate.

You have a fair Idea of where Olokoro is though.
Re: Masquerades In Igboland by ifyalways(f): 5:24pm On Jan 30, 2011
^^chai chai Umuahia lee ooh.onye ga enyetum "ofe akpuru-akpu egusi" ?.O nwere ebe anyi na aga ata nsisa na afara,lol.Ala igbo amaka!
Re: Masquerades In Igboland by FACE(m): 6:13pm On Jan 30, 2011
ifyalways:

^^chai chai Umuahia lee ooh.onye ga enyetum "ofe akpuru-akpu egusi" ?.O nwere ebe anyi na aga ata nsisa na afara,lol.Ala igbo amaka!

Yeah, our signature soup- Ukazi with achara na aku ife (egusi balls) na anu na azu na okporoko. (no road in the soup at all) There is another type of akpuruakpu egusi that we eat with ugba or abacha (Jigbo), can't remember what we call it now.

Afara, one of the seven children of Ibeku.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Olubadan And His Wives Board A First Class Train In London. PICS / Ooni Reacts To Fire At Palace Of Oba Of Lagos / Prof. Ramon Nominated As The New Ooni Of Ife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.