Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,751 members, 7,809,877 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:28 PM

Being Black In Berlin/germany - Travel (63) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Being Black In Berlin/germany (159122 Views)

Nigerian Man Stranded & Acting Unwell In Berlin. Do You Know Him? / Nigerian Embassy Staff In Berlin Sleeping With Women For Passport Renewal Caught / Deji Yesufu: Coronavirus, Cancelled Flights In Berlin, Nigerian Saves Me (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (60) (61) (62) (63) (64) (65) (66) ... (95) (Go Down)

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Nobody: 8:24pm On Jul 27, 2020

10 Likes

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Nobody: 8:26pm On Jul 27, 2020

9 Likes

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Nobody: 8:27pm On Jul 27, 2020

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by SaintHilary(m): 8:29pm On Jul 27, 2020
See how this people use AMG Benz do Company car shocked

This life no just balance cry

2 Likes

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Nobody: 8:30pm On Jul 27, 2020
This is Mustafa Kebab and all those people are waiting to buy a Döner. There is usually a longer queue but because of Corona and the tourists are not here yet....

9 Likes

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Xeeex: 10:18pm On Jul 27, 2020
Danielhouston:

You can go to the Foreigners office with police and ask them to give it to you.

� Lol
Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Nobody: 10:50pm On Jul 27, 2020
I sight that beetle. Lol. Germans love VW die.
Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by neahyo(m): 11:12pm On Jul 27, 2020
In 2017, i and 2 friends decided to visit Cologne after exams. Since we were students, we didn't have to pay for the slow train but if we were to take the fast one we had to pay.

We took the slow train to Cologne and throughout the journey we weren't inspected. On our way back home, we decided to take the fast train without paying for tickets since we weren't inspected when coming. I was sleeping, dreaming of God knows what when i felt a hand on my shoulders, i opened my eyes - lo and behold it was the train inspectors, ah aye mi temi bami!

I was asked for my ticket, i tried to play smart as a Nigerian. First i said in english that i don't understand german, then one of them spoke english to me, chai which kind life be this undecided. Then i remembered I had some used tickets, i decided to pretend like i was searching for the tickets among the used ones hoping they will get tired or the train will get to my destination and they will let me go.

These guys patiently waited for me, in fact they took the seats behind us grin, my friends already paid 50€ each and they were waiting for me. The inspectors told me if i don't hurry up, i will be taken to the station, immediately i heard that i brought out my debit card to pay quickly.

My 50€ was gone just like that. It was a funny ride home, we still laugh about that incident till today.

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by GeeConn(m): 11:21pm On Jul 27, 2020
Danielhouston:

When it was time to sleep, mattress started appearing from nowhere. Even the couch was turned to a bed.

Lwtmb here oo grin
Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Mrbigman1(m): 5:22am On Jul 28, 2020
Danielhouston:
Germany is a lot safer than UK. I’ve never felt unsafe walking at night no matter what time it is. The police are very efficient and the streets are very beautiful and cared for.
Just the east of Germany and smaller cities is where you’ll likely have problems as a black person. Example: Leipzig, Dresden, Cottbus, Brunsweig etc... those are skin head Nazi cities.

One of the best things about Germany is transportation. You don’t have to wait at the bus stop. Just stay at home and check when the bus or train is coming via the mobile app, and you can go there in time.

I lived here for 7 years and I’ve never been stopped by police. Nobody ever stopped me to ask for my passport or documents. I heard it happened to some people but in all the cities I lived in, it never happened to me. Oh and the security cameras work. If you make a mess at the train station, police will be there in seconds.

I guess you have never being to Leipzig to type this fall accusatory word about it.
Leipzig is more Friendly City than Berlin.
Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Gerrard59(m): 6:00am On Jul 28, 2020
Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Daejoyoung: 6:09am On Jul 28, 2020
Mrbigman1:

I guess you have never being to Leipzig to type this fall accusatory word about it.
lol, ironically the first time I heard anyone gossip about my black skin was when I stayed in Leipzig for about 2 months. Then I studied in Magdeburg.
However, I still preferred Leipzig to Magdeburg even then, because it had a more vibrant Night life or social life than Magdeburg.

Magdeburg and some of these so called racist Eastern cities, in 2002 or 2005 may have been dangerous for the black man( physical danger), but things have changed drastically in many of the cities due to the universities that has attracted more black people there. However, the general stereotype about East Germany as a no go region for blacks due to violence would not easily go away until a few more years I guess.

Even economically, the East is changing and the Economy opening up for English speakers. For now though, I agree with the general sentiment of the op, that if you have a choice between small Eastern cities and the big cities, you should always choose the latter.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Mrbigman1(m): 6:21am On Jul 28, 2020
Daejoyoung:

lol, ironically the first time I heard anyone gossip about my black skin was when I stayed in Leipzig for about 2 months. Then I studied in Magdeburg.
However, I still preferred Leipzig to Magdeburg even then, because it had a more vibrant Night life or social life than Magdeburg.

Magdeburg and some of these so called racist Eastern cities, in 2002 or 2005 may have been dangerous for the black man( physical danger), but things have changed drastically in many of the cities due to the universities that has attracted more black people there. However, the general stereotype about East Germany in general as a no go region for blacks due to violence would not easily go away until a few more years I guess.

Even economically, the East is changing and the Economy opening up for English speakers. For now though, I agree with the general sentiment of the op, that if you have a choice between small Eastern cities and the big cities, you should always choose the latter.

I can’t agree less bro. Eastern states and cities were so primitive when we came in 3 years ago, I live in a small town close to Chemitz but right now, I go into Chemitz and walk around by midnight without a single worries unlike back then when the only blacks they are are those crossing the sea on TV.

Berlin is over populated and Dirty and Home for Turkish and Nazi, Leipzig is an hour from Berlin and so industrialized and international. People tend to come live in Leipzig and work in Berlin.
Leipzig can’t be a comparison but he can’t just say such things about Eastern states cos of stereotypes.

All the killings and pushing of ppl into train stations of last year all happened in western cities of Frankfurt, Duisburg......

Even the Dresden is the second most beautiful city in Germany after Munich. Chemitz is finer than a lot of western cities like Bremen.
Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Nobody: 6:34am On Jul 28, 2020
I hope it's not detailing. Mrbigman1, pls how's your experience in East Germany? And what's your take between it and west? And maybe other parts as well.

Different people have different experiences.

From DanielHouston's posts, I've crossed out anything Saxony as a no go. And west as better than east, safety wise.
Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Mrbigman1(m): 6:44am On Jul 28, 2020
Danielhouston:

That’s not true. Her husband will be coming as a “dependent”, while she’s a student. Which means she is responsible for his welfare and he is not allowed to work. She’s not coming on a work visa and she’s not an EU citizen. International students from non-EU countries can only bring their spouses with a tourist visa to visit, or as a dependent. None of which the spouse is allowed to work.

The husband Would be given unlimited work permit while hers would be limited.
Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Daejoyoung: 6:46am On Jul 28, 2020
0DDA0:
I hope it's not detailing. Mrbigman1, pls how's your experience in East Germany? And what's your take between it and west? And maybe other parts as well.

From DanielHouston's posts, I've crossed out anything Saxony as a no go. And west as better than east, safety wise.

Well my experience of East and West differs, even economically I prefer Leipzig and even Braunschweig to Rhinewaal in North Rhine-Westphalia. But in general, the west is more economically buoyant, it doesn't mean however that the east is poor.
In terms of safety, the east is generally not as dangerous as people think. It is not so different from other parts of Germany safety wise in my experience.

5 Likes

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Mrbigman1(m): 6:55am On Jul 28, 2020
0DDA0:

Of course west stands out. In everything both getting English jobs or even jobs without work permit or not even knowing how to salut in German. Jobs like KFC and McDonald’s, dhl, Amazon don’t really require u to know the language. Sachsen is the biggest and most industrialized eastern states save for Berlin. At least we have 3 VW plants and a Porsche plant in Leipzig that give 100s of students jobs when available.

See, in this country, you can be anywhere and get jobs anywhere you want, just know links to jobs finish and how to go About it.

When I got my first Mercedes job in Bremen, the guys I went to stay with in same city told me it’s not possible to get direct job that they have been in that city for 20 years, that I must go through an agency. Me that traveled 8 hours to come work you want to put fear in me? I worked and came back and they asked me how I did it.

Germany is a free country, there is no corner of the country you would go without seeing plenty of Nigerians, unless the schools in the city don’t offer English courses.
Racism has died down, what we are having now is systematic racism. We have come and changing the ideas they has about blacks, we work hard and smart and get good grades in school, use their women and dump them with reckless abandon, against their old notion that we re lazy, unintelligent and looking for paper.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Nobody: 7:09am On Jul 28, 2020
Mrbigman1:

just know links to jobs finish and how to go About it.

How do you get the links?
Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Bittertruth2020(f): 7:09am On Jul 28, 2020
Mrbigman1:

Thanks a lot! The OP writes as if he is under any a legal mandate to write on "everything" he is asked about, both areas he knows and ones he knows nothing about.

Coming to a public forum like this to declear all these cities and states you mentioned unsafe and deadly for a black man is not just unfortunate but misleading. It means the tens of thousands of black students, black workers and black families living in those aforementioned areas are stupid and don't love thier lives?

How on earth can someone stand in a bus station or in a gym and conclude that the entire state (that he doesn't live in) is deadly and risky for blacks just because he encountered some ill-mannered persons??

Does it mean that ALL other states you didn't mention are 100% void of such experiences or void of such mannerless racists?-Including Berlin?

Do you have the official Hate Crime Statistics of german cities before making these deductions and postulations? I thought you were a master degree holder?

That takes me to the fact that you earlier declined to answer someone here a question because of the legal connotation, I now ask you: can u stand and legally and defend the fact that you came on a National Forum like this to declear some German States deadly with dead bodies of blacks found regularly? You asked all Nigerian prospective students to avoid the cities and even turn down admission offers, can you defend this when contacted by the University unions of the states?

Write and inform, but stop making misleading exergerations. Decline any question you don't know about, dont answer with "I hear say"..
Some of us who have spent majority of our lives here in Germany can't even make these allegations you are making here or sound so sure in about cities.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by flyingpig: 7:37am On Jul 28, 2020
Bittertruth2020:
Thanks a lot! The OP writes as if he is under any a legal mandate to write on "everything" he is asked about, both areas he knows and ones he knows nothing about.

Coming to a public forum like this to declear all these cities and states you mentioned unsafe and deadly for a black man is not just unfortunate but misleading. It means the tens of thousands of black students, black workers and black families living in those aforementioned areas are stupid and don't love thier lives?

How on earth can someone stand in a bus station or in a gym and conclude that the entire state (that he doesn't live in) is deadly and risky for blacks just because he encountered some ill-mannered persons??

Does it mean that ALL other states you didn't mention are 100% void of such experiences or void of such mannerless racists?-Including Berlin?

Do you have the official Hate Crime Statistics of german cities before making these deductions and postulations? I thought you were a master degree holder?

That takes me to the fact that you earlier declined to answer someone here a question because of the legal connotation, I now ask you: can u stand and legally and defend the fact that you came on a National Forum like this to declear some German States deadly with dead bodies of blacks found regularly? You asked all Nigerian prospective students to avoid the cities and even turn down admission offers, can you defend this when contacted by the University unions of the states?

Write and inform, but stop making misleading exergerations. Decline any question you don't know about, dont answer with "I hear say"..
Some of us who have spent majority of our lives here in Germany can't even make these allegations you are making here or sound so sure in about cities.

See, when you experience racist comments in the first two hours of your visit to a city, it can quickly mar your perception of such city. It is very easy to experience more racist comments when you move further interior into the city after such early experience.

Let me also state that the OP is not on an official mission, so the purpose of statistics makes no sense to me. Everything here are purely his views and opinions, and you certainly should tone down the aggression in your post. I could taste the aggression a thousand miles away undecided Surely there are milder ways to correct than what you expressed undecided Everybody is entitled to an opinion, express yours and leave. That you chose not to give your own personal experience living and working in Germany, but opt to radically attack another sharing information and advice based on his own personal experience, speaks volumes. undecided I'm sure you saw how mild the person you quoted who corrected Danielhouston sounded. Compare it with yours. undecided

Please share your own opinions living and working in your parts of Germany and allow Viewers make their judgements. If you must correct anybody here, do so mildly or politely and don't spoil our beautiful thread with brawls. undecided

Danke cool

61 Likes

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by dualprince0280: 8:04am On Jul 28, 2020
Bittertruth2020:

bro,ur comment is soooo harsh, this not what we expected here.d OP is doing justice to lives in Germany and we are really catching up so many info.to build up ourselves.he(OP) has not in any ways brutally condemned/castigated Germany or cities in there.he loves Germany and making us see more reason to love and choose best of areas,as JJC.however,if u have lived in Germany for quite ages,even more than d OP.All we expected of u is to AID d forum with more facts and correction not condemnations,castigations and implications. pls,boss rephrase ur comment with more pleasant words and constructive and not threats.kind regards

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by Daejoyoung: 8:30am On Jul 28, 2020
Bittertruth2020:

Please take it easy on the op bro, he has been doing a great job here. The perception that east is so dangerous safety wise is not peculiar to the op and its' a perception shared by many Nigerians and people in other places in Germany. When I went to Berlin and Bremen, some Nigerians I met asked if I was safe in Magdeburg at the time, but Magdeburg was just normal to me. However, I heard Magdeburg was once more dangerous for blacks in say 2002 for instance, so it's the stereotype that lingers, and stereotypes do not die easily.

26 Likes

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by oyekan1997(m): 8:42am On Jul 28, 2020
Bittertruth2020:

Do you have either? Alabosi oshi. And what does being a master degree holder had to do with sharing one's experiences in Germany?

You're definitely brewing with hates and it's not good walahi. Na your type Daniel talk say make people avoid for African Stores. Hypocrite!

You've made just 2 posts on Nairaland so far, and they're all full of hates. You even went far and called him out on one Germany and Netherland thread like that.

Mehn! This life na war ooo

38 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by oyekan1997(m): 8:47am On Jul 28, 2020
dualprince0280:

he(OP) has not in any ways brutally condemned/castigated Germany or cities in there.

Exactly. Except few racist cities full of skin heads that he outrighly condemned.
Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by oyekan1997(m): 9:06am On Jul 28, 2020
Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by oyekan1997(m): 9:08am On Jul 28, 2020
Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by flyingpig: 9:29am On Jul 28, 2020
oyekan1997:

Do you have either? Alabosi oshi. And what does being a master degree holder had to do with sharing one's experiences in Germany?

You're definitely brewing with hates and it's not good walahi. Na your type Daniel talk say make people avoid for African Stores. Hypocrite!

You've made just 2 posts on Nairaland so far, and they're all full of hates. You even went far and called him out on one Germany and Netherland thread like that.

Mehn! This life na war ooo
That poster is so toxic!

1 Like

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by oyekan1997(m): 9:35am On Jul 28, 2020
flyingpig:
That poster is so toxic!

As in... So toxic my brother.

I don't just understand why people like dragging others down. It always sadden my heart. Haba!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by seankafor(m): 9:43am On Jul 28, 2020
I guess he/she wanted to spark a brawl that I'll make the Daniel disappear and abandon the thread again..

Danielhoistoun,if you re seein this, that is a clickbait.. don't attend to that miscreant..

Leave us..we will fight the war for you..

Just do what you keep doing..

And if that mugu misbehave here..I go track am real life and treat him fvckup ahswear angry

26 Likes

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by DAramis: 9:53am On Jul 28, 2020
seankafor:
And if that mugu misbehave here..I go track am real life and treat him fvckup ahswear angry

Bro, this is a public forum. Chose your words wisely before it will be labelled as threat.. grin

4 Likes

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by IamMe02: 10:36am On Jul 28, 2020
Bittertruth2020:

All I see in this post is unnecessary hatred. If you have a problem with the OP, Tell him. You don have to badmouth anyone before you think you're making sense. Ko necessary bro.
The OP is sharing his experiences on this thread and I don't know why you feel so pained by this.

18 Likes

Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by vhuqnl(m): 11:40am On Jul 28, 2020
Bittertruth2020:

Why do you people lie to be females when you are not?
You registered recently just to attack op, I put it to you, you are a Troll. And as such shouldn't be fed. Go back to your real username and post with it if you are not a coward. You too old for this.

11 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (60) (61) (62) (63) (64) (65) (66) ... (95)

Tell Us About The City Where You Live / A Comprehensive List Of The Documents Required For Visas / More Pictures Of The New Lagos Buses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.