Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,205 members, 7,818,701 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:06 PM

Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One (42310 Views)

I Lost A Colleague To An Explosion At Work In Kogi (Graphic Photos) / My Bitter Experience Doing A Security Guard Job / Am I Doing The Right Thing In My Workplace? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by Nobody: 7:22pm On May 04, 2020
Mike4S:
I graduated some years back, and never wanted to teach in secondary school‎ because of the trends in Nigerian education. I took to the labour market and focused only on primary schools. As the job did not come, I decided to include secondary schools.

One later came my way and it was the later. Having stayed long in the unemployment line, I accepted the offer. I started teaching and it was as I thought before. Having the hindsight, I did not bother. After all before the examination I will have gathered some amount. 

My colleagues were particularly vulnerable to the impact of our boss. Whenever they discuss, they always say all kind of things about the pressure from the boss. They saw it as an act of routine expediency that had to be done.

First term passed, second term passed, at this juncture, she called a meeting and we mustered. The major thrust of the meeting was the strategy to engage to pass the children.
She did not call it exam malpractice. She used a euphemistic language. At the end, she asked if we understood. Everybody nodded yes and gave an affirmative answer. This was at the end of the second term.

Soon it was time for the exam and the staff time table was out. It was arranged such that every teacher on duty will be supervising exam on the day his subject was to be taken. 

Choosing principle of expediency, I refused to take part in the exam malpractice I was uncomfortable with. 

The woman called and persuaded me to engage in the shady deal. I kept mute but inside me I had already made up my mind like the biblical Shedrack, Meshack, and Abednego.

The next day, I was on duty and I insisted on my principle of expediency. She simply gritted her teeth and moved on with it. 

Sometimes it is desirable for people to be free of fear of attack or sack as the case may be in order to invoke honest opinion.

The woman endured it because she did not have choice than to continue with me. Guess what! Some parents were ready to go with me! 
She endured it until the term ended. I was not surprised when she called me and announced my exit. 

Today, I am happy that i'm teaching in primary school where I am not forced to do exam malpractice. I'm even happy to have my pay raised.

Good one! Never ever Give in to evil even if the whole Crowd gives in..

1 Like

Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by puritysmart(m): 7:23pm On May 04, 2020
due to my observance, I can see the value of education
Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by bnovative(m): 7:24pm On May 04, 2020
I work in government mda that is responsible for recruitment, discipline, promotion, appeals and petitions, confirmation and conversion etc.
Normally for you to be promoted as a civil servant, You must need pass your promotion examination. And government would vote huge amounts of money for the promotion excercise.
Committees are set up to handle the events, starting from the pre-exams seminar to the exams proper.
I was placed in venue and logistics committee and was asked to make a budget for the purchase of some items needed; which I did.
I submitted it to the committee head and he asked me to up the pieces. He explained that allowances should be made for any unforeseen price increment.
I did and the amount stood at well over 400k
Money was released to our committee and then the head called and handed me a little above 100k, to go do the purchase. This was grossly inadequate for the real items that needed to be bought. I politely decline and asked that another be sent.
That was the beginning of "war" between me and the head. He felt I should sign as if I was given over 400k when I didn't receive such.
Thank God government work is different from private.
He can't sack me but he posted me out of the department.

17 Likes

Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by Nobody: 7:25pm On May 04, 2020
akinjojo1234:

What do you people gain by space booking? angry

Commenting early on a thread is like having a shop at the only entrance into a market. Such comments (in most cases) determine the flow of a thread; if you know what it feels like to be a landlord. Yeah, a laaandLORD.

Most importantly, commenting earlier on a thread increases your chances of getting 'likes'; the new currency stronger than pound and euro combined. I think that's something worth dying for.

As it is in the real world, so it is in the virtual world. It's all about competition; a morbid crave for attention; a silly race to nowhere; a rat race.

I think we all have the trait in our DNA, but the density varies.

22 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by romenna: 7:26pm On May 04, 2020
In my office, the CEO's wife brought a woman to work with us. Dis woman is a big theif, she pressures vendors to giv her kickback.
She was suspended and allowed to return to the amazement of all cos my company will normally fire anyone who commits fraud.
This woman returned and even increased the volume of her fraudulent acts.
She is untouchable!

9 Likes

Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by Nobody: 7:29pm On May 04, 2020
evilive:

Commenting earlier on a thread is like having a shop at the only entrance into a market. Such comments (in most cases) determine the flow of a thread; if you know what it feels like to be a pioneer member.

Most importantly, commenting earlier on a thread increases your chances of getting 'likes'; the new currency stronger than pound and euro combined. I think that's something worth dying for.

As it is in the real world, so it is in the virtual world. It's all about competition; a morbid crave for attention; a silly race to nowhere; a rat race.

I think we all have the trait in our DNA, but the density varies.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin I love this. Sarcasm at it's best. Nice choice of words grin cheesy grin
Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by Mordecai(m): 7:35pm On May 04, 2020
Happy to see a community of Nigerians who believe in doing the right thing whatever the cost, and living it up.

cheesy

6 Likes

Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by salford1: 7:39pm On May 04, 2020
If the kid's fail, parents will withdraw kids from the school, and school will fold up. Nigeria is very bad. Corruption everywhere.

1 Like

Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by iamlinco(m): 7:42pm On May 04, 2020
EzeNdiAra:

So we should clap for you?
Lol, mad people full Nairaland. Ezigbo EzenNdiAra
Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by irunoko(m): 7:43pm On May 04, 2020
Kizzygentle:
In dis life there is nothing like right or wrong to succeed. Just be in d game and follow d trend. Gone are d days u try to be honest. Even honest workers are been fired for been honest and they regret not been honest. God himself will understand. Its survival. The world has changed and we need to be updated with d changes.
a good name is better than silver or gold.ask goddy anabor,Cecelia ibru or tafa balogun lipsrsealed

2 Likes

Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by ThefemaleKing: 7:44pm On May 04, 2020
paulGrundy:
a fraudstar once approached me with a deak to help him open an account and manipulate the system for him in order to evade surveillance of monitoring agencies e.g EFCC. I would gain about 5 million for every 50 million he wired successful plus I would hit and surpass my target. It was very tempting as an ET fighting hard to be promoted to an ABO, but my conscience would not let me. after having sleepless night, I called him and politely turned down the offer.
Awesome! Nice move. No SET in between?
Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by Nobody: 7:46pm On May 04, 2020
Davash222:
During my PPA, we were forced by the principal to pass everyone after the 3rd term exam. The pain of wasting your starched shirt coming to school Monday to Friday, teaching SS1 blockheads that can't recite 36 states and capitals couldn't allow me to obey the principal's order. I added extra 10 marks to all of them out of my benevolence yet none scored above 50.
The principal asked me to re-mark the scripts, I refused. My head teacher did the wayo for them. The principal refused giving me clearance form for that month.

If no student reached 50% in ur class at the end of the term, then u failed as a teacher.

I won't blame u for it cuz u are not a trained teacher

1 Like

Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by irunoko(m): 7:46pm On May 04, 2020
EzeNdiAra:

yes these are the people worth celebrating

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by lawrenzo007(m): 7:47pm On May 04, 2020
There are still good people in Nigeria but they are not given the opportunity to make things change for good because of the bad eggs in realm of power...

Just keep up with the good work no matter the oppression and hatred from the wicked, evil and corrupt superiors.

2 Likes

Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by franugo(m): 7:48pm On May 04, 2020
paulGrundy:

the way our system works is from MT = ET = ABO = - - -

MT meaning?? Dts a nice system sha...ours is terribly long....

1 Like

Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by paulGrundy(m): 7:49pm On May 04, 2020
franugo:

MT meaning?? Dts a nice system sha...ours is terribly long....
management trainee.
Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by Kaysalas(m): 7:50pm On May 04, 2020
Davash222:
During my PPA, we were forced by the principal to pass everyone after the 3rd term exam. The pain of wasting your starched shirt coming to school Monday to Friday, teaching SS1 blockheads that can't recite 36 states and capitals couldn't allow me to obey the principal's order. I added extra 10 marks to all of them out of my benevolence yet none scored above 50.
The principal asked me to re-mark the scripts, I refused. My head teacher did the wayo for them. The principal refused giving me clearance form for that month.
Which state was this?
Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by salford1: 7:50pm On May 04, 2020
One of my class mate left my school for another to write SSCE and subsequently jamb at the same school's tutorial lesson. The other school was well known for runs back then in 1999. Iran they buy out JB centres. Your parents also have to be loaded to afford the school and their tutorials for jamb. Well, my classmate had excellent result due to runs. He is now a doctor in the UK. cheesy

Interestingly, his parents were deeper life members.

Laws are made for poor people in Nigeria and some other parts of the world.

OP, you know what they say about a teacher's reward right.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by salford1: 7:54pm On May 04, 2020
SocialJustice:
Do which needful, person is on her way to become executive director, you're speaking English.
grin

1 Like

Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by salford1: 7:56pm On May 04, 2020
pocohantas:

How am I sure you guys know what you were marking? Nigerian graduates are not so smart either. grin grin
Aunty, you want to break the table grin
Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by songzDaniel01(m): 7:59pm On May 04, 2020
Kizzygentle:
In dis life there is nothing like right or wrong to succeed. Just be in d game and follow d trend. Gone are d days u try to be honest. Even honest workers are been fired for been honest and they regret not been honest. God himself will understand. Its survival. The world has changed and we need to be updated with d changes.
God won't understand, no matter what u face!! Be honest and truthful. God understands honesty and truthfulness!

3 Likes

Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by Mac2016(m): 8:03pm On May 04, 2020
Roon9:
Yea! I once got a contract job as a civil engineer. It was a federal project. Omo there were using 14 headpan of sand to 1 bag of cement.

First day on the job i was quoting BS codes upandan. It wasnt upto 1hour i got a call from Abuja (The contractor).

I hail naija
grin grin grin. I laugh in Wuhan Language grin grin grin

Hope it's not a story building project... If na drainage or RC Cantilever Retaining Wall.. It is still better
Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by Roon9(m): 8:05pm On May 04, 2020
Mac2016:

grin grin grin. I laugh in Wuhan Language grin grin grin

Hope it's not a story building project... If na drainage or RC Cantilever Retaining Wall.. It is still better

Drainage grin

1 Like

Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by CodeTemplar: 8:06pm On May 04, 2020
EzeNdiAra:

Someone did the right thing and you are talking like a retárded being there.

3 Likes

Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by EzeNdiAra: 8:09pm On May 04, 2020
CodeTemplar:
Someone did the right thing and you are talking like a retárded being there.

What's your definition of ''right''?
Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by CodeTemplar: 8:12pm On May 04, 2020
Good thread.

1 Like

Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by Brite100: 8:16pm On May 04, 2020
May God richly bless you OP. Keep on doing the right thing. Sooner than you think, you'll be mightily rewarded. ��

2 Likes

Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by iamlinco(m): 8:23pm On May 04, 2020
Roon9:
Yea! I once got a contract job as a civil engineer. It was a federal project. Omo there were using 14 headpan of sand to 1 bag of cement.

First day on the job i was quoting BS codes upandan. It wasnt upto 1hour i got a call from Abuja (The contractor).

I hail naija
Good evening sir, pls i'm an exterior building decorator

I do parapet, window-hood designs, pillar designs, borderline etc.....

I'm an experienced professional,
I will give your building unique and amazing designs.

I will drop my contact if you request sir. thanks

Op sorry for derailing your thread

1 Like

Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by Honeydenz(f): 8:24pm On May 04, 2020
seunH:
I remembered one case, around 2013 when I was handling a sensitive course for final year students. I personally usually made my course ridiculously easy so as to avoid these kind of rubbish. Fast forward to after their exams, that was when the deputy HOD called me and gave me 3 lists, the first one was the faculty list, second one was the HOD's list and the last, his own personal list. Luckily for me, been that the exam was ridiculously easy majority of those in the list passed my course without any assistance except for one girl like that. Merely seeing her you will know she is a runs girl because I had even caught her at night bribing the school security official at night while smuggling out of the school. When I checked her script, I saw she scored 9/70 in exam and her CA was around 10/30. I then told the deputy HOD that his request wasn't possible because even if I gave the girl 30/30 in CA (which is suspicious), 30 plus 9 is still 39 which is still F, and remember in tertiary institutions you don't keep exam scripts rather you return to the school hence cannot be easily manipulated because in future it can be vetted. Long story short, the man insisted I gave her at least C which I declined and that created bad blood between us. Its point of note that this man in now the HOD so you can imagine the rest of the story.....!!!!
U were just being stubborn, you can assist her if u wanted, not the righteous quotes u just put up out here.
Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by Nobody: 8:25pm On May 04, 2020
CodeTemplar:

Did you mistakenly disable ur auto-correct

grin grin grin grin grin Kai, nairaland. I come here for laughs. You are wicked cheesy
Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by kalu61(m): 8:29pm On May 04, 2020
Mike4S:
I graduated some years back, and never wanted to teach in secondary school‎ because of the trends in Nigerian education. I took to the labour market and focused only on primary schools. As the job did not come, I decided to include secondary schools.

One later came my way and it was the later. Having stayed long in the unemployment line, I accepted the offer. I started teaching and it was as I thought before. Having the hindsight, I did not bother. After all before the examination I will have gathered some amount. 

My colleagues were particularly vulnerable to the impact of our boss. Whenever they discuss, they always say all kind of things about the pressure from the boss. They saw it as an act of routine expediency that had to be done.

First term passed, second term passed, at this juncture, she called a meeting and we mustered. The major thrust of the meeting was the strategy to engage to pass the children.
She did not call it exam malpractice. She used a euphemistic language. At the end, she asked if we understood. Everybody nodded yes and gave an affirmative answer. This was at the end of the second term.

Soon it was time for the exam and the staff time table was out. It was arranged such that every teacher on duty will be supervising exam on the day his subject was to be taken. 

Choosing principle of expediency, I refused to take part in the exam malpractice I was uncomfortable with. 

The woman called and persuaded me to engage in the shady deal. I kept mute but inside me I had already made up my mind like the biblical Shedrack, Meshack, and Abednego.

The next day, I was on duty and I insisted on my principle of expediency. She simply gritted her teeth and moved on with it. 

Sometimes it is desirable for people to be free of fear of attack or sack as the case may be in order to invoke honest opinion.

The woman endured it because she did not have choice than to continue with me. Guess what! Some parents were ready to go with me! 
She endured it until the term ended. I was not surprised when she called me and announced my exit. 

Today, I am happy that i'm teaching in primary school where I am not forced to do exam malpractice. I'm even happy to have my pay raised.
Much respect! Keep it you.
Re: Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One by Nobody: 8:31pm On May 04, 2020
Kizzygentle:

Wrong! God will never understand any of such misguided reasoning because he never changes is principals which are always the best. What is bad is bad. Doing the right thing comes with blessings too.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? / What Is The Start Up Salary Of An Air Force Recruit With SSCE? / How Much Is Your Current Salary?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.