Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,948 members, 7,814,215 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:11 AM

Cost Of Maintaining Mercedes C300 - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Cost Of Maintaining Mercedes C300 (7259 Views)

Engine Cost Of Mercedes C300 2013 / Keep Your Vehicle In Shape By Maintaining These 7 Fluids / Someone Learning How To Drive With Mercedes Benz C300 In Abuja (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cost Of Maintaining Mercedes C300 by ElasticStone(m): 7:23am On May 04, 2020
Guys, I am looking at acquiring a german machine soon, prefarably a C300. I will be using it from home to office and travel for 400 to 500km on rare occasions. How much should I budget for maintenance pls? Can anyone give me a break down for the maintenance to be carried out regularly and the costs?

Thanks in advance.

Cc: gazzuzz, autojosh, lalasticlala
Re: Cost Of Maintaining Mercedes C300 by jeffizy(m): 7:27am On May 04, 2020
Following
Re: Cost Of Maintaining Mercedes C300 by HeavenlyBang(m): 10:43am On May 04, 2020
Better than a BMW at least. Keep like 500k rain-day maintenence budget yearly. Could be lucky and only spend 100k out of that.

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Maintaining Mercedes C300 by yungboss(m): 11:18am On May 04, 2020
HeavenlyBang:
Better than a BMW at least. Keep like 500k rain-day maintenence budget yearly. Could be lucky and only spend 100k out of that.
It depends on the BMW.

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Maintaining Mercedes C300 by HeavenlyBang(m): 11:21am On May 04, 2020
yungboss:

It depends on the BMW.

Meh, even an E90 328i probably isn't as reliable.
Re: Cost Of Maintaining Mercedes C300 by NaijadrivaCars: 11:22am On May 04, 2020
Make I wait here.

Op, Mercedes Benz is a luxury brand. Make sure you won't hesitate to do maintenance. No be corrola you wan buy o.

Sensors way de that car plenty but it is all to give you luxurious and solid driving experience.
Re: Cost Of Maintaining Mercedes C300 by yungboss(m): 11:33am On May 04, 2020
ElasticStone:
Guys, I am looking at acquiring a german machine soon, prefarably a C300. I will be using it from home to office and travel for 400 to 500km on rare occasions. How much should I budget for maintenance pls? Can anyone give me a break down for the maintenance to be carried out regularly and the costs?

Thanks in advance.

Cc: gazzuzz, autojosh, lalasticlala
I can't tell exactly, I have been using the c350 since July 2019 I have changed the compressor once, and that is the ONLY thing I have replaced. Car used almost on a daily basis until the lockdown. The car is reliable in my opinion.

4 Likes

Re: Cost Of Maintaining Mercedes C300 by yungboss(m): 11:34am On May 04, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

Meh, even an E90 328i probably isn't as reliable.
What things break on the e90?

Modified-
The BMW of that era is just as reliable, 330i, 328i, 325i etc.
Reliability depends on preventive maintenance and usage. So that's why most times I find it hard to give a verdict specially when they are similar cars and not high end models.
The high end models are expensive but anyone who can afford maintenance on a c300, can afford to maintain an e90.
Re: Cost Of Maintaining Mercedes C300 by HeavenlyBang(m): 11:37am On May 04, 2020
yungboss:

HPFP, Vanos, DISA, water pump. Turbos also tend to grenade on the N54.
Re: Cost Of Maintaining Mercedes C300 by yungboss(m): 11:43am On May 04, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

HPFP, Vanos, DISA, water pump. Turbos also tend to grenade on the N54.
I meant the 328i not the TT 335s...
DISA isn't what breaks regularly, vanos can be used as long as the life of the car provided you use good 5w30/5w40 oil..
Re: Cost Of Maintaining Mercedes C300 by HeavenlyBang(m): 11:46am On May 04, 2020
yungboss:

I meant the 328i not the TT 335s...
DISA isn't what breaks regularly, vanos can be used as long as the life of the car provided you use good 5w30/5w40 oil..

I'll concede, most complaints are with the 335is. Water pumps are a universal issue with the e90, though. And that's a no-go for someone who travels a lot.

Ask King406 how his experience with the E90 was.

yungboss:

Modified-
The BMW of that era is just as reliable, 330i, 328i, 325i etc.
Reliability depends on preventive maintenance and usage. So that's why most times I find it hard to give a verdict specially when they are similar cars and not high end models.
The high end models are expensive but anyone who can afford maintenance on a c300, can afford to maintain an e90.

I think that's a fair assertion.
Re: Cost Of Maintaining Mercedes C300 by yungboss(m): 11:58am On May 04, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

I'll concede, most complaints are with the 335is. Water pumps are a universal issue with the e90, though. And that's a no-go for someone who travels a lot.

Yes, water pump can go too. But I ll always advice to replace the one with plastic impeller once purchased. The plumbing tubes need to be inspected too. They can be frail atimes, that's generally their weak points.
Re: Cost Of Maintaining Mercedes C300 by HeavenlyBang(m): 12:03pm On May 04, 2020
yungboss:

Yes, water pump can go too. But I ll always advice to replaced the one with plastic impeller once purchased. The plumbing tubes need to be inspected too. They can be frail atimes, that's generally their weak points.

Do you own the three cars in your signature concurrently?
Re: Cost Of Maintaining Mercedes C300 by yungboss(m): 12:21pm On May 04, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

Do you own the three cars in your signature concurrently?
Yes I own them...all at home.
Re: Cost Of Maintaining Mercedes C300 by HeavenlyBang(m): 1:33pm On May 04, 2020
yungboss:

Yes I own them...all at home.

Sounds amazing! What modern Bimmer would you recommend to someone who likes fast cars that don't break down?

Always been a big fan of the 335i but the horror stories dey scare me. Or would one have to go much newer to something with a B28 in order to get a more reliable model?
Re: Cost Of Maintaining Mercedes C300 by ElasticStone(m): 1:55pm On May 04, 2020
If the cost of maintaining A c300 is around 500k p.a, then I might just opt for a corolla. Perhaps a 2014 model. Thank you guys for your insight.

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Maintaining Mercedes C300 by HeavenlyBang(m): 2:03pm On May 04, 2020
ElasticStone:
If the cost of maintaining A c300 is around 500k p.a, then I might just opt for a corolla. Perhaps a 2014 model. Thank you guys for your insight.

No one said that. Literally no one on this thread has said that.

I said budget 500k as a rainy day piggy fund, in case something like your EIS dies, or you need to replace a HVAC component.

That doesn't mean you'll spend 500k, it's just a sensible thing to do when dealing with a luxury car. Na from that money you go still service the car three times a year, change suspension parts in case they go out. Someone who owns a C350 literally just said he's only changed his compressor in nine months of ownership.

4 Likes

Re: Cost Of Maintaining Mercedes C300 by telim: 2:28pm On May 04, 2020
yungboss:

I can't tell exactly, I have been using the c350 since July 2019 I have changed the compressor once, and that is the ONLY thing I have replaced. Car used almost on a daily basis until the lockdown. The car is reliable in my opinion.

Bro does c350 and c300 cost the same to maintain? Would you recommend c300 or c350? I intend to buy either one of them after the inters state lock down.
Re: Cost Of Maintaining Mercedes C300 by ElasticStone(m): 2:54pm On May 04, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

I said budget 500k as a rainy day piggy fund, in case something like your EIS dies, or you need to replace a HVAC component.

That doesn't mean you'll spend 500k, it's just a sensible thing to do when dealing with a luxury car. Na from that money you go still service the car three times a year, change suspension parts in case they go out. Someone who owns a C350 literally just said he's only changed his compressor in nine months of ownership.

If that's the case then its fine. Thanks for the clarification.

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Maintaining Mercedes C300 by HeavenlyBang(m): 2:59pm On May 04, 2020
telim:

Bro does c350 and c300 cost the same to maintain? Would you recommend c300 or c350? I intend to buy either one of them after the inters state lock down.

C300 for economy, C350 for performance. C300 is also a lot more accessible and cheaper.
Re: Cost Of Maintaining Mercedes C300 by yungboss(m): 4:32pm On May 04, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

Sounds amazing! What modern Bimmer would you recommend to someone who likes fast cars that don't break down?

Always been a big fan of the 335i but the horror stories dey scare me. Or would one have to go much newer to something with a B28 in order to get a more reliable model?
The Infiniti g35/37 is faster than both the 330i and the 328i, they are both easier to live with than the 335i (as you already know). I desire one of those turbocharged engines beyond the 750li ownership. What about the f30 328i for example? though 4cyl turbo...it is faster than the e90 330i and 328i. Truth is, non of these cars' performance will be underwhelming for you, they are finely balanced cars with responsive throttle. Maintenance of BMWs is what I have been used to so if I replace certain things like water pump, sort out cooling issues, I wouldn't consider it a problem...but coming from a g35/37, which perhaps might not need those sort of repairs, you may find it a bit burdensome. People sort of have different tolerance levels, I'm tolerant with the little headaches I experience, so my advice might be really subjective but I guess you understand these things...

4 Likes

Re: Cost Of Maintaining Mercedes C300 by HeavenlyBang(m): 4:48pm On May 04, 2020
yungboss:

The Infiniti g35/37 is faster than both the 330i and the 328i, they are both easier to live with than the 335i (as you already know). I desire one of those turbocharged engines beyond the 750li ownership. What about the f30 328i for example? though 4cyl turbo...it is faster than the e90 330i and 328i. Truth is, non of these cars' performance will be underwhelming for you, they are finely balanced cars with responsive throttle. Maintenance of BMWs is what I have been used to so if I replace certain things like water pump, sort out cooling issues, I wouldn't consider it a problem...but coming from a g35/37, which perhaps might not need those sort of repairs, you may find it a bid burdensome. People sort of have different tolerance levels, I'm tolerant with the little headaches I experience, so my advice might be really subjective but I guess you understand these things...

Thanks, chief. That was informative and objective, something hard to get with most users these days.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Cost Of Maintaining Mercedes C300 by ogbuefi677(m): 7:47pm On May 04, 2020
yungboss:

Tell them ooo.
Re: Cost Of Maintaining Mercedes C300 by ogbuefi677(m): 7:57pm On May 04, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

Even if he's gonna be using the car for Uber,there's no way he'll service it 3X yearly.
Original mobil 0 or 5W 40 says change oil at 10k miles or 1 year, whichever comes first.
The C350 with a failed compressor is apparently a tokumbo,it could've also failed abroad while being used by d previous owners, a compressor is not a part that can be abused easily unlike suspension parts.
I have 3 friends who use the W204,the EIS has not failed on any of their cars.

4 Likes

Re: Cost Of Maintaining Mercedes C300 by HeavenlyBang(m): 8:04pm On May 04, 2020
ogbuefi677:

Even if he's gonna be using the car for Uber,there's no way he'll service it 3X yearly.
Original mobil 0 or 5W 40 says change oil at 10k miles or 1 year, whichever comes first.
The C350 with a failed compressor is apparently a tokumbo,it could've also failed abroad while being used by d previous owners, a compressor is not a part that can be abused easily unlike suspension parts.
I have 3 friends who use the W204,the EIS has not failed on any of their cars.

Lol, only an idiot stays 10k miles between oil changes. Most reputable sources will tell you a max of 5k miles. I try not to get past 4k miles.

No one said his compressor will fail. I bet Yungboss didn't expect his to fail either.

Search this forum, there are dozens of cases of EIS failure. Your three friends not having had that issue means a grand total of nothing. Anecdotal evidence is useless.

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Maintaining Mercedes C300 by 9icetoo(m): 8:25pm On May 04, 2020
yungboss:

The Infiniti g35/37 is faster than both the 330i and the 328i, they are both easier to live with than the 335i (as you already know). I desire one of those turbocharged engines beyond the 750li ownership. What about the f30 328i for example? though 4cyl turbo...it is faster than the e90 330i and 328i. Truth is, non of these cars' performance will be underwhelming for you, they are finely balanced cars with responsive throttle. Maintenance of BMWs is what I have been used to so if I replace certain things like water pump, sort out cooling issues, I wouldn't consider it a problem...but coming from a g35/37, which perhaps might not need those sort of repairs, you may find it a bid burdensome. People sort of have different tolerance levels, I'm tolerant with the little headaches I experience, so my advice might be really subjective but I guess you understand these things...
I have a soft spot for BMW's. I was half expecting you to go balls out in their defence but you were very objective in your analysis. Well done. I hope a few people learn how write like you.
Nice rides.
When the coast is clear, I won't mind an E46 six cylinder manual. Always loved that car.
To the op who wants to buy the c300, it's not a bad car.
One of its biggest issues has already been mentioned here.
It's not a death sentence and having 500k in reserve for the rainy day applies to even the corolla you mentioned. If the transmission or engine goes south on any of those cars, you'd need about the same amount to get it back on the road.
The car is quite common now so the knowledge in fixing it abounds.

2 Likes

Re: Cost Of Maintaining Mercedes C300 by ogbuefi677(m): 9:26pm On May 04, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

Lol, only an idiot stays 10k miles between oil changes. Most reputable sources will tell you a max of 5k miles. I try not to get past 4k miles.

No one said his compressor will fail. I bet Yungboss didn't expect his to fail either.

Search this forum, there are dozens of cases of EIS failure. Your three friends not having had that issue means a grand total of nothing. Anecdotal evidence is useless.
Re: Cost Of Maintaining Mercedes C300 by HeavenlyBang(m): 9:33pm On May 04, 2020
ogbuefi677:

Why can't you products of broken homes ever offer your opinion without cursing?
What brought 'idiot' into this discourse?
I'm not responsible for your coming from a riotous home where papa beats mama everyday, hence everything is a fight for you.

For the purpose of d thread, whoever is interested should read up a lot of vehicle hx of tokumbo cars on carfax,autocheck,etc ,you'll see many cars esp privately used cars get once a year oil change.
The Dru guy who sells oil here does it on his cars used for Uber in Lagos here and it has been working,we're talking of synthetic oil here not mineral oil.
And I'm not just talking about d W204,I've owned one for 4yrs now.I've read d manual of that car in and out including the Mobil oil service manual that came with it.
Only thing I spend money on that car and which is not often is d suspension components esp linkages,arms and 5k shaft hose cos I'm a stickler for handling, so i notice any little change easily and attend to it promptly.
The only thing that makes me open d bonnet of that car is oil change once in 8-10 months and engine air filter which I change with the oil.
After going back and forth on tokumbo shocks,I bought original sachs shocks for 115k and it has been serving for nearly 2 years now.

Never called you an idiot, no idea why you're taking offense.

If you take 10k miles between oil changes, you should stop that. That's not good for your engine. Even best case scenario with synthetic is 7500 miles, and that's for those who mostly have highway miles. City driving is a lot more strenuous.
Re: Cost Of Maintaining Mercedes C300 by king406(m): 12:19am On May 05, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

I think that's a fair assertion.
335i that will make you to be smiling and crying at the same time grin cry still one of the greatest cars i’ve ever driven.

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Maintaining Mercedes C300 by Praxtech: 7:51am On May 05, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

You don't have to go to the dark spaces. Be civil.
Re: Cost Of Maintaining Mercedes C300 by diportivo: 11:06am On May 05, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

Never called you an idiot, no idea why you're taking offense.

If you take 10k miles between oil changes, you should stop that. That's not good for your engine. Even best case scenario with synthetic is 7500 miles, and that's for those who mostly have highway miles. City driving is a lot more strenuous.

why wld anyone take 10k miles between oil change tho??

the thing dey always surprise me

or a whole year? angry

the engine sales market will always thrive.....if it's not mineral oil usage,it will be the abuse of synthetic oil itself
Re: Cost Of Maintaining Mercedes C300 by Praxtech: 11:10am On May 05, 2020
diportivo:

why wld anyone take 10k miles between oil change tho??

the thing dey always surprise me

or a whole year? angry

the engine sales market will always thrive.....if it's not mineral oil usage,it will be the abuse of synthetic oil itself
Our choice. We can decide to use 12000 miles.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Do People Prefer Toyota To Hyundai? / Lexus Rx 300 Or Highlander / Share Your First Driving Experience On The Road

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.