Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,683 members, 7,955,536 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 08:36 AM

Nigeria Holds First Online Court Sitting In Lagos, Man Sentenced To Death - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Nigeria Holds First Online Court Sitting In Lagos, Man Sentenced To Death (1223 Views)

How Police Slapped Me & Withdrew ₦390k From My Account In Lagos - Man / Somalian Woman Shot In Clitoris By Stray Bullet While Sitting In Her Living Room / ”How My Ringing Tone Saved Me From Ritualists' Den In Lagos” – Man Reveals (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Holds First Online Court Sitting In Lagos, Man Sentenced To Death by Omooba77: 7:52pm On May 04, 2020
The first virtual court session, which held 
in Nigeria at Ikeja High Court in Lagos on Monday saw the sentencing to death of one Olalekan Hameed for a December 1, 2018 murder of Mrs Jolasun Okunsanya, 76, the mother of his employer, at the time.

Participants from the bar included the state’s Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice, Moyosore Onigbanjo (SAN), the prosecutor, Ms Titilayo Shitta-Bey, and some senior lawyers like Funke Adekoya SAN, Tayo Oyetibo SAN, Olukayode Enitan SAN, amongst others.

Delivering the judgment via video conferencing platform, Zoom, Justice Mojisola Dada said, “The sentence of this court upon you, Olalekan Hameed, is that you be hanged by the neck until you be pronounced dead and may the Lord have mercy upon your soul. This is the virtual judgment of the court.”

The proceedings were approved by Chief Judge, Justice Kazeem Alogba, in line with the Lagos State Judiciary Remote Hearing of Cases COVID-19 Pandemic Period Practice Direction.

Justice Dada conducted proceedings from High Court 10 in Ikeja, the defendant Hameed was at Kirikiri Maximum Correctional Centre, Apapa, while the counsels were at different locations.

Judicial Officers including Justice Alogba, Justice Oluwatoyin Ipaye, Justice Josephine Oyefeso, Justice Sherifat Solebo, Justice Afeez Dabiri, Justice Roli Harriman, amongst others, also participated.

The court session for the charge marked ID/9006C/2019, held online via a video app Zoom. It began at 11am and ended before 2pm.

The judge, defendant, his team of counsel, the prosecution team led by Lagos State Solicitor-General Ms Titilayo Shitta-Bey and all witnesses participetd in the session remotely from different locations via the Zoom app.

Hameed was arraigned on March 6, 2019 on a two-count charge of murder and stealing on Charge No. ID/9006C/2019, The Nation reports.

The court heard that he committed the offence at about 12:30pm at plot 83, Owukori Crescent, Alaka Estate, Surulere, Lagos.

He pleaded not guilty, following which trial commenced.

The prosecution called several witnesses and tendered exhibits including the coroner’s report, stolen N97, 500 and $117 recovered from the defendant and a confessional statement, among others.

“The only money I took was the N1, 000, any other money I don’t know about it. I did not kill Mrs Jolaso Ogunsanya,” Hakeem told the judge during the trial.

But Justice Dada noted that prosecution witnesses’ testimonies that Hakeem was the only one with the deceased at the time of death and he was also seen scaling the fence of the deceased’s building afterwards, among others, were not disproved.

http://saharareporters.com/2020/05/04/nigeria-holds-first-online-court-sitting-lagos-man-sentenced-death-murder
Re: Nigeria Holds First Online Court Sitting In Lagos, Man Sentenced To Death by SeverusSnape(m): 7:54pm On May 04, 2020
Wow
Re: Nigeria Holds First Online Court Sitting In Lagos, Man Sentenced To Death by Praxtech: 7:59pm On May 04, 2020
Record breaking
Re: Nigeria Holds First Online Court Sitting In Lagos, Man Sentenced To Death by Nobody: 8:06pm On May 04, 2020
Wonderful. This one is called audio/visual sentencing.
RIP to the wicked.
Re: Nigeria Holds First Online Court Sitting In Lagos, Man Sentenced To Death by gaby(m): 8:23pm On May 04, 2020
Ah,

If na me be the guy, I go sue the judge and the audiovisual court to court for wrongful carriage of justice.

She go explain where e dey for our constitution to do that kind court sitting.

My argument go be say, na my right to dey look the judge eyeball to eyeball as him dey sentence me.

Anything to delay the execution of the judgment is fair game.
Re: Nigeria Holds First Online Court Sitting In Lagos, Man Sentenced To Death by Jide11CAC: 9:53pm On May 04, 2020
We are getting there
Re: Nigeria Holds First Online Court Sitting In Lagos, Man Sentenced To Death by JESUSisKING1: 10:24pm On May 04, 2020
If you cannot do the times, don't do the crime. In which ever way court sits,justice must be served
Some day,one day, all of us will appear before the judgment seat of God and it is ONLY the people who have washed their robes with the blood of JESUS that will escape!
Repent and invite JESUS into your life before it will be too late
Re: Nigeria Holds First Online Court Sitting In Lagos, Man Sentenced To Death by willyo(m): 12:34am On May 05, 2020
See pepper eye. Money noh fit change hand again the judge para grin
Re: Nigeria Holds First Online Court Sitting In Lagos, Man Sentenced To Death by Omooba77: 8:08am On May 05, 2020
Funny enough Hammed is lieing, he killed the woman, other people were still in the car waiting for mama, but when mama took long they went to check and find her dead. It was like a film. The mama used to attend Arch Bishop Vinning, Ikeja.
Re: Nigeria Holds First Online Court Sitting In Lagos, Man Sentenced To Death by Omooba77: 12:35pm On May 05, 2020
willyo:
See pepper eye. Money noh fit change hand again the judge para grin

The man killed the old woman in a gruesome manner. I knew much about the case because, I know someone who is a friend to one of mama's daughters

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Holds First Online Court Sitting In Lagos, Man Sentenced To Death by willyo(m): 1:41pm On May 05, 2020
Omooba77:

The man killed the old woman in a gruesome manner. I knew much about the case because, I know someone who is a friend to one of mama's daughters
Not all murder cases is justified with death sentence as penalty
Re: Nigeria Holds First Online Court Sitting In Lagos, Man Sentenced To Death by EJIOGBENIMI(m): 5:12am On May 06, 2020
Judgement well served. Such a wicked criminal.
Re: Nigeria Holds First Online Court Sitting In Lagos, Man Sentenced To Death by Omooba77: 2:49pm On May 06, 2020
A nation where people dont want progress but remain in servitude. God is watching us all. We will all become men of yesteryear

(1) (Reply)

2 Christian Preachers Fight Over A Preaching Spot In Lagos (Video) / Single Mum Takes Abortion Pills Live On Social Media / Police Officer Commits Suicide By Setting Himself Ablaze At His Home

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.