Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,963 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:18 AM

Two US Citizens Arrested After Beach Invasion Aimed At Ousting Nicolas Maduro - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Two US Citizens Arrested After Beach Invasion Aimed At Ousting Nicolas Maduro (474 Views)

2 Ex-US Soldiers Attempt To Assasinate Maduro, Venezuelan President / Venezuelan Military Truck Ran Into Citizens Protesting Against President Maduro / Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro Survives Assassination Attempt Using Drones (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Two US Citizens Arrested After Beach Invasion Aimed At Ousting Nicolas Maduro by dermmy(m): 6:50am On May 05, 2020
Venezuelan authorities have detained two US citizens allegedly working with a US military veteran who has claimed responsibility for a failed armed incursion into the oil-producing country, President Nicolas Maduro said on Monday.

In a state television address, Maduro said authorities arrested 13 “terrorists” on Monday allegedly involved in a plot he said was coordinated with Washington to enter the South American country via the Caribbean coast and oust him.

Eight people were killed during the foiled incursion attempt on Sunday, Venezuelan authorities said.

Maduro showed what he said were the US passports and other identification cards belonging to Airan Berry and Luke Denman, who he said were in custody and had been working with Jordan Goudreau, an American military veteran who leads a Florida-based security company called Silvercorp USA.

“They were playing Rambo. They were playing hero,” Maduro said, adding that Venezuelan authorities had caught wind of the plot before its execution.

Goudreau, who identified himself as an organiser of the invasion on Sunday, told Reuters on Monday that Berry and Denman were also involved.

“They’re working with me. Those are my guys,” he said by telephone.

The State Department did not provide any immediate comment on the alleged arrests. US officials have strongly denied any US government involvement in the incursions.

A person familiar with the matter said the two US citizens were captured on Monday in a second-day roundup of accomplices and were believed to be in the custody of Venezuelan military intelligence.

The source, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the details came from contacts with Venezuelan security forces.

Opposition leader, Juan Guaido, who the US has backed to be president of Venezuela, cast doubt on the government’s version of Sunday’s events, insisting Maduro is seeking to distract from other problems in recent days including a deadly prison riot and a violent gang battle in Caracas.

Guaido’s communications team on Monday denied media reports that Guaido had hired Silvercorp to remove Maduro by force, adding the opposition leader and his allies “have no relationship with or responsibility for the actions of the company Silvercorp.”

In a statement on Monday evening, Guaido’s team said: “We demand the human rights ... of the people captured in recent hours be respected.“

Washington has imposed tough economic sanctions against Venezuela in an effort to oust Maduro, whom it accuses of having rigged elections in 2018. Maduro’s government says the United States wants to control Venezuela’s massive oil reserves.

Monday’s arrests come after Maduro’s government on Sunday said mercenaries had attempted to enter the South American country on speed boats from neighbouring Colombia, saying eight people had been killed and two detained.

Later on Sunday, Goudreau released a video identifying himself as an organiser of the alleged invasion, alongside dissident Venezuelan military officer Javier Nieto.

Goudreau said in the video that fighters on the ground continued to carry out operations in different parts of the country.

He identified one of the fighters as “Commander Sequea,” which appeared to be a reference to Antonio Sequea, who was identified on Monday by state television as one of the people arrested.

Silvercorp’s website describes Goudreau as a “highly decorated Special Forces Iraq and Afghanistan veteran.“

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/05/venezuela-detains-two-americans-allegedly-involved-in-failed-raid-to-remove-maduro

1 Like

Re: Two US Citizens Arrested After Beach Invasion Aimed At Ousting Nicolas Maduro by DelTel(m): 7:15am On May 05, 2020
How many times did US invade Cuba and failed undecided.

2 Likes

Re: Two US Citizens Arrested After Beach Invasion Aimed At Ousting Nicolas Maduro by olamidedivotee(f): 7:19am On May 05, 2020
Re: Two US Citizens Arrested After Beach Invasion Aimed At Ousting Nicolas Maduro by dermmy(m): 7:21am On May 05, 2020
DelTel:
How many times did US invade Cuba and failed undecided.

Bravo!!!

You remind me of the bay of pigs invasion. The escambray rebellion and over 657 assasination attempt on Fidel Castro's life by U.S. CIA, everything failed.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Two US Citizens Arrested After Beach Invasion Aimed At Ousting Nicolas Maduro by yungchop: 8:21am On May 05, 2020
dermmy:

Bravo!!!

You remind me of the bay of pigs invasion. The escambray rebellion and over 657 assasination attempt on Fidel Castro's life by U.S. CIA, everything failed.
please is there any movie on it?
Re: Two US Citizens Arrested After Beach Invasion Aimed At Ousting Nicolas Maduro by dermmy(m): 8:32am On May 05, 2020
yungchop:
please is there any movie on it?

Yea there's a documentary on the failed U.S. assasination attempts tittled "638 ways to kill castro" .

1 Like

Re: Two US Citizens Arrested After Beach Invasion Aimed At Ousting Nicolas Maduro by Elpacino481(m): 10:19am On May 05, 2020
dermmy:

Bravo!!!

Damn! This Castro of a guy must be a Cat with Nine Lives.

2 Likes

Re: Two US Citizens Arrested After Beach Invasion Aimed At Ousting Nicolas Maduro by yungchop: 10:22am On May 05, 2020
dermmy:

Yea there's a documentary on the failed U.S. assasination attempts tittled "638 ways to kill castro" .
thanks bro.. I so much appreciate. Are there other documentaries you can recommend? I love watching all these American intelligence movies

1 Like

Re: Two US Citizens Arrested After Beach Invasion Aimed At Ousting Nicolas Maduro by Nobody: 6:21am On May 06, 2020
If that was really an invasion[which I really do not doubt by the way], then I don't think for a second that the US government- as an institution- was behind it.

It was way too sloppy a job to have been orchestrated by the government of a proper country.

If anything, I strongly believe that it was the job of a few military adventurers funded by some American billionaires and Venezuelan opposition leaders in exile.

That means that there is a high possibility that it was a private invasion/coup attempt. Not government-funded as the Venezuelan government wants us to believe.

From the very first minute that I watched the video, I did not believe that the US government was behind it.

But trust Maduro to pounce on this and label it as an attempt by the US government to overthrow him. It would look good for his propaganda drive for sure and buy him more sympathies at home.

If you want to know how sloppy and shoddy private coup attempts like these can be, then read up about the Wonga Coup. Those things hardly take off properly.
Re: Two US Citizens Arrested After Beach Invasion Aimed At Ousting Nicolas Maduro by dermmy(m): 7:06am On May 06, 2020
mansakhalifa:
If that was really an invasion[which I really do not doubt by the way], then I don't think for a second that the US government- as an institution- was behind it.

It was way too sloppy a job to have been orchestrated by the government of a proper country.

If anything, I strongly believe that it was the job of a few military adventurers funded by some American billionaires and Venezuelan opposition leaders in exile.

That means that there is a high possibility that it was a private invasion/coup attempt. Not government-funded as the Venezuelan government wants us to believe.

From the very first minute that I watched the video, I did not believe that the US government was behind it.

But trust Maduro to pounce on this and label it as an attempt by the US government to overthrow him. It would look good for his propaganda drive for sure and buy him more sympathies at home.

If you want to know how sloppy and shoddy private coup attempts like these can be, then read up about the Wonga Coup. Those things hardly take off properly.

That does not mean U.S does not have a hand in it. There were many sloppy and shoddy coup attempt orchestrated and funded by the CIA in an attempt to unseat and even assasinate Castro during the cold war. Cuban dissident groups in the U.S. like Alpha 66 and Omega 7 had connections with the U.S government. Eduardo Arocena the leader of the Omega 7 even confessed he was trained by the CIA.

Miguel Orozco and Pedro Vera Ortiz were cuban dissidents that helped private organizations and U.S government to carry out sabotage operations in Cuba. It's normal for America to deny its involvement in an operation like this.

3 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (Reply)

See How The African Leader Was Humiliated And Died In The Most Mysterious Way / Muslims Riots And Burnt Police Station In India After A Person Criticize Prophet / Mali Coup Updates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.