Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,050 members, 7,810,906 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:08 PM

MUSA YAR'ADUA: 7 Highlights And Achievements Of his Political Career - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / MUSA YAR'ADUA: 7 Highlights And Achievements Of his Political Career (1966 Views)

Osinbajo Pays Courtesy Visit To Late President Musa Yar'Adua's Mother / Jonathan, Atiku, Saraki Remember Umaru Musa Yar'adua 11 Years After His Death / Shehu Musa Yar'adua Opens The Lagos-Ibadan Expressway In 1978 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

MUSA YAR'ADUA: 7 Highlights And Achievements Of his Political Career by Olofofotv: 3:40pm On May 05, 2020
@OLOFOFO TV

Today marks 10 years since Nigeria's 2nd democratic president, Late Umar Musa Yar'Adua died in office.

OLOFOFO TV,looks at some highlights and achievements of the late president during his political career.

1. YAR'ADUA as Governor of Kastina state -

Umar Musa Yar'Adua, a former lecturer of the college of the arts, science and technology in Kaduna was inaugurated on May 29th,1999 as the 1st democratic governor of Katsina state.

He was reelected as the governor of the Northwest state in 2003 and ruled till 2007.

2. YAR'ADUA emergence as Flag bearer of the PDP in the 2007 Presidential election -

In December 2006, the late Umar Yar'Adua who was then governor of Katsina state, emerged as the presidential candidate for the People Democratic Party after receiving 3,024 votes defeating the Senator representing Imo-west and Former governor of Imo state, Senator Rochas Okorocha who received 372 votes only.

3. His emergence as the President of Nigeria -

In an election held on 21st of April, 2007, the late Umar Musa Yar'Adua was announced winner after receiving 70% of the vote (24.6 million ) of the 2007 General election.

His emergence as president was strongly criticized by the two main oppository candidates, now President Mohammed Buhari of the All Nigeria People's Party (ANPP) and Atiku Abubakar of the Action Congress (AC) alleging rigging in favour of the late president.

4. Assets Declaration -

On 28 June 2007, the late Umar Musa Yar'Adua publicly declared his assets and that of his wife.

According to him, he had N856,452,892 (5.8 million US Dollars) in assets and his wife had 19 million (0.1 million US dollars).

His declaration made him the First Nigeria president to declare his assets publicly.

5. Niger-Delta Amnesty Programme -

The late Umar Musa Yar'Adua initiated the amnesty programme for Niger-Delta militants.

This programme offered unconditional pardon and cash rewards for hundreds of youths who dropped their arms.

6. Seven Point Agenda -

Umar Musa Yar'Adua unveiled a seven Point national agenda which includes :
- Critical infrastructural development in power, energy and transportation

- Focus on development issues in the Niger Delta.

- Wealth creation through diversification of the economy and source of government revenue.

- Human capital development.

- Review of land tenure regulations.

- Security.

- Food security

Though the administration wasn't able to complete its agenda due to the late Musa Yar'Adua's illness and then his death.

7. Illness and Death -

In November 2009, President Yar'Adua left Nigeria to Saudi Arabia after taking ill.

His absence in public causing power vacuum which later saw his deputy, Dr Goodluck Jonathan installment as acting president.

The former Katsina governor, returned to Nigeria on 24th February 2010 with reports that he was under life support. He later died on 5th of May,2010 and buried in an islamic rites on the 6th of May.

Umar Musa Yar'Adua was the fourth Nigerian leader to die in office.

Source;

https://www.olofofotv.com/2020/05/musa-yaradua-7-highlights-and.html?m=1

Re: MUSA YAR'ADUA: 7 Highlights And Achievements Of his Political Career by Supan(m): 3:41pm On May 05, 2020
Pls, include Rule of law.

This is one the best gift the core north has given to Nigeria.

He ensured fairness in all businesses eg when he freed Ibeto Cement from Obj's lockdown. He also compensated him with import waivers, much to the chagrin of Dangote cement, his co competitor.

Rip Musa Yaradua
Re: MUSA YAR'ADUA: 7 Highlights And Achievements Of his Political Career by thesicilian: 3:44pm On May 05, 2020
Yar Adua was as incompetent as those before and after him. Seems the only high point of his presidency was the public declaration of assets. Of his 7point agenda, none saw the light of day. Nigerians will always claim you're a saint when you're dead.
Re: MUSA YAR'ADUA: 7 Highlights And Achievements Of his Political Career by Saifulah: 3:46pm On May 05, 2020
Why is our past always brighter than the future? I fear curse is yet to be lifted.
Re: MUSA YAR'ADUA: 7 Highlights And Achievements Of his Political Career by Supan(m): 3:48pm On May 05, 2020
Saifulah:
Why is our past always brighter than the future? I fear curse is yet to be lifted.

Truley, I always suspect Nigeria has always been under a curse; Not to prosper.

Sincerely my brother, I fear.
Re: MUSA YAR'ADUA: 7 Highlights And Achievements Of his Political Career by Nobody: 3:49pm On May 05, 2020
Why are we trying to rewrite history? Admittedly, things were better then compared to the hell Nigerians are living in today but he was just as corrupt, the saving grace is his unexpected passing but we mustn't make him a martyr because he died on the job.
Re: MUSA YAR'ADUA: 7 Highlights And Achievements Of his Political Career by Nobody: 3:51pm On May 05, 2020
Supan:

Truley, I always suspect Nigeria has always been under a curse not to prosper.

Sincerely my brother, I fear

By whom? I think Nigerians were deceived into independence, the independence leaders wanted independence for self-interests and generational wealth. Till this day, descendants of those independence leaders will never know poverty.
Re: MUSA YAR'ADUA: 7 Highlights And Achievements Of his Political Career by Supan(m): 3:55pm On May 05, 2020
thesicilian:
Yar Adua was as incompetent as those before and after him. Seems the only high point of his presidency was the public declaration of assets. Of his 7point agenda, none saw the light of day. Nigerians will always claim you're a saint when you're dead.

Pls can you explain any incompetency during his short time?

It was under Yaradua that Boko Haram was defeated.
On the other hand, he granted amnesty to Niger delta militants.
Biafran separatists then, Massob died under him, because there was nothing to agitate about again.
He was fair to all. There was peace all over Nigeria.

Rip Musa Yaradua
Re: MUSA YAR'ADUA: 7 Highlights And Achievements Of his Political Career by Supan(m): 4:07pm On May 05, 2020
MelaninSkinGirl:

By whom? I think Nigerians were deceived into independence, the independence leaders wanted independence for self-interests and generational wealth. Till this day, descendants of those independence leaders will never know poverty.

Who are these independence leaders? Whoever, they are all victims too.

The only independent leader I know is Britain. They made sure we would be on each other's neck once we got our independence. It was only a matter of time before we began killing ourselves... And We kill ourselves and took joy in doing it.

Has it ever occurred to you that Yar adua could have been poisoned by the controlling world powers.

Just when Nigeria was about getting it right. Then boom... The right man to do it died, then we went back to square one.
Re: MUSA YAR'ADUA: 7 Highlights And Achievements Of his Political Career by Nobody: 4:17pm On May 05, 2020
Supan:

Who are these independence leaders? Whoever, they are all victims too.

The only independent leader I know is Britain. They made sure we would be on each other's neck once we got our independence. It was only a matter of time before we began killing ourselves... And We kill ourselves and took joy in doing it.

Has it ever occurred to you that Yar adua could have been poisoned by the controlling world powers.

Just when Nigeria was about getting it right. Then boom... The right man to do it died, then we went back to square one.

Its been 60 years since Independence, we cannot continue to blame the British. The Independence leaders Awolowo/Azikiwe/Tafawa Balewa were all handed a Nigeria that was functioning, there was the framework for development already set up. In fact 1960 is better than 2020. Blame the corrupt people who really only wanted their snouts in the trough. The British at the time said Nigeria was not ready for independence and 60 years later they are still right. Look at the mismanagement, underdevelopment and corruption that is rife in this country. We cannot continue blaming the white man.

The African country with white people still in it is doing well (South Africa). Controversial comment but I wish Nigeria never sought for independence.
Re: MUSA YAR'ADUA: 7 Highlights And Achievements Of his Political Career by ayinde2020: 4:33pm On May 05, 2020
Good governance
Re: MUSA YAR'ADUA: 7 Highlights And Achievements Of his Political Career by Supan(m): 4:47pm On May 05, 2020
MelaninSkinGirl:

Its been 60 years since Independence, we cannot continue to blame the British. The Independence leaders Awolowo/Azikiwe/Tafawa Balewa were all handed a Nigeria that was functioning, there was the framework for development already set up. In fact 1960 is better than 2020. Blame the corrupt people who really only wanted their snouts in the trough. The British at the time said Nigeria was not ready for independence and 60 years later they are still right. Look at the mismanagement, underdevelopment and corruption that is rife in this country. We cannot continue blaming the white man.

The African country with white people still in it is doing well (South Africa). Controversial comment but I wish Nigeria never sought for independence.

It will be so hard to explain it to you. But they are still our problems till today.

If we had continued prospering, we would be more prosperous than them just like our currency was more valued in 1960 than theirs.

Which mother country would want that?
They just set the stage for our downfall and we fell.

Our loss is their gain!
Re: MUSA YAR'ADUA: 7 Highlights And Achievements Of his Political Career by Nobody: 4:52pm On May 05, 2020
Supan:

It will be so hard to explain it to you. But they are still our problems till today.

If we had continued prospering, we would be more prosperous than them just like our currency was more valued in 1960 than theirs.

Which mother country would want that?
They just set the stage for our downfall and we fell.

Our loss is their gain!

I get what you are coming from but its been 60 years we cannot continue to blame them. We continue to elect visionless crooks into power, how can we expect change?

(1) (Reply)

The Most Cosmopolitan States In Nigeria - My Opinion / Moment Fashola Went On The Tollgate Inspection Alongside SW Governors / Warning: Any Attempt To Arrest Sunday Igboho Will Trigger Southern Outrage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.