Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,177 members, 7,815,129 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:50 AM

What Many Doesn’t Know About River Niger (photos ) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Many Doesn’t Know About River Niger (photos ) (3583 Views)

Tinubu: I'll Dredge River Niger and develop Baro Port / Biafra: Can We Build A Port At Onicha River Niger[photos ] / It’s Not True That Buhari Doesn’t Know How To Govern —Osinbajo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Many Doesn’t Know About River Niger (photos ) by Beautifulminde3: 12:56pm On May 06, 2020
River Niger is an international waterway

The Niger Basin has been governed by a series of agreements in the post-colonial era, including:
Act Regarding Navigation and Economic Co-operation between the States of the Niger Basin, done at Niamey, Niger, 26 October 1963, entered into force 1 February 1966 (“1963 Act”);
Agreement Concerning the Niger River Commission and the Navigation and Transport on the River Niger, done at Niamey, Niger, 25 November 1964, entered into force 12 April 1966;
Agreement Revising the Agreement Concerning the Niger River Commission and the Navigation and Transport on the River Niger of 25 November 1964, adopted at Niamey, Niger, 15 June 1973, entered into force 15 December 1973 (“Niamey Agreement”);
Convention Creating the Niger Basin Authority, concluded at Faranah, Guinea, 21 November 1980, entered into force 3 December 1982 (the “1980 Convention”);
Protocol relating to the Development Fund of the Niger Basin, done in Faranah, Guinea, 21 November 1980, entered into force 3 December 1982 (the “Protocol”); and
Niger Basin Water Charter, signed in Niamey, Niger, 30 April 2008 (“Water Charter”).
The 1980 Convention significantly revised, but did not replace, the Niamey Agreement. While the 1980 Convention established the Niger Basin Authority in lieu of the Niger River Commission, it did not displace provisions of the Niamey Agreement relating to navigation in particular. Additional revisions and supplementary provisions relating to aspects of the 1980 Convention include:

Revised Financial Rules of the Niger Basin Authority, concluded at Nndjamena. Chad, 27 October 1987; and
Revised Convention Creating The Niger Basin Authority, concluded at Nndjamena, Chad, 27 October 1987 (“Convention”).
Additionally, the Heads of State and Government of the Niger Basin Authority Member States signed the Paris Declaration on 27 April 2004, which set out certain “principles of management and good governance for the sustainable and shared development of the Niger Basin.”

Member States:

The Niger Basin Authority (“NBA”) Member States include the following riparian states of the Niger River: Niger, Benin, Chad, Guinea, Côte d’Ivoire, Mali, Nigeria, Cameroon and Burkina Faso.

Geographical Scope:

The Niger River is the third longest river in Africa, running 4,200 km with an average annual flow of 180 km3. The basin itself covers an area of 2.2 million km2. The Niger River’s two main branches constitute its hydrological system, reinforced by tributaries from Guinea, Côte d’Ivoire, Burkina Faso and Benin. More than 100 million people currently reside in the Niger Basin.

Functions:

As provided in the Convention, the NBA’s purpose is to promote cooperation among the Member States and to ensure an integrated development of the Niger Basin in the fields of energy, water resources, agriculture, animal husbandry, fishing and fisheries, forestry, transport, communications and industry. More specifically, the Convention provides that the NBA is responsible for harmonizing and coordinating national development policies; assisting in the development of an integrated development plan for the Basin; promoting projects of common interest; assuring the regulation of navigation consistent with the 1963 Act; and requesting assistance and mobilizing financing for studies and research on Basin resources. The NBA is also tasked with maintaining contact with the Member States and keeping them informed of its work. Reciprocally, Member States have pledged to inform the Executive Secretary of the NBA of projects they propose to carry out in the Basin. In the past, the NBA has implemented its objectives and responsibilities through the Development Fund of the Niger Basin, which was established by the Protocol accompanying the 1980 Convention. All NBA Member States are also members of the Fund, which is tasked with collecting the necessary financial resources to implement NBA objectives and to guarantee loans for NBA projects. Resources are derived, inter alia, from Member State contributions, external sources and income from the Development Fund’s operations.

http://www.internationalwatersgovernance.com/niger-basin.html

Lalasticlala

Re: What Many Doesn’t Know About River Niger (photos ) by Beautifulminde3: 12:59pm On May 06, 2020
International water law

Re: What Many Doesn’t Know About River Niger (photos ) by Kestolove(m): 1:00pm On May 06, 2020
Nd no river in niger state

1 Like

Re: What Many Doesn’t Know About River Niger (photos ) by Beautifulminde3: 1:02pm On May 06, 2020
Kestolove:
Nd no river in niger state
It's good to study.
Re: What Many Doesn’t Know About River Niger (photos ) by jen4r: 1:07pm On May 06, 2020
� OK....
Re: What Many Doesn’t Know About River Niger (photos ) by Beautifulminde3: 1:08pm On May 06, 2020
Any body with mindset that Igboland is landlocked is ignorant, so far River Niger link to Atlantic Ocean, all is requires is dredging, north knew why they built Baro port in Niger state and Lokoja, if Nigeria separate today north and east has every right to use the River without obstruction

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Many Doesn’t Know About River Niger (photos ) by Nobody: 1:16pm On May 06, 2020
War of post and counter post.. LMAO

Who am I if not to be reading anyone that comes up.

Finally anything aside SE and North relationship, count me out. I need some beneficial and not parasitic or antagonistic.
Re: What Many Doesn’t Know About River Niger (photos ) by Beautifulminde3: 1:17pm On May 06, 2020
Ignorant minds should go and read Danube River, it's use by many countries today, Danube link to Black Sea

3 Likes

Re: What Many Doesn’t Know About River Niger (photos ) by Nobody: 1:19pm On May 06, 2020
Beautifulminde3:
Any body with mindset that Igboland is landlocked is ignorant, so far River link to Atlantic Ocean, all is requires is dredging, north knew why they built Baro port in Niger state and Lokoja, if Nigeria separate to north and east have every right to use the River without obstruction

That's good @ bolded

I have supported East relationship with North because it is more beneficial and productive both business wise and any thing you can term it.

Anything aside that is an anathema and people with stereotyped mind.

SE and North relationship is what is needed because it is highly mutual and not parasitic. This is my stand all these years. Business and trading.

I won't support anything less.

1 Like

Re: What Many Doesn’t Know About River Niger (photos ) by Genoa(m): 1:21pm On May 06, 2020
NBC stats causing sleepless night in Alaigbo.

Poverty capital of southern Nigeria.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Many Doesn’t Know About River Niger (photos ) by Beautifulminde3: 1:24pm On May 06, 2020
Several international treaties have established freedom of navigation on semi-enclosed seas.

The Copenhagen Convention of 1857 opened access to the Baltic by abolishing the Sound Dues and making the Danish Straits an international waterway free to all commercial and military shipping.
Several conventions have opened the Bosphorus and Dardanelles to shipping. The latest, the Montreux Convention Regarding the Regime of the Turkish Straits, maintains the straits' status as an international waterway.
Other international treaties have opened up rivers, which are not traditionally international waterways.

Case study

The Danube River is an international waterway so that landlocked Austria, Hungary, Moldova, Serbia and Slovakia can have secure access to the Black Sea.

2 Likes

Re: What Many Doesn’t Know About River Niger (photos ) by Gracchus: 1:29pm On May 06, 2020
Genoa:

I swear, they have never had a good sleep since NBC released that Stat. The thing really pain dem. Bunch of wanderers!!

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Many Doesn’t Know About River Niger (photos ) by Deebwebb: 1:29pm On May 06, 2020
winkdanube river,nice one...same thing will happen if we get Biafra,especially my region in delta that have access to sea and we are igbos,although some igbos claim we are delta-igbo,but Yoruba's hate staying alone, they will rather Die than stay alone in a country,just two weeks.lockdown look what yorubas are doing, stealing and killing people...if only eastern region will write down laws and constitution then come together as one and leave nigeria,but Yoruba's know what that means,so that's why they are doing every thing to cause disunity between the South south and south east,they need us to stop the South east from leaving,because without us they can't do anything to Igbo's,bunch of cowards,after backstabbing goodluck they need new allies.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Many Doesn’t Know About River Niger (photos ) by Beautifulminde3: 1:29pm On May 06, 2020
Juliusmalema:

That's good @ bolded

I have supported East relationship with North because it is more beneficial and productive both business wise and any thing you can term it.

Anything aside that is an anathema and people with stereotyped mind.

SE and North relationship is what is needed because it is highly mutual and not parasitic. This is my stand all these years. Business and trading.

I won't support anything less.

Reason why Nigeria doesn't what to spend much to dredge River Niger now is because there're ports within our shores, River Niger is important to the North and Igbos, if Nigeria separate to both will agree to dredge the River.
Re: What Many Doesn’t Know About River Niger (photos ) by Gracchus: 1:30pm On May 06, 2020
Upon all the noise they make about River Niger, the river is really not that navigable, there is a reason why the only recognized fully navigable river in Africa is The Nile. The other rivers are just seasonally navigable.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: What Many Doesn’t Know About River Niger (photos ) by Beautifulminde3: 1:42pm On May 06, 2020
Gracchus:
Upon all the noise they make about River Niger, the river is really not that navigable, there is a reason why the only recognized fully navigable river in Africa is The Nile. The other rivers are just seasonally navigable.
I know you guys with your propaganda nature always try to rewrite history, during the colonial times, the colonial authorities The Royal Niger Company and their French counterparts used the Rivers Niger and Benue as routes to move raw materials from the hinterland and exports from Northern Cameroun for industries in Europe and Northern America.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Many Doesn’t Know About River Niger (photos ) by Beautifulminde3: 1:47pm On May 06, 2020
Gracchus:
As at today Julius Beger Nigeria is using same River Niger route to bring in their cargoes with barges for the Second Niger bridge project.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Many Doesn’t Know About River Niger (photos ) by Racoon(m): 1:51pm On May 06, 2020
Beautifulminde3:

As at today Julius Beger Nigeria is using same River Niger route to bring in their cargoes with barges for the Second Niger bridge project.
They seem to forget that fact.

7 Likes

Re: What Many Doesn’t Know About River Niger (photos ) by Beautifulminde3: 1:53pm On May 06, 2020
Racoon:
They seem to forget that fact.
Many of them hovering here are empty block heads, deceiving gullible minds.

3 Likes

Re: What Many Doesn’t Know About River Niger (photos ) by Beautifulminde3: 2:05pm On May 06, 2020
cc.Throwback come here let me lecture you, you were in the other side dishing out lies just to misinform gullible minds from your tribe, area you know you are empty , that's how you guys go about deceiving yourselves just to feel good

6 Likes

Re: What Many Doesn’t Know About River Niger (photos ) by Nobody: 2:09pm On May 06, 2020
Gracchus:

Avoid copy and paste.

4 Likes

Re: What Many Doesn’t Know About River Niger (photos ) by Beautifulminde3: 2:11pm On May 06, 2020
Lalasticlala please move this to front page we need to cure many ignorant minds

4 Likes

Re: What Many Doesn’t Know About River Niger (photos ) by lastempero: 2:15pm On May 06, 2020
Even my biafran brothers doesnt even know that we have better option than the river niger, azumiri in ndoki is far better than river Niger.

4 Likes

Re: What Many Doesn’t Know About River Niger (photos ) by Beautifulminde3: 2:36pm On May 06, 2020
lastempero:
Even my biafran brothers doesnt even know that we have better option than the river niger, azumiri in ndoki is far better than river Niger.
AZUMIRI isn't international water, it bordered other tribes, and if the say no, you can't change it, Rivers Niger has been designated as international waterway, and many countries that bordered the Niger are members

3 Likes

Re: What Many Doesn’t Know About River Niger (photos ) by lastempero: 2:56pm On May 06, 2020
Beautifulminde3:

AZUMIRI isn't international water, it bordered other tribes, and if the say no, you can't change it, Rivers Niger has been designated as international waterway, and many countries that bordered the Niger are members

Direct access to Atlantic ocean and that gives you right to explore it, i thought you know more about international waters.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Many Doesn’t Know About River Niger (photos ) by Gracchus: 3:02pm On May 06, 2020
Beautifulminde3:

I know you guys with your propaganda nature always try to rewrite history, during the colonial times, the colonial authorities The Royal Niger Company and their French counterparts used the Rivers Niger and Benue as routes to move raw materials from the hinterland and exports from Northern Cameroun for industries in Europe and Northern America.
Trash as usual, if they used those rivers so much, why then did they build railroads connecting North to the South? They could have depended totally on those rivers.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Many Doesn’t Know About River Niger (photos ) by Marine54(m): 3:09pm On May 06, 2020
Genoa:

Shut up! Am not an ibo, I,'m frm SS. That stats is not true..we all know the way the yaruba manipulate things to thier favour usijg their positions. That will never change the existing fact.

5 Likes

Re: What Many Doesn’t Know About River Niger (photos ) by Beautifulminde3: 3:15pm On May 06, 2020
Gracchus:
Trash as usual, if they used those rivers so much, why then did they build railroads connecting North to the South? They could have depended totally on those rivers.
Ignorant minds always educate yourselves

Kindly read Chatham house report

3 Likes

Re: What Many Doesn’t Know About River Niger (photos ) by SIONKPO1(m): 3:17pm On May 06, 2020
Beautifulminde3:
Any body with mindset that Igboland is landlocked is ignorant, so far River link to Atlantic Ocean, all is requires is dredging, north knew why they built Baro port in Niger state and Lokoja, if Nigeria separate to north and east have every right to use the River without obstruction
You are still ignorant,
*River is different from ocean
*For you to allow ocean to flow into river,you will need to dredge from both sides and also create passage
*Dredge your river will cause massive and continuous flooding,thereby leading to lost of lives and properties
***Biafra needs Riverine rivers,Akwa Ibom and cross river states
come to think of it,why hasn't Lagos allowed dredging so as to create canals in Oyo and Ogun to help c

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: What Many Doesn’t Know About River Niger (photos ) by Genoa(m): 3:20pm On May 06, 2020
Marine54:
Shut up! Am not an ibo, I,'m frm SS. That stats is not true..we all know the way the yaruba manipulate things to thier favour usijg their positions. That will never change the exist fact.

I'm in my house come and beat me.

Everyone is now from SS.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Many Doesn’t Know About River Niger (photos ) by Gracchus: 3:21pm On May 06, 2020
Beautifulminde3:

Ignorant minds always educate yourselves

Kindly read Chatham house report
Yet they had to build railroads, why can't they just entirely rely on water transportation? Dumbo

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Many Doesn’t Know About River Niger (photos ) by Marine54(m): 3:25pm On May 06, 2020
Genoa:

I'm in my house come and beat me.

Everyone is now from SS.
i will be the most cursed person on earth to deny my tribe. I am from ss , akwa ibom to be procise....

4 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Thousand Of White British Citizens Currently Protesting In London / Nigerians React As Low Turnout Mars APC Rally In Katsina (Pictures) / I Asked CHATGPT: Is Northern Nigeria More Populated Than Southern Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.